HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NO Comrie, no playoffs!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 06:21 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
NO Comrie, no playoffs!!!

I know you guys will all disagree, but I said that at the beginning of the season when the holdout began. Oates has been a bust, and Ulanov great. But it all boils down to the fact that this team lacks leadership, and we miss a playmaker/goalscorer like Comrie. Lowe got nothing immediate for him. I guess we wait for the future again. I sure hope the future is bright, cause I am really frustrated with this team. Yorkie is gone, our best player by far. Izzy got hurt tonight, god knows how long he will be out. J.Smith, and Ryan Smyth have done little or nothing all season. Staois took a huge hit, what a loss that would be if he was out. To say I am dissatisfied would be an understatement. It all boils down to this though... everytime MacT says that its a huge game, a must win, this team finds a way to lose it badly, and Salo plays his f$#^&%$ worst! Look at Nashville last week, two goals on three shots..... brutal!

Old
02-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
I know you guys will all disagree, but I said that at the beginning of the season when the holdout began. Oates has been a bust, and Ulanov great. But it all boils down to the fact that this team lacks leadership, and we miss a playmaker/goalscorer like Comrie. Lowe got nothing immediate for him. I guess we wait for the future again. I sure hope the future is bright, cause I am really frustrated with this team. Yorkie is gone, our best player by far. Izzy got hurt tonight, god knows how long he will be out. J.Smith, and Ryan Smyth have done little or nothing all season. Staois took a huge hit, what a loss that would be if he was out. To say I am dissatisfied would be an understatement. It all boils down to this though... everytime MacT says that its a huge game, a must win, this team finds a way to lose it badly, and Salo plays his f$#^&%$ worst! Look at Nashville last week, two goals on three shots..... brutal!
I'll disagree with one thing for sure. Smith has been huge this season. I also disagree Comrie has anything to do with, other than possibly the distraction aspect of it.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:24 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Again - what would you have suggested Lowe get for Comrie? Roster player doesn't equal immediate help unless he's at least a top 6 forward or top 4 d-man. It's was painfully obvious long before Comrie got traded that he wasn't going to bring that kind of return. And now that the trade's done, that's already been confirmed.

So you would have been happy with a 3rd/4th liner in return?

Yeah, having Comrie right about now would be nice. But that was never going to happen. And either was getting a replacement for him in return.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:25 AM
windowlicker

Quote:

What would have Comrie provided for us up to this point?? Hmm? 12 goals and a minus-14 rating?? You think right now Edmonton would be 6th or 7th with him in the line-up? MacT would still be up to his old tricks, and with how much those 2 got along, im sure the chemistry would have been smooth.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
What would have Comrie provided for us up to this point?? Hmm? 12 goals and a minus-14 rating?? You think right now Edmonton would be 6th or 7th with him in the line-up? MacT would still be up to his old tricks, and with how much those 2 got along, im sure the chemistry would have been smooth.

As I said, I knew you would disagree... but last years team had alot more heart, a much better penalty kill, and could win some big games. This years team can't. So, either we miss Comrie, or we miss Marchant.... I guess you guys have to decide!!!!!

Old
02-01-2004, 06:29 AM
zamboni

No doubt in my find that we miss the offense by Comrie. In a perfect world, he'd still be playing here, sans the attitude problem.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:35 AM
mrush

its not cause comrie were not going to make the playoffs, its because reasoner got hurt, if he never got hurt, this team would be completely different. reasoner is so underrated by a lot of fans, not hf members but just edmonton fans in general, i talk to fans and they dont know nothing about half the players except for the edmonton players its disgusting. when reasoner fell, the whole team died imo, the pk was no longer, oates was signed even though we dont even play him at all we could have just called up someone from the farm and pay oates like 200k to teach us how to win faceoffs since thats all he has improved since he's come here.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:36 AM
The Rage

Belcriss, I don't agree with the Smith evaluation, or with the implication that we could have gotten immediate help for Comrie, but I do think the season would have been very different if Comrie was here. Check these two top lines:

Torres-York-Dvorak Amazing line.
Smyth-Comrie-Hemskey Would have been amazing.
Imagine Hemskey with two goal scorers and Smyth in a position where he did not have to carry a line.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:39 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Torres-York-Dvorak Amazing line.
Smyth-Comrie-Hemskey Would have been amazing.
Imagine Hemskey with two goal scorers and Smyth in a position where he did not have to carry a line.
no offense, but smyth-comrie-hemsky wouldnt be that great smyth isnt that talented even though they had good chemistry hemsky and smyth, i rather trade smyth (since torres is like smyth but so much better already)
and have
rita-comrie-hemsky, now thats a line with all talent, who cares about the defense part they would create more chances than give up, and just make sure a good pairing of d was on when they were on.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:41 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
Don't get me wrong... Smith is a great defenceman for us... I just don't find him the leader that this team needs.... unfortunately... I can't think of anyone else on our team that I would put the C on.. .Ryan hasn't done much of anything this year.... maybe Staois.... or Moreau...... and thats brutal that I feel those are our only two choices otherwise... nobody is stepping up out there!

Old
02-01-2004, 06:44 AM
mrush

Quote:
Don't get me wrong... Smith is a great defenceman for us... I just don't find him the leader that this team needs.... unfortunately... I can't think of anyone else on our team that I would put the C on.. .Ryan hasn't done much of anything this year.... maybe Staois.... or Moreau...... and thats brutal that I feel those are our only two choices otherwise... nobody is stepping up out there!
no one can step up becaus ehe plays the same players over and over again, i can almost predict what line is coming on next because mac t is stupid. he doesnt know how to coach, i cant believe we still have him as a coach after all this time, he had 3 subpar seasons yah he got us 90points, so what, it was only good for 8th place, and we cant win a playoff series, thats why i hate the oilers organization and wish i was rich so i can buy the oilers and fire mac t and maybe klo if he doesnt be the gm i want him to be.

all of us who want mac t to get fired should just buy the oilers and fire him. it would probably be such a good feeling. sad that he lost a job but better for the team. mact should realize he isnt helping the team at all.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:44 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
no offense, but smyth-comrie-hemsky wouldnt be that great smyth isnt that talented even though they had good chemistry hemsky and smyth, i rather trade smyth (since torres is like smyth but so much better already)
and have
rita-comrie-hemsky, now thats a line with all talent, who cares about the defense part they would create more chances than give up, and just make sure a good pairing of d was on when they were on.
Smyth has struggled, but he can play very well if he's with good linemates. And you got to be kidding me if you think Rita is better than Smyth. Rita's best ahl season was 25 goals, Smyth can score that many NHL goals in an average year.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:14 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

If Comrie's here, we have nowhere near the amount of problems we're having now.

Many of you under-value him so much it's almost sickening. But I guess you're much happier with your Shawn Horcoffs, don't let me disagree with your hockey knowledge..........

Old
02-01-2004, 08:36 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
If Comrie's here, we have nowhere near the amount of problems we're having now.
We're still going to have the inconsistent goaltending and shoddy team defense... So perhaps Comrie's presence means one thing less; I don't think that means a whole lot in the grand scheme of the Oilers' ability to have success on the ice. There's still a lot of problems elsewhere.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:44 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
We're still going to have the inconsistent goaltending and shoddy team defense... So perhaps Comrie's presence means one thing less; I don't think that means a whole lot in the grand scheme of the Oilers' ability to have success on the ice. There's still a lot of problems elsewhere.
True enough, but there's more offence (possibly alot more), our lower lines are better, and there's no distraction or scape-goat for ignoring the fundamental problems with the team.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:45 AM
oilforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Again - what would you have suggested Lowe get for Comrie? Roster player doesn't equal immediate help unless he's at least a top 6 forward or top 4 d-man. It's was painfully obvious long before Comrie got traded that he wasn't going to bring that kind of return. And now that the trade's done, that's already been confirmed.

So you would have been happy with a 3rd/4th liner in return?

Yeah, having Comrie right about now would be nice. But that was never going to happen. And either was getting a replacement for him in return.
It could have happened with a different GM.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:42 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
You have to tackle problems one at a time. Comrie would have solved one big problem, his replacement, Oates, didn't even postpone the need to find a solution.

Inconsistent goaltending could have been addressed while Salo was injured. Instead the plan was to use Conklin until Salo came back in the hopes that Salo would find his game. Well, he didn't and the problem still remains.

The PP remains a joke. We are still ranked 30th. This problem started last year and they have been working on solutions all year, to no avail.

The trend I'm seeing is the deficiences remain because the solutions don't work. I ask you, who comes up with these solutions and if they continue to come up with failed solutions shouldn't we get someone who can get it right? Maybe Patrick LaForge will post an answer?

Old
02-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Jerky Leclerc

If Lowe had traded Comrie to Anaheim, the Oilers might be looking at a top 5 pick right now and a chance to get Ovechkin.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:38 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
If Lowe had traded Comrie to Anaheim, the Oilers might be looking at a top 5 pick right now and a chance to get Ovechkin.
There's no guarantee the Anaheim pick would be able to land Ovechkin. 'Sides Woywitka >>>> Perry. This draft is one of those top 1-3 are hug prospects but after that from 4- 44 are very close, each with their own attributes, but won't be the complete package. Sucking like the Oilers do right now, and having the Philly pick as well, will get us a chance at a Green or O'Neil or Wolski and get Dubnyk or Montoya with the other.

GXL

Old
02-01-2004, 04:39 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
There's no guarantee the Anaheim pick would be able to land Ovechkin. 'Sides Woywitka >>>> Perry. This draft is one of those top 1-3 are huge prospects but after that from 4- 44 are very close, each with their own attributes, but won't be the complete package. Sucking like the Oilers do right now, and having the Philly pick as well, will get us a chance at a Green or O'Neil or Wolski and get Dubnyk or Montoya with the other.

GXL

Old
02-01-2004, 05:24 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
If you don't think this team is better with Comrie, you are thinking with a veil of hatred towards Comrie.

Smyth offensively hasn't been good this year, but that would be different with Comrie here. Like him or hate him, he creates a lot of offense, for both himself and his teammates. He finds opens spots and loose pucks and even though some of his goals are ugly, he gets them.

Not only that, but he scores clutch goals. He isn't the king of the 5th goal in a 5-1 win, or scoring 2 goals in a 6-2 loss... he gets game winning goals, game tying goals, and the goals that put you up by 2.

Yes he had shortcomings defensively... but if that is your argument, I really hope you aren't the same people who are chastizing Mac-T for wanting Hemsky to be more accountable defensively.

I still don't know the full story, only a couple of people do... Lowe tried to get something this year to help his team, but it wasn't working out that way, which is why it took until December to trade him.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:25 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Or Edmonton would watch Anaheim shoot past them in the standings, not get a top 5 pick from Anaheim, and get a lesser prospect in return....

Plus he would be -1 on the 3rd round pick front instead of +2.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If you don't think this team is better with Comrie, you are thinking with a veil of hatred towards Comrie.

Smyth offensively hasn't been good this year, but that would be different with Comrie here. Like him or hate him, he creates a lot of offense, for both himself and his teammates. He finds opens spots and loose pucks and even though some of his goals are ugly, he gets them.

Not only that, but he scores clutch goals. He isn't the king of the 5th goal in a 5-1 win, or scoring 2 goals in a 6-2 loss... he gets game winning goals, game tying goals, and the goals that put you up by 2.

Yes he had shortcomings defensively... but if that is your argument, I really hope you aren't the same people who are chastizing Mac-T for wanting Hemsky to be more accountable defensively.

I still don't know the full story, only a couple of people do... Lowe tried to get something this year to help his team, but it wasn't working out that way, which is why it took until December to trade him.
Very good thoughts here....Comrie was clutch, he played well with Smyth and he could score...when the Oilers announced the Comrie trade for....for basically nothing for this year...that's when I threw in the towel for the season as an Oiler's fan...last night's loss justifies my views...Comrie may be a selfish jerk, but I think we're better with him than without.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilforme
It could have happened with a different GM.
How?

Old
02-01-2004, 07:06 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
How?
Lowe could have talked money with Comrie, he has admitted that they never discussed money, and, who knows, Comrie's hurt feelings might have then been set aside.

Lowe could have admitted that he had overeacted in criticizing Comrie after the playoff loss. Takes a big man to do that but for the sake of the team he could have done it. But he didn't do that either.

Lowe could have stuck to his guns and kept him till he was 31. Or he could have kept him until the trade deadline.

He could have allowed Comrie to go to training camp, similar to the Smyth situation.

He played a brinkmanship game with Comrie/Winter by signing Oates and asking for $2.5M from Comrie.

Publically, Lowe let this situation get personal. What did he do in private, who knows because no one is talking.

Bottom line, a player said I want to leave and Lowe let him. Wonder what Hemsky's thinking? Probably this is going to be easy.

That's my short list on what a different GM could have done differently.

Closed Thread