HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

cup continuity

Old
02-29-2008, 11:28 AM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
cup continuity

Just a thought and yes it's a bit out there. With Brisebois being the only member of this team who was on our last Stanley Cup team, and assuming (and praying) he doesn't come back next year. If we don't win this year that would break a long string of continuity with regard to this team always having a player on the current winning team and the previous one. Obviously, it was easy in the 50's 60's 70's, but it'd be a nice tradition to continue (obviously). Does anyone know the real stats, I'm guessing here cause, yes I'm a fan but I'm not a stats guy.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Darz

The string of continuity was broken when Brisebois left the first time. We went two years without a player on the roster who hadn't won a cup with the team.

02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
henri2014

well last year we didnt have any guy on the roster that had won the cup in 1993. We still have both Carbo and Muller that did on the team staff tough..

henri2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
The string of continuity was broken when Brisebois left the first time. We went two years without a player on the roster who hadn't won a cup with the team.
Actually I meant just returning players to winning teams so the rosters of 93-06 don't matter, just like the ones from 86-92 wouldn't. Thanks

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:45 AM
znk

Interesting point. Would be a shame to break this.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Actually I meant just returning players to winning teams so the rosters of 93-06 don't matter, just like the ones from 86-92 wouldn't. Thanks
Alright..although until Brisebois left two years ago, we had an amazing streak of keeping a Stanley Cup winner from our previous win on our roster the entire time since our first Stanley Cup win!!!

But using your criteria, we should still be safe after this year, cause we will be hoisting the Stnaley Cup this June!!!!!!!!

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
ti-vite

I would doubt Breezer gets any ice time in the playoffs so his name would not be on the cup...(assuming this is right, I remember Savard a f ew years ago...?)

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 12:24 PM
znk

Well...we have continuity behind the bench. So it's all good.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
KostyBrosFan

Yeah, or we can trade for Chris Chelios, he was in our 86 habs... i bet he can play for another 10 years

KostyBrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 01:13 PM
1986Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Just a thought and yes it's a bit out there. With Brisebois being the only member of this team who was on our last Stanley Cup team, and assuming (and praying) he doesn't come back next year. If we don't win this year that would break a long string of continuity with regard to this team always having a player on the current winning team and the previous one. Obviously, it was easy in the 50's 60's 70's, but it'd be a nice tradition to continue (obviously). Does anyone know the real stats, I'm guessing here cause, yes I'm a fan but I'm not a stats guy.
Assuming that the lists of names at http://www.gohabs.com/cups.htm are correct, it looks like the Habs' only Cup-winning team that didn't include a member from the previous Cup-winning team was the 1943-44 edition.

Of course, this was also the only time (before now) that the Habs had gone more than 8 years without a Cup!

1986Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
1986Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
I would doubt Breezer gets any ice time in the playoffs so his name would not be on the cup...(assuming this is right, I remember Savard a f ew years ago...?)
I thought that players who had played in at least half of the team's regular-season games or in at least one game in the Stanley Cup finals were eligible. Can anyone confirm? If so, then Breezer could make it if he were to play in 6 more games. Oh, and I suppose we would also have to win the Cup...

1986Habs is offline   Reply With Quote