HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I was rummaging through some old paperwork (long)...

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 06:11 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
I was rummaging through some old paperwork (long)...

So here it is, friday night. For some guys/girls, a time of debauchery and random hedonism. Me?

My wife's got me throwing old paperwork into the wood stove. Marriage is SUCH bliss.

So anyway...I'm tossing the stuff in like like it ain't no thing, and what do I come across?

An old Technical Writing workbook of mine back from my electronics course in Halifax. Bemused, I chanced a glance inside to see what the heck I was doodling back in those days.

I come across an old speed writing exercise our T.W. instructor would have us do, basically writing about whatever popped into our heads at the moment for 5 minutes...real stream of consciousness stuff.

This is what I had wrote on one particular occasion (I was a lot younger and dumber back then, don't laugh):

I wonder how the Oilers will do this year. They have a lot of young, cheap players. That seems to be their goal, to lower payrolls and hope for the best. I wish they could afford them when they improve enough to command the high salaries.

What can they do? Maybe if they had a richer owner, it wouldn't be like this. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers in these times.

So, the season is starting anew, with all the hope and mindless optimisism of any new season that fall brings. There will be contract squabbles, walkouts, trades, all sorts of things to take our minds off the actual playing of the game. What would things be like if the Oilers had some money? They'd probably still be winning cups like they used to do.

Now, all they do is lose players to rich American teams. How sad.

I hope they don't leave the city anytime soon. Edmonton would die as a community without them. How they keep the Oilers is anyone's guess. It's all up to the owner and how much he wants to blackmail the city and Northlands for more dough. The mayor will probably have to intervene to come up with a solution.

I wrote this September 20, 1993.

It's amazing how far we've come, eh?

Old
01-31-2004, 06:26 AM
OilerMania83

That's really creepy...but it's so true...

That was a really good post, Digger. Thanks for typing that up. Was pretty interesting...

Old
01-31-2004, 07:37 AM
Digger12

LOL, I was such a kid...

Found another one (last one, I promise). This one I did on September 27, I must've been in full training camp mode. My T.W. teacher surely thought I was certifiable.

Well, another free writing period. What a bore. I feel like it just won't ever stop.

Phoning my parents last night was very interesting, with all the Oiler news that my dad told me about.

It looks like the Oilers are going to have a good young team, but it may take a while. Guys like Wright, McAmmond, Maltby, Oksiuta and others seem to be gaining the forefront. My dad seemed very positive about the direction they are heading. I wonder who they'll have to back up Ranford? I heard that Brathwaite has been showing some good stuff in camp.

However, it looks like Todd, Podein, Byakin, and others might be on the bubble in Edmonton because of all the young guys. Jason Arnott looks like a keeper as well, although they still have to sign him to a contract. He is big, fast, he has soft hands and good vision, and he likes to use his size as well. He may be their star player in a few years. We'll just have to wait and see if Tyler Wright can show enough offensive touch to match his speed and aggressiveness.

Another player that looks good is Dean McAmmond, a great skater.

See, I didn't always have a hatred of Jason Arnott...

Closed Thread