HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

gauthier to Habs rumour (merged threads)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 05:50 AM
Michalek

vCash: 500
gauthier to Habs rumour

According to G.Pollock from Flames post game show there is a buzz around the Saddledome that Gauthier got traded to Habs tonight .
In addition A.Savard was in the buiding tonight
No work who we would get back.

Old
01-31-2004, 05:51 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
*big scary music* dun dun dun!!

Old
01-31-2004, 05:58 AM
Jacob

Please keep Gauthier in the west.

Old
01-31-2004, 05:58 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I heard it's Perrault 1 for 1, that would be so sexy for the habs, but since cal is a canadian team, I don't want them to get hurt by a trade like this.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:18 AM
kolanos

Ribiero, Ryder, Bulis, Zednik -- those are the usual suspects, and the only guys that the Flames could really afford.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:39 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
As long as Perrault isn't coming the other way then get Gauthier out of here. I'd like to see Bulis or Sundstrom in a flames uni.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:40 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
Ribiero, Ryder, Bulis, Zednik -- those are the usual suspects, and the only guys that the Flames could really afford.
It'd be tough for Montreal's offense to swallow any of those players being dealt but, I'd have to say Zednik would be the most likely of that group to be moved.

Ribeiro's improved his game by leaps and bounds this year and is the team's leading scorer, anchoring the second line. Ryder's been too strong to move. Bulis is the offense's go-to-guy next to Koivu; used in any and every situation, and by far the team's best penalty killer. Too versatile and hard working for the team to move.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:41 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
I heard it's Perrault 1 for 1, that would be so sexy for the habs, but since cal is a canadian team, I don't want them to get hurt by a trade like this.
I fail to see what that does for the Flames. Perrault is hardly an upgrade over anyone on their top two lines and his salary doesn't help out the situation any. Perrault might be some sort of add on to the deal, but I can't see Sutter being that retarded to trade gauthier for Perrault even up.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:49 AM
not quite yoda

Here we go again. What is it with all these Gauthier to the Habs conversations. Didn't he play a big 12 minutes tonight? I don't see how he would help, I don't see how he is an upgrade on any of the team's current Dmen. And Komisarek is slated as #7 right now and I don`t see him getting sent down. Komisarek`s a +4, Bouillon is a -2. I don`t think that Gauthier instead of Bouillon is an upgrade. Size wise? Yes, but that`s all. Habs need to get bigger up front, not in the back.

Anyways, Perreault is a great insurance policy in case Ribeiro or (often injured) Koivu go down.

And if Gauthier "has already been dealt", how come it isn`t posted anywhere legit? It`s almost 3 am in Montreal! I don`t think Gainey would be pulling the trigger this late...

Last edited by not quite yoda: 01-31-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old
01-31-2004, 07:01 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
According to G.Pollock from Flames post game show there is a buzz around the Saddledome that Gauthier got traded to Habs tonight .
Yeah I just checked all the "usual suspects" internet sites and I can`t find anything anywhere. Did anyone else hear this "post game show"?

Old
01-31-2004, 07:19 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Bulis is a nice hard worker but his efficiency decrease when playing with more offensively minded players, that's why I would'nt be surprised if he get traded! Zednik is just alot more valuable to us right now since we actually are lacking goal scorers and having guys like Begin Ward to kill penality!
You may be right. We might see shortly. I don't see management dealing Bulis because he is cheap, good size, uses his size along the boards and defensively, and is the team's best penalty killer without a doubt.

Add in the fact that he's clearly among Julien's favourite players given the ice time and respect he receives from the coach, and it seems implausible that he'd be dealt.

Consider the types of players Gainey likes: well-rounded, good sized players that are disciplined and show up every night. Strong along the boards and versatile. This description fits Bulis perfectly.

That's not to say Bulis is more valuable to Montreal than Zednik, mind you.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:26 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Bulis is'nt effective on the first line since his offensive sense is very limited, Balej would be more useful to this line right now IMO!

Where Bulis is effective is on a checking line when centered by a smart defensive center... But we also have Ward that is bigger and very effective to kill penality!

Bulis is a nice hard worker but his efficiency decrease when playing with more offensively minded players, that's why I would'nt be surprised if he get traded! Zednik is just alot more valuable to us right now since we actually are lacking goal scorers and having guys like Begin Ward to kill penality!
I don`t know where you guys are pulling Bulis and Zednick out of to include them in trade rumours with Calgary. In any event, there is no way any of these two forwards are being traded for Gauthier - a middle aged 5-6th defenceman.

I don`t know when Gainey will ever make a trade, but when he does it will be for offence. Koivu`s line needs size and more scoring flair. The checking line could use some touching up too. I don`t see how trading Bulis or Zednick will add offence.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:27 AM
kruezer

I'd do Zednik for Gauthier, definetaly, just say no to perreault.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:30 AM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
In any event, there is no way any of these two forwards are being traded for Gauthier - a middle aged 5-6th defenceman.
Middle aged? He's 27.

5th-6th defenceman? Try top-4. Easy.

I think Bulis and a pick for Gauthier would be an okay trade. Zednik for Gauthier and a pick would be ideal though.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
5th-6th defenceman? Try top-4. Easy.
Well, he'd be top-4 in Montreal, but calling Gauthier him a top-4 defenceman in general misses the mark, IMO.

Regardless, I doubt you'll see Gauthier traded for a player that makes more than him. I'm going to say 2nd round pick. Maybe a third.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:01 AM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Regardless, I doubt you'll see Gauthier traded for a player that makes more than him. I'm going to say 2nd round pick. Maybe a third.
You've got to be kidding. I am not the biggest Gauthier supporter, but he can get much more than a pick -- and there's no way he'll be moved for anything less than a player that can step in to the lineup.

You still upset over that hit on Salo?

Old
01-31-2004, 08:32 AM
evman150*

Quote:
Well, he'd be top-4 in Montreal, but calling Gauthier him a top-4 defenceman in general misses the mark, IMO.
And in my opinion, you are wrong. Gauthier is a top-4 guy on most teams in the nhl. Just because he's number five in Calgary does not mean he is number five everywhere. You just don't like him because he took out Salo.

And according to you, Toni Lydman is a borderline nhler, so what you say about Flames' defenceman means jack squat.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:47 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Probably not. I believe he's a left side d-man and the Habs have Souray and Markov on the left side along with Bouillon. No way would he be on the top two pairs ahead of Souray and Markov. Souray does everything Gauthier does better, plus a more offensive touch. Markov has offensive skill and mobility over Gauthier and you need a guy like that on your top two pairs. The Habs tend to avoid playing d-men on their offside if they can help it and have decent depth on the right side in Rivet, Breezy, Quintal and Komisarek, so moving a guy like Gauthier to the right side would be unnecessary.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:59 PM
onice

vCash: 50
It's funny how quickly most hab fans are quick to dismiss Zednik. When it comes to playoffs or important games, he's at his best. For me, and I'm not the g.m., Zednik is an untouchable. All you have to do is remember what he did in the playoffs two years ago and his play against the Flyers 4 games ago.

The one knock I have against Zednik is he gets bored playing against weak teams or "unimportant" games and doesn't put out in those situations. He's a totally different player when he's challenged. So if we make the playoffs, Zednik is the first player on that roster that I would go to war with - even ahead of Koivu.

In a roundabout way I'm saying I would NEVER trade Zednik for Gauthier. He's what they use to call a money player.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice
It's funny how quickly most hab fans are quick to dismiss Zednik. When it comes to playoffs or important games, he's at his best. For me, and I'm not the g.m., Zednik is an untouchable. All you have to do is remember what he did in the playoffs two years ago and his play against the Flyers 4 games ago.

The one knock I have against Zednik is he gets bored playing against weak teams or "unimportant" games and doesn't put out in those situations. He's a totally different player when he's challenged. So if we make the playoffs, Zednik is the first player on that roster that I would go to war with - even ahead of Koivu.

In a roundabout way I'm saying I would NEVER trade Zednik for Gauthier. He's what they use to call a money player.
I agree. If Flames fans think they can get a 30 goal scorer/clutch playoff performer for Gauthier straigth up, they're dreaming. Gauthier is utterly overrated on these boards. He's good defensively (although prone to the occasional brain cramp from what I saw) and a none factor offensively and in the transition game. He's not a complete Dman. His only elite asset is being able to make some devastating open ice hits (and oh did I love the one against Jagr not so long ago). But to me, Gauthier is ideally a 3rd pairing guy, playing 15-18 minutes a game, which is exactly what he would be in Montreal as he's certainly a lesser Dman than Souray and Markov, 2 Dmen playing on the left side. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Gauthier take Bouillon's spot, but never, ever will Gainey see Gauthier as a critical enough need to move Montreal's best scorer for him.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:

I totally agree...there is no way I would ever trade Zednik. He is our best pure goal scorer and he is playing his best hockey of the season right now. He is sure to hit 30 again if he keeps it up and he has a good shot to surpass his career high set last season of 31.

As for the trade...sure Gauthier would be nice, I guess. But do we really need another defenseman? If Gauthier comes in then someone is gonna have to go out. And Gauthier for Perrault? IMO that would be a steal for the Habs, Perrault is a washed up loser and its no secret to GM's around the league. I would trade a 3rd round pick for him and that's it.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:10 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
I totally agree...there is no way I would ever trade Zednik. He is our best pure goal scorer and he is playing his best hockey of the season right now. He is sure to hit 30 again if he keeps it up and he has a good shot to surpass his career high set last season of 31.

As for the trade...sure Gauthier would be nice, I guess. But do we really need another defenseman? If Gauthier comes in then someone is gonna have to go out. And Gauthier for Perrault? IMO that would be a steal for the Habs, Perrault is a washed up loser and its no secret to GM's around the league. I would trade a 3rd round pick for him and that's it.

A 3rd rounder for Gauthier? LOL.
I remember this same "value" posted in the rumors forum by a Hab fan and the whole forum chewed him up. Not gonna happen my friend.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:11 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
There's no way the Habs would deal Zednik for Gauthier. They deal their only legit-30 goal scorer and their only legit top line winger for a number five defenceman?

I like Gauthier's game, but I think the return, if he was to ever come to Montreal would be more of a Jason Ward/Niklas Sundstrom type player, certainly not a guy who's a threat to score every night such as Zednik. People look at Zednik and see that he has 19 goals. Okay, that's a fair number to be at but they don't realize that 17 of those goals have been in the past 39 games.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
To quote a poster from the Habs board named Medicine Twin:

''Gauthier has been coming to Montreal for the last three years. What makes you think a deal is gonna happen today? ''

If the Flames could get Zednik for Gauthier, they would be crazy not to do it IMO.

And please, there's no way in hell we get Gauthier for Perreault 1 for 1 Crazy nine. That's just a bad rumor started by Garrioch.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:24 PM
RyanWhite53

Send a message via MSN to RyanWhite53
Quote:

great post! exactly what I was thinking, except for the Koivu part

Closed Thread