HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Satellite Hot Stove - Burke Update

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 12:59 AM
hbk

vCash: 500
Satellite Hot Stove - Burke Update

not much new beyond saying that Burke is available but there was an interesting comment that if Phoenix were to deal Burke they would look to do him the service of dealing him to a contending team. If true, that's a classy move by the organization.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Yeah if he goes I'd like to see him get a chance with a real contender.

I really think a conditional pick based on success would be only fair to both sides.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:30 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Yeah if he goes I'd like to see him get a chance with a real contender.

I really think a conditional pick based on success would be only fair to both sides.
of course that could just be blowing smoke to get the Rangers to up the anty. I've had a feeling all day that a Burke trade would be completed by the end of the week (my gut reaction was to the Rangers). Something is up.

I'll be sad to see Burke go. I'm tired of debating the return.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Even if he is traded, the neverending saga will live on.. there will be freshly renewed waves of I told you so's from both sides every time he lets in a goal or makes a great save.

Since Boucher went on his run it's felt as if some umbilical cord to Burke has been removed.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:25 AM
Cyclops II*

Judging by tonights game a 5th round pick is all he is worth.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:50 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
Judging by tonights game a 5th round pick is all he is worth.
Well it is a few weeks now that the trade speculation is about making him a back up of a young goalie in a competitive franchise. For me it means that many observers assume that he is seriously on his way down. The Coyotes management probably realise this. By saying for example that 'they would look to do him the service of dealing him to a contending team', they are looking for a nice way of presenting to their own fans a disappointing trade (A mid round pick maybe).
It is a business and as soon as the Coyotes will be completly out of the play offs picture (which might be a few games away), Burke and his stiff contract will be gone. In fact, I suspect that if the Coyotes are out of the playoffs race before the trade deadline 50% of the roster will be available for trade. For prospects or draft picks.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:14 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
Well it is a few weeks now that the trade speculation is about making him a back up of a young goalie in a competitive franchise. For me it means that many observers assume that he is seriously on his way down. The Coyotes management probably realise this. By saying for example that 'they would look to do him the service of dealing him to a contending team', they are looking for a nice way of presenting to their own fans a disappointing trade (A mid round pick maybe).
It is a business and as soon as the Coyotes will be completly out of the play offs picture (which might be a few games away), Burke and his stiff contract will be gone. In fact, I suspect that if the Coyotes are out of the playoffs race before the trade deadline 50% of the roster will be available for trade. For prospects or draft picks.

still a lot of hockey to be played yet. Burke's contract is manageable within the current budget. We can't deal everyone but I would suspect a couple of names might have new addresses (most obvious one is Sillinger). We all know we are not going to get market value for Burke. That's been painfully obvious for years.

Personally, I think the talk that he's washed up is a little premature. Burke has been the backbone of this franchise since he got here. We gave up absolutely nothing to acquire him and quite frankly we've already way ahead on any deal - even if we dump him for next than nothing. A fifth round pick likely won't cut it but I don't really want to get another thread on trade value started. It's been done to death already.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Personally, I think the talk that he's washed up is a little premature. Burke has been the backbone of this franchise since he got here. We gave up absolutely nothing to acquire him and quite frankly we've already way ahead on any deal - even if we dump him for next than nothing. A fifth round pick likely won't cut it but I don't really want to get another thread on trade value started. It's been done to death already.
More than a little premature

In December he had a GAA of 2.08 and SV% of .932

But he's judged on one game. Sigh.

Old
02-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
In December he had a GAA of 2.08 and SV% of .932
But he's judged on one game. Sigh.
Yeah, Cyclops II, thanks for the comedy act...

IMHO, Burke needs to be able to find his game by playing more regularily. I know that's hard to do, when Boosh is hot and coaching staff is worried about points and their *****. Problem is, Burke is best when he is slightly overplayed. He needs to know that he can allow a couple of softies and still be the man next night. He'll rebound every time. Unfortunately he never get's two starts in a row, because Boosh's play doesn't allow it at this point. That ultimately hurts Burke's performance, his trade value and the odds of him being traded to a contender.

I wish him nothing but the best! I also hope that Boosh is for real...

Dancin' Gabe rules!

Last edited by Matzel: 02-01-2004 at 12:19 PM. Reason: (sp)
Old
02-01-2004, 01:28 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
I don't really want to get another thread on trade value started. It's been done to death already.
Agreed. Time out!

Old
02-01-2004, 04:37 PM
hbk

I note that their is another thread regarding the Rangers having offered up Jamie Lundmark straight up for Burke. It's a Garrioch column apparently and while his credibility is somewhat questionable it does spark some interesting thoughts on how such a transaction would be viewed by those of us who follow this team. Personally, I'd probably want a little more but could accept such a transaction (it's not like Lundmark has done much of anything of significance in New York). We're also fairly deep at forward but if Savage's contract would somehow mysteriously disapperar along with Savage then I could see it happening. Regardless, probably only an Ivan Baranka or a third round pick away from being a done deal. Maybe Barnett is holding out for Tyutin or maybe we're sincere about dealing him to a contending team which removes the Rangers as a trading partner.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:22 PM
PhoPhan

I also saw the Stars were interested in him as a backup. Anything of interest the Stars might offer? Perhaps another 3 way deal is in the works?

