HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospects Discussion (Juniors, NCAA, RSL, ECHL etc - No Pack Discussion)

Old
03-05-2008, 12:38 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Here's the game-winner from today's game: http://video.hawk.ru/080305_ao_dinamo_3_2.wmv

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 12:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Russia lost their case over Malkin because previously contracts in Russia weren't binding like they are in the US (though they don't seem very binding sometimes lol). After they lost that case, they changed the way contracts worked to make them binding.

Breaking Chere's contract has to be a mutual agreement between both him and the team. Without that agreement, things could get very messy. But the question is, would they block him from coming over? At most all they can get from him is one more year then his contract is done anyway. Would they want him on the team for one year when he clearly doesn't want to be there?

Of course, there is the matter of compensation to Avangard and without a transfer agreement, I don't know how that will work out. Anything the Rangers agree to pay might have to go against the salary cap, if it's even allowed under the CBA.

Worst case scenario is he has to play one more year in Omsk and then he comes over. But I'm hoping that Chere's agreement to play this year for Avangard means they already have mutual understanding and they will release him from his contract.
You're new here

Quote:
According to Cherepanov's agent, Jay Grossman, the Rangers wound up benefiting from league-wide fears that were unfounded. Contrary to popular belief, Grossman told the Daily News that Cherepanov not only will be permitted to leave his Russian team to play for the Rangers next season but that an agreement to that effect already is in place.

"In this case, we have an agreement with the club (Omsk) and Alexei has an agreement with the club that they will allow him to come over here after (the 2007-08) season," Grossman said yesterday morning at Nationwide Arena before Rounds 2 through 7 of the NHL draft
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...sian_over.html

A transfer fee going against the salary cap

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Ola

This is a typical situation from the WJC. Russia got the puck under controll in their end and is just about to start a transition play, the other team had just like made a linechange so they had allot of time, but at about their own blueline they give up the puck and a player on the other team gets it with like 3 guys around him but can still get the puck down deeep again before Russian won it back. During this entire incident Chere stood still in the neutralzone almost leaning against hte boards...

I've never seen something like that from a player at that level, and I am probably never gooing to see it again. Any other guy would have skated in circles atleast, kept his feet moving. But Chere probably thought "what da heck is gooing on" and took a spectator seat.

And it wasn't a isolated incident. Chere does it at times. Something goes wrong, he sees that there isn't a pressing need for him to backcheck. He don't feel like skating around just for show so he stops.

We have all seen Bäckström and Kane in the NHL this season -- Cherepanov is arguebly more skilled then thooes 2, or on par with them atleast. The big diffrence is that we got Chere 17th overall. There are reasons for that, besides a transfer deal, we shouldn't forget that.

Cherepanov is a special player. He defenitly got some aspects in his game that would/should be characterized as diva-tendencis.

He is also very weak physically.

Besides that, unlike many experts have suggested, he don't got any weakness IMO. He can play defense. He is defenitly willing to take a hit to make a play. He can take allot of hits and it only seems to make him better. He's willing to go deep in his own end to get the puck up ice. He is as good of a sniper as he is playmaker. Once he forechecks he is a really good forechecker. Hegets in really fast and is great at lifting a stick and take the puck away clean. He works really hard when forechecking. Heck he even hits at times.

The kid got tons of potential, but also some flaws.

Last edited by Ola: 03-05-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Ola

gagline- With the rookie cap its hard to "buy" Chere from Omsk.

Lets say Omsk would want 1.5m USD to release Chere one year in advance. We could pay Chere a extra 1.5m USD as a signingbonus so that he could send that money to Omsk. With the rookie cap we can't do that.

But like someone said; you never know with these kind of situations. Torpedo let AA go for free. Omsk might too.

Old
03-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
gagline- With the rookie cap its hard to "buy" Chere from Omsk.

Lets say Omsk would want 1.5m USD to release Chere one year in advance. We could pay Chere a extra 1.5m USD as a signingbonus so that he could send that money to Omsk. With the rookie cap we can't do that.

But like someone said; you never know with these kind of situations. Torpedo let AA go for free. Omsk might too.
Wouldn't it be just a transfer payment from the NYR to the Omsk?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 01:43 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You're new here

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...sian_over.html

A transfer fee going against the salary cap
Interesting. I hadn't read that, but I think I'll still take it with a grain of salt until I actually see it happen. Unless they've actually changed or redrafted his contract I would think Omsk would be free to change their minds at any time.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 01:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Here's the game-winner from today's game: http://video.hawk.ru/080305_ao_dinamo_3_2.wmv
Wow. More impressive even than the pass (which was nice, no question) was the move in the corner. You don't really get a good view of it until like the third replay in the sequence, but Cherry beats the D on a foot race into the corner, stops on a dime while the D slides by, snags the puck and goes up on one skate to pull it somewhere between 180-270 degrees for the pass to his teammate in the circle. It happens so fast that the goalie is just getting set as the shooter lets go of the puck.

I hear what everyone else is saying about him coasting and the potential reasons why. Whatever they are, get this guy over here and in a blueshirt ASAP!!!

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Wouldn't it be just a transfer payment from the NYR to the Omsk?
Legally, Cherepanov is obliged to fullfill his contract with Omsk, right? If he wanna break it its he who legally must make up the damages he causes them.

If Slats pay Omsk money that Cherepanov should have paid them -- that salary according the CBA.

Old
03-05-2008, 02:59 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He does glide, but I don't think it's lack of effort as much as lack of...hmm, knowledge of what to do without the puck, perhaps.

I think he just needs some good coaching to teach him how to be useful when he doesn't have the puck instead of just gliding into position.

It's not a direct comparison, but if you look at Nigel Dawes last year and the start of this year in the NHL, he was very much uninvolved without the puck, but the Rangers got him to start playing smarter and be more useful when he's not on the puck.
don't worry if he makes the team next season renney will play him 8 mins a night so colton orr can get those ever-so-valuable shifts with under 5 mins left in the 3rd period like he did last night

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Legally, Cherepanov is obliged to fullfill his contract with Omsk, right? If he wanna break it its he who legally must make up the damages he causes them.

If Slats pay Omsk money that Cherepanov should have paid them -- that salary according the CBA.
Interesting, hadn't thought of it that way.

Old
03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
don't worry if he makes the team next season renney will play him 8 mins a night so colton orr can get those ever-so-valuable shifts with under 5 mins left in the 3rd period like he did last night
Yeah, because Renney hates playing kids... just look at Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan, Staal, and Girardi.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:20 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

man cherepanov is amazing...i love this kid. I have huge hopes for him here.

So is he definetly coming over at the end of his playoff run with omsk next year?

I cant wait, I want a cherepanov jersey and I hope he picks #7

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post

So is he definetly coming over at the end of his playoff run with omsk next year?

#7 is retired by the Rangers, remember Gilbert? I think his other number is #17 but Dubinsky's got that one. So I kind've wonder what his other number is.

Btw, is he really a better playmaker or goalscorer? Just curious.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:28 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
#7 is retired by the Rangers, remember Gilbert? I think his other number is #17 but Dubinsky's got that one. So I kind've wonder what his other number is.

I would love to see him be cocky and take a number like 97 or 77 or something.

I always like high numbers for skill players.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:29 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post

He is not a puck hogger...hes a very good passer, but his release of the puck makes him a instant goalscorer

my only problem with him is, he still looks kinda skinny...i dont want him to become a maxim afinogenov type player but more of a frolov/kovalev/ kovalchuk

Old
03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
GAGLine

Hey, what do you know, I did have a clue what I was talking about:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=488192

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-with-the-nhl/

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:33 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

i would buy his jersey right away if he took 77

Old
03-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
Chere would be a good fit with both Gomez and Drury. I would defenitly not mind Cherepanov getting his first taste in the NHL with Drury as his godfather.

Old
03-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Unk

Quote:
i would buy his jersey right away if he took 77
Ah yes, just like Phil Esposito! The beginning of a HHOF career for our Russian maybe?

Hm, yeah, I think Cherepanov might start out with Drury. Gets a chance to play with a good hardworker. Also it seems Drury works with players to create chances for him. Ah, we'll see.

Btw, other then his conditioning and defense does he need much more work? Does it really make any sense to bring him over to play in the AHL next season or let him score in the RSL for one more?

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I think when Cherepanov comes and understands English Drury will be a good influence on his work ethic and conditioning.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Chere would be a good fit with both Gomez and Drury. I would defenitly not mind Cherepanov getting his first taste in the NHL with Drury as his godfather.
The thing that kills me with Gomez & Drury's lines are how their wingers are slowing them down. AA and/or Cherepanov on a line with either of those guys will be a drag race on ice.

Old
03-05-2008, 03:54 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Hey, what do you know, I did have a clue what I was talking about:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=488192

No, really folks... pay attention to the article GAGLine posted the link to:

Quote:
Under the new law, the article continues, the athlete can still get out of a contract, but only after compensating his employer. The law will go into effect on March 30.

Thus completes the process begun by the Russian Parliament over the summer of bringing Russian labor laws governing athletes in line with North American labor codes. As Russian Hockey Federation head Vladislav Tretiak — a member of Parliament who co-sponsored the bill — says in the article, “The early dissolution of the contract between the athlete and his employer on the initiative of athlete without valid reasons now will bind the latter to pay off to the employer solid compensation.”

In other words, “Hands off, NHL.”

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 04:01 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

how about * 27 *

Does that number look familiar on a Russian player?

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
how about * 27 *

Does that number look familiar on a Russian player?
27 and 77 were the numbers I thought of immediately

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 04:16 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
Quote:

ah my friend i have his AO jersey i got it on russianhockeyjerseys.com, it only cost 86 bucks if you're interested

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote