HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the Habs took a pick in 09 instead of 08

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
  #26
shealy04
Registered User
 
shealy04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
How does that not make any sense?

We build through the draft. We don't have room for them all, no, but we have room to keep the best ones and trade the ones that aren't right, but are still very valuable for pieces of the puzzle we don't have. Keeping a stacked farm and an arsenault of picks is absolutely necessary for prolonged success, look at Detroit.


Agreed. When a team drafts as well as we do, I'm not going to scoff at any high picks.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:17 PM
  #27
Bermy
Registered User
 
Bermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisaurus View Post
yeah, and the Habs would select Jean-Claude Latendresse - the third and forgotten son who is reviving his career with the labatt 50's of Abitibi
they would probably draft Keith Wickenheiser, forgotten son of good O'l Douggy lol

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:20 PM
  #28
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
"The [insert team with first pick] have traded the first pick in the 2009 draft....to the Montreal Canadiens-"
I wish, but I doubt that any team will trade John Tavares.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
  #29
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 28,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Pierre McGuire said this yesterday but I missed it...they are replaying some clips on the radio now regaring yesterday.

He said they took an 09 pick because the 09 draft is in Montreal. Also the 09 draft is at least as strong, if not stronger than 08 (I heard this before as well, and it's been discussed on this board already).

Frankly, I'm surprised nobody suggested that we took an 09 pick cause the draft is here. Makes alot of sense to me...The more picks, the better it is for the fans who attend the draft.
I think the reason we took it was because Washington had an extra one and that's what they offered.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
  #30
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Pierre McGuire said this yesterday but I missed it...they are replaying some clips on the radio now regaring yesterday.

He said they took an 09 pick because the 09 draft is in Montreal. Also the 09 draft is at least as strong, if not stronger than 08 (I heard this before as well, and it's been discussed on this board already).

Frankly, I'm surprised nobody suggested that we took an 09 pick cause the draft is here. Makes alot of sense to me...The more picks, the better it is for the fans who attend the draft.
I said it! I have the logs!

It's a good idea. Might as well get picks to appease the fans.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:23 PM
  #31
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think the reason we took it was because Washington had an extra one and that's what they offered.
They have extras in 08 as well.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:50 PM
  #32
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
*Bettman steps up to the mic for the first pick...runs through all the obligatory greetings and thank yous*

"Well before we get started, we have a trade to announce"

*crowd starts buzzing*

"The [insert team with first pick] have traded the first pick in the 2009 draft....to the Montreal Canadiens-"

*Quebec explodes into the atmosphere*
My thoughts are that instead of a trade, the pick is just rewarded to the Habs for their 100 years in the league. Either or, it will happen

Any top 10 pick would be amazing. Maybe take little Toni Rajala who is going to be the next Finnish superstar and take over Koivu.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
  #33
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,667
vCash: 500
People are comparing the 09 draft to the legendary 03 draft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html

Just look at the names taken in the first 2 rounds.

Even if the draft turns out to be half as good, they'res more than a good chance that we can get a great player in the first 2 rounds.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
  #34
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wish, but I doubt that any team will trade John Tavares.
Habs will draft Eric Chouinard anyway, so ...

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:56 PM
  #35
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Habs will draft Eric Chouinard anyway, so ...
Wasn't this BEFORE Timmins was in Montreal?

I can't wait until McDonagh becomes the best defenceman of his draft year and Weber/Subban create the best PP punch on the point.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 04:57 PM
  #36
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wish, but I doubt that any team will trade John Tavares.
I'd take the 2nd pick anytime of the decade. Hedman should be unbelievable.

so:

*Bettman steps up to the mic for the first pick...runs through all the obligatory greetings and thank yous*

"Well before we get started, we have a trade to announce"

*crowd starts buzzing*

"The [insert team with first pick] have traded the second pick in the 2009 draft....to the Montreal Canadiens-"

*Quebec explodes into the atmosphere*

__________________
Hello, this is a signature
Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:03 PM
  #37
HabsoluteFate
Registered User
 
HabsoluteFate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Pierre McGuire said this yesterday but I missed it...they are replaying some clips on the radio now regaring yesterday.

He said they took an 09 pick because the 09 draft is in Montreal. Also the 09 draft is at least as strong, if not stronger than 08 (I heard this before as well, and it's been discussed on this board already).

Frankly, I'm surprised nobody suggested that we took an 09 pick cause the draft is here. Makes alot of sense to me...The more picks, the better it is for the fans who attend the draft.
Gainey himself in his press conference said they got it because Washington had 2 09 draft picks in the 2nd round...coincidence that it happens to be the year that montreal is hosting the draft

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:11 PM
  #38
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
*Bettman steps up to the mic for the first pick...runs through all the obligatory greetings and thank yous*

"Well before we get started, we have a trade to announce"

*crowd starts buzzing*

"The [insert team with first pick] have traded the first pick in the 2009 draft....to the Montreal Canadiens-"

*Quebec explodes into the atmosphere*
Hilarious!

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
  #39
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
Gainey himself in his press conference said they got it because Washington had 2 09 draft picks in the 2nd round...coincidence that it happens to be the year that montreal is hosting the draft
Sigh....

For the 3rd time in this thread...


WASHINGTON HAS 3 2ND ROUND PICKS IN 2008!!!!!!!!!

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:43 PM
  #40
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Sigh....

For the 3rd time in this thread...


WASHINGTON HAS 3 2ND ROUND PICKS IN 2008!!!!!!!!!
Come again?


And that's what she said.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:58 PM
  #41
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Pierre McGuire said this yesterday but I missed it...they are replaying some clips on the radio now regaring yesterday.

He said they took an 09 pick because the 09 draft is in Montreal. Also the 09 draft is at least as strong, if not stronger than 08 (I heard this before as well, and it's been discussed on this board already).

Frankly, I'm surprised nobody suggested that we took an 09 pick cause the draft is here. Makes alot of sense to me...The more picks, the better it is for the fans who attend the draft.
Its anaheim's 2nd in 09 .... washinton had it... they gave it up because they had another one that year...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 05:58 PM
  #42
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
Its anaheim's 2nd in 09 .... washinton had it... they gave it up because they had another one that year...
... Holy...Do people not read the entire topic?

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
  #43
Dutchy
Registered User
 
Dutchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montréal, Québec, Ca
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 3,408
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
... Holy...Do people not read the entire topic?
Rid?? Wot east tus?

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 06:02 PM
  #44
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 23,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
... Holy...Do people not read the entire topic?
I think they are playing with you

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 07:05 PM
  #45
HABitual Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Anaheim may very likely dip down if they don't have Selanne and Niedermayer. Washington could be on the uprise. It's a year in the future, anything can happen.

A 3rd in '09 is like a 2nd in
08. A 2nd in '09 is like a first in '08.
I agree with you, recent history shows the Ducks as the exception to the rule of Stanley Cup winners missing the playoffs the following year. By next season Washington could easily be much better then Anaheim, and their pick being much higher then it looks now.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 07:16 PM
  #46
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,764
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
... Holy...Do people not read the entire topic?
Well tell that to Gainey 'cause that's exactly what he said. Is he not aware that Washington had 3 this upcoming year? If not, that's his problem. But he said that he got this 2nd rounder pick 'cause Washington had 2 that year....

But clearly, Washington decided what to give him and Gainey accepted it. Washington went with the worst 2nd rounders they had in the next 2 years.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 07:22 PM
  #47
Pere Noel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmusch View Post
Because this is the Anaheim pick. So barely a third pick.
Wash's second pick was too much for Huet.
Bah... I don't see much of a difference between bottom line 2nd pick and top line 2nd round pick:

Last 6 Montreal's second picks:
2003- 40 C Cory Urquhart
2007- 43 D P.K. Subban
2005- 45 R Guillaume Latendresse
2006- 49 C Ben Maxwell
2006- 53 D Mathieu Carle
2003- 61 C Maxim Lapierre
Actually, the worst pick was Urqhart at #40

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
  #48
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well tell that to Gainey 'cause that's exactly what he said. Is he not aware that Washington had 3 this upcoming year? If not, that's his problem. But he said that he got this 2nd rounder pick 'cause Washington had 2 that year....
To even suggest that Gainey "didn't know what they had" could quite possibly be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read in this history of this message board.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
  #49
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,764
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
Bah... I don't see much of a difference between bottom line 2nd pick and top line 2nd round pick:

Last 6 Montreal's second picks:
2003- 40 C Cory Urquhart
2007- 43 D P.K. Subban
2005- 45 R Guillaume Latendresse
2006- 49 C Ben Maxwell
2006- 53 D Mathieu Carle
2003- 61 C Maxim Lapierre
Actually, the worst pick was Urqhart at #40
Just a percentage question 'cause if the #40 ends up being Bergeron, you wouldn't have the same thought process. Chances are you end up with a better pick the higher you pick....Sure there's tons of examples that says otherwise, though it's just a question of how it's suppose to be. But I do understand your point. We might end up after all with a great pick anyway.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
  #50
Pere Noel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
They have extras in 08 as well.
Where can we get that information?

Any place where we can see who has which pick for any upcoming draft year?

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.