HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Come on Salo

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 03:05 AM
mrlayance
First Pick For Life

vCash: 500
Come on Salo

Get in the game!

Old
02-01-2004, 03:12 AM
Allan

There's a game day thread stickied at the top.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:49 AM
Schai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlayance
Get in the game!
Lowe should buy out salo's contract right after tonight's game.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Seachd

Hmm... I didn't see Salo ice the puck a million times at the end of the game.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:06 AM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Hmm... I didn't see Salo ice the puck a million times at the end of the game.

That's because he can't stop the puck or hold onto a rebound long enough to have the opportunity to ice the puck.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:17 AM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
That's because he can't stop the puck or hold onto a rebound long enough to have the opportunity to ice the puck.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:19 AM
Seachd

But seriously.

With eleventeen screwups in front of him at any given time, it's a wonder he gets anything done. Ignoring that is ignoring the reason they lost.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:22 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlayance
Get in the game!
I remember when an LA fan was commenting on Potvin a couple years back. He is either really good, or really bad..... not happy medium, no consistency.... Salo to a TEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Old
02-01-2004, 07:49 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
This game was lost by the cooaching staff. Salo wasn't steller, but the D sucked and MacT is useless

Old
02-01-2004, 07:53 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
But seriously.

With eleventeen screwups in front of him at any given time, it's a wonder he gets anything done. Ignoring that is ignoring the reason they lost.
Not surprising they screw up when he's setting them up to get plowed into the boards, or ignoring their screams of THE PUCK IS RIGHT THERE! COVER IT!!!

Old
02-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Oilhitch

Salo was brutal last night. IMO he IS the reason they lost the game.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:22 PM
oil4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
I remember when an LA fan was commenting on Potvin a couple years back. He is either really good, or really bad..... not happy medium, no consistency.... Salo to a TEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Salo's been very consistent..................consistently undependable. I don't understand how someone can go from a Hall of Fame performance against Chicago to ECHL back up goalie performance.

The oilers are a very young and fragile team. It's hard to play with any kind of confidence when you don't know what your "last line of defence" is going to play like.

The puck looked like a grenade out their in our own zone last night.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Walsher

Goal #1 - aweful defensive zone coverage especially with less than 10 seconds left in the period - as strong move to the net and a smart shot with Salo going for the poke check.

Goal #2 - a thousand chances to clear the puck by the Oilers to no avail. Salo makes some good saves, defensemen loose all of their men and really get out of position. Salo looses the puck because of the scrambly play of his defensemen, Klatt banks it off Salo from behind the net.

Goal #3 - should have stopped it but considering the Oilers, in particular Smyth made bonehead play after bonehead play to finish the game they deserved that one.

Goal #4 - Dumb shot by Cross at the offensive zone which missed the net and led to a three on 2, Salo makes original save, Pisani runs him into his own net and Holland taps it in.

Salo was not the problem. He didn't go out of his way to steal the game but I hardly blame him for the loss.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:01 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Goal #1 - aweful defensive zone coverage especially with less than 10 seconds left in the period - as strong move to the net and a smart shot with Salo going for the poke check.

Goal #2 - a thousand chances to clear the puck by the Oilers to no avail. Salo makes some good saves, defensemen loose all of their men and really get out of position. Salo looses the puck because of the scrambly play of his defensemen, Klatt banks it off Salo from behind the net.

Goal #3 - should have stopped it but considering the Oilers, in particular Smyth made bonehead play after bonehead play to finish the game they deserved that one.

Goal #4 - Dumb shot by Cross at the offensive zone which missed the net and led to a three on 2, Salo makes original save, Pisani runs him into his own net and Holland taps it in.

Salo was not the problem. He didn't go out of his way to steal the game but I hardly blame him for the loss.

4 goals on 17 shots IS the problem no matter how many excuses you make for him.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
4 goals on 17 shots IS the problem no matter how many excuses you make for him.
Ya because the number of shots against is the only determinant on the game. The Oilers had 36 shots most of which were very low quality. I am not making excuses I just find it difficult to lay the blame on Salo for this loss. If the forwards could put the puck in the ocean from the beach they would have blown out LA. They are far more to blame.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Seachd

Quote:
If the forwards could put the puck in the ocean from the beach they would have blown out LA. They are far more to blame.
I agree completely. Salo is the last line of defence. Maybe they should figure out that there are 5 other Oilers on the ice, and they didn't do their job at the end. No, neither did Salo, but putting all the blame for the loss on him is ridiculous, considering what happened.

Old
02-02-2004, 12:03 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

Goal #1- Bad D coverage, but Salo makes a fundamental mistake by giving an easy opening under his body due to bad pokecheck technique.

Goal #2- Salo pays no attention to his defence, does not control the puck, and panicks when he can't see it, not moving despite the fact that Trent Klatt is coming around looking straight at the puck, and his defenceman is screaming at him.

Goal #3- Decent point shot, but Salo reacts late to try and find the puck, instead of looking before the shot, he looks after he can see the guy wind up. Just dumb.

Goal #4- Classic beached whale Tommy. If he stands his ground, he controls the first shot and it's not an issue.

Salo was not the only problem, but he was a HUGE part of it. Only so much you can blame him for, MacTavish is the one putting him in there and refusing to pull him.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:03 AM
Fincan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Goal #1- Bad D coverage, but Salo makes a fundamental mistake by giving an easy opening under his body due to bad pokecheck technique.

Goal #2- Salo pays no attention to his defence, does not control the puck, and panicks when he can't see it, not moving despite the fact that Trent Klatt is coming around looking straight at the puck, and his defenceman is screaming at him.

Goal #3- Decent point shot, but Salo reacts late to try and find the puck, instead of looking before the shot, he looks after he can see the guy wind up. Just dumb.

Goal #4- Classic beached whale Tommy. If he stands his ground, he controls the first shot and it's not an issue.

Salo was not the only problem, but he was a HUGE part of it. Only so much you can blame him for, MacTavish is the one putting him in there and refusing to pull him.
Why do I always get the feeling from you that you think every goalie ever should have stopped every single shot that they ever faced. Has a goalie ever let in a goal that they just got beat on, ever? Or at least Salo?

with #4, far too little blame for that goal is being blamed on Pisani, he did everything to disrupt Salo but sit right on him.

OT: I wouldnt be surpirsed if Murray, bieng the coaching genius that he is, actually sent one of his guys out (Norstrom) to take a penalty in the second, knowing that there is not better way to take away the Oilers momentum than get them on the PP. I know its a long shot, but damn would that be genius if that is what he did. They completey died after that, after coming so hard.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:20 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Tommy didn't play strong. He probably didn't play average. But he is so far from the person who should be getting the attention right now. Anybody who's played decent hockey here is well aware that with there goalie pulled and a one goal lead late in the game YOU NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER try to score on the empty net from your own end. You dump the puck up the boards. Ryan Smyth cost the Oilers two points last night - I wasn't aroudn a computer and I thought to myself that there would be MUCH more trade Ryan Smyth talk right now then what there is. This board has become so blind and won't open there eyes to what is the true problem, but think they are smart by saying "Salo played bad and had bad tech. on hsi poke check". If Ryan Smyth wasn't Ryan Smyth he wouldn't play the next game I promise you that.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Tommy didn't play strong. He probably didn't play average. But he is so far from the person who should be getting the attention right now. Anybody who's played decent hockey here is well aware that with there goalie pulled and a one goal lead late in the game YOU NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER try to score on the empty net from your own end. You dump the puck up the boards. Ryan Smyth cost the Oilers two points last night - I wasn't aroudn a computer and I thought to myself that there would be MUCH more trade Ryan Smyth talk right now then what there is. This board has become so blind and won't open there eyes to what is the true problem, but think they are smart by saying "Salo played bad and had bad tech. on hsi poke check". If Ryan Smyth wasn't Ryan Smyth he wouldn't play the next game I promise you that.
- thank you. That is exactly my point as well. Ryan Smyth makes easy plays look difficult and makes obvious plays very complicated. He has been bad all year and he needs to be moved. Do people actually realize what this team could get and how it could benefit from a trade involving SMyth?

Old
02-02-2004, 03:18 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
no, wrong - Smyth CAN NOT BE MOVED. The Oilers got him to take less to stay in Edmonton, if you slap him in the face with by trading him then NOBODY will EVER EVER trust the Oilers and feel that they should have loyalty as it wasn't repaid to Smyth, why would it be repaid to them. To me Smyth is the one Oiler that although I'm the most disapointed to see have it, has earned the ability to have this kind of season.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:24 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
no, wrong - Smyth CAN NOT BE MOVED. The Oilers got him to take less to stay in Edmonton, if you slap him in the face with by trading him then NOBODY will EVER EVER trust the Oilers and feel that they should have loyalty as it wasn't repaid to Smyth, why would it be repaid to them. To me Smyth is the one Oiler that although I'm the most disapointed to see have it, has earned the ability to have this kind of season.
What message would be sent if they keep him? That it is ok to take 3.4 million dollars for 1.6 million dollar performance? Is it OK that he has come up empty this year? Where is his loyalty to this team this year? Loyalty has nothing to do with this sitation. The Oilers signed MacT to 3 years at less than he would have made elsewhere yet everyone else demands that he be fired. What loyalty does that show. Your priorities are out of whack. You would rather than an underachieveing, lifeless, effortless, hazard that signed because he liked it here, over a trade that could bring in help? Doesn't make sense. This is a business and businessmen know when to hold and they know when to foldem - this is definately the latter.

Closed Thread