HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Kings @ Oilers 8PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 03:18 PM
Oilers Hockey

vCash: 500
GDT: Kings @ Oilers 8PM

January 31st, 2004

vs.

Last result: An 4-2 win for the L.A. Kings @ Staples Centre

The Oilers (20-23-8-1) are coming off a 5-2 win over the Chicago Blackhawks at Rexall Place.

The Kings (20-15-12-5) are coming off a 3-3 tie with the powerhouse, star-studded Avalanche at the Staples Centre.

Ahh...it's tough to be an Oilers fan right now, but there is something palpable in the air as the end of the season draws ever closer. Is it dare I say...optimism?

Maybe. Probably not. Our woeful powerplay hasn't shown much improvement, Oates hasn't scored, but on the flipside the penalty kill has shown leaps and bounds of improvement despite the game against Colorado.

But they do deserve credit for playing like they actually had an idenity on Thursday night, instead of just haplessly skating around the ice waiting for the opposition to make their move. They played with a edge - mean - and I'll bet no Blackhawk player commented how fun the Oilers are to play at Rexall Place. Ulanov rocks.

If the Oilers want a win tonight, under the watchful eyes of millions tuning in to the weekly Canadian ritual of HNIC, then they have to play with that same egde that made the floodgates open on Thursday.

Yes, the Oilers won against the Blackhawks, but it was something different in the way they won, with desperation and edginess rarely seen in their previous wins.

The L.A. Kings are no pushovers even though they have been struck with a the injury like their competition tonight.

Alot of fans think with York out, we should stick a fork in the Oilers. On the other hand, this could be a true test to see how they deal with a mountain of adversity.

I want to see a hard-hitting, speedy, edgy game from the good guys and for the first time in a long time, I am not writing off this game before it starts.

Kings 1 Oilers 4

Let the games begin. Can the Oilers beat a team 5 games above .500???

(How was that for my first game thread?) :p

Last edited by Oilers Hockey: 01-31-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old
01-31-2004, 03:30 PM
pucklove

751 posts and thats your first thread...WOW.(i'm surprized)
With all the injuries the Kings have had this year I keep expecting them to fold... no such luck. Tonight should be a good indication of what the Oil are made of; Its a winable game but it won't be an easy one by any stretch.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:39 PM
Lowetide

Well, the Kings have tons of injuries, Dionne-Simmer-Taylor is out and Sheldon Kannegeisser has been playing on one leg all season.

Gotta go Oil 4-1.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Bohologo

Funny that the Oilers lose York and the season is doomed, but the Kings have been without Allison, Deadmarsh all season and now they've lost Palffy & Straka, but they're still in the playoff hunt. Can you imagine the Oilers without York, Smyth, Hemsky and Dvorak? Champs would be printing up midnight blue & copper Ovechkin jerseys as we speak.

I think this says a lot about how decent coaching can affect a team (although some Kings fans don't like Murray), and how you have to get on with the guys you've got, no excuses. If the Oilers have any chance at 8th remaining, Salo needs to steal a few games, and the leaders have to lead.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:34 PM
gretzky2kurri

Although I rarely predict in the GDT........I will say one thing.

Adam Oates scores tonight.

You're welcome...

Old
01-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Well, the Kings have tons of injuries, Dionne-Simmer-Taylor is out and Sheldon Kannegeisser has been playing on one leg all season.

Gotta go Oil 4-1.
But you forgot to mention that Roggie Vachon has been standing on his head LT.

Buddy, if you're trying to show your age why don't you just scan your driver's license for us

Old
01-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
But you forgot to mention that Roggie Vachon has been standing on his head LT.

Buddy, if you're trying to show your age why don't you just scan your driver's license for us

Hey, I resisted a Juha Widing reference!

Old
01-31-2004, 05:27 PM
zamboni

3-1 Oilers

Oates, Dvorak, Smyth

Frolov

Old
01-31-2004, 07:26 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
well if the boys come out like gangbusters, we will win the game, cmon ulanov lower the bridge on frolov. either way the oilers are in for a tough night against the kings, they have a great coach who despite all the injuries has still managed to keep his team in contention for a playoff spot. cant say the same for mact.
anyways i go for a 3-3 tie.
i will be curious to see tonight if horcoff and pisani lead the team in minutes played for forwards.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Hyped

I'll predict a shoot-out tonight. 4-4 draw.

Kings: Visnovsky, Stumpel, Armstrong, Pirnes

Oil: Torres, Stoll, Smyth (2)

Old
01-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

leave frolov alone, i finally reached the leaderboard in my hockeypool and that money is very very desperately needed. lower the boom on anybody else, leave frolov alone.
It will be interesting to see if Rita gets in the lineup, the names you'd usually bench are all playing great right now (Laraque, Pisani, Horcoff). Bishai has shown a nose for the net and will likely be rewarded for it. So Rita sits again I think.

3-1 Edmonton
Laraque scores AGAIN
Ulanov gets a PP
Stoll hits the open net.

Frolov for LA.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
January 31st, 2004

vs.

*snip*

and I'll bet no Blackhawk player commented how fun the Oilers are to play at Rexall Place. Ulanov rocks.

*snip*

(How was that for my first game thread?) :p

Probably the best gdt yet, you've set a new standard Hemskyfan!

I feel the urge to root for the Oil to make the show although my fear of fininshing worst overall (17th) is still strong. This team has been so ineffective for so long that you can't really blame a guy for not believing after 50 nights of crap (ok, 29/50). Hopefully Rita plays, and scores.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:43 PM
Oilers_775

Oilers to win 3-1

Old
01-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Id like to see this line for tonight..

Torres-Oates-Dvorak

then maybe...

Horcoff-Smyth-Pisani (our best line over the last 2 games)
Moreau-Stoll-Laraque
Isbister-Bishai-Hemsky (Izzy can get the puck to the net, Bishai likes to get to the nest and Hemsky likes to pass, so Hemsky passes to Izzy who drives down the left wing gets a soft shot or whiffs leaving the puck lying there for Bishai to hack at for a few seconds. makes sense to me.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:00 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Unless Oil have the fortitude to give Oates the night off and give Rita his spot????
doubtful, but possible, anything can happen on a Saturday Night.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:01 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Id like to see this line for tonight..

Torres-Oates-Dvorak

then maybe...

Horcoff-Smyth-Pisani (our best line over the last 2 games)
Moreau-Stoll-Laraque
Isbister-Bishai-Hemsky (Izzy can get the puck to the net, Bishai likes to get to the nest and Hemsky likes to pass, so Hemsky passes to Izzy who drives down the left wing gets a soft shot or whiffs leaving the puck lying there for Bishai to hack at for a few seconds. makes sense to me.
I like it. Except I think Rita should draw in somewhere. I really want to see that guy tonight... Maybe instead of Laraque. I know he scored last night, but Rita needs a chance..

Last edited by s7ark: 01-31-2004 at 08:04 PM.
Old
01-31-2004, 08:09 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Let Bishai play another game....he wasnt bad at all last game...However...I have a feeling they both might play.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:26 PM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Funny that the Oilers lose York and the season is doomed, but the Kings have been without Allison, Deadmarsh all season and now they've lost Palffy & Straka, but they're still in the playoff hunt. Can you imagine the Oilers without York, Smyth, Hemsky and Dvorak? Champs would be printing up midnight blue & copper Ovechkin jerseys as we speak.

I think this says a lot about how decent coaching can affect a team (although some Kings fans don't like Murray), and how you have to get on with the guys you've got, no excuses. If the Oilers have any chance at 8th remaining, Salo needs to steal a few games, and the leaders have to lead.
Kings are getting it done on heart, grit, determination and excellent preparation by Murray. It seems like the more injuries they have, the harder they fight and the better the result. Frolov is emerging as a superstar at age 21, Visnovsky is becoming one of the best defensemen in the league and proving he should be in the all-star game, and Cechmanek is rounding to form. I predict a good game tonight. Hopefully with the Kings on top!

Old
01-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
do the oilers ever get a winning streak anymore?

after that pathetic win against chicago i don't expect much out of the oilers tonight

PROVE ME WRONG PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG

Old
01-31-2004, 08:43 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I get a lot of Kings coverage here (I'm in LA -- duh), and this team is really really surprising. I can't imagine a team playing this well without four of their top players. What would happen if we lost York, Smyth, Dvorak, and Brewer? Frolov is just an exceptional player...right now I'd say he's higher on the curve than Hemsky. Murray manages to keep everyone focused and driven and if they can do it, I don't see why we can't. (another jab at MacT?)

Anyways, I'll keep predicting Oiler wins...its not like I'm gonna lose money...

3-2 (Hemsky, Brewer, Oates???!!!)

Old
01-31-2004, 10:25 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Anyways, I'll keep predicting Oiler wins...its not like I'm gonna lose money...
Wanna bet then?

Old
01-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Walsher

What about trying a Rita-Oates-Hemsky line. Two offensive talents with the ultimate playmaker. To me worth a shot.

Rita-Oates-Hemsky
Izzy-Bishai-Dvorak
Smyth-Horcoff-Moreau
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

I would like to see Rita tonight. He may be being ripped on here some days but he is one of the most raw talents this club has. Whatever the team tonight I am very confident of a 5-2 win. Dvo(2), Izzy, Staios, Rita.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:53 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
Wanna bet then?
No thank you. I'd probably lose

Old
01-31-2004, 11:05 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Lines I'd like to see tonight:

Dvorak-Stoll-Hemsky
Torres-Oates-Chimera
Smyth-Horcoff-Pisani
Isbister-Bishai-Moreau

Know it probably won't happen because Chimera isn't supposed to play, and these combos would be very un-MacTavish, but hey, a guy can hope.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:30 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
What about trying a Rita-Oates-Hemsky line. Two offensive talents with the ultimate playmaker. To me worth a shot.

Rita-Oates-Hemsky
Izzy-Bishai-Dvorak
Smyth-Horcoff-Moreau
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

I would like to see Rita tonight. He may be being ripped on here some days but he is one of the most raw talents this club has. Whatever the team tonight I am very confident of a 5-2 win. Dvo(2), Izzy, Staios, Rita.
I dont see Pisani sitting after 2 strong games on a line that is showing flashes of high level mediocrity, lol. I'd love to see Rita given a chance though.

Closed Thread