HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the Habs took a pick in 09 instead of 08

Old
02-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
To even suggest that Gainey "didn't know what they had" could quite possibly be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read in this history of this message board.
Great! Another one of your personal attacks! It never gets old in here. Grow up. I'm just telling you what Gainey said. He said clearly "Washington gave me that pick 'cause they had 2 in 09". Then, with your superior intelligence, you're telling us....THEY HAD 3 PICKS IN THE 2ND ROUND!!!!!! So if they had 3 in 08, why would Gainey specified that they had 2 in 09? I'm not suggesting he didn't know but I'm only stating what he said.

By the way, did Gainey knew what he received when he traded Garon for Bonk and Huet? Didn't he say that Huet was a throw-in and he didn't know the guy that much? Am I inventing this?

And please put me on your ignore list, you don't have time to waste reading ridiculous posts, and see if I care....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmusch View Post
Because this is the Anaheim pick. So barely a third pick.
Wash's second pick was too much for Huet.
Unless Anaheim is upset in the playoffs. Also, Anaheim might not have Selanne next season.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Unless Anaheim is upset in the playoffs. Also, Anaheim might not have Selanne next season.
It might not be that bad after all. Chances are Anaheim might not be as strong next year than they are this year. Nieds should retire as well shouldn't he?

Old
02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
With Timmins, 2 seconds and 1 first round pick in strong draft is like having 3 first rounders.
Don't be so sure. 2003 was a deep draft year but Timmins selected Urquhart and Lapierre in the second round. Neither is the equivalent of a first rounder. However, he did better later on with O'Byrne and some other prospects.

Old
02-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I thought it was brilliant of Bob to take next year's 2nd round pick for 2 reasons

1. The 09 draft is MUCH deeper then the 08 draft

2. Right now, Hossa or not, we are not stanley cup contenders, we can't match up to teams like Ottawa, Detroit or Anaheim, we have alot of players who are barely starting to pan out and have never even played 1 playoff game, like the Kostys, Higgins, Price and Latendresse, next year imo we will have a much better team when we get rid of all of the deadwood and our kids starting taking alot more room in the lockerroom, by that we'l have another 2nd round to give if we're in great shape, if we would of gotten an 08 pick, that would of been the end of it, now it's an asset to get an impact player next year if we're in great shape to grab the cup
Right now, the Sens are floundering and the Bruins would love to play them in the first round. Maybe Murray can straighten out the Sens but the Habs are only 1 point behind them.

Old
02-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Don't be so sure. 2003 was a deep draft year but Timmins selected Urquhart and Lapierre in the second round. Neither is the equivalent of a first rounder. However, he did better later on with O'Byrne and some other prospects.
Thing is as great as this draft was, the only player chosen after Lapierre that might end up better could be Howard, McArthur and just a few more. Urquhart was a big and definitive mistake, that everybody knows.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 02-27-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old
02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
Where can we get that information?

Any place where we can see who has which pick for any upcoming draft year?
Look up 2008 nhl draft on wikipedia and it says who has which picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great! Another one of your personal attacks! It never gets old in here. Grow up. I'm just telling you what Gainey said. He said clearly "Washington gave me that pick 'cause they had 2 in 09". Then, with your superior intelligence, you're telling us....THEY HAD 3 PICKS IN THE 2ND ROUND!!!!!! So if they had 3 in 08, why would Gainey specified that they had 2 in 09? I'm not suggesting he didn't know but I'm only stating what he said.

By the way, did Gainey knew what he received when he traded Garon for Bonk and Huet? Didn't he say that Huet was a throw-in and he didn't know the guy that much? Am I inventing this?

And please put me on your ignore list, you don't have time to waste reading ridiculous posts, and see if I care....
Wow, talk about an overreaction. I wasn't attacking you, just what you said. Calm the **** down.

And I stand by it. No matter what Gainey said, it's completely ridiculous to even suggest that an NHL cup winning GM with a multi million dollar staff around him would not know which assets were owned by a team he was negotiating with.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Wow, talk about an overreaction. I wasn't attacking you, just what you said. Calm the **** down.

And I stand by it. No matter what Gainey said, it's completely ridiculous to even suggest that an NHL cup winning GM with a multi million dollar staff around him would not know which assets were owned by a team he was negotiating with.
Then, what it means is that Gainey took whatever Washington was offering him. Don't know why he answered the way he did 'cause when your asked why that particular pick and you answered the way he did, (he also added that it's easier for a team to trade a pick when they have more than 1 in a round) it's pretty confusing don't you think?

My thinking was that he took that pick 'cause 09 was deeper.

As far as my overreaction, I'm ****ing sick tonight and that's how it came out. But I just think that an analysis as bad as it might sound, shouldn't get the label you gave and especially not from you, a poster that I like reading most of the time. There's so many attacks in this board that there's no need to add one I thought was not deserved.

Let's move on and talk hockey.

Old
02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
I'm sorry but Timmins had just come on board that season and I think a lot of the picks were heavily influenced by Andre Savard?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 08:18 PM
m00ks

It's because Washington had 2 2nd round picks in '09. That's why it was easier to let one go.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote