HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather wants to keep Jagr for 08-09

Old
02-24-2008, 07:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500

Glen Sather spoke to his favorite columnist Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal

Quote:
"Jagr is still the best player on our team. He's got two guys all over him most nights and he still draws lots of attention. I absolutely want him back next year," said Sather
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...1f&k=99813&p=1

More Sather.Same link

Quote:
Jagr has a no-trade clause like a lot of NHLers, which Sather has no problem with. It's for their protection.

"There's around 80 of those in the league now. The no-trade just means a player can tell you where he wants to go. It gives the player a bit of control over his own destiny," said Sather.

"I remember when we traded Brian Leetch to Toronto (2006), he didn't want to go ... a great player, at the end of his career, he wanted to stay where he was, but he didn't have a no-trade clause," said Sather. "It was a real key piece for us to be able to retool our team. But I know Brian was upset
."
Jagr has a NTC?

Brian is still upset.

On Henrik Lundqvist's contract

Quote:
"He's been a Vezina finalist the last two years, look at his wins and losses, his goal average ... he's the guy. We had to lock him up, now," said Sather. "If we hadn't been able to sign him, do you not think somebody would give him $8 million or $9 million? Sure they would."

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 08:00 AM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Glen Sather spoke to his favorite columnist Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...1f&k=99813&p=1

I am definitely with Sather on this one.

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
I am definitely with Sather on this one.
I've been arguing it for month.

There are no options on the open market. Hossa will get something like 7*8m; easily. If he even lasts to July 1st. He could be off the market come Wendsday (sp?).

There are no options within the org, nobody who in 7 month can step up and become a nr 1 RW.

And I just don't see a market out there where Jagr could get traded and bring back a someone who could replace him next season either. I've said that all year. If Slats declared today that hed take the highest bid for JJ, no matter what, on Tuesday -- I truely belive that we only would get sheit offers. The reason for it is simple -- people giving up assets now are contenders -- ALREADY. The NHL is really tough this year; and if you are a top 8th overall in the league you are dooing something right.

Jaromir Jagr is unique in this league. Nobody plays like him. Like a Gary Roberts can come onto a contender and take 'someone who plays the same style as him's' role. Vancouver gotta rebuild a entire unit if they get Jagr. Dallas gotta do it. Anaheim gotta do it. So he is not a easy pickup. Centers and D's really gotta adopt to him whereever he goes. If he himself where a center it would have been easier.

And, there is of course all the usual questionmarks surronding Jagr. I am sure Vancouvers GM is thinking, if I give up allot for JJ, and he comes here but "don't show up", its my arse. I would think that. I would be scrared sheit if I was a GM in this league and I offered a big package for what I knew would be a couple of months rental of JJ.

So, no options. If we can get JJ back cheap -- its great. Keep squezz your tumbs!!!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:09 AM
WheresBarnaby

I think I've run out of smilies. He better be playing the second line or lower if he's back again, which of course won't happen.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 30864
Why not have him back? Yes hes not the player he once was but his numbers have been up lately nd we wont get more bang for the buck at 4 million.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:28 AM
mstraka82

yay JAROMIR JAGR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:33 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I'd rather have 1 more year of Jagr at his current salary - $5 million or so - than commit $8-9 million for 7 to 8 years of Marian Hossa.

Last edited by jas: 02-24-2008 at 10:04 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'd tather have 1 more year of Jagr at his current salary - $5 million or so - than commit $8-9 million for 7 to 8 years of Marian Hossa.
Pretty much, but the question could be whether he'll stay for $4-5 mill. Also, I think it's time to move away from him as the captain, but I'm not sure how he'd take that. I don't think he'd be too upset, but you never know.

Still, the focus of the team should be less about Jagr now, and bringing him back to be more of a "team" guy instead of the default "go to guy for all of the offense" would work well, I think, if the price is right.

I think it's definitely true that he draws away a lot of attention from other players and makes it easier for them to do their team, and if he's gone, things are going to get harder for the other scorers

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:53 AM
beastly115

This begs the question. If Jagr is staying, does that mean Straka will stay for another year, too?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:20 AM
MrJagr68

man im so happy to hear that

MrJagr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:29 AM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
good news cuz shanny will prolly be gone

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Speedtrials

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
This begs the question. If Jagr is staying, does that mean Straka will stay for another year, too?
I hope so, I think we need those two guys around for next year to avoid putting a ton of pressure on our young wingers. Guys like Callahan and Dawes, are just starting to find some consistency in the NHL, I don't think the Rangers want to rely on them for a ton of scoring next year.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Pizza

Good. I Agree with Slats. The team will be better with him than without.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:38 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

The Czech project is over....

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:17 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Very good

Get it done Slats.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:21 AM
ThirdEye

As long as Jagr accepts the fact that the team isn't built around him anymore (which I think he already has) than fine. We're not going to deal him at the deadline anyway, so might as well have him back at a discount next year.

His defensive play has been much better than it was earlier.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:22 AM
robertch

Jags is a great ranger.

robertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:22 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
The Czech project is over....

I'm with you...

For me its a flip of a coin. I wanna get rid of him because he's only good for puck control recently. He's been making bad decisions with the puck and not scoring, so he's basically useless; not to mention he doesnt hit. But on the other hand the last few days he's made some nice passes along with the tip-in goal last nite, so idk, tough choice. I woudlnt go as far to say he's the best player on the team right now though.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:28 AM
eco's bones

I would have no problem with Jaromir coming back as long as he'd accept less money. $4.5 to 5 mil would about do it for me. He's still a dangerous player--and whether his season has been not up to the usual standards--he's helped bring Dubinsky along nicely. I wouldn't say those two have great chemistry yet--but they are becoming more and more dangerous together.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:29 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
I'm with you...

For me its a flip of a coin. I wanna get rid of him because he's only good for puck control recently. He's been making bad decisions with the puck and not scoring, so he's basically useless; not to mention he doesnt hit. But on the other hand the last few days he's made some nice passes along with the tip-in goal last nite, so idk, tough choice. I woudlnt go as far to say he's the best player on the team right now though.
Jagr just needs to be a captain and realize this team isnt built around him anymore. As far as im concerned, the title of best player on this team is tied between Drury and Dubinsky imo. Now would be the perfect time for Jagr to get hot. I rag on him so much because he does alot of stupid things but i want to see him get on fire. But Renney also has to know that the team isnt built around Jagr anymore. Im afraid if Jagr gets hot, Renney is going to revert back to relying on Jagr for all the offense, which we have seen, doesnt work. But if he starts scoring goals again with Dubi as his center, ill be happy.

god im such a ranger fan....one minute i like jagr, the next i hate him

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Escudero

Send a message via AIM to Escudero
just wait till the end of the season comes along then you can analyze Jagr, and just remember we're talking about a guy who's 2nd in scoring on a team that has had problems scoring this year

Escudero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 11:55 AM
ruckus*

Ohh wow who would've thought the guy in charge of running the team actually has more common sense than 90% of the people here who think they could. There's no one to replace this guy with at this point. He's way more of a positive to this team than a detriment.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Jagr actually looks younger playing with Dubinsky. His stride and step are lively nowadays. He's getting to loose pucks.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:03 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

If he signs with a discount, fine, you know, whatever.

But I say remove his C and let him be a player here, not what the team runs through.

That won't happen though. He'll still get the C, and he'll still be expected to lead this team, therefore, I don't want him back.

Probably wouldn't take a discount (or a big one at that) at all anyway.

And this also means Straka and Rozsival will probably be here too.

Ugh..

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 12:03 PM
dank

dont see much wrong with it

dank is offline   Reply With Quote