2 GP, 3GS, 2 W's -- I've got it....

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 09:53 PM
hubofhockey

vCash: 500
2 GP, 3GS, 2 W's -- I've got it....

...it's soccer!

Honestly, LF'ers, can anyone reasonably expect that this Bruins team, which can barely score while either on the PP or at ES, can do much come April? How long can a team live on PK and goaltending?

Or, how long can fans keep watching a team that lives on PK and goaltending?

The season is now roughly 2/3's finished, and no one in the lineup yet has stepped up into a leadership position, other than Raycroft. Not to diminish Raycroft's skills. Without him and those skills, they'd be dead meat right now. But even with Brodeur's skills, would the Devs have won without Stevens? Someone's got to step up and say, `I'm the guy, follow me.' And by definition, I say it can't be the 'tender.

So, who?
And more important, when?

Probably unfair to make that soccer comparsion. Soccer is way more exciting that what we've seen thus far.

kpd/hoh

Old
01-31-2004, 09:56 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey
...it's soccer!

Honestly, LF'ers, can anyone reasonably expect that this Bruins team, which can barely score while either on the PP or at ES, can do much come April? How long can a team live on PK and goaltending?

The season is now roughly 2/3's finished, and no one in the lineup yet has stepped up into a leadership position, other than Raycroft. Not to diminish Raycroft's skills. Without him and those skills, they'd be dead meat right now. But even with Brodeur's skills, would the Devs have won without Stevens? Someone's got to step up and say, `I'm the guy, follow me.' And by definition, I say it can't be the 'tender.

So, who?

Probably unfair to make that soccer comparsion. Soccer is way more exciting that what we've seen thus far.

kpd/hoh
This game was all Raycroft and a bit of lady luck inbetween. All I can say is, hopefully Raycroft stays healthy the rest of the season, because without him, this team wouldn't be in the race for the play offs.

Old
01-31-2004, 09:58 PM
number IV

It got the Ducks to the finals last year. A hot goalie can sure cover
other weaknesses. That said I doubt if we do it but you never know.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:00 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
...it's soccer!

So, who?

kpd/hoh
It won't happen this season. Hopefully, whoever's in charge this summer when the CBA shakes out will be able to pick up a second line center, a true #1 defenseman and players that demostrate leadership and character.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:02 PM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
...it's soccer!

kpd/hoh
I understand your point, I've a lot of hope Boynton can be that guy in the futur . i remember 2 year ago he was tremendous agains Montreal even if we lost.

We really need someone who like Iafrate in begin of the 90' lift up his leadership on and off the ice at blueline. Boynton can be that guy.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:22 PM
supernova

Special teams & defence? Are those not the same two things that are about to bring your beloved Pats their 2nd Super bowl?

As far as who will be the one to " Bring it ", it has to be Thornton doesn't it? Along with the 2nd line scorer OC knew he had to get since last year.

If I had a dollar for every time Joe turns away from a check, I'd quit my job. Now's probably not the best time to ask for more, since his cheekbone is caved in, but he was floating long before that. He's the captain of a team that almost always starts slow, has been called soft, and has a 20 something with all the talent in the world who is simply not scoring & hitting enough.

Is it asking too much of Joe to go out on his 1st shift and take a run at someone? If he doesn't want to hit Quintal then we better call Keenan and give him a cattle prod.

The PP has plenty of time to heal, and OC has plenty of time to get some back up for Joe. That being said, if Sully can't even get Joe to finish his checks, then yes, they are in trouble.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Eat It

The only player I've seen really play above himself in an effort to claim the leadership of this team has been Hal Gill. He's been sticking his nose in every scrum, laying some great checks, dropping the gloves and doing it all without being caught out of position as often as his defensive teammates. He seems to be one of the most consistant players on the team and has "brought it" night in and night out. The only thing he is lacking is the ability to spark the team on the offensive side. However Stevens has lost his offensive game and is still the unquestioned rock of the Devils. Gill has the longest tenure on our blue line and seems to hold a little more pride in the spoked B on his chest. I don't know if Gill will ever have the skills needed to be THE guy but judging by his play this year he seems to be one of the few willing to take on all the responsibilities of leadership.

It is too easy to look for a trade or a UFA pick up to solve our problems. #1 Defensmen don't grow on trees and do not come cheaply. I doubt we will fish one out of another team in this league in the foreseeable future.

Old
01-31-2004, 10:46 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I agree with Gill...I would have dealt him for a bag of hockey pucks in the summer, but as of right now it seems that he really "gets it"...It takes some longer than others....
Boynton WILL be the man in the future..Another guy WOULD be Jillson, but for some reason he continues to ride the pines....Where exactly do OD and McGillis fit into our "future"? Jillson should be developing and not sitting on the pines...

As for watching this team, I can't believe hockey has gotten to this....I'll continue to watch, but yes, it is soccer.....Other teams are still able to score some in this league, but we seem totally starved....

Seems like we are morphing into our coach.....Defense first, second and third....then maybe try to put some pucks in the net....

Old
01-31-2004, 11:01 PM
OV

Quote:
...it's soccer!

So, who?

kpd/hoh
Watching the game the other night against the Islanders, I was thinking to myself ('cause no one else will listen to me anyways) that this edition of my beloved bRUINS really lacks passion. They have lots of skill, lots of speed and lots of size, but don't ever use it all consistently. I get the sense in watching them play that they're playing to not lose, rather than playing to win.

