Magnus Åkerlund

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Magnus Åkerlund

I wonder what you think about HV71 picking up Jarmo Myllys from Finland. HV 71 already, IMO, have three strong goalies in Stefan Liv (who soon will be back from injurie), Boo Ahl, who have played terrific the few times he got the chance, and junior Magnus Åkerlund. I just wonder why not Åkerlund gets a chance, maybe just to be with the team ín Livs abscense, instead of signing Myllys, it would have been good for his experience. Is he maybe just to young (born 86) to be with a SEL team?

Old
01-31-2004, 10:34 AM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
I think his age has something to do with it.
I can't remember the last time a junior b goalie played in the SEL (has it even happened the last 25 years?)

But on the other hand it is not like HV 71 would have played him (well perhaps only a game or two) had he been the back-up behind Ahl.
I'm hoping and expecting that Åkerlund will be the back-up in HV 71 next season.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Predatore

I browsed through Sweden's U18 WJC/EJC rosters the last 15 years and 91/92 junior b goalie Peter Sundh played one game for Luleå in the SEL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/scorin...ID=7&Year=1992

needless to say that was Sundh's first and only SEL game.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:49 AM
Kronblom

I remember Peter Sundh as pretty good when he played for Arboga, although his numbers aren´t that impressive.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:54 PM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
I think his age has something to do with it.
I can't remember the last time a junior b goalie played in the SEL (has it even happened the last 25 years?)

But on the other hand it is not like HV 71 would have played him (well perhaps only a game or two) had he been the back-up behind Ahl.
I'm hoping and expecting that Åkerlund will be the back-up in HV 71 next season.
I think it would be stupid to let him be a backup next year. Backup is shi t. Im hoping HV will lend him out to a club in Allsvenskan (SEL2) where he´ll gets to play as many games as possible. Why make him a "Jönfeldt behind "lundkvist(this case Liv). BOOOOOO, really bad for his development.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Tampa GM

I believe the only reason why JJ is backup in Frölunda are for money reason. The same reason why Luleå has had those backups ever since Jarmo left.

Just look at what MODO did with Zajkowski. Last year he played for OSK and get alot of experience and this year he has bee one of the best goalies in the Allsvenska, playing for Piteå HC. I strongly believe that Michal will be a strong contender for the starting job for MODO in a couple of months.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:17 PM
Predatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercanyon
I think it would be stupid to let him be a backup next year. Backup is shi t. Im hoping HV will lend him out to a club in Allsvenskan (SEL2) where he´ll gets to play as many games as possible. Why make him a "Jönfeldt behind "lundkvist(this case Liv). BOOOOOO, really bad for his development.
Well it seems you have forgotten that Henrik Lundqvist was the back-up behind Pat Jablonski/Håkan Algotsson, Tellqvist was the back-up behind Tommy Söderström, Stefan Liv was the back-up behind Kari Takko, etc... etc..

A goalie 17,18 year old being lend out to the 2nd-tier league is not very common. IMO there are many more aspects than "being a talented" goalie that weigh in. Such a young goalie hasn't the built/stamina, experience to handle a whole 2nd-tier league season IMO. It's not like the (good/mediocre) second tier league would cut their fan favorite veteran just because a 18-year old kid that doesn't belong to the team and has proven nothing at senior level will get to play loads of games.

I suggest Åkerlund takes the road that the other recent successful goalies have taken A formula that OBVIOUSLY WORKS and allows the players to have the safety of playing in his own town and with his own teammates:
SEL Season 1: Plays 5-10 games in the SEL, plays in the Junior League, possibly a few games in the 2nd-tier league, competes in the WJC
SEL Season 2: Shares the job with the other goalie, 20+ games in the SEL, WJC
SEL Season 3: Is now the top goalie on the team
SEL Season 4: Is now a star goalie in the league

This is the road Henrik Lundqvist, Mikael Tellqvist and Stefan Liv have taken.

My prediction for Åkerlund next season
SEL games: 4 games with HV 71
J20 games: 14 games with HV 71 J20
Tier II games: 6 games with Oskarshamn
+ plenty of games with the Swedish national team

Old
01-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Sounds like a really good development for Åkerlund Pred
Hope those predictions will come true

He seems to be one of the best goalieprospects in years, although I haven´t heard a lot from Heino-Lindberg this season. Anyone know how he is doing? It was quite suprising he was picked so early in last years draft IMO.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:45 PM
An Ape called Yoko

Well. These are all different scenarios. Sure if they use him right, and lend him out to Allsvenskan on different occasions and really lets him stand games during weekends in J-20 league. I´d think itw as great if that was the case. But he´ll probably end up like Lundström or Fagerström(not saying he is good enough)
He needs needs to stand as many games as possible.

Some weekends he´ll probably get to stand for J-20 sure, but this is just bs. He won´t get enough ice time, just like Joakim Lundström this year.

Obviously Åkerlund could never challenge Liv next year. Liv will stand every game, if he is not injured.
At least in Allsvenskan he has a VERY GOOD chance of being a starter. That im sure of. It might not be the strongest team in the league, but at least he´ll get lots of match-training.

Well. Just because it OBVIOUSLY WORKED with these goalkeepers doesn´t necessarily mean it is the right way. Why? Im thinking how many backups while being in development, where their career got screwed partly because of being one...

I´d like:
Next season: A lot of games in Allsvenskan.
SEL Season 1: Shares the job with the other goalie, 20+ games in the SEL, WJC
SEL Season 3: Is now the top goalie on the team
SEL Season 4: Is now a star goalie in the league

Old
01-31-2004, 08:50 PM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
Sounds like a really good development for Åkerlund Pred
Hope those predictions will come true

He seems to be one of the best goalieprospects in years, although I haven´t heard a lot from Heino-Lindberg this season. Anyone know how he is doing? It was quite suprising he was picked so early in last years draft IMO.
Heino had a pretty decent % in goaltending despite the fact that he played on the lousiest team in whole Allsvenskan, 89.58, bombarded with shots every game, which have probably been good for his development(the right way for Åkerlund ).
Now Hammarby took him back and have him as backup to Clint.

Old
01-31-2004, 09:00 PM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:

A goalie 17,18 year old being lend out to the 2nd-tier league is not very common. IMO there are many more aspects than "being a talented" goalie that weigh in. Such a young goalie hasn't the built/stamina, experience to handle a whole 2nd-tier league season IMO. It's not like the (good/mediocre) second tier league would cut their fan favorite veteran just because a 18-year old kid that doesn't belong to the team and has proven nothing at senior level will get to play loads of games.
Well. Heino-Lindbergh is one year older and was a starter for Vallentuna this season. So I think that argument falls blank.
Åkerlund is even more talented than Heino. Why couldn´t he be a starter in Allsvenskan? Sure he could!

Old
01-31-2004, 09:07 PM
Predatore

Quote:
Well. Just because it OBVIOUSLY WORKED with these goalkeepers doesn´t necessarily mean it is the right way. Why? Im thinking how many backups while being in development, where their career got screwed partly because of being one...
True, there are no guarantees.
But I can't think of a single goalie prospect (at least not in recent time) that was lend out to the 2nd-tier league an entire season at the age of 17,18 and then came back to the SEL and became a starter.
That road looks even more uncertain to me, although I must admit I wouldn't mind seeing it happen to a goalie just to see the difference - and if/or/how a young goalie could handle that kind of pressure.

It's a bit different with Heino-Lindberg (Vallentuna now Bajen) there is no pressure there.. playing for the arguably weakest team in the league. At the same time it could, I'm not saying it will/would, but it could affect ones confidence letting in 4-8 goals night after night.

Old
01-31-2004, 09:26 PM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:
True, there are no guarantees.
It's a bit different with Heino-Lindberg (Vallentuna now Bajen) there is no pressure there.. playing for the arguably weakest team in the league. At the same time it could, I'm not saying it will/would, but it could affect ones confidence letting in 4-8 goals night after night.
Ok. The entire season might not be necessary, but i think "the Heino-way"(korny) looks like the best way.
On the contrary I think playing on a weak team and being absolutely BOMBARDED with shots every night is great for his development and his confidence should just grow thicker.

Old
01-31-2004, 09:42 PM
Predatore

I actually think that getting shutouts, winning games is more confidence building than allowing 5-8 goals and losing games.
However it should/could be more developing for a player since .. well obviously he'll face more shots and work harder.

I hope it works out well for Heino, and I think it will.. he is also a special talent. It's slightly different comparing Heino to Åkerlund though, since Hammarby don't even have the option to let him play some SEL games.

They will be our starters in the next WJC for sure, if not Wesslau or some other goalie gets a huge break.

Old
02-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Fredrik

Quote:
Well. Heino-Lindbergh is one year older and was a starter for Vallentuna this season. So I think that argument falls blank.
Åkerlund is even more talented than Heino. Why couldn´t he be a starter in Allsvenskan? Sure he could!
Well, Vallentuna is an exception as they are crap. It doesn't necessarily mean other junior goalies can play in Allsvenskan.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Kronblom

Speaking of Johan Jönfeldt, Västra Frölunda...

His new team for the rest of this season is Borås HC, now that Sampan is back.

http://www.borashc.se/

Closed Thread