HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Make an offer for Vesa Toskala

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2008, 02:51 PM
  #26
TheTruth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Unless blown away, Toskala stays. That said, say Tampa is unable to re-sign Boyle, and will take McCabe off our hands. If they are offering Richards as part of the deal for Toskala, McCabe, I'd do it. IMO Richards is still a top10 scorer in this league, just in an awful situation.

TheTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 02:53 PM
  #27
Avery4Byng*
 
Avery4Byng*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Tosk is a top 8 goalie, he's just had to adjust to a team this year that quite frankly lacks defensively. If Toronto were to improve their defense 20% you would see a serious improvement in his stats.
Only in in the eyes of a Leafs fan.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 02:53 PM
  #28
Reverend Salty
Registered User
 
Reverend Salty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leaf Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopule Harrfis View Post
Ummm... from the games I've watched, he sure does. But, you do make an exceptional argument.
I don't mean this as a trolling shot, but you are an Ottawa fan, correct? I can only assume that you only watch Leafs/Sens games, as I only pay attention to the Sens when we are playing them. From what I have seen and read, Emery is a headcase who is more worried about his airtime than his play and Gerber's pads might as well be made of the material used for "superball" for the bounce the puck takes off of them.

Both of our comments are heavily biased and therefore totally irrelevant.

Reverend Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 02:55 PM
  #29
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Tosk is a top 8 goalie, he's just had to adjust to a team this year that quite frankly lacks defensively. If Toronto were to improve their defense 20% you would see a serious improvement in his stats.
I dont know if I'd go that far, but he's a good goalie

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 02:57 PM
  #30
Vintage93
Registered User
 
Vintage93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopule Harrfis View Post
Ummm... from the games I've watched, he sure does. But, you do make an exceptional argument.
I'm willing to bet I've watched more Leaf games this year. He had a few bad games recently but on the whole he doesn't let in a lot of softies. Your argument is also well informed.

Vintage93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
  #31
Avery4Byng*
 
Avery4Byng*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
I dont know if I'd go that far, but he's a good goalie
But if TO improves their D by 20% then he would be better. Imagine they improved their D by 43%

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:00 PM
  #32
Redden Punches Faces*
 
Redden Punches Faces*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,596
vCash: 500
I don't see why the Leafs wouldn't trade Toskala. He is probably their most attractive asset (available asset), and his value probably isn't going to get much higher. He is too old to be part of the rebuild in my opinion, and he is still unproven as a #1 in the league. I think he has topped out, and there is nowhere to go but down, so trading him at the end of his first solid year might make sense. What is the point in holding on to a goalie in his early 30's when the team is more than a few years away?

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
  #33
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tray View Post
But if TO improves their D by 20% then he would be better. Imagine they improved their D by 43%
but if the d improved by 43.684%?

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
  #34
Jopule Harrfis
Registered User
 
Jopule Harrfis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Salty View Post
I don't mean this as a trolling shot, but you are an Ottawa fan, correct? I can only assume that you only watch Leafs/Sens games, as I only pay attention to the Sens when we are playing them. From what I have seen and read, Emery is a headcase who is more worried about his airtime than his play and Gerber's pads might as well be made of the material used for "superball" for the bounce the puck takes off of them.

Both of our comments are heavily biased and therefore totally irrelevant.
True. I guess I was just frustrated with yet another player on the Leafs who is all World talent, "top 8 in the league". If Sundin, McCabe, Kaberle, Tucker, Toskala, Wellwood, Steen, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Stralman, Tlusty, Kubina are all so great... you see where I'm going here.

I wasn't trying to troll. I was just trying to get my fellow Sens fans to realize that IMO, Toskala isn't much of a step up from Emery and Gerber, and even if he was, our problem does not lie in our goaltending, but in our team defense as a whole.

Good luck with the rebuilding! I look forward to the days where the Sens-Leafs rivalry gets everyone excited once again.

Jopule Harrfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
  #35
Jopule Harrfis
Registered User
 
Jopule Harrfis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage93 View Post
I'm willing to bet I've watched more Leaf games this year. He had a few bad games recently but on the whole he doesn't let in a lot of softies. Your argument is also well informed.
True, you likely have seen more Leaf games than I have, but I have seen probably 2/3 of their games, and while he does seem to make more highlight reel, Patrick Roy like super-exciting saves than Emery or Gerber, he also has very infrequently won a game for the Leafs all on his own... like Emery and Gerber.

The point is moot anyway... I wanted my fellow Sens fans to grasp the idea that changing the goalies will not make enough of a difference, (unless it's a Luongo/Brodeur), it's Ottawa's team defense that needs fixing.

Jopule Harrfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 03:17 PM
  #36
illogic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,949
vCash: 500
This makes no sense at all. Toskala is a pretty good goalie, something that the Leafs would need even if they rebuild.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 04:47 PM
  #37
bones21212
Registered User
 
bones21212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the underground
Country: United States
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 500
dipietro.

bones21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
  #38
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Toronto wouldn't consider dealing Toskala, why would they even think about it? Makes no sense.

Raycroft blows if you haven't noticed and they'd have to rely on him to win a game, which doesn't happen often, or at all.

The Leafs, now that Sundin has thrown that huge ass curve ball should look at moving McCabe, Kubina, Tucker and Blake if they can and get back quality prospects, a couple roster players and picks. Rebuild properly.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
  #39
illogic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones21212 View Post
dipietro.
Luongo.





illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 04:53 PM
  #40
Fire Wilson
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Goalies I would have instead of Toskala

Luongo
Broduer
Nabby
Turco
Kipper
Lundqvist
Dipietro
Giggy
Maybe Miller

If a team needs a goalie, Toskala would be great. However, the Leafs need him.

Fire Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 04:57 PM
  #41
Sharabhi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
I think it makes sense to trade Toskala.

1. We have no use for a great goalie for the next 2 years, as we're not going anywhere! We can deal with some 2nd string goalies, or let Raycroft do his thing.

2. We give ourselves a better opportunity to pick higher for the next two years.

3. Pogge will be our franchise goalie in a couple of years.

Sharabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:15 PM
  #42
bfire
Registered User
 
bfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharabhi View Post
I think it makes sense to trade Toskala.

1. We have no use for a great goalie for the next 2 years, as we're not going anywhere! We can deal with some 2nd string goalies, or let Raycroft do his thing.

2. We give ourselves a better opportunity to pick higher for the next two years.

3. Pogge will be our franchise goalie in a couple of years
.
You say that like it's a guarantee..You always gotta make sure you have someone else incase he doesn't pan out..

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:17 PM
  #43
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfire View Post
You say that like it's a guarantee..You always gotta make sure you have someone else incase he doesn't pan out..
Pogge's made progress in the AHL, but you can never guarantee that a goalie will just come up through your system and be that dynamite #1. Especially since the Toronto media and their fans love to over-hype any prospect.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:20 PM
  #44
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,978
vCash: 500
The Leafs would be better off trading Toskala next year......after a full year of proving himself as a capable #1, and with only 1 year left on his contract.....and with Pogge having another year to develop.

Toskala will have more value next year (both because of more #1 provedness, and because of less remaining on his contract), and the Leafs will also be more able to afford his loss.

No rush to trade Toskala now. It's not as if the UFA market is spectacular this season, that we need the capspace to buy someone great.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 07:44 PM
  #45
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
Huet for Toskala Straight up.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
  #46
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Emery is starting to play good. We don't need Toskala.
Emery? Good? Same sentence??

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 07:52 PM
  #47
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole435 View Post
They trade the one good thing they have going for them?
sheesh!

Go LEAFS GO !

But try and get players that don't have a NTC ....

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 07:52 PM
  #48
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
1 bag of pucks and a used stick.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
  #49
lebnani
 
lebnani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: calgary
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
tosk for roli oh and we will also give you one MILLLLLION dollars

lebnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.