HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather wants to keep Jagr for 08-09

Old
02-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Karan

vCash: 500
And finally Slats speaks up after being silent all season! Good article

Karan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Ohh wow who would've thought the guy in charge of running the team actually has more common sense than 90% of the people here who think they could. There's no one to replace this guy with at this point. He's way more of a positive to this team than a detriment.
These are probably the same 90% who said there's no way they brought in Gomez and Drury to have neither of them play with Jagr.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 02:12 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
If he signs with a discount, fine, you know, whatever.

But I say remove his C and let him be a player here, not what the team runs through.

That won't happen though. He'll still get the C, and he'll still be expected to lead this team, therefore, I don't want him back.

Probably wouldn't take a discount (or a big one at that) at all anyway.

And this also means Straka and Rozsival will probably be here too.

Ugh..
Exactly, what we're just going to ride him out till he's a liability? As he sucks up money and a first line spot? Until he's the next Holik or Nedved? No way. Jagr's best day's are over. If we resign him, this time next season this board will be lite up with Jagr sucks threads. I have no problem with him playing 2nd or 3rd line for less money, but it's not going to happen. We should be supporting the Drury/Gomez/Duby/Cally era now, making moves that only allow them to take the reigns of this team.There's no denying he's playing better now, but I don't see him being a force next year, and him being else is just going to drag out the next phase of this team.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 02:18 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

well think of think of it this way... he would be great for cherepanov

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

if this team were able to give a 38 yr old brendan shanahan a 5 million dollar contract, a 36 yr old jaromir jagr will surely be a ranger next year.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 02:52 PM
free0717

I think the Rangers will resign Jagr as long as Jagr doesnt expect to be paid 8 Million Dollars.

I hope he goes on a big run and gets his 84 points and the Rangers win a round. Id be happy to have him back at the 5 Million dollars the Rangers would have to pay, Even thought The Caps would pay him 3 Million dollars.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 02:57 PM
TheHotRock

He could get an incentive laden deal that doesn't kill our cap.

also, why wouldn't you want this guy back? he draws a consistent double team, opens up the ice for everyone else and can still produce.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
He could get an incentive laden deal that doesn't kill our cap.

also, why wouldn't you want this guy back? he draws a consistent double team, opens up the ice for everyone else and can still produce.
Hell, you could argue that his subpar season has forced the Rangers to learn how to win without him. See, he's the ultimate captain, sacrificing his personal stats for the good of the team

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Salz

We might as well keep him unless we can somehow replace the 70-80 points he is good for on the free agent market. Who knows, maybe he'll recapture his old glory next year. I still see him as a 70 point player at worst, and that is still 2nd line material. Give him a good european center and who knows what will happen.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Salz

Before we resign him, we have to look at our RW depth. If we don't sign him and just depend on our organization's RW's, we have:

Callahan, Prucha, Bourret, Cherapanov, Moore, Jessiman, Kveton. Am I missing anyone? Besides Cally, I don't think any of those guys are ready. Prucha may be dealt. Jessiman probably will never be ready. I'd love to see both Bourret and Cherapanov next year, but only one might be ready. There's a chance neither will see any time. And even if we're lucky and they both are ready, we still need a veteran top 6 guy... and that is Jagr.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 03:22 PM
TheHotRock

i still think we should try to get vrbata or huselius (maybe both) to play with gomez. that said, we can still easilly keep Jagr, and there's no reaosn not to. Keep him on a line with Dubinsky, they look nice together, and Jags can still play, no doubt.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Jagr Dubinsky and Avery look like a first line at times. Which is amazing since technically speaking Jagr was the only first liner out of the bunch. This lets us spread the wealth on the other 2 lines which makes us a much much MUCH harder team to play against.

Still though, I would move him if the right deal came along. At this point Dubinsky is running that line, and he can play with anyone.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 03:56 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
If he signs with a discount, fine, you know, whatever.

But I say remove his C and let him be a player here, not what the team runs through.

That won't happen though. He'll still get the C, and he'll still be expected to lead this team, therefore, I don't want him back.

Probably wouldn't take a discount (or a big one at that) at all anyway.

And this also means Straka and Rozsival will probably be here too.

Ugh..
Sounds good to me, as long as the price is right. Those two will be very expensive to replace. There will be enough openings for rookies.

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 04:08 PM
IanB

Not sure what to think about this really.

I'm not convinced Jagr is thinking he is no longer the star of the team anymore. When he gets hounded game in and game out by opposing defences the way he does, I think its clear he's still the most significant threat. Just because Jagr seems lively now while the team is winning, doesn't mean he can sustain it. He's shown flashes of it this year - it comes and goes. I think that right now, his getting so much attention is the main reason Dubinsky and Avery are so effective - look at Dubinsky's goal last night - but at the same time, it appeared as though the team was moving in a new direction. I feel like that plan is being put on hold if Jagr returns.

On the other side of the argument though, if he can take a supporting role on the team, and pass on that ability to Cherepanov, I can't think of anything better for his transition into the NHL. Cherepanov knows his talent, but he needs to understand while he's young how to exist on the team. It took years for Jagr, apparently, as dominating as he was. I worry, unfairly perhaps, that Cherepanov might take too much after his idol, and have a hard time grasping that concept.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
The Thomas J.*

In a way Jgr playing with Dubinsky is pefect for Jagr, he gets to mols a young inexperianced player into the center Jagr wants him to be, there are & will be some growing pains but Jagr & Dubinsky could be a solid top line next season.

As long as Jagr is a Ranger Straka will be a Ranger.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 04:22 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i still think we should try to get vrbata or huselius (maybe both) to play with gomez. that said, we can still easilly keep Jagr, and there's no reaosn not to. Keep him on a line with Dubinsky, they look nice together, and Jags can still play, no doubt.
wat would u willing to offer PHX....remember, they are rebuilding so they are looking for young talent and draft picks. However, Vrbata believes he has found a home in PHX and does not want to leave and Maloney isnt about to trade the Coyotes leading goal scorer.....its going to take alot...

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
He better be playing the second line or lower if he's back again, which of course won't happen.
Jaromir Jagr will never be able to play on the 2nd line.

Cos the team defend any line he's on with their best defensive players. In the eyes of the opposition, that's the #1 line.
And that's why whoever is on the "2nd" line (Gomez, Shanny atm) doesn't have to face the top checkers.

There's still a spark in Jagr IMO. If he raises his game come playoff time, the answer is simple - resign him.
If he doesn't - think about it.
But something tells me him and Drury etc will come alive come April.

He turned this franchise around. His little Czech project succeeded where Messier, Lindros etc all failed. Jagr, and later Lundqvist, are the biggest reason the door is opened to the Rangers to succeed both short-term and long-term.
Don't think for a minute guys like Prucha and Dubinsky would have developed this fast without him.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Forever Blue

Good to hear. Jagr's still a very productive player, it would be very difficult to find a player that will produce on his level and only receive a 1 year deal for $4-5M.

The other good thing about him being here is he still forces the opposition to match him with their top and most physical defensemen. Without him here, the young players would need to grow up really, really fast. Something a Stanley Cup contending team like the Rangers want to be, cannot afford.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 05:25 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
As long as jagr doesn't get paid the same amount of money I want him back. The young kids are not ready to take on the goal scoring and playmaking jagr brings. Look at buffalo as an example drury and briere left and the young kids struggled mightily early in the season, the sabres have been able to rebound in large part of tomas vanek. If the rangers struggle and jagrs not back there is nobody that is of the same talent level as vanek.

Rangers are in a similar situation at forward as they are at defense where rozsival and jagr are much needed next year or two. Yes the young kids have produced nicely but they can't be counted on to fill the either players shoes.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
These are probably the same 90% who said there's no way they brought in Gomez and Drury to have neither of them play with Jagr.
I don't know if the team's top centers not playing with the team's top winger is the best strategy. Yah, it's worked for the past week with Dubinsky, and he and Gomez had a nice run for about 2 weeks, but I personally want more out of the investments made at the center position than Jagr is getting out of them.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:04 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Pretty much, but the question could be whether he'll stay for $4-5 mill. Also, I think it's time to move away from him as the captain, but I'm not sure how he'd take that. I don't think he'd be too upset, but you never know.

Still, the focus of the team should be less about Jagr now, and bringing him back to be more of a "team" guy instead of the default "go to guy for all of the offense" would work well, I think, if the price is right.

I think it's definitely true that he draws away a lot of attention from other players and makes it easier for them to do their team, and if he's gone, things are going to get harder for the other scorers
Jagr has constantly stated he wants to stay with the Rangers, he wants to be back. Its either the rangers or retirement so I think he'll sign for around 4-5.5 million.

Also there's no reason to take captaincy from him. Drury is in that room and has an effect on his teammates whether he's wearing the "C" or not. Jagr has been a good captain IMO. A lot of rangers fans dont think so because hes not so vocal like Messier was who everyone was used to. But you gotta understand Messier was probably the best captain in hockey history, and one of the best in sports history if not the best. No one is gonna match up to Messier. Jagr has been great as captain, the only thing I'd like to see him do is take control of a game when they need someone to step up like he used to. Jagr is getting up there in age but yet this guy is still on the ice after practice is over with his young rookie teammate Dubinsky teaching him and helping him. He's been saying since the beginning of the season Dubinsky is gonna be good, thats being captain to me--him having confidence in this young kid that no one really knew how he was gonna do. And that confidence in Dubinsky has reflected in his play and his accomplishments such as being the mvp in the youngstars game

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:27 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Pretty much, but the question could be whether he'll stay for $4-5 mill. Also, I think it's time to move away from him as the captain, but I'm not sure how he'd take that. I don't think he'd be too upset, but you never know.

Still, the focus of the team should be less about Jagr now, and bringing him back to be more of a "team" guy instead of the default "go to guy for all of the offense" would work well, I think, if the price is right.

I think it's definitely true that he draws away a lot of attention from other players and makes it easier for them to do their team, and if he's gone, things are going to get harder for the other scorers
I think this about sums it up. If you can keep him cheap, you do it.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:40 PM
bumrusherer

As do I Glen, as do I!!

A reasonable 2 year deal and I'll be happy.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
well think of think of it this way... he would be great for cherepanov
Yes.

So long as Jagr signs at around 5M it will be awesome to have him back and play a mentor for Cherepanov during his first season (hopefully) in the NHL.

There's also no better alternative, surely not with the Rangers' available cap space. Especially with Jagr still wanting to play in NY.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
Yes.

So long as Jagr signs at around 5M it will be awesome to have him back and play a mentor for Cherepanov during his first season (hopefully) in the NHL.

There's also no better alternative, surely not with the Rangers' available cap space. Especially with Jagr still wanting to play in NY.
agrred, plus there arent too many good players available this offseason.....at least that could semi-replace him.....so wait one more year and let the cap go up some more

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote