HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Foote Traded!

Old
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtg View Post
This thread contains toxic levels of ignorance, low levels of class. You don't boo a former player, especially a captain and one of Foote's calibre as player and person, for demanding an appropriate contract.
Nice second post. I agree with it entirely.

Where you been all season?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
thomascal377

well im happy with this trade

sure we gave up a first, but weve accumulated a bit extra draft picks in recent years, we
have a lot of good prospects, and our callups have been real impressive during this injury-filled season

thomascal377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:27 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

For Sh*ts and Giggles...

Friday, October 12, 2007 3:36 AM
By Michael Arace

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live...1_E985MRG.html

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

On June 27, at a charity golf tournament in Colorado, Blue Jackets captain Adam Foote was asked whether he would ever entertain the possibility of returning to the Avalanche. The answer, on camera, went like this:

"Right now, that's a tough question, just because I'm so dedicated right now and focused with Columbus. Yeah, I mean, I'd be lying to you, and I think you are all aware that we love Colorado and we wish we never left, but we did, it's unfortunate, it's a business -- and one day, you never know ..."

The report was the subject of a blog entry by Denver Post hockey writer Adrian Dater. The headline went like this: Foote regrets being a Blue Jacket, and other constabulary notes. Full disclosure: Dater is a friend and valued colleague of mine. Also, I had to look up "constabulary."

Dater interpreted Foote's words like this: "Lord Almighty, if there's a way I can possibly convince someone to get me out of this purgatory, I promise I'll never ask for another thing, ever again. Please, please, Stan Kroenke, get me out of here."

After the Blue Jackets beat Phoenix on Wednesday in Nationwide Arena, Foote was asked about what he said.

This was Foote's response: "My kids were born there, my wife loved it there, I loved it there, we won there. That's the truth. I left a beautiful spot. You're damn right I miss 305 sunny days a year. But what no one has talked about is the things I said about being dedicated to my job and trying to help this team get better -- and winning. Here. That's important to me."

The Blue Jackets play Saturday in Denver, where there is an unshakable feeling among Avalanche fans that Foote made a pact with the devil when, coming out of the lockout, he signed a three-year contract worth $13.8 million. Foote had to take the money because it was his last best shot. He left behind 305 sunny days and eight division titles for seven-game losing streaks amid the unrelenting gray of Ohio winter.

There is another wrinkle to the story, the notion that Foote was sold a bill of goods, and when he got here in 2005, the bill changed. Foote won't speak directly on the subject -- "I don't want to be disrespectful," he said -- but he does talk around it.

"When I came here and (Tyler) Wright left, (Geoff) Sanderson left, (Scott) Lachance left, (Luke) Richardson was on his way out, and there were a couple of other guys on the way out, I felt like, 'Oh, God, there's the guts,' " Foote said. "OK, there it is, eight transitions. That's like, whoa."

He also said, "There were times when I wasn't sure what I was going to do next."

One of his former teammates, a close friend he won't name, urged him to demand a trade.

"I just felt that if I did, everything I was saying would mean nothing," Foote said. "That's just not me."

His father told him: "Don't jump ship. Just don't jump ship. That's not the way we do it."

His wife told him, "You just have to get on top again."

The Blue Jackets are in the process of defining a core group of players. This situation is not kind to well-compensated veterans. Amid the madness of past seasons, Foote's impact as a leader was questioned. He heard that he had lost a step and could not keep up with the post-lockout pace of the game. He heard that as soon as the next trade deadline came around, he would be dumped.

"I'm offended by the very idea," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "He is a good player and a great persona, and his persona is what's driving the bus right now."

If there is an indication of how the Foote story will end in Columbus, it might be found in the glow that he is exuding these days. The man is shimmering. Two unusually long summers of conditioning and contemplation have revived his body and spirit. Three head-bashing games and two victories have put a smile on his face.

"Everyone's focused on their job," Foote said. "We're well-prepared. It seems like a good, professional feeling right now. This 2-1 start is huge for our organization, it's huge for our fans and it's huge for me."

As Foote looks ahead, he sees a team he recognizes, a group that is figuring out how to win. He is one of the leaders. He is setting an example as a man should, true to his word and dedicated to his team. Oh, he misses the Denver sunshine. Maybe he'll get back there in May.

Michael Arace is a sports reporter for The Dispatch.

------------------
Was Footer UPSET that the team wasn't a buyer?
Apparently so....

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:34 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

That "bill of goods" came with a $13.5 million payout to Foote. Poor guy. What a victim.

There were 17 or so teams bidding on him if I recall, several (all??) of which I'm sure were in better positions organization-wise than the CBJ.
He opted for the highest bidder. If he's looking for someone to blame, he can look at the benjamins in his wallet. F-that.

And for all his talk -- he STILL jumped ship.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
That "bill of goods" came with a $13.5 million payout to Foote. Poor guy. What a victim.

There were 17 or so teams bidding on him if I recall, several (all??) of which I'm sure were in better positions organization-wise than the CBJ.
He opted for the highest bidder. If he's looking for someone to blame, he can look at the benjamins in his wallet. F-that.

And for all his talk -- he STILL jumped ship.
Well said.

02-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
This thread contains toxic levels of ignorance, low levels of class. You don't boo a former player, especially a captain and one of Foote's calibre as player and person, for demanding an appropriate contract.
If in fact he signs for less than the $3.5M that was offered by Columbus how would you explain the "appropriate contract" part? Seems to me the appropriate contract is one that involved "Avalanche" on the header. He did not leave as the leader he was portrayed to be.

By the way, booing is covered in the constitution as a freedom of speech. I'm not a big fan and think the booing should be turned into cheers for the home team but I, for one, could care less if people boo him. He hasn't earned anything in Columbus.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:57 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
for demanding an appropriate contract.
You gotta be kidding me that he deserves $4million per year.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Portzy finally weighs in. Was wondering what took him so long for his blog entry.

A small portion, and the link.

Quote:
I'll say this: I think Foote wanted to go back to Colorado from the very start. I think he set his contract demands at a level he knew the Blue Jackets wouldn't reach because he wanted to go back to Denver. It's not that he wanted out of Columbus -- not necessarily -- but he just wanted to go home. Just go, already. Why put up the contract facade? Pack your bags, ask to be traded and get out. That's my take.
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Renion

Foote didn't owe any loyalty to this organization. He hasn't exactly had the time of his life in Columbus. It became pretty clear to him what type of organization he was working for early after his signing, and he obviously had little respect for MacLean's administration as a whole. Howson being hired created a new era in Jackets hockey, but Foote didn't owe anything to him.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Foote didn't owe any loyalty to this organization. He hasn't exactly had the time of his life in Columbus. It became pretty clear to him what type of organization he was working for early after his signing, and he obviously had little respect for MacLean's administration as a whole. Howson being hired created a new era in Jackets hockey, but Foote didn't owe anything to him.
I agree with that. At the end of this day, this is a business.

But I don't think Foote (or his fans) can have it both ways. You can't be the revered captain and leader and then play hardball on a reasonable contract and force a trade, all the while proclaiming you want to stay in town and finish what you started.

Rings pretty disingenuous to me.

Old
02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I agree with that. At the end of this day, this is a business.

But I don't think Foote (or his fans) can have it both ways. You can't be the revered captain and leader and then play hardball on a reasonable contract and force a trade, all the while proclaiming you want to stay in town and finish what you started.

Rings pretty disingenuous to me.
I'm a fan of reason, not Foote, to be honest. I liked him well enough, but that's it.

I'm still pretty sure he would have gotten the money he wanted if we had gotten Richards. Howson saw getting Richards as us being buyers, and thus, playoff contenders: would he have then shot the team in the foot (no pun intended) by not signing Foote, the clear leader in the dressing room and a major cog in the chemistry machine, over 500k a year? I doubt it, which means I don't buy the argument that he was pricing himself out of our range because he knew we wouldn't pay it.

Old
02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I'm a fan of reason, not Foote, to be honest. I liked him well enough, but that's it.

I'm still pretty sure he would have gotten the money he wanted if we had gotten Richards. Howson saw getting Richards as us being buyers, and thus, playoff contenders: would he have then shot the team in the foot (no pun intended) by not signing Foote, the clear leader in the dressing room and a major cog in the chemistry machine, over 500k a year? I doubt it, which means I don't buy the argument that he was pricing himself out of our range because he knew we wouldn't pay it.
Actually, I've never been a full-blown Foote hater. Haven't cared much for him in the last day or so, but other than that he was okay in my book. I even endorsed resigning him.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think that's the only interpretation to the situation. Richards was about more than the stretch run this year. Richards was about that plus the next three years. At the money he was on books for, if anything, I think that strengthens the case for being firm on the budget. So I'm not convinced Foote would've got his desired payday had Richards been acquired.
And if anyone thinks Foote looks bad now, imagine how he'd look if he walked away from the CBJ offer after the CBJ got Richards, so he would've faced pressure too.

Of course, we'll never know how Howson or Foote would've reacted in the situation since it never got that point.

In fairness to both sides, when it comes down to it, and I think others said this, it seems neither side was ultimately THAT interested in the other. They both had a limit, dug in and didn't budge.
Probably for the best they went their separate ways.

Old
02-27-2008, 09:15 PM
GOCBJ61

believe it if you want, but i have reliable info on what went down during the trade....foote was offerred 3.5 x 2 years. he stated that was not enough..cbj stated we can't go any higher..foote states i want to be traded. tells cbj if he's not traded, he'll play out the year, but won't play hard. cbj immediately says, move him...
i say later dude....

GOCBJ61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:38 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

For anybody that listening to the first segment of the "Midday Show" on the 1460 the SHAM today, Torgy absolutely ripped Foote for his lack of class holding the team hostage for a salary that was beyond him.

Torg said Howson's offer of 3.5 a season was about 2 mil more than what Foote is worth...

He totally unloaded and everything that came out of his mouth was dead on... if anybody doesn't think this guy is a hockey guy, you need to go into the fans archives and listen to the first ten minutes of the midday show today.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:40 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjsec114 View Post
believe it if you want, but i have reliable info on what went down during the trade....foote was offerred 3.5 x 2 years. he stated that was not enough..cbj stated we can't go any higher..foote states i want to be traded. tells cbj if he's not traded, he'll play out the year, but won't play hard. cbj immediately says, move him...
i say later dude....
good riddance...

Old
02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Pluckfur

Foote may be a revered player in Colorado ... but not here. He was unspectacular and unremarkable in all things he ever did here, including leadership. This move was clearly in the making since the Foote/Howson contract "negotiations" started.

Most of the posters here on HF were demanding that Foote not be brought back and stopped vocalizing that desire ONLY when it seemed to be that Howson really wanted to re sign him. Obviously, Howson was playing the game right - 500K is no (none, zip, zilch) reason not to re sign your Captain if you want to re sign him. Clearly, we didn't want to re sign Foote and so as far as the pick return -- booya Howie.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 10:02 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Foote may be a revered player in Colorado ... but not here. He was unspectacular and unremarkable in all things he ever did here, including leadership. This move was clearly in the making since the Foote/Howson contract "negotiations" started.

Most of the posters here on HF were demanding that Foote not be brought back and stopped vocalizing that desire ONLY when it seemed to be that Howson really wanted to re sign him. Obviously, Howson was playing the game right - 500K is no (none, zip, zilch) reason not to re sign your Captain if you want to re sign him. Clearly, we didn't want to re sign Foote and so as far as the pick return -- booya Howie.
Replace the Name Foote and Howson in the first paragraph with Richardson and MacLean.... Very similar.

Old
02-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

I wonder if there is a stat for "Pucks knocked into own net." Or "Negative goals." Something along those lines.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
AlienLanes82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjsec114 View Post
i say later dude....
I don't like Foote and never have, but it would be a surprise to me if he actually said he would tank the rest of the year. That's an ugly story if true.

AlienLanes82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienLanes82 View Post
I don't like Foote and never have, but it would be a surprise to me if he actually said he would tank the rest of the year. That's an ugly story if true.
He probably didn't use those words, but he was quoted in the Dispatch saying, "it would be hard to play not knowing where I'll be this summer".

Uhhh... isn't that what he's doing in Colorado right now?

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
He probably didn't use those words, but he was quoted in the Dispatch saying, "it would be hard to play not knowing where I'll be this summer".

Uhhh... isn't that what he's doing in Colorado right now?
Its ok if he's in Colorado when thats happening... He's home remember??

Old
02-28-2008, 09:51 AM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
You folks are still the most confused and confusing fanbase around. 90% of the posters here claim to despise Foote, citing his poor play and lack of leadership and wanted nothing to do with resigning him yet you are whining and sniveling because he did not resign with the BJ's.

I don't get it!

You even go so far as to invent scenarios where Foote claims he will deliberately tank on your team if he is not traded.

I realize hockey is an emotional game and sometimes we say things that are emo based in the heat of an argument but this stuff is really getting silly.

bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Imjustabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bling View Post
You folks are still the most confused and confusing fanbase around. 90% of the posters here claim to despise Foote, citing his poor play and lack of leadership and wanted nothing to do with resigning him yet you are whining and sniveling because he did not resign with the BJ's.

I don't get it!

You even go so far as to invent scenarios where Foote claims he will deliberately tank on your team if he is not traded.

I realize hockey is an emotional game and sometimes we say things that are emo based in the heat of an argument but this stuff is really getting silly.
You're right; how dare we criticize Adam Foote. After all, he's God's Gift To Hockey, is he not?

Last edited by Imjustabill: 02-28-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Renion

Quote:

I don't get it!

Much as I agree with you, your outsider status will just cause the wagons to circle.

Old
02-28-2008, 10:10 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

I don't get it!

I hear the whole reason you guys got Foote back was actually a communication problem with Forsberg. Peter was trying to tell Giguere that he was ready to play, the only problem was that he was missing a foot. But it was a bad cell phone connection and Giguere heard "I'm missing Adam Foote." The rest is history.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote