Notices

Anaheim vs. Calgary Game Thread 13/02/04

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2004, 04:31 PM
kruezer

vCash: 500
Anaheim vs. Calgary Game Thread 13/02/04

I thought I'd start this one up a bit earlier.

Anaheim (13th 56 GP 18-23-8-7 51 PTS)
vs.
Calgary (5th 56 GP 28-20-5-3 64 PTS)

I am happy to say I get to go to this game (and for 25 bucks, gotta love student tickets, even if there nosebleeds).

Anybody guessing on Turek or Kipper?
Anybody know why Leopold's ice time was down last game? I didn't see anything happen to him, but the PPV was not working well for me so I missed alot.
Vinny Prospal is on fire for the ducks, and Iginla for the Flames (8 goals in the last 6 games I believe)

Hopefully its a good game to watch, and maybe the Flames can keep the defensive gaffs down as they have in the last two games sine the break.

Old
02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I'll guess Kipper.

Old
02-12-2004, 08:31 PM
OBCT

Send a message via MSN to OBCT
Quote:
My guess is Kipper. Unless of course he's still injured, which I doubt.

Quote:
Anybody know why Leopold's ice time was down last game?
Nobody seems to be reporting any Flames injuries other than the ones to Yelle, Betts, Lowry, McLennan and Commodore. Unless they're hiding it or it was very minor, I doubt Leopold was benched due to injury.

After looking at the game's shift chart (here) it makes me believe that Sutter felt like rolling Gauthier, Regehr, Lydman and Warrener in the game's last 10 minutes. By looking at the shifts of the 7 defensemen, you can tell that Leopold and Montador were benched at pretty much the same time (half-way through the third period), ne'er to return. Saprykin and Green also got the hook at about the same time, with Ference following their trip to the pine shortly thereafter. I don't think this was the direct result of one or two botched plays in particular, but rather a decision made by coach Sutter based on the trust he has in his players. Also to blame is coach Crawford's decision to bench Keane, May, Chubarov, Grenier and Bouck for the same period of time. Sutter likes having the right defensive matchups whenever possible on visiting ice, so he had to double-shift his best d-men when Crawford double-shifted his best players. Another reason could be the 2-minute penalty to Reinprecht with 4 minutes remaining in the game. It is entirely possible that both coaches were planning on putting their fourth lines out there for one last push with 3 or 4 minutes left, but with the Canuck powerplay spanning as late in the game as it did, neither team could chance icing their fourth line after the eventual penalty kill.

That said, I really don't think that Leopold's disappearance was due to injury. Expect to see him in the lineup versus the Mighty Ducks tomorrow night.

Old
02-12-2004, 10:55 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
So far we've done pretty good against the Ducks. 2 games, 2 wins, 11 GF, 5 GA
I'd expect Kipper to start. Hopefully another big game by Iggy.
I predict 4-1 Flames, Iggy with 2

Old
02-12-2004, 11:12 PM
fcbarcelona

guys, is kipper the flames number one goalie? if he is, will turek get anymore starts? does he even deserve anymore starts? how does noodles figure into this situation? thx in advance.

Old
02-13-2004, 01:09 AM
Randall Graves*

You guys should kill the Ducks,everytime it looks like we are getting momentum some team has a 4th line nobody score 2 goals.

I expect Oliwa to get 2 goals,and assist and a fight.

Old
02-13-2004, 03:32 AM
ForeignFlame

I'll say Kipper gets the nod, and the Flames skate off the ice with a 3-1 win.

Go Flames!!! :dazzle:

Old
02-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
guys, is kipper the flames number one goalie? if he is, will turek get anymore starts? does he even deserve anymore starts? how does noodles figure into this situation? thx in advance.
I'd imagine the coaches will probably ride both unless one proves to be much more consistent than the other. Lot's of people were quick to judge Turek but I think a lot of it was unfair as the player was coming off a major injury. How Turek plays in the next month will really tell us where's he at.

Long term I think Kiprusoff will be ahead of Turek on the depth chart. If the Flames can deal or waive Turek then McLennan stays for the rest of this year, if they can't then I think McLennan would be shipped out.

Old
02-13-2004, 12:28 PM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
GO DUCKS GO....AS a Kings fan this is one of those rare rare rare rare rare occasions when I can say that...but in my honest opinion I think Calgary will win 5-3

Old
02-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Healthy Scratch

I like Anaheim in this one. They're playing some of their best hockey of the season (Prospal and Fedorov are on fire) and they've been badly beaten by the Flames twice this season. If Giguere is able to nad up, they'll win.

Anaheim 4 : Lupul, Fedorov, Prospal, Carney
Calgary 2: Iginla, Oliwa

Old
02-13-2004, 04:26 PM
OBCT

Send a message via MSN to OBCT
I predict a 4-3 win for the Flames.

Flames goal-scorers: Donovan, Iggy, Saprykin, Conroy
Ducks goal-scorers: Fedorov, Sykora, Lupul

Old
02-13-2004, 05:06 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Go Flames!
I'll predict a 3-1 win. Iggy, Sappy and Leopold with the goals.

Old
02-13-2004, 06:47 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
I expect Oliwa to get 2 goals,and assist and a fight.
Burnett probably will be healthy scratched to get Schastlivy in the lineup...so no one for Oliwa to fight...

Old
02-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
The Flames got back to that textbook solid defence that they had in that hot December stretch tonight. They looked very solid, and very confident. If they continue to play like they did tonight, there will be a lot of W's.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
02-14-2004, 01:25 AM
kruezer

Solid game, definetaly, not incredibly exciting so to speak, but intense, definetaly intense, stretch drive hockey. Great game by Kipper, Rhino-Conny-Iggy was solid, as was Gel-Mac-Dono, they got most of the playing time, with a kind of mish-mash on the 3rd/4th lines. I like the looks of it going into the stretch drive anyway, two solid veteran lines, and then just let the kids soak up the experience, one of the better games Leopold has had in quite a while IMO, got the goal, but he defense was far better than he has been lately. Gauthier had a beast of a hit on Sykora, watch for that one on rock'em sock'em. Regehr is just a monster IMO, he could still assert himself more of course, but look out, the guy is a beast. Lydman was okay, but I really don't like the pairing of him with Ference, perhaps having him with Phaneuf next year would be good? I don't know, or a defensive d-man, I think more advantage could be taken of his offense, being with Ference causes him to fall back a bit more IMO. Warrener was himself. We could still use Yelle, we got murdered on the draws.

It was a really tight game, alot of tension, but they pulled it out. 3 in a row, Lets hope some more can follow.

Old
02-14-2004, 02:44 AM
ForeignFlame

We're now back to nine games over .500, which is the best record we've had this season.

Old
02-14-2004, 04:50 AM
Boomstick

vCash: 495
I'm so happy, this is awesome watching these guys give it their all every night.
Keep it up, Flames.

Old
02-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12
I'll predict a 3-1 win. Iggy, Sappy and Leopold with the goals.
Pretty close.

Just another observation here, but it seems that Kobasew can get knocked off the puck rather easily by big defenders. For him to become the Drury-type player he is capable of becoming, he really needs to devote himself more to increasing his upper body strength. His skating is adequate, but he doesn't have the blazing speed to bounce off checks, like some other smallish wingers can. His approach to the game involves threading the needle, so he'll have to withstand more punishment in order to drive to the crease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
Burnett probably will be healthy scratched to get Schastlivy in the lineup...so no one for Oliwa to fight...
Somebody else was trying to make a name for himself, and Oliwa taught the youngster a little lesson. Too bad the cameras didn't capture the beginning.

Closed Thread