Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How's Mike Keenan?

Old
02-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Salz

vCash: 500
How's Mike Keenan?

Rangers fan here. Do you guys like Keenan? I sure did, haha. It must be a breath of fresh air seeing his more offensive suited style than what you've had in years past. If I'm not mistaken, the Flames were a trap team for awhile. Since we never play you guys thanks to Bettman, I'm not really sure.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 03:51 PM
ryz

Keenan is doing fine. I like him anyway.

As per the "breath of frsh air" comment, I'm not so sure about that. The Flames seemed to be "better" and more entertaining and played with a far greater edge in the previous couple of years. Personally I'd still rather watch a hard hitting 2-1 goalie stand-off than a 5-3 ho-hum bad defence game.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

The "breath of fresh air" comes from a change in personnel on the roster moreso than the coaching changes. Sutter to Playfair to Keenan, when Sutter was coaching the team just didn't have the same offensive potential as when Playfair (Tanguay + Huselius) took over and this team exploded offensively then. At least with Keenan our defense has made a slight improvement, even if at a slight expense at offense.

Personally, I would rather have the strong defense with marginal but adequate offense than the other way around. Which is what we have right now.

Keenan's been okay, slightly better than Playfair so far but I'd hardly rate him as a great acquisition by this team. He's trying to shed his past mistakes and is reinventing his coaching style, which hasn't helped the Flames this season but it's made up for by the knowledge he's gained through multiple years, coaching many different organizations with unique situations and problems.

Not that I'm saying that the Flames would be better served with classic Keenan.

edit: This year's Flames are actually worse offensively and defensively compared to last season's. 11th and 19th vs 7th and 11th. oops. Guess consistency goes a long way.

Last edited by ArizonaGreenTea: 02-24-2008 at 07:17 PM.
ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 09:24 PM
CBanana

When comparing Keenan versus Playfair, you're essentially comparing the 06-07 squad versus the 07-08 squad. I'll list the pros and cons of what has changed since last year

Pro:
Team is much more physical
Away record is significantly better
Offense can be pretty explosive when it gets going
Penalty kill is slightly better
Shootout record significantly better

Cons:
Kiprusoff is played significantly more
Goaltending is significantly worse
Offense is prone to slumps
Powerplay is worse
Home record is significantly worse

The biggest personnel moves in the off season were losing Stuart and Hamrlik, while bringing in Eriksson, Aucoin, and Nolan.

CBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Flames2007

Quote:
The biggest personnel moves in the off season were losing Stuart and Hamrlik, while bringing in Eriksson, Aucoin, and Nolan.
Glad Syuart is gone but i do miss Hamerlik but Aucoin has made up for him ina big way so far this season......Eriksson and Hale IMHO suck...but to each thier own i guess..bring in one more d man to replace those 2 and i'll be happy As for Nolan? The guy has been great here...fights and scores(not much) but can chip in a goal or 2 like Gelinas did...ya never know...better than Amonte or Freisen for sure!

Flames2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I didn't like the coaching change when it happened and am still not 100% convinced, but Keenanhas surprised me. I thought we'd be better defensively than we are but all around we're playing a better, more inconsistent game. I don't think that makes sense but this team has been so up and down it's hard to tell.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Normand Lacombe

Not surprising that Keenan has played Kiprosoff so much. That may be significant reason why Kiprosoff has been inconsistent this season. A hallmark of a Keenan coached team is that he essentially plays one goaltender. While it worked in Philly with Lindbergh & Hextall and in NY with Richter, this method has not been sucessful since his Cup win in 1994. In St.L, he played an aged Grant Fuhr over 70 games in 1996. By the time the playoffs came, Fuhr was worn out and subsequently injured in the 1st round. I think Kipp needs a few games off to get back on track.

Normand Lacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand Lacombe View Post
I think Kipp needs a few games off to get back on track.
You haven't seen Kipper's play lately, have you?

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I still think resting Kipper is a solid idea, despite his great play as of late. Marty Broduer is the best of all time and look how weak he looked in the playoffs last year after playing 79 games.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote