HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impressions of Cogliano?

Old
02-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
The thing about Cogliano that has impressed me the most this season is his tenacity. He's fairly small in terms of body size but he surprisingly plays a fairly consistent physical game. Likewise, he's actually not bad along the boards down low despite his small frame.

I'm still not sure about Cogliano's overall potential but I feel very confident in predicting that he will develop into a player who will really help the Oilers win hockey games.

02-26-2008, 11:37 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Kid can flat out fly, he is smart and a good play maker. I think we look so much into gagner we forget about him. personally I see a 20-40 -60 type player, but he could do more. when you can skate like him, sky is the limit.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
The thing about Cogliano that has impressed me the most this season is his tenacity. He's fairly small in terms of body size but he surprisingly plays a fairly consistent physical game. Likewise, he's actually not bad along the boards down low despite his small frame.

I'm still not sure about Cogliano's overall potential but I feel very confident in predicting that he will develop into a player who will really help the Oilers win hockey games.
I abslolutley do NOT see tenacity in his game. I think he offers very little to the cycle or in the slot...but hey...its all good.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Stylez

Hes fast,not scared to get into the rough areas,good backchecker. He has way more potentional than todd marchant. You gotta remember that he hasnt played with the same quality linemates that Sam has and hasnt been given as much oppertunity and still andrew has put up good points.

Stylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Oilerdiehard

The Cogliano and Marchant comparisons over all are not great. Defensively and skating the comparison can be made.

Though Cogs is probably never going to be a big time goal scorer he has better goal scoring hands and accuracy IMO than Marchant. Cogs probably tops out somewhere between the 20-25 goal level in his career. Where there is zero comparison as far as I am concerned is in passing the puck. Outside of one freak season the highest assist total Marchant ever had was 26 assists. Cogliano is on pace to match or beat that total in his rookie year.

Having watched a ton of his college games we have only seen the surface of what he can do with his passing at the NHL. The game is just beginning to slow down for him and he is still finding his way on how to use his speed and adjust his speed levels to match the NHL game and tighter checking. He has had a nice rookie season but there is more to come yet.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 12:25 AM
missinthejets

the fact that he's doing this well in his first pro season has me really excited to see what he can manage in the future.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 01:01 AM
NMK

He's quite a bit above where I expected him to be this season. I was thinking about 25 points, 3rd or 4th liner, and he has played top 6 at times already this season. I see him as a Horcoff kind of guy. Seems like he's got a great head, excellent work ethic and attitude, great speed, good playmaking skills, and a half decent shot. I see him as a 70 point guy in his prime, likely sitting in the 55-65 point range for a good portion of his career. Solid 2nd liner for sure. I'll be upset to see him in the bottom 6 next year if that's what MacT does.

Last edited by NMK: 02-27-2008 at 01:08 AM.
NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Why do so many people say bad things about Marchant. Is there anything wrong with a guy who is good for 15 goals, 35 points a year, plays well in his own end and can draw penalties?

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 01:28 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
Why do so many people say bad things about Marchant. Is there anything wrong with a guy who is good for 15 goals, 35 points a year, plays well in his own end and can draw penalties?
Did I miss something? I just checked back over the thread I do not think anyone said anything bad about Marchant. Just a lot of comments that he is not always the best comparable.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 01:30 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Cogliano is a very dangerous player if he ever gains hands... he backs up opposing players with his speed

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 01:47 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
Nothing wrong with Marchant. Anyone who carves out a 1000 game NHL career is the real deal.

People just hope Cogliano has higher offensive upside.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
The Cogliano and Marchant comparisons over all are not great. Defensively and skating the comparison can be made.

Though Cogs is probably never going to be a big time goal scorer he has better goal scoring hands and accuracy IMO than Marchant. Cogs probably tops out somewhere between the 20-25 goal level in his career. Where there is zero comparison as far as I am concerned is in passing the puck. Outside of one freak season the highest assist total Marchant ever had was 26 assists. Cogliano is on pace to match or beat that total in his rookie year.

Having watched a ton of his college games we have only seen the surface of what he can do with his passing at the NHL. The game is just beginning to slow down for him and he is still finding his way on how to use his speed and adjust his speed levels to match the NHL game and tighter checking. He has had a nice rookie season but there is more to come yet.
We haven't always agreed about Cogliano's goal scoring prowess, but where we don't disagree one bit is about his passing skills. He definitely is a more skilled playmaker than Marchant was at the same age.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
Nothing wrong with Marchant. Anyone who carves out a 1000 game NHL career is the real deal.

People just hope Cogliano has higher offensive upside.
Yeah, I have to agree with Mr.Loves the Bank. When Marchant played with us, I loved him. His 19 breakaways a game with no goals drove me crazy, but otherwise if Cogs can play for as long as Marchant he should be happy.

But from our point of view, part of it is wanting a difference maker rather then the prototype hard working, Pisani/Moreau/Marchant/Grier/Murray/Reasoner type player. Personally I like Cogs and I'm hoping it's us who gets a late first round steal for a change. Just once please.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 02:51 AM
gnikkles

I'm tired of hearing Marchant vs. Cogliano debate... Really the only comparison between the two is their speed.

So far in my opinion Cogliano is winning the race in terms of offence, but it may be too soon to judge.

No one can say that he has hands of stone when he has a very good shooting percentage.

Players who's primary attribute is speed seem to get labelled automatically by default with no hands, and guys this isn't that oldschool hockey game where you had the skinny player, the fat player, and the medium sized player.

gnikkles is offline   Reply With Quote