HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rumor: Higgins was the dealbreaker

Old
02-28-2008, 07:18 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Never mind the Esposito haters, they have a man-crush the size of McPhee's prostate for him. If he was a Montreal prospect he'd be a god, a can't miss prospect and an untouchable.
I was going to leave the thread because I thought everything had been said, glad I didn't.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
How many teams passed over Esposito at the draft? And now the only team that wanted him trades him away...This kid is going to have major self-doubt issues in the future and i dont think he's going to be an NHL player because he seems to soft between the ears. Just my impression of him after seeing him in 2-3 interviews.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Habdominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
In what ****ing world is Waddell in?

Grabovski >>>>>>> Esposito
O'Byrne >>>>>>> Christensen
Higgins >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Armstrong
Halak > 1st > Hedberg
Agree maybe except the Espo vs Grabovski part... Grabs been good as of late but even if a risky pick Espo's untap value is way bigger than Grabs... That being said he might never develop that potential... but still a better value IMO

Thank god the deal didn't happen

Habdominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Netro

BG was not going to include Higgins. If indeed Waddell asked for Higgins, then he has no sense of what is fair for a rental player. That said, it never hurts to ask.

Also, I gotta agree with the poster, despite the childish back and forth posting, that Atlanta does not need Halak. They are committed to Kari Lehitonen (however you spell his name) and while O'Byrne and Grabovski have upside they are not proven yet. Armstrong and Christensen are much more proven players and they both also have good upside.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Habdominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I guess we're all entitled to our opinion.

I say no ****ing way this happens.
And I would have to agree with you on that

Habdominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Gainey said they wanted 3 roster players and one "future" (which might be a prospect or a pick).

Higgins + Obyrne + Grabovski + Halak were all on the roster on tuesday.

This make no sense.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:31 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
He is 19 years old, playing in the QMJHL after being drafted. Wait until next year when he fills in and is in the 'A.'

For a guy saying Grabovski has upside at 25 years old and saying Esposito is a bust (really don't know how a 19 year old is a bust), really says a lot about your hockey sense.
Look, the guy is 19, he had a great first season at 17 then played very bad the year after and is playing worse this year...clearly you can't become worse when you get older in the Q and he has managed to do that. Also he got cut from Team Canada for the 3rd straight time and that says a lot.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:33 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
BG was not going to include Higgins. If indeed Waddell asked for Higgins, then he has no sense of what is fair for a rental player. That said, it never hurts to ask.

Also, I gotta agree with the poster, despite the childish back and forth posting, that Atlanta does not need Halak. They are committed to Kari Lehitonen (however you spell his name) and while O'Byrne and Grabovski have upside they are not proven yet. Armstrong and Christensen are much more proven players and they both also have good upside.
I keep thinking that when you're building what appears to be a good team, you don't leapfrog and deal away one of the pillars of what you're trying to do. To deal from the core, it seems you'd have to believe you didn't really like that core.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:33 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
Waddel was trying to take Gainey for an idiot.

Oh well have fun with Espo when he never plays an NHL game.
Waddell owes what he is to Bob Gainey. He was a protege of Gainey's in Dallas. The GM fraternity is small, any news of bad faith bargaining will get around. Waddell might as well turn in his keys now.

BTW, anyone else notice a strong resemblence between Don Waddell and Cancerman from The X Files?

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I don't see why there would be anything consisting of "bad faith" here on Waddell's part. He probably went to Gainey and said, "look Pittsburgh's offering me a great deal. I'll give you the opportunity of beating it by including Higgins. If you don't want to, I understand but I hope you understand that I have to take the Penguins' offer because its better for us..."

You certainly can't argue that Waddell failed to maximize his asset with Pittsburgh.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
More future, less present.

I would have structured a deal like the following:

Asset #1:
A first-round draft pick OR one young NHL experienced player (24 yo or less) from among:
Lapierre
Gorges
Grabovski (not counted as Hamilton player)
Chipchura (not counted as Hamilton player)

Asset #2:
A second-round draft pick OR any Hamilton player or player not yet in Hamilton, except:
d'Agostini
McDonough
Pacioretti
Halak (unless an NHL experienced goalie comes back in the trade)

Asset #3:
Michael Ryder OR a third-round draft pick OR the rights to Perezhogin

Asset #4:
A fourth-round draft pick OR one older not expensive depth player, signed for 08-09, from among:
Begin
Kostopoulos
Dandenault

Stipulation: no more than three draft picks in total

In other words, I would have been ready to pay a 1st, 3rd, 4th and Valentenko for two months of Hossa. Or a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Begin. Or a 1st, 2nd, 4th plus Michael Ryder. You can make other combinations yourselves.

In my book, that's ALREADY damn generous!! If another GM is desperate enough to mortgage BOTH his present AND his future, by including players of the calibre of Higgins and O'Byrne, well..........I must pass. And so did Bob.
Would you have included a Toyota?

Old
02-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Esposito won't be in the NHL at 24, mark my words. Mark them right now, seriously, have you seen the kid play?
Not even an NHL player?

How the mighty have fallen.

Old
02-28-2008, 07:45 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Waddell owes what he is to Bob Gainey. He was a protege of Gainey's in Dallas. The GM fraternity is small, any news of bad faith bargaining will get around. Waddell might as well turn in his keys now.
Waddell has never been in the Dallas organization. He was a GM and executive with the San Diego Gulls, the Flint Spirits, the Orlando Solar Bears, and was an assistant GM with the Detroit Red Wings before coming to Atlanta.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:48 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

this is why Bob is the man

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't see why there would be anything consisting of "bad faith" here on Waddell's part. He probably went to Gainey and said, "look Pittsburgh's offering me a great deal. I'll give you the opportunity of beating it by including Higgins. If you don't want to, I understand but I hope you understand that I have to take the Penguins' offer because its better for us..."

You certainly can't argue that Waddell failed to maximize his asset with Pittsburgh.
Or could it be that Waddell told Gainey; "Listen, you traded your #1 goalie to a team I'm directly competing with for a playoff spot...so get Higgins in the deal..."

Personally, that's the part I don't understand; I'm 100% ok with the idea of trading Huet to give the #1 spot to Price...but why to WASH when everybody knows you're in the race for Hossa?

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:04 AM
sandman08

chances are the caps are the only team to put actually offer anything tangible or worth while for huet.. the only teams that are in need of a goalie at the moment are LA (they're fighting for stamkos/doughty), the sens (no need to comment), the caps (we know what we got from them), the lightning (but they just acquired smith and it makes zero sense for them), and who else? the pens are happy with the situation they have, the same could be said about the preds and wings (injuries being more of an issue there), the oil may have been interested but garon is doing very well and we'd have to take roloson back (signed for next year at way more than he's worth).. so no team with has a big enough need to trade away assets that would allow to make the trade

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
And on the fact of Esposito.
He's 19. He's playing in a league he thinks he doesn't belong in. He's not playing with "quality" any more.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I'm guessing you are one of the people that said Ryder would score another 30 this year and they shouldn't trade him.
And you probably also think him being cut a record time 3 times in a row from the WJHC team was because he had no quality linemates during the selection camps?

In any case I guess time will tell how he does.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post

Cant wait to use this smilie in a real context again....like in OT in the finals or on July 1st!
You forgot the draft.... and when Price will win the Conn Smythe, and when he will win Hart, Calder, Vezina and Lady Bing

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:25 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Waddell has never been in the Dallas organization. He was a GM and executive with the San Diego Gulls, the Flint Spirits, the Orlando Solar Bears, and was an assistant GM with the Detroit Red Wings before coming to Atlanta.
Apparently I stand corrected. Wikopedia confirms your information but I could have sworn that Waddell was in the Stars organization. If there is anyone else with this recollection, please help. I'll correct Wikopedia myself if I'm right :-). Thanks BTN.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:33 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Apparently I stand corrected. Wikopedia confirms your information but I could have sworn that Waddell was in the Stars organization. If there is anyone else with this recollection, please help. I'll correct Wikopedia myself if I'm right :-). Thanks BTN.
I wasn't sure about it either, but it didn't sound right....I just went to his bio on the Thrashers website. Now, not sure if one of the minor league teams he was with had a affiliation with Dallas while Gainey was there...but when Waddell was an assistant GM it was with Detroit.

BTW, I spent plenty of time here before the deadline, so I am sorry we couldn't get the Hossa deal done with you guys....however I do feel that it was the right move by Montreal to keep your players. I have been very impressed with the way you guys have played this year, and no matter what happens in the playoffs this year you should have many strong seasons to look forward to.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
no matter what happens in the playoffs this year you should have many strong seasons to look forward to.
Amen. Can we have this stickied please?

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Amen. Can we have this stickied please?
Stanley Cup or BUST!

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Mue

I doubt it, but, if Waddell was asking for Higgins for a rental he probably already knew he was taking the Penguins deal.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:40 AM
plafleur10

Esposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Not even an NHL player?

How the mighty have fallen.
My son played with Espo in NDG minor hockey.

Here's how his parents built him into a hockey player, in what looked like a very deliberate plan from Day 1.

When he was 3 or 4, they put him in figure skating for 3 years to make him a great skater.

By the time he was 6 or 7, he was playing with kids a couple of years older and the best player on the ice due solely to his skating abilities.

As you would expect for a kid like that, playing alone, hogging the puck and very little hockey sense.Also not avery strong physical kid, more of a gracious type skater due to the figure skating.

His skating enabled him to dominate all the way through, but the closer he gets to the NHL, the lack of other dominating skills is catching up with him.

Just before the draft, another NDG kid from those days told me he was playing Summer hockey with Espo and was surprised at his lack of other skills. The players on the ice with Espo were in no way NHL prospects but good "AA" or "BB" players and he said, foor example, that Espo's shots (wrister and slapper) were at best very average and that several of the kids on the ice had stronger shots...

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
So...

Huet was traded to make space for Hedberg...
Same as what I was thinking. Really strange to trade Huet earlier in the day if you also had Halak included in another proposal.

What? Que passa?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote