HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Night In Canada: How do we get more Quebec representation on there?

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 10:56 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Hockey Night In Canada: How do we get more Quebec representation on there?

Any ideas? Is there anyone in Quebec who can go toe-to-toe with Don Cherry? Or who would be a good commentator?

That show definitely needs to take a bit of focus off of Toronto. It's getting ridiculous now.

Montreal and Toronto both have large fanbases in Canada and throughout the world. There is no need for a Toronto-centric presentation week after week. Yes, Quebec has RDS and Radio Canada, but there are plenty of English Canadiens fans as well and until there is Quebec representation, they will not respect Quebec or the Canadiens and it's beyond annoying, it's just plain stupid to leave that many potential consumers in the dark.

If you have concerns about this too, the best course of action would be to send a well thought-out email (with no insults or bad language) to hnic@cbc.ca. I think that would be the most effective route. I am going to set up a Yahoo reminder to email them every week until they fully integrate the other Canadian teams and make a more prominent and respectful role for Quebec and the Canadiens.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 01-29-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old
01-29-2004, 11:00 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Any ideas? Is there anyone in Quebec who can go toe-to-toe with Don Cherry? Or who would be a good commentator?

That show definitely needs to take a bit of focus off of Toronto. It's getting ridiculous now.

Montreal and Toronto both have large fanbases in Canada and throughout the world. There is no need for a Toronto-centric presentation week after week. Yes, Quebec has RDS and Radio Canada, but there are plenty of English Canadiens fans as well and until there is Quebec representation, they will not respect Quebec or the Canadiens and it's beyond annoying, it's just plain stupid to leave that many potential consumers in the dark.

If you have concerns about this too, the best course of action would be to send a well thought-out email (with no insults or bad language) to hnic@cbc.ca. I think that would be the most effective route. I am going to set up a Yahoo reminder to email them every week until they fully integrate the other Canadian teams and make a more prominent and respectful role for Quebec and the Canadiens.
MONEY DRIVEN

Old
01-29-2004, 11:05 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
MONEY DRIVEN
Here's the letter I sent:

Dear Joel Darling, executive producer of Hockey Night in Canada:

Is there anyone in Quebec who can go toe-to-toe with Don Cherry? Or who would be a good commentator?

HNIC definitely needs to take a bit of focus off of Toronto. It's getting ridiculous now.
Montreal and Toronto both have large fanbases in Canada and throughout the world. There is no need for a Toronto-centric presentation week after week. Yes, Quebec has RDS and Radio Canada, but there are plenty of English Canadiens fans as well and until you improve your Quebec representation, they will not respect Quebec or the Canadiens. It's beyond annoying, it's just plain stupid to leave that many potential consumers in the dark.

I am going to set up a Yahoo reminder to email you every week and I am helping to organize against HNIC until you fully integrate the other Canadian teams and make a more prominent and respectful role for Quebec and the Canadiens.

A former fan of the show,
Daniel Clarke

Old
01-29-2004, 11:06 PM
tinyzombies

Here's the answer I just received:

Thank you for your email, we appreciate hearing your feedback. For
more
information about Hockey Night in Canada, please read our FAQ at
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/faq.html. If you are sending a
comment or suggestion for HNIC, please be assured that your comments
will be passed on to the appropriate individuals. We thank you for
taking the time to write to us.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Mathletic

Why does this person have to be from Quebec ?

Why don't you send that letter to SRC also to tell them that we want to watch the Senators/Leafs/Flames/Canucks/Oilers too on Saturday Nights ? and tell them that no one likes Daniel Sauvageau because she says nothing interesting

Old
01-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Rake, what you have to understand here is that the biggest loser here is CBC, and not non-Leafs fans. The people who are getting fed up with the way HNIC handles hockey are tuning on to other shows and getting their infos elsewhere. The only way we will see a change of pace, is if their ratings keep getting lower and lower.

CBC and TSN both enjoy showing how the Leafs are the best at what they do, but at the end of the day, they're actually loosing viewers because of that approach. Atleast that's what I like to believe. If that's not the case, then they will go on as they are doing right now.

The main reason why Toronto is being showcased so often is because there is an interest. A network's policy isn't build around a hockey team, but rather their fans and especially their money. They keep pushing the Leafs card, because there's money to be made!

Old
01-29-2004, 11:10 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles
Why does this person have to be from Quebec ?

Why don't you send that letter to SRC also to tell them that we want to watch the Senators/Leafs/Flames/Canucks/Oilers too on Saturday Nights ? and tell them that no one likes Daniel Sauvageau because she says nothing interesting
Would you rather the person be from the moon? Why don't YOU write a letter to SRC?

Old
01-29-2004, 11:11 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Rake, what you have to understand here is that the biggest loser here is CBC, and not non-Leafs fans. The people who are getting fed up with the way HNIC handles hockey are tuning on to other shows and getting their infos elsewhere. The only way we will see a change of pace, is if their ratings keep getting lower and lower.

CBC and TSN both enjoy showing how the Leafs are the best at what they do, but at the end of the day, they're actually loosing viewers because of that approach. Atleast that's what I like to believe. If that's not the case, then they will go on as they are doing right now.

The main reason why Toronto is being showcased so often is because there is an interest. A network's policy isn't build around a hockey team, but rather their fans and especially their money. They keep pushing the Leafs card, because there's money to be made!

The only alternative is to boycott the sponsors of Hockey Night in Canada...

I will start making a list of those and pass them along. Enough is enough.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Would you rather the person be from the moon?
If someone is from B.C. or Alberta, does that make him idiot ? anti-Québécois ? or stops him from doing interesting comments ? ... and I don't mind if they replace Cherry by someone BETTER !!!! no matter if that person is America, Russian or whatever ...

Old
01-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Slarou

vCash:
[QUOTE=FSU Seminoles]Why does this person have to be from Quebec ?

actualy I feel the same way about you !

Old
01-29-2004, 11:18 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
If someone is from B.C. or Alberta, does that make him idiot ? anti-Québécois ? or stops him from doing interesting comments ? ... and I don't mind if they replace Cherry by someone BETTER !!!! no matter if that person is America, Russian or whatever ...
agree with you!

Old
01-29-2004, 11:24 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I'm not talking about replacing Cherry. You're changing the argument. I'm talking about getting some Quebec people on the show. Yes, it does matter where they come from and who they root for. That has to be obvious to you if you watch HNIC!

Old
01-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Kirk Muller

To me its very hypocritical to complain about Quebec representation on HNIC when SRC is basically the French Alternative for Hab fans. First you clean your own house, maybe SRC should get some English speaking guest for us whose first language is English.

Also, being from out West, we get the beautiful scenario of one game split between 4 teams unless they play Toronto or Montreal. Is that fair? I have watched Montreal games in French for as long as I can remember, I get my hab fix guarenteed once a week like the Leaf fans.

If anyone has a right to complain, it is Ottawa, Flames, Canuck, and Oilers fans across Canada.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
To me its very hypocritical to complain about Quebec representation on HNIC when SRC is basically the French Alternative for Hab fans. First you clean your own house, maybe SRC should get some English speaking guest for us whose first language is English.
I agree

Old
01-29-2004, 11:29 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
I think it depends on which way CBC is looking to go. In the current direction, you have a laid back and somewhat moronic Ron Mclean co-hosting with an always outspoken bigot. That seems to draw quite a few viewers, simply because the show is centered around the Leafs which happen to sit in the heart of the country, population wise. What CBC does not realize is that bigger is not better. You have to remember that the CBC is located in Toronto, and while it is a National Network the majority of their homebase employees are from the GTA, thus will carry a bit of Leafs bias.

If CBC was looking at a more laid back approach, than you have to look at the likes of Dave Hodge (didn't he already work the role though?) or Scotty Bowman, alongside perhaps a Kelly Hrudey or a guy such as Gord Miller. Eric Duhatsheck is a great personality too. He is excellent on the Hotstove, but would probably not be 'interesting' enough to most people, even though most of what he would present would be BANG on. On the topic of BANG!, Pierre Mcguire would be a welcomed visitor to the CBC in my opinion. Here is a guy who knows a lot about the Habs, appears on the Team 990 daily, and has covered the league like nearly nobody else.

Those are some names who could effectively contribute in my opinion. If I was to bet, the future of the show probably rests on quality hockey people such as Miller and Hrudey, with Chris Cuthbert and perhaps Pierre Mcguire calling the games.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
I'm not talking about replacing Cherry. You're changing the argument. I'm talking about getting some Quebec people on the show. Yes, it does matter where they come from and who they root for. That has to be obvious to you if you watch HNIC!
okay sorry I thought you were aiming at Cherry since he's the core of some talks right now ... then, Jacques Demers is often on Satelite Hotstove ...

Old
01-29-2004, 11:33 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13

Also, being from out West, we get the beautiful scenario of one game split between 4 teams unless they play Toronto or Montreal. Is that fair? I have watched Montreal games in French for as long as I can remember, I get my hab fix guarenteed once a week like the Leaf fans.

If anyone has a right to complain, it is Ottawa, Flames, Canuck, and Oilers fans across Canada.
There are 2 million English speaking Quebeckers at least and many more million throughout Canada and in the States. If you wanna change the name of the show to Hockey Night in Toronto, fine, but why do those other teams have a right to complain more than the Montreal Canadiens?

The Western teams come on after Toronto and they basically own the show from that point onward. You guys don't have to put up with the Toronto bs as much as the East does.

All I'm saying is keep the same crew, but hire a few more people to balance the opinion. Maybe a color guy who can talk **** about Cole and Neale and Cherry. That's one thing they haven't done is criticize those guys ON THEIR VERY OWN SHOW. A weekly debate would be good.

When you learn to speak French, give the SRC a call and ask them to have Canuck coverage, until then I don't see your point.

Back in the day, HNIC used to have a Montreal crew and a Toronto crew and it seemed to work very well. When Montreal played Toronto in the playoffs, the broadcasters would switch off home and away games.

