HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gonchar "ahead of schedule"!

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 04:28 PM
guzmania

vCash: 500
Gonchar "ahead of schedule"!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

Put this pot back on the fire. These guys'll want small contracts and prospects, probably on the D-side. We would upgrade our team with him on the bluey. Give Vish time to recover. Send Modry and Kuznetzov. Add Camillerri for a Goalie prospect. Belanger/plus for Lang. Wahhhlahhh. Pros/Cons? Any of these guys? All? Chemistry?

Old
02-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
That is good news. I would much rather have Gonchar than Lang or any other forward.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:41 PM
punchy1

I feel the reason Gonchar wouldn't work on the Kings is that he is a one demensional scoring defenceman. He is -22 and if you go ask on the Caps site where they love him, they will tell you that he isn't solid in his own end. I feel his numbers would go way down on our team and might end up in the Modry/Corvo area. I would pass on another scoring bluey unless he were an animal as well.

Ebell for Lang would be brilliant to me. I am losing faith in Ebell and have been for two seasons now. He has the skills no doubt, he is just too inconsistent with them for my tastes. Not only scoring either, he is a 50/50 player in his own end as well. If we could nab Lang for him or even send Ebell and a pick (3rd) to the caps for their first next year (very likely a top 8) and a mid level prospect might work. Throw in Kuz.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:55 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1

Ebell for Lang would be brilliant to me. I am losing faith in Ebell and have been for two seasons now. He has the skills no doubt, he is just too inconsistent with them for my tastes. Not only scoring either, he is a 50/50 player in his own end as well. If we could nab Lang for him or even send Ebell and a pick (3rd) to the caps for their first next year (very likely a top 8) and a mid level prospect might work. Throw in Kuz.
Doubt they will give up the high 1st pick. It'll certainly cost us more for Lang than just Belanger. The Caps are probably ripe for 2 for one stuff though.

Gonchar has one other guy on D with him that's a bona fide NHL D man, Witt. I would still believe Gonchar to be an upgrade to Modry. This years -22 is an aberation. I believe the year they went to the finals he was +26. He's a plus player most years.

Old
02-02-2004, 05:13 PM
punchy1

Good and true points. I would make a serious run at Witt and have him of the two if given the choice. Our team has a thing about balanced scoring from the blue line. Gonchar is *the* option on the caps. I feel that we have our scoring depth covered back there in Lubo,Corvo and Modry (although, I would trade Modry and give Grebeshkov and or Gleason the spot next year) and can still use a player like Witt back there to go along with Miller and Matty. Make our D

Miller/Matty/Witt/Lubo/Corvo/Grebeshkov/Gleason/ with Holland/Kuz/Muir/Norton/Rome/Petiot to call from and I would feel very happy with out balance back there. Maybe, one of the best in the game.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:06 PM
YadaYada

Living in the DC area, I have to suffer through more Caps games than I prefer, the Caps are awful(ly) thin on Defense, so any deal will probably require a D prospect (ready to play NHL minutes though) in return.

For Gonchar, you would need to offer up a young NHL roster player (D likely, maybe Modry but he's probably not enough.) plus pick/prospects (D likely Gleason plus 1st???). He hasn't been sharp this year, but he is an elite Dman and a change in scenery would probably be good for him. If Vish regains health, I probably wouldn't deal for him.

Witt has been a big disappointment this year, I believe he leads the league in minor penalties and too many of them are just stupid. He could be had for much less than Gonchar, but I would only look at this guy if Miller is gone for the year.

I disagree with some assessment on Lang - he is the real deal. Much more physical than his days with the Kings, you can't knock him off the puck and he scores a lot of garbage goals (meaning he pays the price to score). He also could be had for less than Gonchar because he is older and more expensive, but I don't see the Kings stepping up to his $5M per for the next three seasons.

Old
02-02-2004, 08:30 PM
kingbrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by YadaYada
Living in the DC area, I have to suffer through more Caps games than I prefer, the Caps are awful(ly) thin on Defense, so any deal will probably require a D prospect (ready to play NHL minutes though) in return.

For Gonchar, you would need to offer up a young NHL roster player (D likely, maybe Modry but he's probably not enough.) plus pick/prospects (D likely Gleason plus 1st???). He hasn't been sharp this year, but he is an elite Dman and a change in scenery would probably be good for him. If Vish regains health, I probably wouldn't deal for him.

Witt has been a big disappointment this year, I believe he leads the league in minor penalties and too many of them are just stupid. He could be had for much less than Gonchar, but I would only look at this guy if Miller is gone for the year.

I disagree with some assessment on Lang - he is the real deal. Much more physical than his days with the Kings, you can't knock him off the puck and he scores a lot of garbage goals (meaning he pays the price to score). He also could be had for less than Gonchar because he is older and more expensive, but I don't see the Kings stepping up to his $5M per for the next three seasons.

I agree with you on Lang and would love to see him in a Kings Jersey,however...I think at this point I would rather have a hard nosed defensemen! Gauthier would be nice ,but will not happen

Old
02-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Frolov

A deal for Gonchar would have to send Grebeshkov or Gleason along with another top prospect and our 1st round draft pick.

Is it worth it? I mean I'd love to see Gonchar in a Kings uniform but the cost of getting him and keeping him is too much IMO.

Doesn't his contract run out this year? He'll be looking to make over $7 million a year. Would he want to stay with the Kings? Would the Kings give him that kind of money?

I think DT should ask about him but I feel we're better off trading for a lower caliber defenseman right now.

Closed Thread