Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Where are you guys from?

Old
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima87 View Post
Lack of skilled workers? Where are you getting this from? Russia has the most higher education graduates in Europe man. You ave absolutely no idea what you're talking about with that one. And Russia's economy is one of the fastest growing in the world in case you didn't know.

lack of skilled workers....
I see two big problems in this area that need to be corrected.

1. The productivity of the Russian workforce is not up to West's level. Some of this is because of the lacking infrastructure which decreases the productivity of the workforce.

2. Russia still loses too many educated young people to the West and Russia is not able to replace them in their own economy. It's not nearly as bad as it was in the 1990's but the trend is still there. Russia cannot afford to lose its most economically and scientifically talented people abroad if it wants to be a superpower. Russian businesses need to able to pay better salaries in order to keep these people in Russia.

Face it guys, all of you live and work in the West. You can be patriotic Russians, but by living and working in the West you benefit Western economies (which can be somewhat hostile to Russia) and not the Russian economy. Your patriotism in Internet hockey boards does nothing to your Mother Russia.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Mn, you really have no idea *** you are talking about.

"As a result of great emphasis on science and technology in education, Russian medical, mathematical, scientific, and space and aviation research is generally of a high order."

Most acadmic graduates in Europe,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...-thousands.jpg

I agree that Russia has lots of talented and educated people. Russian school system is still pretty high level.

But a high education does not necessarily translate into an economic success. Russia has yet to come up with a company that became a global success story outside of the energy field. Russia needs to keep their most talented and creative people in the country, offer them good business opportunities and environment, and encourage them to do business and integrate these businesses into the World economy.

They also need to lessen the bureaucracy which burdens the society, swallows a big portion of the educated workforce and increases corruption.

Russia has done great in the last eight years with Putin in office. They have gone a long way from a bankrupt failed state to a stable, growing economy. But they have not reached their full potential yet and this potential will never be reached unless some of these major structural problems are solved first.

Old
03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Berkut

Send a message via MSN to Berkut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
I agree that Russia has lots of talented and educated people. Russian school system is still pretty high level.

But a high education does not necessarily translate into an economic success. Russia has yet to come up with a company that became a global success story outside of the energy field. Russia needs to keep their most talented and creative people in the country, offer them good business opportunities and environment, and encourage them to do business and integrate these businesses into the World economy.

They also need to lessen the bureaucracy which burdens the society, swallows a big portion of the educated workforce and increases corruption.

Russia has done great in the last eight years with Putin in office. They have gone a long way from a bankrupt failed state to a stable, growing economy. But they have not reached their full potential yet and this potential will never be reached unless some of these major structural problems are solved first.
You are 100% right, but...building institutions and establishing a law state takes time (the building blocks of economic efficiency). 8 years is way too short to assess the performance of the Russian economy, let alone predict its future evolution.

I think it goes without saying that, at the moment, most of the growth comes from the energy sector. High tech and manifacturing sectors are still not comparable to western economic powers, but with the ressources Russia has, it can only go up from here on. Look at IT boom in Novosibirsk for example, it came out of nowhere.

Berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 05:48 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
8 years is way too short to assess the performance of the Russian economy, let alone predict its future evolution.
It should be 17 years since communism fell in 1991. But the 1990's were wasted under Yeltsin and his cronies and Putin inherited his mess in 2000 when he became the president.

What Russia needs is decades of stable development with no wars and revolutions. This is what the new president Medvedev preaches about and he is right. No stupid revolutions or disastrous wars but stability and continuous economic growth.

I have to admit that I find it a bit scary that Western governments are protecting and sheltering rich revolutionaries like Boris Berezovsky who are open about plotting a revolution in Russia. it brings back memories of Lenin and Trotsky who also had the protection and support of the Western governments in the late 1910's before they launched the Bolshevik revolution in Russia.

Does Berezovsky and co. present a real threat to Russia similar to the one of the Trotskyitis Bolsheviks in the 1910's? I hope not, but it is better not to underestimate it. I find it quite irritating that these people enjoy the full support of the Western elite who would love nothing more than to see the current regine in Russia thrown out of power. What if Russia starts to protect Osama Bin Laden in a similar way?

Old
03-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Wow, I thought you lived in Sweden or in Latvia, it is kinda surprising that you are actually living in Russia, then why are you cheering for Swedish youngsters?
Begun to support them when I was a child. Because I have swedsih roots and like that style of the game maybe?
Funny that all that time I stayed a Russian soccer NT supporter.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Dima87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Begun to support them when I was a child. Because I have swedsih roots and like that style of the game maybe?
Funny that all that time I stayed a Russian soccer NT supporter.
You like Sweden's style of play more than Russia's? Why?

Dima87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Since this turned politcal. Can someone translate to english?

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 01:03 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

i will be brief

good evening!

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Slick Nick

Born in Tbilisi, USSR... most of my family comes from Krasnodar/Rostov area though!

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Born in Tbilisi, USSR... most of my family comes from Krasnodar/Rostov area though!
A cossack?

Old
03-06-2008, 03:45 AM
HalfOfFame*

Is it little bit boring to live in Russia?

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 06:02 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:

Rostovites take you in

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Dima87*

Quote:
Holy crap, that makes 4 of us.

Old
03-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Dima87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOfFame View Post
Is it little bit boring to live in Russia?
Have you ever hung out or partied with Russians? No one parties like Russians do, so now Russia isn't boring.

Old
03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Have you ever hung out or partied with Russians? No one parties like Russians do, so now Russia isn't boring.
but can russians party without vodka?

Old
03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Dima87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOfFame View Post
but can russians party without vodka?
Bro, no people in the world are like Russians when it comes to personality, hang out with some Russians with or without alcohol and you'll have a good time.

Old
03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Bro, no people in the world are like Russians when it comes to personality, hang out with some Russians with or without alcohol and you'll have a good time.
i wouldnt say that. bad and good people are everywhere same as boring and not boring people

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Dima87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
i wouldnt say that. bad and good people are everywhere same as boring and not boring people
I'm saying that Russians in general know how to party, ever heard of the 'Russian Soul' ?

Bad and good people? Maybe I'm biased but Russians imo are the best and most generous people in the world.

Old
03-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
I'm saying that Russians in general know how to party, ever heard of the 'Russian Soul' ?

Bad and good people? Maybe I'm biased but Russians imo are the best and most generous people in the world.

Biased? Nah, just really humble

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:11 AM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:

WELL, that is interesting dude. you may know that many nations would not agree with that one.

and what comes to Russian soul, i think every nation think their own soul is the best.

mayby im just generalising, but my experiments about russians are not on the top of my life experiences.

Old
03-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Pushkin*

Pskov roots here. CSka78= CHECHNYA

Pushkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:

I thought it was an excuse we made up for drinking all the time, doing stupid thing because of lack of rationnality, vodka, send Gagarine in space, gambling and losing, vodka, Tchernobyl, Dostoievski, sudden 3 months depressions every year, vodka, beating the crap out of the mongols, Tcheburashka, samogon, Tchaikovski, adekolon, unprotteced sex, etc.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote