HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL.com on Voracek

Old
02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 900
NHL.com on Voracek

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Quote:
HALIFAX

The Halifax Mooseheads forward hasn't seen the barber since returning from the world junior hockey championship in January and the Czech's curly blondish hair is fast approaching the 1990s look of Jaromir Jagr, whose trademark curls flowed out the back of his helmet.

"I have to dye it black first," Voracek said of one day matching the former style of his countryman.

"(But) if I go two straight games without a point, I'll cut it," he added.

Quote:
"I've seen him do some amazing things," said Mooseheads coach Cam Russell, a former NHL defenceman with the Chicago Blackhawks and Colorado Avalanche. "It's my opinion that he's the top player in the league. He's the kind of guy that makes it enjoyable to come to the rink every day."

Quote:
Voracek is not without some faults. Although unbelievably skilled, he sometimes falls victim to trying to make the fancy play. And like most players his age, a better understanding of the defensive game is necessary.

Quote:
"I have to improve everything," Voracek said. "I think you can improve every year, every game, and every practice. You have to be bigger, stronger. "

"I can improve everything."

Last edited by Cyborg Yzerman: 02-29-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Cyborg Yzerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Bobs Tuna Melt

vCash: 500
drool.

The numbers that he is putting up is simply amazing. He almost has 100 points in what, 46 games? That is crazy. It sounds like he can play the 2 way game that Hitchcock likes...he just needs to get a little bigger in the off season. If he does, he will definitely be considered Calder Trophy material.

Last edited by Bobs Tuna Melt: 02-28-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Bobs Tuna Melt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:33 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrulez View Post
drool.

The numbers that he is putting up is simply amazing. He almost has 100 points in what, 46 games? That is crazy. It sounds like he can play the 2 way game that Hitchcock likes...he just needs to get a little bigger in the off season. If he does, he will definitely be considered Calder Trophy material.
This kid better cure cancer, wait...I forgot we traded the Captain Cancer.....

He better cure something...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Lainey

I can't wait for him to make the big club, but I don't want him rushed like Brule.

Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 09:29 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Afraid we're going to be in the same predicament as we were with Brule a couple seasons ago. The kid will have proven everything possible at the junior level, no AHL option and must make the big club and earn top 2 line minutes to develop. Might be a tough decision for H&H in October.

Would love to know what Macster thinks on whether he'll be NHL ready next year.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
My hope is that Voracek will be immediately productive when he makes it to the NHL. I want to see one of our draft choices not be rushed. I would hate to see Voracek make the team out of necessity and unless Howson makes some serious moves to improve the team this offseason that may be the case. He has future star written all over him but I'd be happy to let Mac enjoy him in Halifax for one more year if he comes to the Jackets in 2009 producing like Patrick Kane and not Gilbert Brule.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Hugg

Quote:
"I have to improve everything," Voracek said. "I think you can improve every year, every game, and every practice. You have to be bigger, stronger. "

"I can improve everything."
Love seeing quotes like that from the kids.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:20 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Is the point machine we've been waiting for?

I don't think I'd mind giving him another year in Halifax and have him concentrate on some defensive aspects... that would be fine with me.

Old
02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

We'll be very young next season, but JV makes the team hands down imo. They struggled with the decision to cut him this year and he's improved on all marks if Cam Russel is to be believed.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:23 AM
5StringBuzz

The guy sounds great, and if his drive, dedication, and skill are as strong as they sound, I'm sure he'll earn his place on the CBJ next season. It's hard to see how he can grow more with another year in juniors.

I hope he never has reason to get a haircut. Here's hoping JV's hair is below his knees before he's done.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post
The guy sounds great, and if his drive, dedication, and skill are as strong as they sound, I'm sure he'll earn his place on the CBJ next season. It's hard to see how he can grow more with another year in juniors.

I hope he never has reason to get a haircut. Here's hoping JV's hair is below his knees before he's done.
Cousin It on Skates?

Old
02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Cousin It on Skates?
Either that or a turban-sized helmet.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Oh man... Long hair rules anyway, but seeing NHLers fly down the ice with their awesome locks blowing in the breeze... that takes me back to the good ole days of the early 90s

Wanted to find a picture of Amonte circa 92, but came up empty.

Ah well

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Afraid we're going to be in the same predicament as we were with Brule a couple seasons ago. The kid will have proven everything possible at the junior level, no AHL option and must make the big club and earn top 2 line minutes to develop. Might be a tough decision for H&H in October.

He'll be up... Bet on it

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
FiveHole23

Sounds overly confident something that is no where on this team, cant wait.

Mell is going to kill you for posting a whole article, fyi.

Last edited by FiveHole23: 02-29-2008 at 02:06 PM.
FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

Macster was saying he'll be Vybes replacement next season last time the topic came up. I was skeptical, not so much anymore, though I see a Vyborny resurgence on the horizon.

Old
02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Voracek is getting the 9 game tryout no matter what, IMO. I don't think Howson will be afraid of sending him back down and calling it an end early if need be.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 03:54 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

I'm certain he'll get the 9 game tryout as well. And I'm psyched to see him at Nationwide next year too. And I really hope he's NHL ready.

I'm just pointing out that 2 years ago we were all as equally certain that Gilbert was ready and had done all there was to do in the jrs. (It would be interesting to go back and read the '06 Brule/Memorial Cup threads). It didn't work out and we've spent 1-1/2 yrs pounding ex-GMDM for mismanaging Brule.

Once bitten, twice shy. That's all I'm saying.

Old
02-29-2008, 03:58 PM
FiveHole23

It will be different for Voracek. Not because of the difference in GMs but because of the difference in coaches.

I dont believe XGMDM ruined Brule I think it was the combination of poor coaching and XGMDM not moving Brule back to the crunch when he was living on the fourth line.

Brule has made huge strides this year and although its not showing up on the score sheet yet it will. Hitch has to do undo everything GG did, with Voracek Hitch has a clean slate. Also Voracek has already shown the ability to adapt to new cultures/new styles of plays I really dont think its going to be a hard transition for him from what I have seen/read.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 04:03 PM
osucbj03

Send a message via AIM to osucbj03
The difference between Brule and Voracek, I think, will be who he is playing with. Brule was paired with Shelley most of the time and didn't get to see PP time despite our PP never being that effective. I'm sorry, but you can't develop an NHL game like Brule/Voracek/Brassard by playing with Shelley. Voracek is going to need to play on the 2nd or 3rd line, or a 4th line that he can pass with (not Boll, Murray, Novotny, imo).

Z-Brass-Voracek.

osucbj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuuuuvie View Post
The difference between Brule and Voracek, I think, will be who he is playing with. Brule was paired with Shelley most of the time and didn't get to see PP time despite our PP never being that effective. I'm sorry, but you can't develop an NHL game like Brule/Voracek/Brassard by playing with Shelley. Voracek is going to need to play on the 2nd or 3rd line, or a 4th line that he can pass with (not Boll, Murray, Novotny, imo).

Z-Brass-Voracek.
That would be a very interesting(and creative line). I would say for Nik's sake, at this point he's light years ahead of where Brassard and Voracek are at the NHL level(obviously). The skill is there, but I don't know if they can keep up with him right out of the gate. Keep in mind Nik is used to playing against a teams best defenders but still oozes skill.

I like the past pre-season's 3rd line:

Chimera-Brassard-Voracek

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 04:34 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post

I dont believe XGMDM ruined Brule I think it was the combination of poor coaching and XGMDM not moving Brule back to the crunch when he was living on the fourth line.
Sending Brule to the Crunch was never an option last year. Once the 11th game began he had to stay with the big club for the remainder of the season, by rule.

I also question the coaching difference (not saying Hitch is not >>>> Gallant). Just that Hitch had Brule for what 55-60 games last year and he still played minimal 4th line mins. He just was NOT ready for more than that. It was clearly evident to all. And it's taken until now for him to start to belong.

All the result of a bad decision by management that GB was ready. The point here is that there was unanimous consensus w/in the organization & on these boards that Brule should stay and would contribute. It didn't work out.

This just shows how hard it is to look at an 18 year old playing with men and decide if he's ready. And the Jackets were burned last year.

I want Voracek to thrive here next year, but this is by no means going to be an easy or risk-free decision.

Old
02-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Zigzag72

I would like to see Voracek develop but I can remember reading statements from his coaches on how when he played, it seemed to elevate the whole team..... Could this not solve the Jackets consistency problems ???

Is it not possible to get him to train with certain Jackets over the summer months to help him develop more quickly ???

Zigzag72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Byrral

I'd rather see Brassard and/or Voracek with Nash at some point. Nash is a pure goal scorer that needs someone like Brassard or Voracek to get him the puck. Zherdev is more of a creator who can also score. He disappears at times when he isn't controlling the play so I want the puck on his stick.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
That would be a very interesting(and creative line). I would say for Nik's sake, at this point he's light years ahead of where Brassard and Voracek are at the NHL level(obviously). The skill is there, but I don't know if they can keep up with him right out of the gate. Keep in mind Nik is used to playing against a teams best defenders but still oozes skill.

I like the past pre-season's 3rd line:

Chimera-Brassard-Voracek

Zherdev is still an enigma I think. At times he and Chimera seem to be on the same page, but more often its Z doing his thing and the rest of the guys scratching their heads, or going to the net to hopefully create an oppurtunity for him, or hanging back in case Z loses the puck. I think the youngsters would be better off with Nash and a couple more seasoned, 2-way guys, paired with Zherdev.

I think Chimera and Peca do well with Zerdev, as do Novotny and Vyborny.