HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rita vs. Mikhnov

View Poll Results: Which player do you sign?
Sign Rita 26 52.00%
Sign Mikhnov 24 48.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 03:36 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Rita vs. Mikhnov

I did this awhile back and we had some fun with it (Hemsky versus Torres).

Let's say this summer the Oilers are faced with EITHER signing Jani Rita to a one way contract (how many are there now? 30?) and signing Alexei Mikhnov to a contract.

For the sake of argument, let's say you can do one and not the other (transfer payments and such).

Which player do you keep?

Old
01-31-2004, 03:40 AM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
How about both? Are we that poor that we can't afford both?

Old
01-31-2004, 03:41 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Rita.

Just simply because he has proven that he can play in North America, and it is now just a matter of consistency.

Of course it would be nice to have both, but that isn't as much fun for you

Old
01-31-2004, 04:01 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
How about both? Are we that poor that we can't afford both?
We are talking hypothetical here.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:05 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
let me be the first to post that Mikhnov would be my selection. Purely due to the potential he has shown in the RSL which is supposedly just as hard as the AHL minus the extra assist. Couple that with the rave reviews and I would certainly take it, so far Rita has been passed by many in the organisation.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:08 AM
Digger12

I would have to say Rita, but only because I have seen nothing of Mihknov. Once he comes over, maybe I'd be totally the opposite. A hard poll since one guy's had much more exposure than the other.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:49 AM
The Rage

I would have to say Mikhnov because of his physical skills and the fact that he has proved himself in the second toughest league in the world.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:48 AM
Mizral

I still consider both bums, but Rita has a possible chance at being a decent bottom 6 guy. Mikhnov's stats, for his age, aren't anything special in the RSL. I doubt he ever comes over to North America at all.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:55 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
lol, miz - both bums.... if only the Canucks had one guy as good and with as much potential as they both do! Anyways - I was forced to pick Rita simply because I think he's more proven. He is a bit more of a safer pick, because even if he doesn't develop into a top six forward, his grit, skating, and decent defense would make him a good third/fourth liner type. Then, that could maybe be the case with Mikhnov too from all that I've read, I really don't know.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:28 PM
speeds

to me it's mikhnov without question, though I'd definitely like to see both signed.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:53 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
lol, miz - both bums.... if only the Canucks had one guy as good and with as much potential as they both do!
But Kesler and Fedorov will be the next Gretzky & Kurri, right Mizralble?

Anyways, I picked Rita, I don't know enough about Mikhnov to judge him, like a certain someone calling them "bums" when they likely don't have a clue about either.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
lol, miz - both bums.... if only the Canucks had one guy as good and with as much potential as they both do! Anyways - I was forced to pick Rita simply because I think he's more proven. He is a bit more of a safer pick, because even if he doesn't develop into a top six forward, his grit, skating, and decent defense would make him a good third/fourth liner type. Then, that could maybe be the case with Mikhnov too from all that I've read, I really don't know.
...............\|||/
..............(0 o)
...,---ooO--(_)----------,
...|````PLEASE````````|
...|``DON'T FEED````|
...|```THE TROLLS``|
...'--------------Ooo-----'
...........|__|__|
..............|| ||
.........ooO Ooo

Old
01-31-2004, 07:08 PM
pucklove

I'm going Mikhnov. I like the sounds of amazingly acurate wrist shot.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:27 PM
pucklove

Forgive me. I should have said," very percise with lightning quick release". I don't know if it has merrit but I like the sounds of it. (this is just opinion right.)
just something copied from the board. http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...tour_id=200401

Old
01-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Mizral

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Canucks have hot prospects either. Just not a fan of either of those two. I much prefer Salmelainnen whom I'm really starting to like a ton. He is a guy I think many people here don't talk about enough. Stoll too is another guy whom I think will be much better than those two. Real real good prospect.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:04 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Canucks have hot prospects either. Just not a fan of either of those two. I much prefer Salmelainnen whom I'm really starting to like a ton. He is a guy I think many people here don't talk about enough. Stoll too is another guy whom I think will be much better than those two. Real real good prospect.
With proper strenght training, I think Salmo has a chance to develop into something near a poormans Samsonov. The skill is already there.

And at thesame time, I wouldnt be writing off Rita and Mikhnov just yet. Theres alot of pretty high upper-end potential between those two.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:30 PM
Mizral

I suppose, but potential isn't everything. For example, Fedor Fedorov in Vancouver. I've all but written him off as an AHL'er. He's in the same boat as Rita. Supremely talented, big, and fast, but just has not been able to put up the numbers you'd think he could in the AHL, nor can he hack it well in the NHL.

I'm not sure if Salmo is equivilent to Samsonov in skill, but I agree they do look really similar. One thing I like about him is that he always seems involved. I think at the very least he will end up being a solid energy player. Maybe a Jason Blake would be a more apt description of what he ought to try to be?

Old
01-31-2004, 09:12 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I suppose, but potential isn't everything. For example, Fedor Fedorov in Vancouver. I've all but written him off as an AHL'er. He's in the same boat as Rita. Supremely talented, big, and fast, but just has not been able to put up the numbers you'd think he could in the AHL, nor can he hack it well in the NHL.

I'm not sure if Salmo is equivilent to Samsonov in skill, but I agree they do look really similar. One thing I like about him is that he always seems involved. I think at the very least he will end up being a solid energy player. Maybe a Jason Blake would be a more apt description of what he ought to try to be?
I was honestly thinking Tikkanen... if Salmo got a little bit of an edge to him.

Mind you he is pretty small, and it's unfair to ask him to try and develop that and become a very physical player.

Closed Thread