HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Inline Skate Designs - Wheel Concerns

Old
02-02-2008, 01:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
New Inline Skate Designs - Wheel Concerns

I've had my CCM452 Tacks for 10 years now and it's finally time to replace them... I'm going to go expensive with a new pair of skates because they'll likely last me another 10 years... Now my CCM452 Tacks have a hi-lo system where the back 2 wheels are 80 MM and the front 2 are 72MM... I ONLY play outdoors.... This makes rotating the wheels very easy... I swap wheels 1 and 2 with each other and wheels 3 and 4 with each other, each time I have to rotate my wheels....

Now anyone who plays inline hockey regularly knows that the wheels do NOT wear evenly on the boot.... Wheels 1 and 4 are more prone to wear due to their position on the boot and various skating actions you make throughout the course of play...

From what I see on all current CCM & RBK skates, these skates employ 3 different wheel sizes in their boot design.... This perplexes me as I can't figure out how you would rotate your wheels after wear to match the original design of the wheel layout....

Wheels:

1 - 72MM
2 - 76MM
3 - 76MM
4 - 80MM

I know wheel 1 is going to wear down faster than wheels 2-3 and that wheel 4 will endure more wear than wheel 2-3 so I can't for the life of me figure out how to appropriately rotate the wheels correctly....

HELP! From looking at the pictures, there appears to be enough clearance between the chassis and boot to just replace the factory wheels with 2 80MM wheels in positions 3+4 and 2 72MM wheels in positions 1+2....

RBK 8K PUMP

Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-02-2008 at 02:03 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
FiveHole23

I just got the RBK 7ks.

Which I think are very similar to those 8ks (except they are blue/black). They are Awesome.

I dont suggest the configuration you are suggesting the boot is designed for that configuration and I think the one you are suggesting (1-72, 2-72, 3-80, 4-80) is to far off from what it was designed for.

Im not sure how much you play, as I only play once a week, with no practices. But your best bet maybe just to soak up the cost in new wheels every once in awhile.

I do suggest those RBK, I love them. The pump is great.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
Get some missions with the hi-lo chassis. I've had mine for 2 years and they're super easy to change and rotate the wheels out.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:39 AM
penguinsfanatic

I agree with wildebeest I've only had missions and I have had nothing but good things to say about them. The only reason I think most companies switch from hi-lo to a different configuration is a conspiracy with wheel companies to get us to spend more on wheels....lol but really look into a pair of missions man they are great

penguinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
I just got the RBK 7ks.

Which I think are very similar to those 8ks (except they are blue/black). They are Awesome.

I dont suggest the configuration you are suggesting the boot is designed for that configuration and I think the one you are suggesting (1-72, 2-72, 3-80, 4-80) is to far off from what it was designed for.

Im not sure how much you play, as I only play once a week, with no practices. But your best bet maybe just to soak up the cost in new wheels every once in awhile.

I do suggest those RBK, I love them. The pump is great.
Hey man... How are you enjoying the skates and how would you describe the effect of the pump system on your skating experience?

Also. How fast my wheels wear down is not an issue... I need to know how to rotate them... I will probably rotate the same set of wheels maybe 3-4 times before I'm done with them..... There's no way I'm buying a new set of wheels each time they need to be rotated....

Upon further thought... I realize that you can't go 72/80MM on the skate because the chassis were designed for the 3 different sized wheels... The 2nd wheel might not even make good contact with the surface if it was changed to 72 MM and the 3rd was 80MM...

How do you plan on rotating your wheels the first time around?

Old
02-13-2008, 06:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinsfanatic View Post
I agree with wildebeest I've only had missions and I have had nothing but good things to say about them. The only reason I think most companies switch from hi-lo to a different configuration is a conspiracy with wheel companies to get us to spend more on wheels....lol but really look into a pair of missions man they are great
I heard that one of the companies had a copywrite on the hi-lo chassis design/implementation...

Old
02-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Mixtures89

I personally have worn Tours for about 8 years now and can't see myself wearing anything else. Always comfortable the first time wearing them I just can't get used to missions. I recently bought the Code Carbons for $400 and I couldn't be any happier. All size 80mm wheels which is different but I love it. I can imagine them being very very easy to rotate. I wouldn't recommend them so much for outdoor play unless the surface is similar to an indoor surface.

Mixtures89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 04:46 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

http://www.sprung-inline.com/
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=23334

ftw

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 05:23 AM
BladesOfTeal

Have you had success with the Sprung chassis? I got a few pairs of the prototypes a couple years ago, and it was intriguing, but they fell apart way too easily. The prototypes weren't durable enough, and I lost my Sprung contact after awhile, but I'm glad to see them out there.

BladesOfTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 04:22 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

I would never put a lot of money into prototypes either, but these frames have definitely progressed since they're pretty much 2nd gen now. Take a look at the Modsquadhockey thread.

I've accidently blocked shots with the A6 frame and they've stood up. It's taken something drastic like sliding feet first into the boards to damage the rockers -- and even then, those parts are easily user-replaceable because Sprung supplies them with your order.

It's great being able to go from roller to ice without losing that ice feeling.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:30 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I've had my CCM452 Tacks for 10 years now and it's finally time to replace them... I'm going to go expensive with a new pair of skates because they'll likely last me another 10 years... Now my CCM452 Tacks have a hi-lo system where the back 2 wheels are 80 MM and the front 2 are 72MM... I ONLY play outdoors.... This makes rotating the wheels very easy... I swap wheels 1 and 2 with each other and wheels 3 and 4 with each other, each time I have to rotate my wheels....

Now anyone who plays inline hockey regularly knows that the wheels do NOT wear evenly on the boot.... Wheels 1 and 4 are more prone to wear due to their position on the boot and various skating actions you make throughout the course of play...

From what I see on all current CCM & RBK skates, these skates employ 3 different wheel sizes in their boot design.... This perplexes me as I can't figure out how you would rotate your wheels after wear to match the original design of the wheel layout....

Wheels:

1 - 72MM
2 - 76MM
3 - 76MM
4 - 80MM

I know wheel 1 is going to wear down faster than wheels 2-3 and that wheel 4 will endure more wear than wheel 2-3 so I can't for the life of me figure out how to appropriately rotate the wheels correctly....

HELP! From looking at the pictures, there appears to be enough clearance between the chassis and boot to just replace the factory wheels with 2 80MM wheels in positions 3+4 and 2 72MM wheels in positions 1+2....

RBK 8K PUMP

I have the rbk 4k and 5k inlines. I understand your concern because it is valid. The skates themselves are the most comfortable I've ever had, and I will be sticking with the RBK line in the future provided they don't change the footbed. However I think the Tri-Di chasis does make the wheels wear out quicker. I play outdoor exclusively on rough asphault, and I use labeda asphault wheels on the 72 front and 80 back, and I use Labedda grippers on the two 76's in the middle. After 3 months of playing 2 or 3 times a week, I now have a situation where all 4 wheels do not touch the ground. Only 2 wheels touch the ground right now, either the front 2, the middle 2, or the back 2. I rotate the wheels after each game by simply flipping each wheel. I don't know of any other "proper" way to rotate the tri-di chasis. But with that said, the rbk skates are so comfortable, and I have a flat foot issue.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 12:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I'm going to try to call RBK's Customer Support line at work one of these days and see if I can actually speak with someone who knows about the product...

Old
02-19-2008, 11:34 AM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Hey man... How are you enjoying the skates and how would you describe the effect of the pump system on your skating experience?

Also. How fast my wheels wear down is not an issue... I need to know how to rotate them... I will probably rotate the same set of wheels maybe 3-4 times before I'm done with them..... There's no way I'm buying a new set of wheels each time they need to be rotated....

Upon further thought... I realize that you can't go 72/80MM on the skate because the chassis were designed for the 3 different sized wheels... The 2nd wheel might not even make good contact with the surface if it was changed to 72 MM and the 3rd was 80MM...

How do you plan on rotating your wheels the first time around?
Sorry it took so long to respond, I forgot about this post to be honest.

After playing without and then with pumps I dont think I could play without them now.

The area that the pump covers is massive. And it can be pumped to the point where it almost starts to hurt. At first I thought the pump was a gimmick but its makes it feel like the boot was made for your foot. Well worth the extra money.

And to the question of how do I plan on rotating them the first time around, I honestly have no clue. I havnt had them long enough to start thinking about it yet.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 10:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

So I called RBK and I get some Rep who says "Hold on my coworker here plays inline hockey" and he puts this guy on the phone and we discuss the wheel sizes and how there's no sure fire way to rotate the wheels... I press on about it and he says I should contact their Rep for Rink Rat wheels?

I got the guy's email and emailed him my questions about the skates but I don't really understand how that guy is better suited to address my questions....

Nonetheless... I really want to spring for a new pair of skates and am prepared to spend quite a bit, but I still can't get over this damn Tri-Di chassis design and No I'm not interested in TOUR skates or Missions...

Old
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
XX
It's finally over

Replace your stock wheels with more uniform sizes. Maybe in a ad hoc hi-lo setup.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:15 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Replace your stock wheels with more uniform sizes. Maybe in a ad hoc hi-lo setup.
I'm worried the wheel heights will be off because the chassis I'm sure were designed specifically for the 3 diff. wheels sizes...

Sigh... I really need a new pair of skates but still have reservations over this.... Theoretically, how would you guys recommend I rotate the wheels after wear? Just place the largest wheel in the 4th position, and then move one of the middle wheels up front in the 1st position? If I don't rotate that first wheel, it will wear down and need to be replaced before all the other wheels... Which isn't good...

I think what I may end up doing is keeping some extra worn wheels on hand and just eying everything each time I have to rotate the wheels....Trying to match up everything by size to replicate the original design of the skate... it's all you really can do I guess... There's no set way you can rotate wheels on these skates the way they are designed...

Old
02-29-2008, 12:22 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Also, this my last pair of skates lasted me 10 years, I'm thinking about spending an extra $70 and getting the 9K's

Quote:
# Rink Rat MB 816 76A XXX Grip micro hub wheels-The ultimate combination of grip and speed in the lightest design
# Easy to use single side locking axle system
# Micro 688 ABEC 7 bearings

These use micro-hub bearings... Which I'm not familiar with.... I'm assume that is specific to the wheel and not to the skate? Can i use the standard 608 bearings on these skates or will the axles not fit correctly?

Old
03-02-2008, 10:28 AM
07TBSSLINY

Quote:
Also, this my last pair of skates lasted me 10 years, I'm thinking about spending an extra $70 and getting the 9K's

These use micro-hub bearings... Which I'm not familiar with.... I'm assume that is specific to the wheel and not to the skate? Can i use the standard 608 bearings on these skates or will the axles not fit correctly?
There is no right way to rotate these wheels with that chassi. You can change the wheel size b/c the chassi is designed for the wheel size that are on it. The micro 688 bearings are just smaller you can use the 608 bearings but not with the micro hubs. Just make sure when you are buying wheels they have a 608 hub and not 688 hub.

07TBSSLINY is offline   Reply With Quote