HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2009 Entry Draft: Gainey's plan?

Old
02-29-2008, 10:31 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

vCash: 500
2009 Entry Draft: Gainey's plan?

Hi guys,

I was discussing the Huet trade with StrikIX yesterday, when he reminded me that the 2009 NHL Entry draft will be held in Montreal (part of the 100 year celebration I guess) and then it occured to me :

The habs now own an extra 2nd round pick in that draft, that makes for :
1 1st pick (in the 20-30 Range, assuming we finish in the top 10 of the league)
2 2nd picks(Montreal's in the 50-60 range...Anaheim's also in the same range)

Do you think those three picks can be enough to trade for a higher spot in the first round and if not, what other asset(s) (player(s) and/or draft pick(s)) would be needed in order to get that high pick (TOP 5 ) ?

I just get the feeling that the 100 years celebration, draft in montreal, stanley cup run and the whole atmosphere of that year just calls for a pick that will carry the franchise for years to come...not only an Impact player, but a Franchise player...

Wishful thinking? Maybe

discuss

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
Hi guys,

I was discussing the Huet trade with StrikIX yesterday, when he reminded me that the 2009 NHL Entry draft will be held in Montreal (part of the 100 year celebration I guess) and then it occured to me :

Do you think those three picks can be enough to trade for a higher spot in the first round and if not, what other asset(s) (player(s) and/or draft pick(s)) would be needed in order to get that high pick (TOP 5 ) ?

I just get the feeling that the 100 years celebration, draft in montreal, stanley cup run and the whole atmosphere of that year just calls for a pick that will carry the franchise for years to come...not only an Impact player, but a Franchise player...

Wishful thinking? Maybe

discuss
I honestly don't think Gainey is even thinking about the '09 draft yet. Ditto Timmons. Timmons is focused on the '08 crop, and Gainey is planning the parade route for sometime in June.

02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
Hi guys,

Wishful thinking? Maybe

discuss
Wishful thinking. Most teams that fall into the top 5 are legitimately bad and need their own Franchise player, so they're not trading one. Montreal doesn't have one because we've never finished in the Top 3, which is where the real Franchise players are usually picked.

Carey Price was taken at #5, but that was the luck of the draw.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Nitehowl

With the amount of young talent coming up we may have excess players which can turn into a few more picks in 09 but I would imagine most teams will be reluctant to part with an 09 1ST. I believe that Colorado gave an option to Columbus to switch 1st's in 08 or 09 so that may be the first one.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote