HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo News - Campbell's last game with Sabres

Old
02-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
No, I'm saying they should have abandoned their policy of not negotiating during the season, re-signed Briere, let Drury walk and take the picks for Vanek instead of the hamstringing contract.

Build around Briere, Pominville, and Miller, and the forward depth.

You can't tell me the organization wouldn't be better off with Briere, 2 M more in cap room, and 4 extra first round picks.
I'll take Vanek and Roy over Briere and 4 1st rounders.

Briere is proving how overrated he is. He's going to be the Brad Richards in Philly for awhile. No one is taking that contract until it hits the lean years, and by that time he'll be in his mid 30's.

the difference in Vanek and Briere's cap number is less than 650k. And Briere actually makes MORE over the first 5 years of the deal than Vanek.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Harley

If they are going to trade him I wouldn't even dress him. I wouldn't chance it that he got injured and you lost a huge return vs the 2 points.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redden Punches Faces View Post
He isn't worth the money he will demand. The Sabres are smart to get a slew of assets for him while they can.
Yup, I admire the management for this move.

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Amd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
what would bother the Sabres for a 5 years deal at 5.75M$? it sounds a not bad contract... I don't understand Sabres management
Its not that it isn't reasonable, it is that he wantes a "No Movement Clause". the Sabres will NOT operate at the league max on the salary cap. They would prefer to operate in the 42 to 45 million area of the cap. If you do the math on the current roster, Roy, Vanek, and Hecht eat up around 15 million of that available money. Signing Miller next year at a minumum of 6 million raises that number to 21 million. Adding Campbell with his 6 million would put that total at or around 27 million leaving them only 18 million (operating at the max of there self imposed cap) to sign or deal with 17 other players. The number of players entering the last year of their contract next season for them is high with them having to negotiate contracts with 8 players, including Afinogenov, Kalinin, Spacek, Kotalik, Stafford, Pominville, Peters and Gaustad. The combined total of there current salaries is around 12.7 million currently and you know as well as I that they will all recieve modest raises for the most part if they all remain with the team. Not to mention that this off season they would have Kalinin, Paille and Pratt if they keep him. So if they all get modest raises, minus Campbell and assuming Miller signs for around 6 million, I would assume that that 12.7 million will be closer to 18 million only leaving them around 6 million to even look at and UFA in the off season and allowing them to bring up players from the minors.

The farm system is another issue. They have absoloutely no offensive weapons at all in Rochester or in the process of being close to entering the professional ice hockey world. Moving Campbell to try and replenish some of that talent is essential. The team has the prospects on the blue line and they will start to filter into the minor leagues soon enough.

It is not about the money or the term, it is about the ability they have to move him if the need should arise. Is much as this team needs him, it is about the best move they can make for the future. They have defensive talent that can keep the puck out if the net, if Miller can get his head back in the game and stop allowing goals from the point, but if they can improve their scoring up front and develope more of a scoring threat consistantly the move shouldn't hurt them so bad. At least as fans we hope that it won't.

Amd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:10 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

FWIW, the Buffalo News has now revealed the source is Larry Kelly, Brian Campbell's agent.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/284850.html

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraly View Post
I'm not too sure about that. Signing both Briere and Drury would have put them right up against the cap leaving nothing for Vanek. The offer sheet subsequently tendered by Edmonton would not have been matched.

They could afford one of Drury and Briere, but not both if they wanted to retain Vanek too. Rumours suggest that management wanted Drury over Briere. Rumours also suggest that negotiations with Drury could have been handled better by Buffalo management but we also hear that Drury wanted to play for this childhood favourite team - the Rangers. I think the responsibility for the situation can be shared among the parties involved.

Anyway, personally, I wouldn't want either at the contract terms they ultimately signed for.
ok sure. but I know Briere could have signed for 25/5 before the season started, so signing one of them for cheaper and letting the other go would be better than letting them both go.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:18 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
ok sure. but I know Briere could have signed for 25/5 before the season started, so signing one of them for cheaper and letting the other go would be better than letting them both go.
They had a verbal agreement with Drury to sign after the season. They didn't want to look like they were playing favorites by signing Drury mid season and not doing anything for Briere when both were co-captains. Basically they didn't want to upset Briere.

Then after the season, Drury punked them and chose to go to NY, leaving them with no Drury and no Briere.

They picked the guy they wanted, and they ended up getting burned. I don't know if they can be blamed other than to say they should have signed him during the season and to hell with however Briere felt about it, but then if he sulked and sucked, that wouldn't have accomplished much anyway.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
No, I'm saying they should have abandoned their policy of not negotiating during the season, re-signed Briere, let Drury walk and take the picks for Vanek instead of the hamstringing contract.

Build around Briere, Pominville, and Miller, and the forward depth.

You can't tell me the organization wouldn't be better off with Briere, 2 M more in cap room, and 4 extra first round picks.
This topic has been beaten to death, everybody knew the whole not negotiating mid-season thing was dumb but like they say, hindsight is 50-50. It's very easy to say what they should of done now looking back on it.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
The Thomas J.*

6 or 7 years? That boy is high!

3 to 5 tops

I'd really love to see the Rangers get him, Campbell was going on & on how much he enjoyed playing with Drury & how he taught him the most about being in the NHL & being a NHL player.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I have a strong feeling Doug Wilson will make a move for Campbell.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:34 PM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
why would they even risk injuring him if he's really on his way out?
dumb
Because they are fighting for a playoff spot.....DUMB.....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:38 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

I trust that the Sabres will make the right call after smartly letting Briere and Drury walk last summer.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4thecup View Post
I trust that the Sabres will make the right call after smartly letting Briere and Drury walk last summer.
I just can't wait to see what we get for BC. I'm excited. IF ANything management can do it's making smart solid trades that seem to benefit buffalo the most.

I wouldnt be surprised to see 2 prospects and a roster player come our way in return.

If not, maybe 2 picks and a prospect. Something along these lines

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Good Luck to Campbell, but ever since I saw him allow Crosby to go right around him in the Winter Classic, I wouldn't want Pittsburgh to waste one minute thinking about signing him.....

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Romanich7

Is Afinogenov on his way out of buffalo as well?

Romanich7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:47 PM
teal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen25 View Post
Good Luck to Campbell, but ever since I saw him allow Crosby to go right around him in the Winter Classic, I wouldn't want Pittsburgh to waste one minute thinking about signing him.....
crosby goes around everyone...

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
I just can't wait to see what we get for BC. I'm excited. IF ANything management can do it's making smart solid trades that seem to benefit buffalo the most.

I wouldnt be surprised to see 2 prospects and a roster player come our way in return.

If not, maybe 2 picks and a prospect. Something along these lines
Looks like Campbell will be off to the Habs as early as tonight. From what I hear, it's nearly done.

Gold Pads* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames89 View Post
Looks like Campbell will be off to the Habs as early as tonight. From what I hear, it's nearly done.
I seriously doubt they keep him in the division. Where did you hear this?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by teal View Post
crosby goes around everyone...
It's the way it happened .... he didn't even seem to care to get back into the play.
Hell, he is not what the Pens need anyway.

Somebody will waste the picks and players I guess.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
In division?!?!? No way!!! I don't know you! Do you have an "in"?? I got tickets to the Sabres/Habs game friday too!

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Ignore it. It's not true, not that I'm aware of anyways.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mue

Quote:
Eklund has it as an E4

Doesn't make a lot of sense though.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Saku

Quote:
falmes89?

89 = 18 yrs old?

yeah ok I believe you

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Eklund has it as an E4...I hate Eklund.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
Because they are fighting for a playoff spot.....DUMB.....
then why trade him? DUMB

for more forward depth?
for some mediocre D to round out the rest of their medicore D? or how about more farm help? or is trading away your top D man the way to get into the playoffs and succeed cause you dont want to pay him?

how about they get some balls and actually spend money on a player without Kevin Lowe forcing their hand?

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote