HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you guys play a trap?

Old
02-24-2008, 10:21 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Seriously Plucky.... the HIP Check is a thing of beauty, and as sure a sign of the trap as they come. Hejda is probably our best hip-checker... he should give lessons. Good Defense is not boring hockey, it's Board Ballet.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Seriously Plucky.... the HIP Check is a thing of beauty, and as sure a sign of the trap as they come. Hejda is probably our best hip-checker... he should give lessons. Good Defense is not boring hockey, it's Board Ballet.
You said it JF ... I adore defense, always have. Hejda's hip check is old school "kaboomski."

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
What you're trying to say is that there is no enjoyment for you in the feat of line match ups, or the skill it takes to outflank and out position your opposition. The beauty and thunder of a defenseman's hip check of a twinkle-toed forward into the boards is displeasing to you. The poke check of the puck from Kovalev's stick by a lumbering Hedja doesn't make you giggle and snort. That there is no value in making one of the premier offenses in NHL look inept, slowfooted and slow-witted with every stymied attempt to put a puck past your goalie?

Is that what you're telling me, Handyy?
Yes, that's what I'm telling you. I know perfectly what it takes to out position your opponent, but that doesn't make the game any more entertaining. I'm not talking about poke checks or how the team lines up for the defence in the center ice. I am not a coach watching these games, but a fan who enjoyes the speed of hockey. One check doesn't make a game, if the rest of it is defence defence defence. You might enjoy it, but for me, defensive style can never compare to an offensive minded team.

Why else we had rule changes into this game, if not because the teams playing too defensive hockey and therefore lack of offensive plays and goals? I rather watch games which end 6-5 than 3-0 because the first one gets the crowd going, the players going and you'll always see more emotions and feeling both on and off ice.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Yes, that's what I'm telling you. I know perfectly what it takes to out position your opponent, but that doesn't make the game any more entertaining. I'm not talking about poke checks or how the team lines up for the defence in the center ice. I am not a coach watching these games, but a fan who enjoyes the speed of hockey. One check doesn't make a game, if the rest of it is defence defence defence. You might enjoy it, but for me, defensive style can never compare to an offensive minded team.

Why else we had rule changes into this game, if not because the teams playing too defensive hockey and therefore lack of offensive plays and goals? I rather watch games which end 6-5 than 3-0 because the first one gets the crowd going, the players going and you'll always see more emotions and feeling both on and off ice.
Every single thing I listed in that post had to do with loads of SPEED! The problem here is you're a wacky (but lovely) Euro who grew up with European hockey being taught as as proper doctrine. You were socialized in accepting and appreciating European offensive hockey as supreme doctrine. North Americans were socialized and indoctrinated to appreciate hockey in it's original and MOST PERFECT FORM - the form that was invented by the Canadians.

Why we had rule changings? Yes, they wanted more scoring because all the Clutching and Grabbing and Hooking with sticks was littering the league with junk hockey. Most of those rules you're talking about Handyy were already IN the rule books they just weren't being ENFORCED - and now they are. The improved quality of play on the ice now is testament to this. Other rules were changed to actually SPEED up the game ... like removing the redline ... making it illegal for the goalie to dump the puck over the glass and get a stoppage in the game for his prissy little forwards to rest.

Face it, Handyy ... you're a hockey snob. You are the Yin to Don Cherry's Yang.

Old
02-25-2008, 08:09 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

Hey Hannu!

When we were picking our season tickets, we chose the defensive X 2 end of the rink so we could watch Footer, Rusty and now Russ do their dirty work. And we like to watch the goaltenders up close. Defense can be fun. (Though I do have my limits: I detest low scoring soccer.)

Maybe Plucky is right about the "Euro style" of hockey which emphasizes skating and passing because of the big ice. And maybe North Americans like contact sports more than Euros. Afterall, we are the land which brought you NFL and Canadian League Football, Jody Shelley (your favorite player) and the Iraq War.

Old
02-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Renion

....I'm with Handyy.

(Short and sweet, like me--except for the short and sweet part.)

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:38 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
....I'm with Handyy.

(Short and sweet, like me--except for the short and sweet part.)
Then you can't like soccer or girls basketball, or the Chicago Bears. (Not going to let you have it both ways.)

Old
02-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Then you can't like soccer or girls basketball, or the Chicago Bears. (Not going to let you have it both ways.)
Can I like girls as long as they're offensive and not overly defensive? A wide-open game? A high-scoring affair? Can't stand the shutouts, especially when the net's wide open.

Anyway.

Though I actually don't agree with everything. A low-scoring game isn't necessarily a boringly defensive one.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Can I like girls as long as they're offensive and not overly defensive? A wide-open game? A high-scoring affair? Can't stand the shutouts, especially when the net's wide open.
Brilliant.... and I ain't touching it.

Quote:
Anyway.

Though I actually don't agree with everything. A low-scoring game isn't necessarily a boringly defensive one.
Let's split the difference: High Scoring shut-outs. "Ren-Handyy-Fan Hockey"

Old
02-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Every single thing I listed in that post had to do with loads of SPEED! The problem here is you're a wacky (but lovely) Euro who grew up with European hockey being taught as as proper doctrine. You were socialized in accepting and appreciating European offensive hockey as supreme doctrine. North Americans were socialized and indoctrinated to appreciate hockey in it's original and MOST PERFECT FORM - the form that was invented by the Canadians.
Actually defensive style kicked in to NHL in the 90's, so there goes your original and most perfect form statement Gretzky did his 200+ points seasons with the awesome defensive style by the Oilers? I just love watching the games from 70's and 80's and needless to say, it has very little to do with how Jackets play right now.

And I don't have any problem. If you like defensive style hockey, I have no need to say that you're a snob or anything else. It's fine by me, whatever you want to watch. But I don't like it and I don't appreciate the name calling. I just said how I feel about the style of Jackets and I surely don't need you to tell what's right and what's wrong.

As JACKETfan also said, he picked out the defensive zone. That's also just fine by me as he enjoys it. Right choice.

Chill out

Old
02-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Yeah you're right on that one, it isn't all black and white. Especially in the playoffs low scoring games are still excellent to watch, because they are so intense.

Old
02-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Actually defensive style kicked in to NHL in the 90's, so there goes your original and most perfect form statement Gretzky did his 200+ points seasons with the awesome defensive style by the Oilers? I just love watching the games from 70's and 80's and needless to say, it has very little to do with how Jackets play right now.

And I don't have any problem. If you like defensive style hockey, I have no need to say that you're a snob or anything else. It's fine by me, whatever you want to watch. But I don't like it and I don't appreciate the name calling. I just said how I feel about the style of Jackets and I surely don't need you to tell what's right and what's wrong.

As JACKETfan also said, he picked out the defensive zone. That's also just fine by me as he enjoys it. Right choice.

Chill out
Ha. if you think "snob" is namecalling ... uhh well, tough luck I guess. Apparently good-natured teasing and ribbing doesn't translate well over the internet. Or maybe Finlandia types are just lacking in the sense of humor department. Whatever. I apologize if you were offended, Handyy ... it wasn't intentional on my part and I doubt you could get anyone else around here to tell you it was.

Old
02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
yes, all teams trap to some degree, we just do it better....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote