HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter

Old
03-02-2008, 06:52 PM
ERFNOCKIN

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter is interim Cannon. Let's hope he plays like this from here on out.

ERFNOCKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachovia Center View Post
Homer has done a good job so far signing all our young guys, I doubt we'll lose Carter to an offer sheet.
No, but he might end up being traded.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb22 View Post
Hopefully he doesn't get a Vanek type offer from another team in the offseason if he continues to play like this.....then what??
Not same dollar value, but clearly an offer that surpasses what he's really worth, especially to us.
It depends. If Carter ends up averaging a point per game down the stretch here (Richards averaged a point per game down the stretch last year), then I think Carter might be in line for one of those Vanek-type deals. However, I do think that Holmgren locks up Carter before he hits the market if that's the case and he gives Carter a Richards-type contract. That also means that a high priced forward has to be out at the end of this season. Does that mean it's Briere or Gagne?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It depends. If Carter ends up averaging a point per game down the stretch here (Richards averaged a point per game down the stretch last year), then I think Carter might be in line for one of those Vanek-type deals. However, I do think that Holmgren locks up Carter before he hits the market if that's the case and he gives Carter a Richards-type contract. That also means that a high priced forward has to be out at the end of this season. Does that mean it's Briere or Gagne?
Briere is extremely hard to move due to his NMC and I don't think Gags is traded for a few reasons. Even discounting loyalty and his now friendly cap hit (find a 40 goal scorer for 5 mil or so) his trade value will be down due to his concussions. Hopefully he comes back better than ever. I think the cap goes up a decent amount and Hatcher and Kappy retire. That frees up at least 10 million.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Briere has a NMC, and Gagne has a NTC.

Then again, so did Rathje if I remember correctly.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Briere is extremely hard to move due to his NMC and I don't think Gags is traded for a few reasons. Even discounting loyalty and his now friendly cap hit (find a 40 goal scorer for 5 mil or so) his trade value will be down due to his concussions. Hopefully he comes back better than ever. I think the cap goes up a decent amount and Hatcher and Kappy retire. That frees up at least 10 million.
I think Hatcher and Kappy are only worth 4.75 combined. We need to let at least another veteran or two walk the other way. Knuble has to be one of them. I also think that Nolan Baumgartner and Turner Stevenson's contracts come off the books too.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:04 PM
cycle_it

as much as i've championed gagne ......i say dump him.

cycle_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:09 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb22 View Post
Hopefully he doesn't get a Vanek type offer from another team in the offseason if he continues to play like this.....then what??
Not same dollar value, but clearly an offer that surpasses what he's really worth, especially to us.
Homer's gotta lock him up before he reaches the point where offer sheets are waived in his face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle_it View Post
as much as i've championed gagne ......i say dump him.
I can't agree with this. Right now, I'm just hoping he comes back healthy.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I can't agree with this. Right now, I'm just hoping he comes back healthy.
You can hope all you want, but here's the reality of the situation. Gagnč hasn't played a full season for us...ever. He's been close to it in the past, but there would always be some nagging injury holding him back. At some point, all those bumps and bruises are going to catch up to him. Hell, age is going to start to catch up to him. Look no further than Tony Amonte if you need proof.

This season, he suffered a traumatic concussion that prevented him from playing 57 games. We don't know how susceptible he will be in the future, or even how he'll react to physical play when the checking picks up. Will he avoid the slot area completely? Will he be more hesitant to go into the corners? Will he peel off every time he carries the puck into the offensive zone to avoid a hit?

Taking into account the depth we have at left wing, the depth we don't have at center, the player Carter projects to be, the uncertainty involved with Gagnč, and the amount Carter could be asking for as early as next season, it's definitely something that should be considered.

Old
03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
flyersfan97

Roger, quit depressing me. Your post is 100% accurate, which is why I'm so depressed right now. However, I'm willing to give Gags another season, if he's not the same player he's been in the past then I'd be willing to unload him--they'll always be a team looking for his scoring touch.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Briere - Carter - Umberger

Gags - Richards - Hartnell
I'm not that thrilled with Umberger as a top-line player long term. I think Lupul is more that player.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Gags1288

With the forward depth we have on the NHL roster and within the organization, the Flyers are going to be making tough decisions for the next 5 years. This looks like the first in a long line of them (well, it's two actually with regards to Carter and Umberger). As we saw with Ottawa when they were forced to part ways with Chara and Havlat, you can only have so many high priced players on your roster so you have to make the right decisions.

If the choice is between Carter and Gagne, it's a difficult one, but I think that if Carter can maintain this level of play for another month or so then he's the guy you go with. He's a center, he's younger, he's getting better every year at both ends of the ice, he doesn't have the injury questions, and he has the natural ability to be a dominant player in this league. The Flyers have already committed themselves to Briere, Timonen, and Richards as 3 high priced guys, so they're going to have to make the right decisions with regards to choosing the 2 or 3 more that they can afford to keep.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
pughater

carter is a beast

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
cycle_it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Roger, quit depressing me. Your post is 100% accurate, which is why I'm so depressed right now. However, I'm willing to give Gags another season, if he's not the same player he's been in the past then I'd be willing to unload him--they'll always be a team looking for his scoring touch.
i guess that means i too am 100% correct!

i love it when that happens

cycle_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:23 PM
JGalt

It's gonna be tight, but I see Carter, Umberger and Gagne all being back next year:

My predicted 2008/2009 Flyers with cap hit (My Budget):

Gagne 5.25m - Briere 6.5m - Umberger RFA (3)
Lupul 2.312m - Richards 5.75 - Downie .821m
Hartnell 4.2m - Carter RFA (5) - Giroux .850m
Kapanen 1.25m/Cote RFA (.6) - Thoresen RFA/Potulny RFA/FA/Trade(.75) - Upshall 1.225m

Timonen 6.3m - Coburn 1.3m
Parent .855m - FA/Trade (2.5)
Kukkonen .875m - Jones RFA/FA (1.5)

Biron 3.5m
Niitty 1.225m

Total estimated cap hit: $54.363-$54.963 Million
Estimated Cap: $55 Million

Trade: Knuble 2.8m
Trade/Waive: Hatcher 3.5m
Possible retire: Kapanen
Desperate Cap Emergency Trade: Umberger

I may be cutting it excessively close, but hopefully I'm budgeting generously enough for our RFA's that it won't be a problem.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I'm not that thrilled with Umberger as a top-line player long term. I think Lupul is more that player.
Dude, I was drinking and forgot he existed. **** you

Though, when needed due to injuries, Umberger skating has improved to the point where his wheels won't be an issue against damn near anyone.

Old
03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
pughater

Quote:
Dude, I was drinking and forgot he existed. **** you

Though, when needed due to injuries, Umberger skating has improved to the point where his wheels won't be an issue against damn near anyone.
. i love the umburgler, he is coming into his zone plus he can play all three positions for us. which is more than lupul can do. but both are good i'd give the edge to rj

Old
03-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
It's gonna be tight, but I see Carter, Umberger and Gagne all being back next year:

My predicted 2008/2009 Flyers with cap hit (My Budget):

Gagne 5.25m - Briere 6.5m - Umberger RFA (3)
Lupul 2.312m - Richards 5.75 - Downie .821m
Hartnell 4.2m - Carter RFA (5) - Giroux .850m
Kapanen 1.25m/Cote RFA (.6) - Thoresen RFA/Potulny RFA/FA/Trade(.75) - Upshall 1.225m

Timonen 6.3m - Coburn 1.3m
Parent .855m - FA/Trade (2.5)
Kukkonen .875m - Jones RFA/FA (1.5)

Biron 3.5m
Niitty 1.225m

Total estimated cap hit: $54.363-$54.963 Million
Estimated Cap: $55 Million

Trade: Knuble 2.8m
Trade/Waive: Hatcher 3.5m
Possible retire: Kapanen
Desperate Cap Emergency Trade: Umberger

I may be cutting it excessively close, but hopefully I'm budgeting generously enough for our RFA's that it won't be a problem.
As much as I like RJ, I'm not sure he's worth 3 per...at that price I'd let him go.

Coburnfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pughater View Post
. i love the umburgler, he is coming into his zone plus he can play all three positions for us. which is more than lupul can do. but both are good i'd give the edge to rj
Lupul might pop in 40 one day... RJ will never do that.

Old
MountainHawk

If Carter plays like this, we could have a 90-100 pt player on our hands in a few years. He must be signed, even if it means moving Knuble and Hatcher and Kapanen out.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
JGalt

A month ago it was a forgone conclusion for me that Knuble would be traded in the offseason. Now I'm not so sure. I still think he's probably gone, but he's doing a good job of making that option less and less attractive.

Old
03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
pughater

Quote:
Lupul might pop in 40 one day... RJ will never do that.
. true but it can also not happen. double edge sword i say. we will have to see. lets hope both can stay healthy next year

Old
03-02-2008, 09:37 PM
JGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coburnfan05 View Post
As much as I like RJ, I'm not sure he's worth 3 per...at that price I'd let him go.
I don't know what I'd do if he actually demanded 3 per, I'd have to think long and hard about it, but that's how much I would set aside at this point to make sure I was able to sign him if I concluded that it was a good idea.

Old
03-02-2008, 09:41 PM
silver surfer

vCash: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
If Carter plays like this, we could have a 90-100 pt player on our hands in a few years. He must be signed, even if it means moving Knuble and Hatcher and Kapanen out.
i sure wish we had signed him when he was getting 3rd line minutes and scoring 3rd line points...look what toronto was able to do with steen (2 year deal, $1.7/yr)...they were pretty comparable point wise before carter went on this recent tear...

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
I don't know what I'd do if he actually demanded 3 per, I'd have to think long and hard about it, but that's how much I would set aside at this point to make sure I was able to sign him if I concluded that it was a good idea.
He'll ask for at least 3 million. The Brad Boyes contract guarantees it.

Send him a QO, and hope some one bites. That's my suggestion.