Old
02-01-2004, 10:22 PM
hbk

From Spector's:

NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports a source suggesting the Phoenix Coyotes might ship goalie Sean Burke to the Philadelphia Flyers as they're apparently showing more interest in Burke than the NY Rangers. The 'Yotes apparently want one of the Flyers promising young prospect centres (Jeff Carter or Mike Richards) or winger Patrick Sharp and the Flyers first rounder in 2004.

hmmm. things just got interesting.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I would be happy with getting Lundmark. I dont believe Carter is available. Richards is a character player so I can see management wanting him. I think Sharp and a conditional 2nd is more likely.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:46 PM
BladesofSteel21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
From Spector's:

NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports a source suggesting the Phoenix Coyotes might ship goalie Sean Burke to the Philadelphia Flyers as they're apparently showing more interest in Burke than the NY Rangers. The 'Yotes apparently want one of the Flyers promising young prospect centres (Jeff Carter or Mike Richards) or winger Patrick Sharp and the Flyers first rounder in 2004.

hmmm. things just got interesting.
If Cechmanek is worth only a second, I can see Burke going for a second/third rd
pk. I doubt Clarke would trade a 1st rd pk (Carter/Richards) for Burke because it
would be the 2nd time around in Philly for Burke, plus the effect on R Esche could
be devastating even though he and Burke are friends. I could see Sharp traded for
Burke with PHX adding a 3rd rd pk. Brooks should also do his homework and already
know the flyers traded their 2004 1st rd pk to the Oilers in the Comrie deal.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:56 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Even if Burkes year on a whole was ****ty the Yotes would still get good return for him. Veteran proven players dont lose much value.

Burke is worth a 3rd rd pick and a good prospect or a 2nd rd pick and an average prospect.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:34 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFlyer
If Cechmanek is worth only a second, I can see Burke going for a second/third rd
pk. I doubt Clarke would trade a 1st rd pk (Carter/Richards) for Burke because it
would be the 2nd time around in Philly for Burke, plus the effect on R Esche could
be devastating even though he and Burke are friends. I could see Sharp traded for
Burke with PHX adding a 3rd rd pk. Brooks should also do his homework and already
For the last time, the Cechmanek trade and the Burke trade are totally different scenarios, and thus, one does not represent the other. Also, Brooks said nothing of Philly's first rounder, he merely said Patrick Sharp and Philadelphia's first pick in 2004 (wherever they pick first) could be involved.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Gwyddbwyll

It doesnt make sense to me for Phoenix to package a 3rd with Burke especially to get a reputed gritty/grinder type which I've heard Sharp is. Sharp was a 3rd round pick himself. It would only make more sense if Phoenix gets a better prospect (ie/ a first round type) in return for adding a pick.

Otherwise its clearly better for us to keep both Burke and our pick and go with other grinders like Nash that were much cheaper to acquire.

Old
02-03-2004, 02:15 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFlyer
Well, would Esche be more comfortable with his best friend Sean Burke or with a guy like Kolzig? Furthermore, there are several players on the Flyer roster who already are firm supporters of Burke (Amonte, Roenick, Markov, Handzus) and have witnessed how Burke has carried the Coyotes for years.

In terms of trade value, while the subject has been beaten to death the economics of Phoenix having paid over half of Burke's contract versus the Kings picking up the entire tab on Cechmanek would indicate that the return for Burke will be higher.

Old
02-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Well Esche is gone with a knee sprain.. sparking off yet more rumors.

Old
02-03-2004, 12:36 PM
hbk

it's starting to feel like some fans are scared at the possibility of trading for Burke. They don't fully appreciate what they are getting granted but it just seems the names they have been hearing has them running for cover. After all the trash talk Coyote fans have been subjected to for the last two seasons if we get anything close as to what is being rumored then there will be a lot of complaining on the other boards. Of course, some fans will be complaining if we get anything more than a mid-round pick.

Old
02-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Colorado. I think he could steal Aebby's spot while being a diplomatic non-disruptive backup.

I'd prefer to see him in New York than in Philadelphia. I know HF is only a fraction of the real fanbase but going to the city of brotherly love would be anything but welcoming for Burke.

Old
02-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Dan

If the rumor is true and Barnett wants to get him to a contender, what team would you want him to go to? He would be happy in Philly with his friends. Colorado might give him a better shot at the cup. Someone said Ottawa would like a veteran back-up. I don't think they would be interested, but you never know. What do you think?

Old
02-03-2004, 04:12 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
If the rumor is true and Barnett wants to get him to a contender, what team would you want him to go to? He would be happy in Philly with his friends. Colorado might give him a better shot at the cup. Someone said Ottawa would like a veteran back-up. I don't think they would be interested, but you never know. What do you think?
I believe that the Flyers would be the best destination for him. He could play a lot of games while Esche is sidelined and would have a chance to be the starter for the post-season as I suspect his adaption would be quick. I don't think he would have this kind of oportunity with the Avs or the Sens. There he would be purely a back up.
One non negligeable thing is that Burke hasn't played much this year as opposed to the previous ones (he is on pace for only 50 games played this season) so he is fresh and could carry heavy workload up to the end of the season. If you take Kolzig for example, he is on pace for 69 games played this year and might not be so fresh. Brodeur, the goalie ironman, is on pace for 75 games. But he is facing much less shoots against per game than the two other i mentioned so that probably helps him a lot. Still, 75 games... Brodeur is something special really.

Last edited by ParisSaintGermain: 02-03-2004 at 04:15 PM.
Old
02-03-2004, 06:35 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan

Of the three I would choose Ottawa.

I do have a soft spot for Philadelphia though; although they just seem more fragile mentally with Hitchcock this year. Something just seems off.

Closed Thread