HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-non Flyers trade discussion goes here

Old
02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
FlyersMania2

vCash: 500
I was coming in to comment on the Huet/2nd deal- I still don't quite get it. Like at all.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 06:11 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
I was coming in to comment on the Huet/2nd deal- I still don't quite get it. Like at all.
I'm thinking that if Huet wasn't dealt today, they would have let him walk at the end of the year. Montreal's quite high on Price and Halak is a capable back-up if Price gets tired or performs poorly for a stretch.

it looks like the organization didn't believe Huet could take them to the Cup, so why not give Price a shot?

This way at least they got something for Huet.

02-26-2008, 06:54 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I'm thinking that if Huet wasn't dealt today, they would have let him walk at the end of the year. Montreal's quite high on Price and Halak is a capable back-up if Price gets tired or performs poorly for a stretch.

it looks like the organization didn't believe Huet could take them to the Cup, so why not give Price a shot?

This way at least they got something for Huet.
Not that Huet is proven but he has been in between the pipes all season and has proved he is quite capable...let the kid get adjusted as a back-up, now the pressure on him at 21 years old is out of this world, and he isn't proven.

There isn't a good answer to why they did it, maybe they want price to hold the whole team on his shoulders- but sheesh.

Old
02-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Not that Huet is proven but he has been in between the pipes all season and has proved he is quite capable...let the kid get adjusted as a back-up, now the pressure on him at 21 years old is out of this world, and he isn't proven.

There isn't a good answer to why they did it, maybe they want price to hold the whole team on his shoulders- but sheesh.
Price is one of the most calm under pressure goalies I've ever seen. Did you see the Canada-US shootout in the semis two years ago? Ridiculous. He also won the Calder Cup last year after playing the season in juniors. He's clutch and he's proven he can handle pressure before. It's not the NHL playoffs, but it's certainly a glimpse into his character.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Shoeny

We gave up a third for Modry......why couldnt we have traded a second and fourth for Stuart.

stuart>modry

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
We gave up a third for Modry......why couldnt we have traded a second and fourth for Stuart.

stuart>modry
good post

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 09:44 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Price is one of the most calm under pressure goalies I've ever seen. Did you see the Canada-US shootout in the semis two years ago? Ridiculous. He also won the Calder Cup last year after playing the season in juniors. He's clutch and he's proven he can handle pressure before. It's not the NHL playoffs, but it's certainly a glimpse into his character.
Niitty is my favorite flyer- criticize all you want...but this sounds all so familiar.

Price needs a starting goalie to mentor him...he needs to split the load- not carry the load. This is Montreal we are talking about, he is 21 with less than a year of NHL experience. He's great, but the kid shouldn't be given this kind of pressure especially bc if he doesn't take them all the way he will become their new whipping boy.

They shoulda kept Huet around. Price should not be in this situation, not yet.

Old
02-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Niitty is my favorite flyer- criticize all you want...but this sounds all so familiar.

Price needs a starting goalie to mentor him...he needs to split the load- not carry the load. This is Montreal we are talking about, he is 21 with less than a year of NHL experience. He's great, but the kid shouldn't be given this kind of pressure especially bc if he doesn't take them all the way he will become their new whipping boy.

They shoulda kept Huet around. Price should not be in this situation, not yet.
Niittymaki is one of the most mentally soft goaltenders I can recall. His concentration tends to stray. They are not alike at all.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 01:25 AM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Niitty is my favorite flyer- criticize all you want...
Atleast he is still on the team, my favorite flyer up and left for Russia...so now I call him Robert Eschov. I got criticized alot so I feel ya.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Nitty had a goal go past him because he was watching the jumbotron... he lacks focus and that's why he got out of sorts when he was given the starting job, had nothing to do with a vet not being around.

Moreover, I'm confused about the thought that a veteran goalie can really alleviate the pressure of the playoffs anyway. Is the media going to be asking the vet questions? Is he going to be answering questions for the younger guy? Is he going to be making pressure saves?

You know what's a truth? Good goalies play well no matter what... and ultimately you have to find out what they're made of.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Shoeny

Quote:

stuart>modry
it's actually an early third

homer prob couldn't get that deal a week ago when we needed a seventh

oh btw with stuart here our defense looks nice

timonen-coburn
parent-stuart
jones-kukkonen

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 08:43 PM
lancer247

Quote:
it's actually an early third

homer prob couldn't get that deal a week ago when we needed a seventh

oh btw with stuart here our defense looks nice

timonen-coburn
parent-stuart
jones-kukkonen
yeah, you have to assume homer asked about stuart before moldy...kings were holding out as long as possible for best deal...

if the gauthier call-up rumor is true how bad does stevens not like kuks that they will risk losing goat and having to pay half his salary???

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
yeah, you have to assume homer asked about stuart before moldy...kings were holding out as long as possible for best deal...

if the gauthier call-up rumor is true how bad does stevens not like kuks that they will risk losing goat and having to pay half his salary???
Stevens can't pull that trigger.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote