HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playing up for Randy

Old
02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
pughater

vCash: 500
Playing up for Randy

Randy Jones should maybe switch positions cause he must think he is Bobby Orr all the time and every time he does it he ends up making a bone head move. He shouldnt be playing so many key minutes cause he is a liability with his offensive first mind.

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:32 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
isnt this your second "i hate randy jones" thread?

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
I really like Jones since he has started to jump up. He makes "some" bonehead moves, but I've also seen him create a bit of offense.

Yertle The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:42 PM
pughater

this isnt a hate jones thread its a suggestion

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:45 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pughater View Post
this isnt a hate jones thread its a suggestion
Oh please....go take your rampant Jones hatred to another board. It's become quite boring.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:52 PM
CantSeeColors

God help me, but I think I'm warming up to Jones. Either I'm not watching as intently - which is possible given the fact that I'm generally reading constitutional law during the games - or he's cutting down on the bonehead plays. I have to make an effort to get angry with his play these days. I think something might be wrong with me.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:19 PM
27roenick97

if this is the type of play we're going to get out of our third pairing d-man, let me be the first to say we should be ecstatic about it. he's got 26 pts this year on third pairing duties. some guys that don't have that many pts: brent seabrook, kim johnsson, liles.

albeit a few less games coburn has only one pt more and timonen has six more. don't get me wrong, jones should't be in the same sentence as those two (and look, he isn't), but he is productive. when he pinches, i almost always say **** what are you doing jones? but think about it: how many times do those pinches end up causing a goal in our end? not nearly as many times as you would think.

i'm on the randy jones bandwagon. contrary to what you say, he is waaaaaaaay better than bundy and we should lock him up for a few more years.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:33 PM
kicksave27

i don't mind him with kuks, since kuks can cover for him after a bad pinch or giveaway. Just keep him away from the other teams top lines.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:34 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
i don't mind him with kuks, since kuks can cover for him after a bad pinch or giveaway. Just keep him away from the other teams top lines.
Jones and Kukkonen on the 3rd pairing playing 17 minutes is more than fine by me.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 11:36 PM
hockeyphan25

I don't understand what your problem is with him, his offensive play has been really good and while his pressing does create offensive chances for the other teams at times (as it did even when Bobby Orr played, not comparing just saying) he does a good job recovering most of the time.

If you don't want him to press, this is on the coach. I'm pretty sure Jones isn't going against Stevens when he decides to pinch or take charge. Yes I believe Stevens has actually made a smart decision in that regard.

I don't think you realize how good he's been. I think you've even mentioned that you play D so I would think you would appreciate his play. It probably has to do with your like for D only Dmen. Many of us seem to notice the few times his risks turn into opportunities for the other team but don't notice the little plays that he makes that either create scoring opportunities for us or at least keep the puck in the zone. He does an exellent job at the blueline to keep the puck in the offensive zone. There are numerous times when the play looks dead and he manages to keep the puck in. When you watch the next game try to pay attention to the dmen keeping the puck in the zone. You'll notice that he's the guy that does it most of the time. Even Timmonen seems to be out of position when it comes to keeping the puck in when we have good pressure going (I realize Timmonen is playing a safer game but there are many times when we have good pressure going and the puck goes to the blue line and nobody's home, this does not happen as much when Jones is out there). I think Jones has been our best dman in that regard. He also has been very good with his stick in blocking passing lanes and poke checking.

The bottom line is that Jones is actually a good young defenseman with a good attitude who will likely be cheap to keep.

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:25 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
I was always in between with Jones. However he has looked better in these last 2 games. I actually think he's decent at carrying the puck into the zone. He seems to sometimes rush the play though. It's very common for a younger player but it is easier to grow out of than fundamental mistakes.

Last edited by ApeZilla: 02-29-2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: can't spell good ( < on purpose...grammar nazis )
ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:37 AM
McNasty

I can't complain about Jones, most of us didn't understand how he would be in the lineup over Picard at the beginning of the year, and he has at least proven me wrong. Hes still developing but I'm happy with how he has played.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 01:05 AM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

On the 3rd d-pairing with Lasse. I like it.

I am no a big fan of Jones, but I am beginning to come around...slowly...

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Jones and Kukkonen on the 3rd pairing playing 17 minutes is more than fine by me.
Definitely. He provides some offense here and there and as long as he's not out against the best players his mistakes on defense can't be exploited too much.

I just laugh now when he panics in the offensive zone and makes a completely ******** play. I just say "oh that Jones".

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Jones does suck but on the third pairing he can beat up on the other team's scrubs and contribute pretty well on offense. Jones and Kukks make an ideal third pairing... the type of third pairing that good defenses have. It's when you have those two playing first pairing minutes that the issues start to occur.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 07:54 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I just laugh now when he panics in the offensive zone and makes a completely ******** play.
An adult would never use the word "********".

He, for the past five games, has consistently been making bad decisions with the puck at the point when pressured, which is perplexing since I think there are only three options and the decisionmaking process don't seem like it should be complicated.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 08:13 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Jones does suck but on the third pairing he can beat up on the other team's scrubs and contribute pretty well on offense. Jones and Kukks make an ideal third pairing... the type of third pairing that good defenses have. It's when you have those two playing first pairing minutes that the issues start to occur.
Agreed. I will admit my opinion of him was wrong. I didnt think he would ever even become an NHL player, but he has now developed into a solid 3rd pairing guy, if he is paired with a good defensive guy like Kukkonen. He should be playing 12-13 minutes a game in my opinion, and some 2nd unit powerplay time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Or "waambulance"

Quote:
He, for the past five games, has consistently been making bad decisions with the puck at the point when pressured, which is perplexing since I think there are only three options and the decisionmaking process don't seem like it should be complicated.
Always has...just has streaks of games where he looks great.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 08:20 AM
scottymac223

Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
For whatever reason I think Jones has a great deal of trust in Kukks. He seems more comfortable playing with him.

Agreed he is having some trouble at the point. His fumbling at the blue line in the middle of the 3rd Not a good place to make a mistake by the way. But last night he and Kukks played solid.

I have no problem with his journeys into the offensive zone. He seems to understand what Joni never did. He doesn't just skate in around the net and give the puck up. He always seems to be looking around to make sure a winger has "picked up" for him.

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:

An adult would have proper grammar. An adult wouldn't use ****ing smilies to make their point.

Seriously dude, I probably have more education than you, don't call me out on language. It's a casual environment.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:21 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Heh, I admit also. I was never a Jones fan. He hasnt been to bad lately though...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Heh, I admit also. I was never a Jones fan. He hasnt been to bad lately though...
Ditto that. I'm probably his least favorite fan to be honest, but I've got to hand it to the guy. Especially after last night. I know he had his mistakes, but he at least looked like he was trying, not to mention a few good moves he pulled.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
An adult wouldn't respond with "Blow Me," yet we had you doing it the other day. Please do keep up this line of response to people as the irony is awesome.

Quote:
That's how he always plays... Jones' method of defense is attempting to avert one disaster after another... sometimes it works by opening up play, other times it turns into a mess. He's got some good physical skills, but he doesn't think the game very well... never has.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Kaktus*

Jones plays much better this season then he did last season. I do not hate him but at the same time I do not care if he stays on the team. Do not care much for 6'2 players who play small.

1. Richards
2. Umberger
3. Lupul (if not for injury I would make him 2nd)
4. Coburn (turned his game around big time)
5. Carter and Jones

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-29-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Seriously dude, I probably have more education than you, don't call me out on language.
It's not a good word to use.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
It's not a good word to use.
neither is flagellation as you used it... given that it has religious and erotic overtones.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote