HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospects Discussion (Juniors, NCAA, RSL, ECHL etc - No Pack Discussion)

Old
04-13-2008, 12:13 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The CBA prohibits that sort of thing, which is why we can't just buy him out of his contract. If Cherry did break his contract, he would still be bound by Russian law to pay back Omsk. Unless he did so, he probably couldn't go back to Russia and in either case, he could probably forget about ever playing for the national team again.
didn't malkin just leave his team in the middle of the night when they were in the czech republic the year after the lockout and go to Pittsburgh? I don't remember the entire story.

EDIT: Yes, Malkin did. He had signed a 1 year contract and left his team when they were in Finland. Apparently there is a loophole in Russian Labor Law that states that you just have to give your team or employer 2 weeks notice before getting a new job or signing a new contract, which he did with Pittsburgh. In the middle of the season his Russian team filed an antitrust lawsuit against the Pens and the NHL in the US District Court in NY. A motion for an injunction was denied and was dismissed by the court. There is precident right there for any future cases.

I don't know if the NHL has made any rule changes since then though. He also played in the 2007 World Championships for Russia.

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 04-13-2008 at 12:21 AM.
UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
didn't malkin just leave his team in the middle of the night when they were in the czech republic the year after the lockout and go to Pittsburgh? I don't remember the entire story.

EDIT: Yes, Malkin did. He had signed a 1 year contract and left his team when they were in Finland. Apparently there is a loophole in Russian Labor Law that states that you just have to give your team or employer 2 weeks notice before getting a new job or signing a new contract, which he did with Pittsburgh. In the middle of the season his Russian team filed an antitrust lawsuit against the Pens and the NHL in the US District Court in NY. A motion for an injunction was denied and was dismissed by the court. There is precident right there for any future cases.

I don't know if the NHL has made any rule changes since then though. He also played in the 2007 World Championships for Russia.
Russia passed a law since then closing that loophole. If Cherepanov cuts out of his contract they can sue him and his chances at ever playing for the Russian national team go out the window. Also this would not be a good move for the Rangers since they might have a lot of trouble dealing with the teams of Russian players they draft in the future.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
From Blueshirt Bulletin:

Quote:
Cherepanov said in an interview of his own that he will remain in Russia one more year. "I want to make the situation clear once and for all," he said. "A final decision has been made to remain in Omsk for a year. I have a contract with Avangard and I intend to work through it to the end. Ranger representatives do not allow me to forget about them: they call periodically, they're interested in my affairs and plans. Of course, I want to prove myself in the best league in the world. And I will do so at the first opportunity. Much depends on Bardin's negotiations with the American side. But most likely I will leave for the NHL in a year."

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 12:15 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Halifax begins their 3rd round series on Saturday.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 04:14 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

If anyone is interested, Russianprospects.com has a game-worn Cherepanov jersey for sale (Omsk away jersey...the dark blue one).

I inquired about it myself and found out that the price is $1450 USD. That's a bit too steep for me, but thought I would pass the info along.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Good to see he thinks he will be here next year.

I'm fine with him playing in the RSL next year.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Forechecker

Now, we all know that Jess Rubenstein over at Prospect Park can be a homer at times, although I've seen him rip prospects for underacheiving, but I thought this quote from today's Prospect Park was particularly uplifting:

Quote:
Oh and before we go, we have the advantage of seeing these kids before the rest of you. If you like these prospects (Dubi, Cally, Staal, Dawes, etc.) then just wait until you see the next wave of Ranger prospects as they are even more talented than the current group.

Old
04-17-2008, 08:33 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Now, we all know that Jess Rubenstein over at Prospect Park can be a homer at times, although I've seen him rip prospects for underacheiving, but I thought this quote from today's Prospect Park was particularly uplifting:
Well aside from Staal; anisimov, cherepanov, and sanguinetti all do have higher ceilings. I continue to believe that Drury is going to have to move to wing before we see anisimov on this team.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:04 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Ryan Hillier is going to be a good NHL player.

He gets over looked, but watch out for him.

Next year he will have a big rookie year in the AHL.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Let's hope that Jess is right... We could certainly use some high-end prospects to fill the roster out in the next year or two.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:22 PM
TrampsLikeUs

Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Also this would not be a good move for the Rangers since they might have a lot of trouble dealing with the teams of Russian players they draft in the future.
This is my main concern. It's not worth it to so blatantly shoot ourselves in the foot to bring one prospect, phenom though he may be, over a year earlier.

TrampsLikeUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Ola

Quote:
IMO, none is as talented as Marc Staal. Besides Lundqvist we haven't had anyone that talented in this org since maybe Kovalev. Staal was a stand out at the WJC's for concecetive years. He got great size and attitude too.

Dubinsky have developed tremendously just over the course of the last 2 seasons.

At the same time, after Staal -- in terms of raw talent, I would certainly say that Sangs and Chere got atleast as much potential as Dubinsky got, and more potential then Dawes got. Anisimov is also up there. Korpikoski is also not that far of Dubinsky, but he also got to take that next step. I know some don't agree with me on that one, but I think he do. He is now at the same level as Dubi where last season. Compare Dubi in the NHL last season and in the NHL this year -- he have improved a ton. If Korpi can do that same, he's the next one to have that type of impact...

But with Chere, Sangs, Anisi and Korpi there are no gaurantees. Like I knew Staal would step in right away, and I knew Lundqvist would be great. Thoose 4 all got upsides and downsides. Just like Dubi. Its all about commitment and good coaching.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 05:44 PM
squishy

Quote:
Graham's three-year contract with the New York Rangers has expired and there's no word yet whether the National Hockey League club plans to re-sign him. His career is in a state of limbo and could remain that way for several more weeks leading up to his July 11 wedding.

"I'm just happy to be home and see some family and friends. There's a bunch of former Wildcats now in the pros so it'll be good to see those guys again. We're going to train together this summer in Moncton. I think a realistic goal for me is to spend all next season in the AHL.''
Good luck with that Bruce.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...article/272588

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 05:53 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Its all about commitment and good coaching.
DAMN RIGHT!!! Imagine if we had Schmuckler as coach or GM? We'd probably still have Holik...

It's amazing how committing to developing our prospects has rewarded so quickly... Kudos to Sather for also surrounding our homegrowns with respected leaders (Gomez, Drury, Shanny, Straka, etc)... I'm confident to say this team was built skillfully for the Playoffs, and we're seeing the fruits of that right now...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 08:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

People like to give Renney grief, but..

The truth of the matter is that without Renney, most of these kids wouldn't be making the smooth jump from AHL to NHL.

The organization made sure that Renney's system is in place at both levels making the transition for the young players easier.

All they need to do upon arrival in the NHL is play the system and everything else takes care of itself. And if you notice ALL of the young players that we have, play a very simple game. They don't try to do too much. They stick to the game plan and that is why they are succeeding. Credit a lot of their success to the coaching staff.

The turn around of the organization is as much a credit to Renney's as an intelligent coach and player developer as it is a credit to good drafting by Sather and staff.

Because Renney DOESN'T throw fits like a child in a toy store, and he keeps his head on straight reflects on his players not panicking. He and his staff lead this team.

I'm proud and happy of the whole organization and the direction they have been going in.

Old
04-20-2008, 12:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Halifax lost last night 2-1 in OT in game 1.You can watch game 2 tonight at 7 here

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index...d_partie=14667

When the game starts,a link appears on this page which allows you see the game for free

Old
04-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Halifax lost last night 2-1 in OT in game 1.You can watch game 2 tonight at 7 here

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index...d_partie=14667

When the game starts,a link appears on this page which allows you see the game for free
hmm, is that just for this game? or do they show all their games on that site?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 04:13 PM
bmoak

Jess at Prospect Park reports that Hillier was hurt in Game1

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 06:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
hmm, is that just for this game? or do they show all their games on that site?
All of the playoff games.

Old
04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Jess at Prospect Park reports that Hillier was hurt in Game1
Yup and he missed game two.

Old
04-22-2008, 09:57 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yup and he missed game two.
crap.

how bad of an injury?

Old
04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
crap.

how bad of an injury?
He skated before game 2, so probably not that bad. Prospect Park is saying he'll return for game 3.

Quote:
Late News: Ryan Hillier is going to play in Game 3 against the Gatineau Olympiques. More Wednesday morning.

Old
04-22-2008, 10:45 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
He skated before game 2, so probably not that bad. Prospect Park is saying he'll return for game 3.
Good

Thanks

Beyond Cherepanov and Sangunetti, he and Wiikman (although he needs to be signed) are my favorite Ranger prospects.

Hillier is my dark horse to be an impact player and become a 2nd line player for the Rangers. He has the size, skill, and smarts to do it.

Old
04-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

Hillier is my dark horse to be an impact player and become a 2nd line player for the Rangers. He has the size, skill, and smarts to do it.
when do you think he could make the rangers

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
when do you think he could make the rangers
2010 at the earliest. He's going to need at least one and likely two seasons in the AHL.