KPD is right....April is going to be short month for them if they and/or management don't find a way to bring some passion into their game.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:04 PM
OV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
I agree with Gill...I would have dealt him for a bag of hockey pucks in the summer, but as of right now it seems that he really "gets it"...It takes some longer than others....
Boynton WILL be the man in the future..Another guy WOULD be Jillson, but for some reason he continues to ride the pines....Where exactly do OD and McGillis fit into our "future"? Jillson should be developing and not sitting on the pines...

As for watching this team, I can't believe hockey has gotten to this....I'll continue to watch, but yes, it is soccer.....Other teams are still able to score some in this league, but we seem totally starved....

Seems like we are morphing into our coach.....Defense first, second and third....then maybe try to put some pucks in the net....
Jillson rides the pines because the coach would rather have him watching the game from the fan's side of the boards instead of being out on the ice and watching the game. That way your team's goals against stays lower!

The next step is to start charging Jillson admission to the games.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:07 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV
Watching the game the other night against the Islanders, I was thinking to myself ('cause no one else will listen to me anyways) that this edition of my beloved bRUINS really lacks passion. They have lots of skill, lots of speed and lots of size, but don't ever use it all consistently. I get the sense in watching them play that they're playing to not lose, rather than playing to win.

KPD is right....April is going to be short month for them if they and/or management don't find a way to bring some passion into their game.

OV, wouldn't you agree, that the same could be said for last season? We supposedly have a "different" team this year, so I've heard other reporters say (Nancy Marrapese one of them). So, is it our core guys to blame for this lack of passion?

Old
01-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

Don't mess with soccer or us europeans will get mad

Speaking of soccer and low scoring, the latest time my team won the swedish championship, in 1998, we managed to do it scoring less then a goal a game, we scored 25 goals in 26 games. Don't really know what my point is other than it's fun to win.

As long as we win I'm happy. Still it's not that fun getting outshot by a bunch of smurfs.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:09 PM
OV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian
OV, wouldn't you agree, that the same could be said for last season? We supposedly have a "different" team this year, so I've heard other reporters say (Nancy Marrapese one of them). So, is it our core guys to blame for this lack of passion?
Make that the last 3 or 4 seasons..... : )

Old
01-31-2004, 11:11 PM
supernova

I like Gill's interviews as well. He doesn't beat around the bush and spew out all the cliches 99% of the others use. He was even using the word Kill in the last column I read, which is somewhat unusual for a hockey player.

Plus, he's finding lost children at churches and taking the time to go visit guys like Girard.

He tried his best to take Lindros off Joe's hands, and has tried his best against Souray & Chara which is no easy task if you can't really fight in the 1st place. One thing I did like about the Chara fight; although he looked bad and took his licks, he came back out before the period was over. He very easily could of sat and pouted till intermission, but he didn't.

I'd go so far and say he'd make a good captain if he was able to be more involved offensively. OK maybe that's a stretch but after all I'm a Gill guy.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:11 PM
OV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian
Oh....and stop butterin' up KPD or we're gonna have to use a crowbar to get his cranium throught the doorway! : )

Old
01-31-2004, 11:29 PM
Gator Mike

If anyone is keeping track, last season the Revolution averaged 1.83 goals per game, while the Bruins are averaging 1.60 goals per game in their last five.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:51 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike
If anyone is keeping track, last season the Revolution averaged 1.83 goals per game, while the Bruins are averaging 1.60 goals per game in their last five.
<BR>

We obviously lack passion and heart, and we haven't had team-wide toughness for years, but does having goaltending outweigh those ingredients in importance?

I tend to think not, but not sure if we should assume another first round wipeout when we've been beating decent teams consistently all year. If we lack passion, what does that say about the opposition that we've been beating?

Old
01-31-2004, 11:55 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
I agree with Lady Rhian & OV. This year's team is last year's team with a few changes. They have no heart and play without passion or toughness. And those are the worst things I can say about any Bruins team.

Old
02-01-2004, 12:09 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
This is the same offense as last year with the additions of
Samsanov, Bergeron, and Green. Plus the 4th line is better
than last year.

So whats the problem?
I know scoring is down league wide, but the B's have an
big problem here.

Old
02-01-2004, 12:14 AM
hubofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV
Oh....and stop butterin' up KPD or we're gonna have to use a crowbar to get his cranium throught the doorway! : )
OV -- You will be glad to know, I JUST squeezed through the Arch in St. Louis--had to wiggle a bit, but made it--on my way here to Houston. Slight rub burn 'round the ears.

ps -- Hope you enjoyed the truck for Xmas.

kpd/hoh

Old
02-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV

Now that is just crazy, OV. Everyone knows I only read the Herald.

Seriously, though, the last two years have been for me, tough to watch. We have so many skilled players, who don't bring their best game every night. We have guys that are tough, but don't play that way every night, or are healthy scratched or shipped off to Tin Buck Two (too, to, Too Too whichever it is). Soft forwards, soft coaches, mediocre games most nights, even when they're winning.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:16 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

That's Timbuktu Lady Rhian
And believe me I share your pain about our hockey team.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC
That's Timbuktu Lady Rhian
And believe me I share your pain about our hockey team.
Thankyou, BMC. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to spell it. Been watching way too much hockey today (since this morning, starting with my daughter's back to back games).

I don't expect much changes by the trade deadline, probably none. I see another first round exit just around the corner.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:40 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

I have serious doubts about making the playoffs at all.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC
I have serious doubts about making the playoffs at all.
Scary is that the Bruins had only 2 shots in the third period, 16 total. Canadians had 34 shots, lucky for the Bruins Raycroft was outstanding with a little bit of help from the goal posts a couple of times.

Closed Thread