HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mikhail Grabovski VS Kyle Chiphura ??

View Poll Results: Which one is better ?
Mikhail Grabovski 47 26.70%
Kyle Chipchura 129 73.30%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Chips is the sure fire NHLer.... Grabs is still up in the air....

Chips has potential to be an elite 3rd line checking centre with leadership... Think Guy Carboneau, Doug Jarvis, Brian Skrudland, or even Bob Gainey (high end).... he could even become offensive enough for the second line.
Grabs potential is higher offensive upside than chips, but not at an elite level...

I'd rather have the elite defensive forward vs the decent 2nd liner; the shut down guy is more valuable IMO.

For both those reasons; I have to go with Chips.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Rayne*

It's near impossible to judge a player without looking at what types of players they are. IMO Chips will be more valuable in PK and leadership roles, while Grabo will be more valuable in offensive roles. Different players for different situations. Question answered.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 02-25-2008 at 02:16 AM.
Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 01:56 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Different players for different situations. Question answered.
I don't think it is. Please note that the simplicity that is to follow is not meant in any way to be condescending. Okay, here it is.

Let's say there's a debate, chocolate ice cream vs vanilla. If you just ask a bunch of people which is better, you end up with a bunch of opinions... none of which have any more merit than the next one. But if I ask YOU which one is better, your answer will reflect the value you put on one vs the other, or which one is more "important" to you as an option when you're shopping for ice cream. To YOU one may have more merit than the other.

Replace YOU with Habs, chocolate/vanilla with Grabs/Chips, assume you have to choose one or the other, and go from there.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I don't think it is. Please note that the simplicity that is to follow is not meant in any way to be condescending. Okay, here it is.

Let's say there's a debate, chocolate ice cream vs vanilla. If you just ask a bunch of people which is better, you end up with a bunch of opinions... none of which have any more merit than the next one. But if I ask YOU which one is better, your answer will reflect the value you put on one vs the other, or which one is more "important" to you as an option when you're shopping for ice cream. To YOU one may have more merit than the other.

Replace YOU with Habs, chocolate/vanilla with Grabs/Chips, assume you have to choose one or the other, and go from there.
In this instance, I'd have to go with the vanilla (Chips). Defense wins you more games than offense. Offensive players are a dime a dozen, but the Chipchura types that can frustrate opposing forwards and be a great leader are far more rare. You win more cups with guys like Chips than guys like Grabo. Chips is more valuable.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
In this instance, I'd have to go with the vanilla (Chips). Defense wins you more games than offense. Offensive players are a dime a dozen, but the Chipchura types that can frustrate opposing forwards and be a great leader are far more rare. You win more cups with guys like Chips than guys like Grabo. Chips is more valuable.
Actually, I intended Chips to be chocolate but in any event, I agree.

Old
02-25-2008, 08:25 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
How many goals did chip get in Hamilton?
Why?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Chipchura's skating looks like Pavel Bure next to Latendresse. Anyway, I'd much sooner hang onto Chipchura than Grabovski. Chip is a heart and soul player, he may never produce a lot offensively but he can be the type of player every team needs to win in the playoffs. Grabo has much more offensive talent but we have other young guys higher on the depth chart. Sure he's on fire in the AHL but people are overreacting to it and he may never be able to overcome the size disadvantage. He's definitely expendable.
he was scoring goals with kostopoulos and begin: he got talent offensively

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:38 AM
wedge

it really depends of the team.

If we're talking about us, I'd keep Chipchura because we have a few players like Grabovski.

But Grabovski will be a very good offensive player in the league.

I voted Grabovski because I think that his value will be higher

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

No contest. Chipchura by a landslide.

A couple hot weeks in the AHL doesn't change the fact that Grabovski is still something of a longshot to ever play in the NHL. Chipchura has a long career in the NHL ahead of him. It's not even close.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:41 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Let's look at it this way..

If we trade Chipchura, he was a first round pick. So really his value can't get much higher than that.

Grabovski is a former fifth round pick, if we trade him at a value equivalent to a first round pick, we essentially turned a fifth round pick into a first round pick value. I'd say that's a sign of tremendous drafting by Timmins and development by the organization.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
fatmax

SInce I've kepot S. Kost over Higgins in the other poll, I'd rather keep Chip in order to have different type of player. However, it could be interesting to see how well a bielorussian line would look like (SK-Grab-AK) but i guess it could be seen at the olympipc or during the WC.

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 11:29 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Who was the better player in the AHL playoffs last year. Chipchura was by far imo, although grabo was just coming back from a hand injury so hard to say how much it effected his game.

Chipchura impressed the hell out of me in the playoffs, I hope we don't trade him. I like Grabovski a lot as well, have been a big fan of his since watching him play for Neftkhimik and at the WC's, he was great last year when paired with Kostitsyn, such a fun player to watch. His lack of lower body strength is a big concern though. Funny cause when he was in the nhl, his name was like a dirty word around here, holy crap was he hated, now he goes on a hot streak in the ahl and he's the shiznet.

I like them both and I wonder if the Habs will look to move Grabovski to the wing, to help him in the defensive zone so that he doesn't have to try and contain players down low, which seems to be a problem for him. I like him on the PK in hamilton, as his speed he can cover a lot of ground and he does work hard.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
carbomustgo07

chipchura is better imo because he has the potential to be the shutdown center we desperately need. Grapo is a great offensive player and has superb talent without a doubt, but I just think Chips is more valuable to the team.

carbomustgo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Erika

Kyle Chipchura pounded Mikhail Grabovski in this matchup !!

Let's see now which one Bob Gainey will choose to keep after tomorrow trade deadline.

Kyle Chipchura advance to the Semies.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:21 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
Kyle Chipchura pounded Mikhail Grabovski in this matchup !!
You expected less?

I expect that if you did a cross section of voters you'd come across some reasonable arguments for both sides, but on the average I'd guess that Grabovski got the 'stats readers' votes and Chipchura got the votes from guys that actually watch the games.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I'd keep Chip. Grabovskis are a dime a dozen.
I was just going to say the opposite, we can trade Chips, and get a Bonk-a-like (who is basically Chip's celling) in the UFA season for 1-1.5m

Grabovski has a much higher celling, is friends with the Kost brothers, (and since we seem to be building our team around them, I think keeping him around would send them the right message) and is still adapting to the NA game (I hope everyone remembers how long it took Steit to get into his own)

Grabovski could be Mike Cammalleri in a couple of years
Chipchura could be Radek Bonk in a couple of years

It seems like an obvious choice to me

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I was just going to say the opposite, we can trade Chips, and get a Bonk-a-like (who is basically Chip's celling) in the UFA season for 1-1.5m

Grabovski has a much higher celling, is friends with the Kost brothers, (and since we seem to be building our team around them, I think keeping him around would send them the right message) and is still adapting to the NA game (I hope everyone remembers how long it took Steit to get into his own)

Grabovski could be Mike Cammalleri in a couple of years
Chipchura could be Radek Bonk in a couple of years

It seems like an obvious choice to me
Wow. Wow. Wow. Chips' ceiling is Bonk? A failed offensive player turned quiet yet competent contributer on the defensive side is your impression of Chip's ceiling? I think that's selling short a guy who has always focused on the defensive side of the game while being a vocal and visable leader on the ice. Bonk was often criticized for disappearing and being a non/negative factor in games before he fell into his role in Montreal. Chips will never be accused of disappearing or not trying.

I can't believe how bad a comparison that was. I'll give you that they have both played "third line" centre for the Habs at some point. The similarities end there.

Old
02-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
not even funny, Grabs by a huge mile

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 06:51 PM
xeric716x