Notices

Do the Flames have what it takes?

Old
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Ticonderoga

vCash: 500
Do the Flames have what it takes?

Assume we make it in....

With many teams such as Dallas and San Jose upgrading, and Colorado resurfacing do the Flames have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup or even get to the final four?

I think they have a small outside chance we can get to the West final as long as we get the Wild or the Preds in the 1st round.

Or are we looking foward to another 1st round exit?

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:06 AM
andy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguymatters View Post
Assume we make it in....

With many teams such as Dallas and San Jose upgrading, and Colorado resurfacing do the Flames have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup or even get to the final four?

I think they have a small outside chance we can get to the West final as long as we get the Wild or the Preds in the 1st round.

Or are we looking foward to another 1st round exit?

They will make the playoffs but they don't have what it takes to win a cup.

andy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I like this team but to say they can go 3 or 4 rounds may be a stretch. I hope I'm wrong. I think they lack the discipline to a play a committed, defensive game and lack the killer instinct to finish off teams.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Congo

It all depends on four things.

1) The team defence as a whole. Will it stay responsible? If the Flames stay responsible defensively, they have one of the keys of making it to the cup. If everything is working as it's supposed to, then the Flames are one of the scarier teams, defensively, in the league.

2) Streaky players. If most of them get hot at the right time, I.E. Nolan, Huselius, Lombardi, Tanguay, etc. then the Flames are one of the scarier teams, offensively, in the league.

3) Miikka Kiprusoff. He needs to be on the ball. This doesn't seem to be a problem for him, because he actually gets better in the playoffs. If Kipper is playing as we know Kipper can, the Flames are probably the scariest team, goaltending wise, in the league.

4) Not drawing Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, or Detroit first round. Sad, but true. Drawing any of those teams will probably be a first round exit for the Flames. This is why getting that third seed is so important.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:48 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

This team has been such a rollercoaster this year, it's hard to predict anything with them. Do they have what it takes to go on a deep playoff run? Yeah. I honestly believe they do, and we've seen games this year that would suggest they do. Will they play like it come the post-season? I don't know. I can only hope. If everyone does their part and contributes every game, they can match up well with any opponent they face.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Grannys

Im even worried about getting to the playoffs... The northwest is so close right now and Colorado has just upped their game. Plus most of the last games are division games and those are going to be tough considering we havent even done that well against our division this year. Last year we were so close to not making it when the fire was lit under Colorados behind. This final strech will be a true showcase of will we make it in the post-season. Hopefully these rough games wont give our team injuries that carry into the post like they have in the past 2 seasons. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 01:03 PM
CBanana

If we everything comes together we have an elite goaltender, two dangerous offensive scoring lines, and two especially good defensemen in Regehr and Phaneuf. The stars have to align but there's no reason to believe the Flames can't make noise in the playoffs.

CBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 01:11 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBanana View Post
If we everything comes together we have an elite goaltender, two dangerous offensive scoring lines, and two especially good defensemen in Regehr and Phaneuf. The stars have to align but there's no reason to believe the Flames can't make noise in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, I'd have to disagree with you there.

Old
02-28-2008, 01:19 PM
CBanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Unfortunately, I'd have to disagree with you there.
It's a matter of semantics and normally I hate semantics so I apologize for playing the semantics card.

There's reason to believe they won't make noise in the playoffs but there's no reason to believe they can't make noise in the playoffs.

CBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 01:33 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBanana View Post
It's a matter of semantics and normally I hate semantics so I apologize for playing the semantics card.

There's reason to believe they won't make noise in the playoffs but there's no reason to believe they can't make noise in the playoffs.

I'm not trying to suggest they can't make noise in the playoffs, it's just that the inconsistancy we've seen from them this year leads me to believe there is also just as good of a chance that they won't.

I do, however, feel more confident in this team going into the post-season than last year's. Main reason being that the Flames can actually win on the road this time around.

Old
02-28-2008, 02:37 PM
CaptainCrunch67

For a team that is so inconsistant on the ice, they sure find a way to win. I think they're something like 29-6 and something in the second half.

The only issue to me is that they almost need something bad to happen in order to get going.

They've come back numerous times from multigoal deficits.

In terms of personal, I think they match up really well with all of the teams in the West, and I think Keenan is going to be the x factor in the playoffs.

I'd almost prefer a Anaheim or Dallas matchup in the first round, because those teams force you into playing a physical game.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Airborne Troll*

As long as they don't play Detroit in the 1st round, they're okay

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Wags

My prediction: we win one round.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 04:48 PM
KiwiFlamesFan

I honestly don't know what to think. If we win the NW and get MIN, NSH, COL I think we have a good shot at making it out of the first round. The second round? Who the hell knows...

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Grannys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
My prediction: we win one round.
Fair prediction... if we make it to post season. It really sucks when you just cant tell with this team. They look great one week and the next it feels like they should be playing in the minors. If the heat really gets turned up and teams like Vancouver and Colorado stay healthy then I am worried because last season when that happened the Flames were so close to getting pushed out in the last minute by Colorado.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Wags

Over a 7 game series, I just don't think we have what it takes to beat Detroit, Dallas or Anahiem.

I think we can beat the Sharks with the issues they've had this year, Vancouver is a toss up (although not according to the season series), so is Colorado, we seem to have Minnesota's number, and I think we can beat Nashville.

Who really knows...is this team still "built for the playoffs"? Not according to last year's results, but I hope I am proved incorrect.

Old
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
AhSurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo View Post
It all depends on four things.

1) The team defence as a whole. Will it stay responsible? If the Flames stay responsible defensively, they have one of the keys of making it to the cup. If everything is working as it's supposed to, then the Flames are one of the scarier teams, defensively, in the league.

2) Streaky players. If most of them get hot at the right time, I.E. Nolan, Huselius, Lombardi, Tanguay, etc. then the Flames are one of the scarier teams, offensively, in the league.

3) Miikka Kiprusoff. He needs to be on the ball. This doesn't seem to be a problem for him, because he actually gets better in the playoffs. If Kipper is playing as we know Kipper can, the Flames are probably the scariest team, goaltending wise, in the league.

4) Not drawing Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, or Detroit first round. Sad, but true. Drawing any of those teams will probably be a first round exit for the Flames. This is why getting that third seed is so important.
I agree, I think their chances would have been better with Jokinen or Sundin down the middle but if all 4 of those things you said happen then there is a chance. Although I still think San Jose or Detroit could be beaten in the first round.

The Wings are a one line team, with an old goalie (Hasek) and a goalie that hasn't had playoff success since 1998 when he won the Cup with The Red Wings. The also have been losing a lot of close games too, even before the injuries to their D. They are still in the same league as Dallas and Anaheim but not quite as scary.

The Sharks are soft up front. Thornton has never had real playoff success. They could be really tough to beat but I'll believe it when I see it. I wouldn't put them in the category of Dallas or Anaheim.

AhSurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 09:50 AM
calgarylen13

The focus for now has to be to make the playoffs. Once we have made that objective, it is to take the division.

IF we can do that (and its a very big IF) then anything is possible. In 2003-2004 everyone was quick to rule out the Flames. They knocked off the three division winners.

If they play as they have this season, it likely will be a first/second round exit. If they start fresh, the sky is their limits.

calgarylen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13 View Post
The focus for now has to be to make the playoffs. Once we have made that objective, it is to take the division.

IF we can do that (and its a very big IF) then anything is possible. In 2003-2004 everyone was quick to rule out the Flames. They knocked off the three division winners.

If they play as they have this season, it likely will be a first/second round exit. If they start fresh, the sky is their limits.
There were some big differences between that team and this one...team speed and heart come to mind, not to mention endless grit (from all lines not just 4th line + Nolan), team defense (no Iginla waiting at the red-line), etc...

To compare the 2 teams is impossible becuase the makeup is far too different, and if you look at the teams that have "suprised" in the last few years, they all had the makeup of the 03-04 Flames, not the softer "skill" team you see today.

Old
02-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Northern Neighbour

I don't know if the Flames have what it takes to win it all this year. I'm not even sure they'll be able to make it past the first round as the competition in the West is extremely fierce.

The Flames haven't helped themselves with their inconsistent play. They haven't been able to put all five key elements together for an extended stretch - timely and balanced offense, stifling defense, great goaltender, hot PP, and excellent PK. Their special teams and defensive-zone coverage, in particular, could really hurt them in the post-season.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Flames cup chances

In 2004 we made it to the cup finals, of course. That team wasn't nearly as good as this one is. That's the faint strand of hope that has me still believing somewhere inside. Other than that faint glimmer, I fear this is not our year. Other teams bolstered their line-ups at the deadline. The Sharks did well, as did the Starts and of course the Aves. Sutter chose to do nothing. The players liked that decision but the fans....Still, anything can happen in the playoffs right? It'll be an interesting off season to say the least.

Gold Pads* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
KiwiFlamesFan

If Detroit exits in the first round and Anaheim and San Jose meet in the 4/5 match-up then then there's only Dallas and Anaheim/San Jose to worry about. If we were to get to the second round though, we would probably get one of those three teams.

What I'm trying to say is something like this

1 DET vs 8 COL (COL wins)
2 DAL vs 7 NSH (DAL wins)
3 MIN vs 6 CGY (CGY wins)
4 ANA vs 5 SJS (ANA wins)

2 DAL vs 8 COL
4 ANA vs 6 CGY

Whichever way it goes we will have to go through at least one of DET, DAL or ANA.

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Well tonight the Flames showed that they can compete with the Ducks.

They imo can compete with the Stars too, but I still have my doubts about the Wings, when healthy the Wings are almost unstoppable.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 12:09 AM
saillias

vCash: 50
This team can't be compared to the 03-04 team. For one, no one ruled them out. Media all around North America played up the underdog card so hard we became a favourite. Everyone was scared of Kiprusoff and how the Flames were the team everyone didn't want to play, hardest working team in the league, all that stuff.

We were a lot better than our 6th place finish indicates... Kipper only played 38 games(?) When he played, I believe we had the second most points in the league behind Detroit. Kipper was way above any level he's played at since, even in his Vezina season.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 12:57 AM
iceman_88888888

without a doubt: NO!
i'm not a flames fan and it'll take a lot for me to cheer for the shames but hockey is life for me.
this year's edition of the flames do not look that good. their only consistent scorer is iggy. if teams shut him down, i don't see anyone else picking up the slack. there's no version of marty gelinas on this team. the d doesn't play consistently. kipper more than likely will be exhausted after playing 75 games this season. and keenan may have worn out his guys with his grating coaching style.
if nolan, lombardi, and huselius can pick it up and the d can tighten up like they have started to, i think they can get to the 2nd round but it's gonna be a tough battle coming outta the first round if they have to play against the wild. they match up well against the ducks and the wings but i don't like their chances outside of that.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote