HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

New Coach?

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Shibumi

vCash: 500
New Coach?

Assuming that Kevin Lowe doesn't fall down the stairs at Rexall Place this evening and get brain damage, I think he will be firing some coaches in the next few hours.

Who would you like to see the Oilers hire to replace MacT? Pat Burns, Keenan, Ron Low, etc etc etc.

I would like to see Pat Burns coach here.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:21 AM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi
Assuming that Kevin Lowe doesn't fall down the stairs at Rexall Place this evening and get brain damage, I think he will be firing some coaches in the next few hours.

Who would you like to see the Oilers hire to replace MacT? Pat Burns, Keenan, Ron Low, etc etc etc.

Oddly enough Ron Low

Old
02-01-2004, 05:22 AM
The Rage

Quote:

To paraphase something Lowe said a few days ago "I'm not going to give MacT a vote of confidence because he's doing a great job. You only need to give a coach a vote of confidence if he is doing a bad job." MacT will be around for ATLEAST one more full season. That is very sad, but very true.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:25 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
Oddly enough Ron Low
There's a lot of MacT haters here, including yours truly, but Ron Low is even worse than MacT. Low has failed twice, never accomplished anything, and just isn't that smart. I have no idea who would be the ideal coach, but we need to go the Calgary route and get a "name coach." Coaches are very underpaid, yet very important, and for a small market like ourselves, we need to spend our money on a great coach.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:27 AM
zamboni

NO MORE of this Boys On The Bus, promoting from within crap!

Old
02-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Shibumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
To paraphase something Lowe said a few days ago "I'm not going to give MacT a vote of confidence because he's doing a great job. You only need to give a coach a vote of confidence if he is doing a bad job." MacT will be around for ATLEAST one more full season. That is very sad, but very true.

If that is the case then as much as it pains me to say this, Kevin should go as well then. Friends or not, Kevin has to step up and do what is right for the team. It is his job to do so.

I think at the end of the day Kevin will do the right thing and show MacT, Billy(I still don't know why he is here)Moores, and Craig Simpson the door. What the hell, Kevin should go behind the bench for the rest of the season to help himself evaluate and separate the talent from the brain dead morons. :mad:

Old
02-01-2004, 05:30 AM
goldenchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage

i agree with you. I am not sure a 10 game losing streek would cost Mact his job he is the John Gotti of the NHL: "the Teflon Don"

Old
02-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
Personally, I don't see how you guys can heap all the woes on MacT's shoulders. This Oiler team is guilty of letdowns, terrible goaltending, not skating etc. Yes, I know... blame the coach, not the players that do it. Leadership is the problem, but I don't feel its off the ice. I put it all on the leadership on the ice. Smith hasn't been a very good captain at getting the guys charged up. I remember an Oiler team a couple years back that had less talent than this one, won ten games in a row, ubeaten in fourteen and made the playoffs. Dougie Weight was the Captain then, and he had a team meeting on the ice, and said that this wasn't good enough, and that he was the guy that had to step it up the most. Tonight LA was talking about how they play as a team, and thats why they are winning. Wow... imagine that. Thats what is wrong with this team. I watched no fewer than 25 passes that were either to far ahead, blind, or behind the player to receive them. MacT isn't the one out there making the passes..... the players have to execute! Besides.... who the hell else ya gonna get at the price MacT works for??? Don't you guys realize the only reason he is in Edmonton is loyatly to the city, and the fans??!!! God... show a little loyalty back!

Old
pucklove

If Mac.t goes then maybe they can get Rich Preston out of Calgary....

Old
Rooks Oilers

I Vote Ted Nolan! or even LARRY ROBINSON!

Old
02-01-2004, 05:35 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

exactly and that is what bothers me the most. maybe lowe has to go as well. the direction the organization is headed is not good, the way it is going the next thing that could happen is watching the oilers become a portland team. i watched this team suffer during the mid 90s and alas i believe this team is headed down the same road again.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:58 AM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Paul Marice i change my vote

Old
02-01-2004, 06:20 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
Paul Marice i change my vote
That's Paul Maurice, and he now has two votes.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:28 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Wouldn't you like to see what I'd do to that team first???

Old
02-01-2004, 06:30 AM
fuhr

Quote:
You're not serious? I'd rather the Oil go 0-82 than play god awful "Pat Burns Hockey"!!!!!!!

Old
02-01-2004, 06:33 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Normally I wouldn't say anything like this, but with the tide now so much shifted, I'd just like to flat-out go with the I told you so.

MacTavish should've been gone in the offseason, he can't coach his way out of a paper bag and everyone should have known it then like some of us did.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Mike Keenan

Old
02-01-2004, 06:39 AM
nineteen79

Larry Robinson,good teacher of the game and likes to work with young players.Can you imagine larry working with our future blueliners Lynch,Green,Woyitka and also Brewer and Semenov.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Lowetide

The problem isn't that MacT can't coach, it's that he can't coach this club (imo). He's much better with a more veteran group, the team he inherited with Weight-Smyth-Guerin and that all world checking line.

Anyway, they tuned him out months ago and if Lowe is going to stand by MacTavish it probably means some unpopular decisions like sending out Hemsky and letting some good talent like Chimera go for very little in order to make room for players the coach would like to play.

As for coaches, John Paddock. He'd be ideal imo.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The problem isn't that MacT can't coach, it's that he can't coach this club (imo). He's much better with a more veteran group, the team he inherited with Weight-Smyth-Guerin and that all world checking line.

Anyway, they tuned him out months ago and if Lowe is going to stand by MacTavish it probably means some unpopular decisions like sending out Hemsky and letting some good talent like Chimera go for very little in order to make room for players the coach would like to play.

As for coaches, John Paddock. He'd be ideal imo.
IMHO, the only MacT gets fired from this club is if Lowe joins him at the same time. I really don't know if Lowe has it in him to let MacT go once it gets to brass tacks.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:08 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
IMHO, the only MacT gets fired from this club is if Lowe joins him at the same time. I really don't know if Lowe has it in him to let MacT go once it gets to brass tacks.
The only way I see a coaching change is if MacT steps down personally.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
The only way I see a coaching change is if MacT steps down personally.
Yeah, I suppose it could go that way too. I think the heat is definitely on these guys, and it's only going to get hotter on the BBQ after this choke job.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:16 AM
ToothlessAggression

I don't think I've ever heard this idea come up... How about Adam Oates? This is a half joke, but maybe it could work out, who knows.

Can somebody tell me what it was that got Ted Nolan fired, I remember hearing something about the situation but I can't seem to recall what it was.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Shibumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergize
I don't think I've ever heard this idea come up... How about Adam Oates? This is a half joke, but maybe it could work out, who knows.

Can somebody tell me what it was that got Ted Nolan fired, I remember hearing something about the situation but I can't seem to recall what it was.

The rumour I heard (and I stress the word rumour) is that he was dipping his pen in company ink, rubbing another man's rhubarb if you will.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
Mike Keenan
Now we're talking! Someone who shares my views: we need an extreme solution, and Keenan is just that, someone to scare the hell out of the underachievers. I think he could turn Brewer around.

Or Robinson. Or Quenville, if he gets the shaft in St. Louis. Right now, anybody but MacTavish.

Closed Thread