HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sundin Staying Put

Old
02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
solo16

vCash: 728
Good for Mats....

As I have been predicting Fletcher is a failure. But another embaressment for a once great organization.

We will never know what went on behind these closed doors but Fletcher obviously didnt make Mats feel like a part of this teams future.

Im expecting Sundin to move in the off season.
If Sundin and fletcher worked out a deal to come back next year and only be traded to make this franchise better he would be gone. I feel real bad for the Toronto fans. Hopefully they will get a decent GM over the summer and the tides will slowly begin to turn. .

Hopefully the new GM welcomes Sundin back with open arms while building for there future. That would be the classy move.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Are the Leafs not selfish for never giving Mats real first liners to play with and a legit chance to win a cup?
Well, they spent megabucks on perennial 40-goal man Jason Blake to play on his wing.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's already bad enough he royally screwed the team out of assets.
He didn't screw the team out of anything.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:09 PM
BwayBshirt

sundin's always seemed to be a sincere guy and i have no reason to doubt him here.

good for him and he really shouldn't get any crap for it once tuesday passes imo.

hell, if (big IF) fletcher can get the others to waive theirs then he can still make out nicely at this deadline for the organization. then i'd see it as a win-win.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Sad Panda

The only good thing that'll come from no Leafs waiving their NTC's, is watching the "trainwreck of awesome" that'll be Fergy on the TSN deadline show. Duthie will rip into him good I can imagine.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Even though he didnt want to.. I think he should have waived it... for the Leafs and for their fans...

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
solo16

I gotta say though Mats screams class. I just sat down and read his press release.
I gotta say he really put his morals and his heart first and thats a good thing. This decision was good for hockey.

October to June is what winning a cup is about. Temmu and Scotty should take a lesson from Mats and learn how to play hockey with class.

Old
JetsFanInVic2011
Formerly devils1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Bob View Post
To all the people who think Mats is selfish. Don't you think the Leafs owe Mats some loyalty? Don't you think a player like Sundin shouldn't need a NTC to block such a deal?

Mats deserves the right to stay and the Leafs organization should have asked Mats if he would like to leave. Once he said no, that should have been the end of it.
As I mentioned....he waives his NTC...the Leafs get prospets or draft picks..and he still can sign back with the Leafs come July 1. This is a win-win for the Leafs then.

D@mn...why do I care...I hate the Leafs...good on them, this puts the Leafs back about 3 years.

JetsFanInVic2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
hell, if (big IF) fletcher can get the others to waive theirs then he can still make out nicely at this deadline for the organization. then i'd see it as a win-win.
I think he's starting to wonder why he even bothered. He's been put in an impossible situation. The guys people want won't leave, and the guys who would leave no one wants. The setting of the table for the new GM looks like it could end with re-signing Alex Steen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:12 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
He didn't screw the team out of anything.
Most likey a 1st, a top prospect, and an NHL ready player.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:13 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

It really bugs me when people say "SUNDIN SCREWS LEAFS"... or "SUNDIN IS SELFISH"

How has he ever done anything to screw them? He put with bad managment, horrible imposters to play on the first line with him,
.. he's done everything for the Maple Leafs. Absolutely everything.

So he doesn't want to leave? If anyone screwed anyone, the team screwed themselves with a NO TRADE CLAUSE.. its their own fault.
Sundin wants to stay.. thats why he got a No-Trade put in.

He's loyal to his community, to his fans, to his team. Isn't that good anymore?

It's an absolutely disgusting act by "so called" fans who are putting Sundin down for not wanting to leave his home, his life,
and most importantly.. his friends and family.

I applaud Sundin for sticking up for himself and his team. He's got a lot of balls and I respect him more than I ever have before.

And I'm not a Leaf nor Sundin fan. But the fact tha the sticks up for himself makes me like him a little more. Good for him.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
Most likey a 1st, a top prospect, and an NHL ready player.
More than that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jerky Leclerc

Looks like Sundin has golfing plans he can't cancel. If I had a choice between work or vacation, I'll take the easy answer.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Faltorvo

Don't hold your breath on Mats not getting villafied here by the fans and press. My best guess is, this will turn out to be the longest 20 games of his career. My gut tells me he will retire after this year is done.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
Even though he didnt want to.. I think he should have waived it... for the Leafs and for their fans...
under the same circumstance if it was Steve Yzerman would you have expected him to leave town ?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
if he's not signed to an extension before the end of the season theres ganna be a lot of flak thrown his way for being selfish. if he's really committed he should sign a two year extension for less money to prove it.
He already took less moeny in his current deal for the NTC. And i think he has shown in the past he's really commited he dosen't have to give them any paycut on an extension. The Leafs made tons of money with him as the face of the franchise and he's their best player so he deserve it. If he retire people won't tell him he's selfish but if he goes to another team that's another story.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Mats didn't screw his team out of anything. It was JFJ that gave him the NTC, so if anyone is "screwing" the leafs out of picks/prospects it's him. Mats has every right to enforce has NTC (and IMO is being quite honorable).

HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
AFI029

Imagine if they could have gotten that edmonton pick out of anaheim along with their own pick this year in this deep of a draft. Wow

AFI029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I think he's starting to wonder why he even bothered. He's been put in an impossible situation. The guys people want won't leave, and the guys who would leave no one wants. The setting of the table for the new GM looks like it could end with re-signing Alex Steen.
it sucks for him indeed. i wouldn't want to be him that for damn sure.

with that said, i get the feeling that on monday mccabe still might waive. my reasoning is unlike sundin who will get some backlash that's going to eventually die down/off, mccabe and others will never hear the end of it and no one will want to go through that.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lint07

so Sundin says NO, Kaberle says NO, Tucker says NO...

Cliff Fletcher can pretty much call in sick on tuesday.

Sadly for Leafs fans I see years of suckiness in Leafland.

Lint07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Don't hold your breath on Mats not getting villafied here by the fans and press. My best guess is, this will turn out to be the longest 20 games of his career. My gut tells me he will retire after this year is done.
Sounds exactly like what I expect to happen. Media turns on him, and he says screw it I'm done at the end of the year. Retires, and the Leafs lose Mats for nothing.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well, they spent megabucks on perennial 40-goal man Jason Blake to play on his wing.
That was such a joke. And they didn't even know it before they signed him. He scored 40 goals once in his career.. Did he even score over 30 before that?

Blake is worth a good $2.5 - $3M a year for 2-3 years.. not $5M per for 4 seasons.

But aside from Blake and a select few others.. who has he had? Hoglund? lol..

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
under the same circumstance if it was Steve Yzerman would you have exopected him to leave town ?
If Holland sat him down told him he was important part of our 3 year plan and that being a rental will make the team more competitive.

I think Yzerman would volontarily go and then be welcomed back a savior. Something went wrong int he leafs room for Sundin to feel he couldnt go. I dont know what it was but something went wrong.

Old
02-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
under the same circumstance if it was Steve Yzerman would you have expected him to leave town ?
I wouldnt expect anything.. But since its just 3-4 months we are talking about.. I think he should have done it to help the teams future...

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 10:18 PM
AFI029

Thing is Detroit never sucked enough to have Yzerman in that position.

AFI029 is offline   Reply With Quote