Another Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin would be nice, but they don't grow on trees.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 01-29-2004 at 11:37 PM.
Old
01-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
When you learn to speak French, give the SRC a call and ask them to have Canuck coverage, until then I don't see your point.
I'm sure most can speak English :p

Old
01-29-2004, 11:38 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
well

there are many good points to consider

but I don't know any

there are different markets and contracts from the NHL as I understand it and CBC does not get all the games
I guess no other networks want the Make Beliefs (sp?) games

no, I'm just being stupid.......BUTT I have seen Hockey Night in Canada show Toronto games in the states when other Canadians teams have played at the same time

It's not just us Habs fans complaining about Hockey Night in Toronto, Ottawa Senators and their fans have too

I complained for years about the only way we could see a Habs game on HNIT if (a) they played against Toronto (b) Toronto didn't play that nite (which they always seem too) (c) do like the rest and got a satelite dish and watch it on a sports channel

but the most important thing is to trade Perrault before the trade deadline

Old
01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
I'm sure most can speak English :p
The Canucks are on all the time. Any real hockey fan will have the NHL Center Ice package anyway, but the Canadiens don't televise their own games in English unless Sportsnet or TSN does it.

It would be nice if the Canadiens could get better repped on HNIC though since they used to be a huge part of that show.

In any case, if the Canadiens continue to get better and become a contender, the CBC better get on board or CTV will step in.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
I don't see your point either ... why can't they send Houde and Pedneault to Ottawa so that we have a Senators against Canucks game on a Saturday Night in Québec ?

Old
01-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
The Canucks are on all the time. Any real hockey fan will have the NHL Center Ice package anyway, but the Canadiens don't televise their own games in English unless Sportsnet or TSN does it.

It would be nice if the Canadiens could get better repped on HNIC though since they used to be a huge part of that show.
I don't care about Canucks games. I'd like to see more Canadiens games shown on HNIC. Just because the team is in a predominately French province, doesn't mean that all games should be televised in French. English speaking fans deserve some consideration too. Quebeckers are complaining that Quebec doesn't enough representation on HNIC, but at least most of them understand the games televised in French.

Old
01-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
They should get Jaques Demer's in there he would be ripping like a girl's panties on a saturday night

Old
01-30-2004, 12:28 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfTheForum
there are many good points to consider

but I don't know any

there are different markets and contracts from the NHL as I understand it and CBC does not get all the games
I guess no other networks want the Make Beliefs (sp?) games

no, I'm just being stupid.......BUTT I have seen Hockey Night in Canada show Toronto games in the states when other Canadians teams have played at the same time

It's not just us Habs fans complaining about Hockey Night in Toronto, Ottawa Senators and their fans have too

I complained for years about the only way we could see a Habs game on HNIT if (a) they played against Toronto (b) Toronto didn't play that nite (which they always seem too) (c) do like the rest and got a satelite dish and watch it on a sports channel

but the most important thing is to trade Perrault before the trade deadline
HNIC's contract is basically they get all the Saturday night games involving Canadian Teams that they want (please someone correct me if I am wrong).

While HNIC is very Toronto centric, it is hard for habs fans to complain (Sens fans...that is another matter). Habs fans have SRC, and while it is in French, no matter where you are in Canada, you can catch a Habs game on Saturday night...not too bad if you ask me.

Also, don't forget that it has to do with ratings too...the Leafs draw the most english speaking fans in their time slot so they get the most games. The Habs draw the vast majority of French speaking fans in their time slot so they get all the games. These ratings are also why the Leafs and Habs play every Saturday (except All Star weekend of course). I am not sure if all the other Canadian teams play on every Saturday night.

I am a Habs fan living in Toronto, and I hate the Laffs. I also remember the good old days when, even in Toronto, half the HNIC games involved the Habs, but that was because the Habs were the most popular team in the country. It is not the case anymore (sadly). The Leafs are now the team with the most fans in Canada (this is also because there are less Habs fans in Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, as the young people who have grown up with teams in those cities don't really care who there parents cheer for. Plus the Habs have sucked for the past 6 years hasn't helped).

I am not saying that I like this situation, but that is the way it is. If the Habs can put together a few solid years in a row, things will get better (God I hope that happens). But until then, just be happy you aren't a Sens fan.

Oh, and GO HABS GO!!!!

Old
01-30-2004, 03:03 AM
Hydroponic Harold

Quote:

I dont understand this ..why if ime watching Edmonton and Vancouver would i want a Quebec announcer or intermission host ???? Dick Irvin contributes regularily on HNIC broadcasts and Bergeron , Red Fisher and Michael farber have all been featured prominantly .I dont see what the problem is ..if you want to watch Montreal games ANYWHERE in Canada you have the CBC french channel to watch it .Myself personally i enjoy having the option to watch the Leafs on english or the Habs on french and the western game is whomever ..If the Habs were to say get more of the english HNIC ..then we out west would lose Leaf games .

ps- Leaf fans far outnumber Hab fans out this way ..Hab fans are for the most part old hippies like me who still think Guy Lafleur was the greatest player ever .In all honesty you dont see a lot of young folk out this way wearing Les Tri colour .

Closed Thread