HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa v Prospal

Old
02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
scottymac223

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
Hossa v Prospal

Hossa v Prospal
I am NOT saying that Vinny is better but take a look. Both are pending UFAs.

Hossa for RW Colby Armstrong, C Erik Christensen, C Angelo Esposito and a 1st rd pick.
G26 A30 Pts56 +/-minus 14

Prospal for minor-league defense prospect Alexandre Picard and a conditional 3rd or
2nd rd pick in the 2009 draft
G29 A28 Pts57 +/- minus 7

Both came from team that are not good. Both played top offensive minutes. Again not saying Prospal is better but the better move was the one Homer made.
ETR: I removed the part about defensive play because I was wrong

ETA: This to me means PIT MUST sign him. If not it's a terible, awful trade. Homer on the other hand made a trade that let's the Flyers watch Vinny walk and not cry about it.

Last edited by scottymac223: 02-26-2008 at 05:58 PM.
scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Hossa's not having his best year, Prospal's having a career year or close to it. We made the safer move long-term for sure, but we didn't get the better player.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I'm not too keen on Prospal, but I would have been ****ing pissed if the Flyers gave up a similar package for a player with Hossa's post-season history.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:02 PM
LePalle

Hossa just plain does more, and is better defensively...

and why are people saying Prospal's having a career year? Hes had some high scoring season...I believe he reached 80 once if memory serves...

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SarahCrash

yeah. agreed. Pittsburgh, IMO paid alot for Hossa, but, very few NHLers would fit a suitable bill to be Crosby's proper winger. He has made a 6 goal scorer into a 20 goal scorer, so a 35-40 goal scorer can probably be a consistent 50 goal man with Sid.

SarahCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BringBackStevens

I don't think either team is a likely cup team, so i'm glad we took the safer route.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
I'm not too keen on Prospal, but I would have been ****ing pissed if the Flyers gave up a similar package for a player with Hossa's post-season history.
Yeah, Bob Gainey was just saying they were being asked for a similar package. Three young roster players and a 1st rounder.

Old
02-26-2008, 05:09 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Yeah, Bob Gainey was just saying they were being asked for a similar package. Three young roster players and a 1st rounder.
Did Gainey mention whether or not the Huet trade had anything to do with him thinking he was going to get Hossa? I can't completely understand the Huet move, but I'd think maybe it was in part a way to clear some needed cap room for Hossa?? I may be off the mark here....I'm not really sure.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Did Gainey mention whether or not the Huet trade had anything to do with him thinking he was going to get Hossa? I can't completely understand the Huet move, but I'd think maybe it was in part a way to clear some needed cap room for Hossa?? I may be off the mark here....I'm not really sure.
All he said was he's confident in Price and Halak.

Old
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac223 View Post
Both came from team that are not good. Both played top offensive minutes. Neither are known for thier defensive play. Again not saying Prospal is better but the better move was the one Homer made.
Hossa is known as a good defensive player...

I think the Hossa deal is a horrible move by the Pens from a salary cap perspective... I don't see how they can keep him past this year without causing serious problems (Malkin gets paid after next season, Crosby kicks in next season).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
Quote:
i still want halak

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:13 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
I guess even if what I said is true, it's not like he's going to just come out and admit that he screwed up at all.

Old
02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I guess even if what I said is true, it's not like he's going to just come out and admit that he screwed up at all.
Yeah well he said he wasn't willing to pay the price, it wasn't worth it. I don't know how much he screwed up if that is the case (that Huet was moved for cap room), he's still got a couple of quality goaltenders there. Eventually one of them had to be moved to make room, now is as good a time as any.

Old
02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagne22 View Post

and why are people saying Prospal's having a career year? Hes had some high scoring season...I believe he reached 80 once if memory serves...
He did. Every other year is good with Prospal. He also has some attitude to him so we dont have to hear the idiots come on the board and ***** and moan that he isnt putting in an effort or hitting anyone

If we were to five a similar package to Atlanta(pretending they wouldnt have asked for Carter), it would probably have been:

Giroux/JVR + Upshall + Downie + 1st for Hossa and Poopy

Giroux/JVR = Esposito
Downie = Armstrong (obviously I think Downie will be the better player)
Upshall = Christensen (I would say Potulny, but he isnt playing in the NHL)

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
scottymac223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

I think the Hossa deal is a horrible move by the Pens from a salary cap perspective... I don't see how they can keep him past this year without causing serious problems (Malkin gets paid after next season, Crosby kicks in next season).
I guess my fingers got ahead of my brain. You and Storm set me straight.

Don't forget Pit also is going to have Staal in there too. And hasn't Hossa insisted all season he intends to see what the market will bear for his services?

Old
02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
McNasty

It was rumored that Hedberg would be potentially moving to Montreal as well, so I guess gainey preemptively moved Huet. IDK, as for Hossa meh. He ain't so great in the playoffs, and this is coming off a year where he isn't as much as an offensive force, even though he was the best player available.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:20 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:

Agreed. I'm sure they're viewing this as a Cup run....how can they intend to tie up virtually half their money in three guys? Too crazy. I'm glad about the whole thing. It's certainly not an intelligent move by Pittsburgh in terms of looking towards the future, and I'm still not incredibly scared of their team on the whole. Obviously, they are scarier up front now, but I think Hossa going to Montreal would have really put the Habs over the top. Of course I'm rooting for us, but if I had to pick someone to make it out of the East I'd say Montreal. If they added Hossa, I would definitely be picking them.

Old
02-26-2008, 05:22 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Not a smart move by the Pens, but whatever, it will help us in the long term picture of things.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Kaktus*

Hossa does not need anyone to score goals. Prospal does. Hossa is an excellen player who does pretty much everyhting and does it well. I would say he is better then Gagne when Simon is healthy.

I did not mind this trade (Prospal trade that is). Hopefully Pittsburgh will not win anything and won't be able to resign Hossa. Giving up that much will not do them any good.

I really hope Briere and Prospal will click.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagne22 View Post

Hossa's way better defensively. Hossa is a better player than Gagne (offensively, defensively, physically). He's one of the top two-way forwards in the league (and I nkow it, I'm a huge Thrashers fan too) Not sure where you guys heard that he's not good defensively.

Which is also why he's going to command ~$8-9M.

thedjpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:51 PM
officer nasty*

If Prospal can be re-upped at a reasonable rate the trade is an absolute steal compared to the Hossa deal.

I don't adhere to the Penguins-got-Feastered theory; I think the Penguins dealt a pile of crap for a guy they probably can't afford to sign in the off-season.

officer nasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 05:52 PM
thedjpd

Quote:

This is what I'm saying.

Pens fans keep insisting it's a good deal as long as it's not a rental.

Well, how are they going to keep Letang, Malkin, Crosby, Hossa, Gonchar and Fleury?

They'll be Tampa-extreme in three years if they try to keep all three (Crosby, Malkin and Hossa ~$28M).

Old
Cannonation

I could care less what people say, this was a dumb move by the pens. They would have been better off taking a route like us, getting someone who they could actually afford to resign. They gave up all that for a rental player! Thats all he is! If they don't WIN THE CUP THIS YEAR, it was pointless and a complete waste. You have to figure that malkin will easily demand 7+, hossa will get 6+ (and this is being conservative), not to mention cindy's salary, thats over 20 million in three players! As i have seen posted elsewhere, tampa bay anyone?

Cannonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
scottymac223

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Hossa's way better defensively. Hossa is a better player than Gagne (offensively, defensively, physically). He's one of the top two-way forwards in the league (and I nkow it, I'm a huge Thrashers fan too) Not sure where you guys heard that he's not good defensively.

Which is also why he's going to command ~$8-9M.
I was the only one who wrote that and have since admitted I was wrong

Old
02-26-2008, 05:53 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer nasty View Post
If Prospal can be re-upped at a reasonable rate the trade is an absolute steal compared to the Hossa deal.

I don't adhere to the Penguins-got-Feastered theory; I think the Penguins dealt a pile of crap for a guy they probably can't afford to sign in the off-season.
No, I don't think they got ripped, but they certainly didn't get great value, either. Atlanta got a lot of assets for something they were going to lose anyway.

It's that perspective that makes it a great deal for Atlanta.