HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Talent vs. Coaching

Old
02-27-2008, 03:57 PM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Talent vs. Coaching

Okay so here's my stab at starting a thread.

Trotz has been bashed for many years on two fronts that I would like to discuss.

1. Not being able to develop offensive talent.

I have always thought this to be crap. Either the player has the talent, skill, and nose for the net or he doesn't.

Evidence: Scott Walker I always thought was a good example of someone that he was able to turn into a decent offensive player. Radulov has come of age and is playing decent two way hockey but really putting up points and helping the RAD line carry this team.

2. Being an ADHD coach when it came to his lines.

While I somewhat agree with this I have a hard time faulting him to much. I find it funny in some posts people will give Trotz grief for being too impatient with certain combos then turn around and give him grief for leaving others together too long.

Evidence: Legwand and Erat, these two have been together for 2/3 years now with different wingers and have had different levels of success but he has stuck with these two. Now again to the RAD line. We saw some of the "line shuffling" at the begining of the season trying to find the right spot for Radu but once he put this line back together at Christmas and they clicked he hasn't touched it.

To wrap this all up. Is this really a coaching problem or a talent problem?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I could write a thesis on my thoughts on this because it has always bothered me too, but I'll try to stay brief.

As for the first question, "Does he struggle to develop offensive talent?" I say no. It is more of a talent issue to begin with. Offensive talent is a G-d given gift. It is refined throughout time, however if there is none there to begin with, then you are not going to be able to create a goal-scoring prodigy out of hands of stone. I think the issue that brings many people to believe this is the case is how players fit within our system. Radulov for example was admittedly not refined enough in his overall game to contribute consistently on a line with Arnott and Dumont earlier in the season and was subsequently moved down the lineup where he refined his two-way game and eventually worked his way back to the top line and has become a major contributor on offense, while not giving up too many chances at the other end of the rink.

As for the second question, "Being an ADHD coach when it comes to lines." I think that is the nature of the beast. As you mentioned frequently we are searching for the missing piece to a lineup and you saw last season that we had the talent to plug in a Kariya, Sullivan, or Hartnell at times and make things work. This season we have not been blessed with that level of talent and therefore our lineup has changed more frequently trying to search for the missing piece to the puzzle that has left us with only 1 scoring line on so many nights. This is an issue that must be addressed if we want to get to the playoffs and I'm throughly happy with the performance of the team thus far and I have to credit that in large part to the coaching staff and team leadership (ie: captains). Anyone who really hates line shuffling shouldn't watch our game tonight as Hlavac is going to start on the 4th line and work his way up and down the lineup from there trying to find a good fit.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:51 PM
nine_inch_fang

Yeah, I can hear Pete and Terry talking at leeeeeeength about how many pencils and sheets of paper they'll need to keep up with the lines.

Wouldn't it be nice(wishful thinking) to see him pull a Dumont and score on his first shift with the team?

That was Dumont last year against the Hawks, right?

Old
02-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Yeah, I can hear Pete and Terry talking at leeeeeeength about how many pencils and sheets of paper they'll need to keep up with the lines.

Wouldn't it be nice(wishful thinking) to see him pull a Dumont and score on his first shift with the team?

That was Dumont last year against the Hawks, right?
Yeah, it was, but hopefully we actually win the game. If you recall we got crushed. I want two points tonight!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
nine_inch_fang

I blocked out the rest of that ass kicking.