HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Extra picks in 08 and 09 is very good

Old
02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Extra picks in 08 and 09 is very good

The next few drafts are supposed to be really good. I am glad we are adding a bunch of picks to it. i would have preferred a pick for feds and picks for vyborney and even peca. you can then use those picks and package them to move up in rounds and get some really good players (Howon's first draft appears to have been very good). or use those pics to trade to someone for something we need. those picks will be in more demand then most years.

this is the way i was hoping we were going to go from the beginning. people act like we are in 5th place and need one guy to turn us into cup contenders. we are 5 points out and have played more games than most teams. so its even worse than 5 out. we werent making the playoffs anyway.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
The next few drafts are supposed to be really good. I am glad we are adding a bunch of picks to it. i would have preferred a pick for feds and picks for vyborney and even peca. you can then use those picks and package them to move up in rounds and get some really good players (Howon's first draft appears to have been very good). or use those pics to trade to someone for something we need. those picks will be in more demand then most years.

this is the way i was hoping we were going to go from the beginning. people act like we are in 5th place and need one guy to turn us into cup contenders. we are 5 points out and have played more games than most teams. so its even worse than 5 out. we werent making the playoffs anyway.
Remember those words. Good post.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Skraut

There are also teams who gave up first rounders, who on Draft day look at the potential players that could be drafted, and try and buy back in.

That may be a way to get a center.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Handyy

Only problem in my opinion is, that we need players now more than 2010 ->

What is next year going to look like? Example which top center wants to make a deal to play for a team missing pretty much everything but the first line?

I don't really believe that we can get a trade for a top center or whatever with those extra picks.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
RDriesenUD

im gonna have to do some more digging to see which draft is truely deeper. both are supposed to be deep and good. lets hope, if its 08, the aves get the lowest pick of the playoff teams .

i think what is so underated on here is that we just dont have the assets people think. and its do to bad drafting. we have some good guys, but we dont have enough that we can afford to lose them. or enough of a good young core on the big club that we can move them.

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 02-26-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old
02-26-2008, 03:45 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Only problem in my opinion is, that we need players now more than 2010 ->

What is next year going to look like? Example which top center wants to make a deal to play for a team missing pretty much everything but the first line?

I don't really believe that we can get a trade for a top center or whatever with those extra picks.
missing everything? i understand that some are not in the best moods, but we arent that bad off. granted, we need some growth from a few young guys, but we arent missing everything. we are missing a few studs, 1 on d and 1 at center. but not everything.

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 02-26-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old
02-26-2008, 03:51 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Another thought - this seems like the place to voice it...

More picks gives you more flexibility (and maybe the cajones) to look at signing an RFA. Howson is a Kevin Lowe disciple...

Maybe not the best way to make friends but it is legal.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
2009 is a better draft, but those picks won't help us until at least 2011.
Not sure if the majority of the fanbase can wait that long.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Typically I vehemently disagree with you RD... but now you make sense.

No, you make a LOT of sense

Someone make this man a MOD!

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

ALL BE O.K. , WE MUST BELIEVE OUR PLAYERS.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Handyy

Quote:
missing everything? i understand that some are not in the best moods, but we arent that bad off. granted, we need some growth from a few young guys, but we arent missing everything. we are missing a few studs, 1 on and 1 at center. but not everything.
Looking next season with the current projected rosters against other teams. Where in your opinion we are in comparison?

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Wisnutsen21

hopefully the aves barely miss the playoffs this year and next year they completely tank and we end up with tavares!

Wisnutsen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 07:58 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
2009 is a better draft, but those picks won't help us until at least 2011.
Not sure if the majority of the fanbase can wait that long.
i know thats something that has to be worried about. the fan base is what drives the team. but, as a gm, you have to worry about (IMO) doing whats best to make your team a winner year after year. this team just wasnt there. if it werent for Pazzy, we might be in last place with the roster we have. i know that hurts to some, but we arent that talented.

also is 09 deeper, or just better cause of Tavarez, and maybe a few others. cause odds are, the pick wont be a lottery pick. i dont want to think of packaging to get up, cause i dont think the team picking first will want to move out of it .

Old
02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Take it from me in the WHL area. The 2009 draft will be one to remember - just based off of the WHLers due up in that year, there are more franchise players available in '09 from our league alone than I see in 2008.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
i know thats something that has to be worried about. the fan base is what drives the team. but, as a gm, you have to worry about (IMO) doing whats best to make your team a winner year after year. this team just wasnt there. if it werent for Pazzy, we might be in last place with the roster we have. i know that hurts to some, but we arent that talented.

also is 09 deeper, or just better cause of Tavarez, and maybe a few others. cause odds are, the pick wont be a lottery pick. i dont want to think of packaging to get up, cause i dont think the team picking first will want to move out of it .
What gave it away, the fewest GF in the league?

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:03 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Looking next season with the current projected rosters against other teams. Where in your opinion we are in comparison?
i think dmen 3-6 we are good and have a lot of depth. we arent hurting for a no. 2 dman. where we hurt is a no. 1 dman.

i truely believe voracek and brassard should be on top 2 lines. we are one of, if not the only, teams who refuses to play skilled young players on skilled lines. to me, we are good at the wings. we have good 3-4 centers. we dont have a no. 1 or no. 2 center

i think we are good in goal (i dont think anyone can debate this one ).

so that leaves us 3 players short, imo. while you can always upgrade at other positions as well, we are good there. but what the problem is, we are hurting at 3 positions that are very important to be a CONSISTANT scoring team. we have the money to get those solved but not the assets. somehow, we have to find a way to get at least 2 solved.

Old
02-26-2008, 08:05 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Take it from me in the WHL area. The 2009 draft will be one to remember - just based off of the WHLers due up in that year, there are more franchise players available in '09 from our league alone than I see in 2008.
Thanks. Can you post a few names for me to start looking at and keeping my eye on.

Old
02-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Lainey

I agree. These picks are useful in two ways.

1) We can trade them for players we need... like a #1 center... like Richards, whom Dallas may want to move when they're pushing the cap hard. Probably not gonna happen, but somebody might be in a similar situation.

2) We could use the picks. 1st rounders are more likely to become badasses than later rounders.

Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
09 class is going to be sick, like 03. I hope the Avs don't make the playoffs and we get their pick then.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:40 PM
BluejacketNut

The problem with the F/F trade, is it was subtractions to 2 KEY positions. We didnt get anything back to fill those holes. So if we thought there was a lot of holes to fill going into THIS season, we just got 2 more holes to fill by not getting anything for F/F

Relying on Brassard and Voracek to be on your 2nd line next year, means playoffs in 2012

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:44 PM
DougKnowsBest

here i thought we where done living for the draft.

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

So what do we actually have now in terms of picks for '08 (assuming COL makes the playoffs)?

Two 1sts, one 2nd-6th?

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
So what do we actually have now in terms of picks for '08 (assuming COL makes the playoffs)?

Two 1sts, one 2nd-6th?
Not updated as of todays trades but a good link to bookmark.....

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/transa...t-pick-tracker

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Thanks. Can you post a few names for me to start looking at and keeping my eye on.
From the 'dub:

Jared Cowen (duh)
Jimmy Bubnick
Ryan Howse
Landon Ferraro (Ray's son)
Cole Penner (slow start due to injury, but has the skill)
Stefan Elliot
Tysen Barrie
Evander Kane
Brayden Schenn

Just to name a few...

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 12:49 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
The problem with the F/F trade, is it was subtractions to 2 KEY positions. We didnt get anything back to fill those holes. So if we thought there was a lot of holes to fill going into THIS season, we just got 2 more holes to fill by not getting anything for F/F

Relying on Brassard and Voracek to be on your 2nd line next year, means playoffs in 2012
It isn`t maybe good idea, because Brass and Voracek are both playmakers. I think Voracek would play in the line with Brule.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote