HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey to Blame

Old
02-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Ryder, the guy whose name has been pretty much thrown in every rumor from Hossa to Tanguay, has played his best hockey in the past few games. On the other hand, the Markov-Komisarek pairing, Plekanec, and Huet has played, in my opinion, their worst hockey of the season.

Are you saying Gainey's statement about getting an impact player would be detrimental to the psychology of players that are locks to be not traded in Markov, Komisarek, Huet, and Plekanec?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Next Best Thing*

Wow never create a thread again. What the heck had Gainey to do with this loss? I read ur post and it flew right over my head because it was so non sensial. The players stopped playing for the team because they were expecting an impact player? That's why we are on a 2g losing streak right now? I feel like breaking *****.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:05 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yes, players hate their GM trying to improve their team.
Exactly. This thread makes no sense, every player knows that they can be moved and they are professionals and as such should not let it affect their game.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
Yeah, but if Higgins, O'Byrn, and Ryder are all in that category, then we have quite a bit of our middle tier players ... Higgins, as someone pointed out in another thread, has been awful recently. Once player on the team stop being effective it can spread throughout the team like wildfire.

I think the trade deadline will certainly settle the team, one way or another, and then we can focus on winning again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
That actually could be possible.

Looking at Higgins, I wouldn't be so sure that rumors aren't troubling him.

Players like Kovalev, Koivu, Smolinski, Hamrlik etc...have been through trade deadlines many times and know the procedure. I"m not saying it doesn't bother them, but IMO it would have a smaller effect.

With the younger players including Higgins, Plekanec and Ryder. This is probably the 1st time they have heard their names mentioned in trade rumours.

For Ryder and Higgins inparticular they know that they aren't playing well. They hear the rumours, and know that if a move is made that there is a good chance they could be involved.

I agree with Bacchus1, once the trade deadline passes. I think you will see the team start settling down and play more relaxed hockey.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-23-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:15 PM
SpreeEndaz

I blame Kovalev.

(This is so 2007)

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
He's obviously to blame because he suited up for the team and then opted not to play, disappointing the rest of the players.
Haha...thanks NyQuil, after watching my Habs lose to Columbus I needed the laugh.

Old
02-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Exactly. This thread makes no sense, every player knows that they can be moved and they are professionals and as such should not let it affect their game.

Easier said than done beowulf. We are still dealing with people who have problems like you and me. Just because they make a ton of money, doesn't mean that they aren't able to have any emotions.

Old
02-24-2008, 01:32 AM
L'Aveuglette
Beef-mode activated

vCash: 1000
Creating a thread blaming Gainey for the loss on the very night the team honors him, eh?

Nice.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Creating a thread blaming Gainey for the loss on the very night the team honors him, eh?

Nice.
God, you would think that it was Gainey that had the immaculate conception the way people seem to think that he is beyond reproach.

Furthermore, I wasn't criticizing him in so far as I want him run out of town tared-and-feathered on a rail, but I was suggesting that he made a bo-bo and has room to improve still.

Glad the inquisition is no longer about or I would be crawling around naked with my eyes gouged out and a hot poker up my a$$ for my blasphemies!

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 06:38 AM
David_99

Quote:
Gainey to Blame
Quote:
knee jerk reactionarism

Not blaming Gainey, I'm assessing situation.
Wow.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Wow.
Yes, the title is a little misleading, but anyone who read my whole post would see that I didn't lay all the blame at his feet. I think he made a tactical error ... that is it. Don't judge a book solely by it's title!

Old
02-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't see how Gainey can win no matter what he does. In case you've been living under a Canadian-Shield-sized rock, it's Trade Deadline Week here. And nowhere is the frenzy as frenzied as in the media centers of Montreal and Toronto. Gainey is inundated with questions. What's he supposed to say? "No, we're not making any moves" - Bad Gainey! Demoralizing the team by refusing to try to improve it when they have a title shot. Etc. Anything he says will get hyper-analyzed into meaninglessness.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:05 AM
brownman*

I don't blame Gainey for the slide...but I do blame him for the Armenian Genocide.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:16 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I agree. He's ****ing with the players minds. It's quite obvious.
What about Columbus' players ? There is strong rumours that they are trying to get Brad Richards. How come THEIR players are playing so well and blanked the Habs in Montreal yesterday nite ?

If their mind his ****ed up, then they don't have the mental making to play pro in the NHL.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
What about Columbus' players ? There is strong rumours that they are trying to get Brad Richards. How come THEIR players are playing so well and blanked the Habs in Montreal yesterday nite ?

If their mind his ****ed up, then they don't have the mental making to play pro in the NHL.
Is there GM on record as saying they are looking to get an impact player? If so, this might undermine my argument.

Old
02-24-2008, 08:51 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Is there GM on record as saying they are looking to get an impact player? If so, this might undermine my argument.
Awesome...

Your avatar is awesome...

What did you say?

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
I don't blame Gainey for the slide...but I do blame him for the Armenian Genocide.
Dont go blaming Gainey for that: the Armenian Genocide was entirely Team Canada's and Gretzky's fault!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:55 AM
33Roy33

If anything I think that Gainey saying he wants an impact player would make the players excited, I mean who doesn't want to be on a team that has a GM that wants to improve the team to get it to the next level. As a professional athlete players know the business and I don't think that "rumors" are going to affect their play in any huge negative way. Look what all the rumors did for Ryder.

If Gainey said he was standing pat I think we would all be calling for his head and saying he not trying to improve this team.

33Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Awesome...

Your avatar is awesome...

What did you say?
You sir are a man of fine taste!

Old
02-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Istvan

Quote:
I'm wondering how much impact Gainey's statement about getting an impact player has affected the psychology of the team. Since that statement the team has looked a lot weaker.

In terms of trying to get your trade partner to make a move, a bold declaration like this will pique interests ... however, for those players on the bubble they may just clutch their stick a little tighter.

Players on the bubble:

Ryder
Streit
Higgins
Huet
Koivu (highly unlikely, I know)
O'Byrn
Dandenault

(now this represents a large amount of the team, and if all of them are thinking about things other than winning, then you would have a distracted team effort.)

Before I get flammed, I love Gainey ... doesn't mean he doesn't live and learn like th rest of us mere mortals!
I think all teams are similarly effected by trade rumors approaching the dealine, even the teams that are presently beating the Habs.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:38 AM
InPriceWeTrust

Who creates a thread blaming Gainey on a night to honour him

losing is a part of the game, I'd say it was a good loss. Colombus is a pretty good team, with a hot goalie

your disrespect towards gainey on a night like last night, reminds me of the kinda of respect lack of intelligence most leaf fans have

InPriceWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:04 PM
harbsy87

i think that the players should prove to gainey they dont need an impact player to help them win they can win by themselves but they are not doing it right now so i guess bring the impact player in

harbsy87 is offline   Reply With Quote