HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007-2008 Hartford Wolf Pack Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Amazing job, Squish!

Old
03-06-2008, 03:26 PM
SPG

Wow, squshy! Great stuff!

Old
03-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

awesome post, as always squishy

Old
03-06-2008, 05:32 PM
NYRMatt

I love squishy!

Your the reason why I'm so excited for majority of our prospects. 2 years ago I didn't even know they exsisted in our system here. Now, I sit here getting great info on their development from you!

THANKS A BUNCH!

Old
03-07-2008, 06:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Pack assistant coach J.J. Daigneault said Potter, who started last season with Charlotte of the ECHL, is the team's most improved defenseman thanks to an upgrade in nearly every phase of his game. Though Potter has never been a major offensive threat, his all-around ability is helped by a crackdown on obstruction-like penalties.

"I've always liked Pottsie, even when he went to Charlotte, because he has a lot of qualities to succeed in the new game," said Daigneault, who works with the defensemen. "He has an active stick that makes him good around the net and corners, he anticipates well and has good awareness, getting his stick in passing lanes. And he has a good, long stride that looks smooth but not all that fast, but he's very efficient. He's a fast skater who likes to be first on dump-ins and keep puck possession in the process
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,4147346.story

Old
03-07-2008, 10:29 AM
squishy

The Pack will be without their captain tonight:

Quote:
Friday night, the Pack take on the stingiest defense in the entire AHL in the Houston Aeros and they'll do it without captain and most productive player of late, Andrew Hutchinson, who was injured in the Portland loss on Sunday evening. Ryan Constant, as disclosed yesterday has been recalled to take his place. The extent of the injury or how long Hutchinson will be sidelined has not been disclosed by the team.
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...ern-style.html

During the game on Sunday Hutchinson missed a few shifts... I'm pretty sure Crawford said he went to the locker room to get stitches for a cut on his hand at the time... (or was that Saturday's game?)

Old
03-07-2008, 01:31 PM
nyrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
The Pack will be without their captain tonight:

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...ern-style.html

During the game on Sunday Hutchinson missed a few shifts... I'm pretty sure Crawford said he went to the locker room to get stitches for a cut on his hand at the time... (or was that Saturday's game?)
damn it, I was looking forward to seeing Hutch tonight.

Old
03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
squishy

Is anyone actually able to get the Pack game via satellite? For those considering the B2 feed, it looks like it's the FSN feed, so it's pretty good quality, looks like there will be multiple camera angles, etc, not the usual "on the cheap" feed. Could be a good night to spend the $6.

Of course, with Hutchinson out, it could be a bad night to watch the Pack, so purchase at your own risk.

Old
03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Is anyone actually able to get the Pack game via satellite? For those considering the B2 feed, it looks like it's the FSN feed, so it's pretty good quality, looks like there will be multiple camera angles, etc, not the usual "on the cheap" feed. Could be a good night to spend the $6.

Of course, with Hutchinson out, it could be a bad night to watch the Pack, so purchase at your own risk.
I just checked and wow... I'm getting it. Thanks for the heads up

Finally get to watch some of the prospects

Old
03-07-2008, 07:56 PM
nyrage

1-0 Aeros. one guy in front of the net scored with four Wolfpack players standing around. Artem looks huge. Bourret and Dupont are hitting everyone in sight.

Old
03-07-2008, 07:57 PM
nyrage

Gratton hit the post earlier with a wide open net

Old
03-07-2008, 08:05 PM
nyrage

Potter has been hanging out in the opposing crease - odd for a defenseman

Old
03-07-2008, 08:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Houston has a player named Clayton Stoner.

Old
03-07-2008, 08:19 PM
squishy

Sloppy period by the Pack. Not sure what Gernander was doing with the lines, they were all over the place. Anisimov is getting more ice time than usual, he was out with the spare forwards a couple times and usually just skates his shift on his regular line. Potter is really trying to step up in Hutchinson's absence -- he's jumped up on the rush more in this period than he usually does in a game. Bourret left with trainer Damian Hess with around 6 minutes to go in the period, don't think he's been back. On the goal, did it look to anyone else like Moore might have actually put that in off another Pack skate as he was trying to clear it?

Old
03-07-2008, 09:09 PM
squishy

Was it something I said? Where'd everyone go?

Old
03-07-2008, 09:21 PM
squishy

Looking at the stat sheet, Brust got a penalty for diving for his attempted back flip when Byers shoved him at the end of the period. Edit: On refresh, it looks like Byers got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty as well.

Old
03-07-2008, 10:44 PM
NewYork4life

Byers

Byers took 2 roughing penalties and a game misconduct. Byers might see a suspension coming but the other player did get right up and skated off so maybe he'll get off the hook. I don't think he should get suspended I would of done the same thing!

Old
03-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

outside of the byers incident, this was the most boring hockey game ive ever seen.

Old
03-07-2008, 11:17 PM
nyrage

I just got back from the game. It was a bit of a dud. What did the Aeros end up with, 12 shots or something like that? We seemed to be in their end most of the game, but couldn't capitalize. The Pack certainly had their chances.

Byers might get a suspension. That was kind of cheap. The Aeros player turtled and Byers lifted him off the ice and slammed his head against the ice. I'm surprised that they only announced only 2 minutes for roughing.

Some random thoughts:

Anisimov looked huge, but was knocked down a few times. He's got skills.

Bourret and Dupont were throwing their bodies around, but not much offense. Bourret was hit quite a bit, too.

I thought that Sauer and Potter looked really good. Baranka made a bad play that resulted in a 3 on 1. Pock's defense still looked suspect.

LeNeveu was never tested. That goal we gave up was atrocious. The Aeros player scored from his knees while battling two Pack players with another two standing around him and just watching.

Gratton looked better than what I had read about him. He had an early chance to score though and blew it.

Parenteau has nice AHL skills.

Jessiman was mostly invisible. Lauri didn't do much either. Moore had an off night, too.

Owens played hard, but looks overmatched. Constant got clobbered a few times. He has to learn to keep his head up.

Old
03-07-2008, 11:26 PM
nyrage

Also, the Sauer fight wasn't much of a fight. Lots of clutching and grabbing. Sauer kept his shield on and it made me think about the Flyers.

Early in the game, Dupont pulled a Messier on some guy that tried to check him. Dupont got him square on the jaw with an elbow.

Old
03-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrage View Post
Also, the Sauer fight wasn't much of a fight. Lots of clutching and grabbing. Sauer kept his shield on and it made me think about the Flyers.

Early in the game, Dupont pulled a Messier on some guy that tried to check him. Dupont got him square on the jaw with an elbow.
the only player that impressed me on either team was Brodie. I felt he had a very strong game.

But, what do i know, its not like ive ever seen a hockey game before.

Old
03-08-2008, 12:10 AM
NewYork4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
the only player that impressed me on either team was Brodie. I felt he had a very strong game.

But, what do i know, its not like ive ever seen a hockey game before.
No just like to blow things out of context!

Old
03-08-2008, 12:37 AM
squishy

Game 63: Hartford Wolf Pack 0 @ Houston Aeros 1

Game 63: Hartford Wolf Pack 0 @ Houston Aeros 1
For the third consecutive game the Pack got off to a slow and sloppy start, allowing their opponent to take a first period lead and forcing themselves to play from behind. Tonight they had to do it without captain Andrew Hutchinson, who missed the game with a hand injury and did not travel to Texas with the team, and Alex Bourret, who's been battling a foot injury and was forced out of the game in the second half of the first period.

Earlier in the first Houston's Ryan Hamilton got the only goal of the game at the 9:25 mark when Greg Moore inadvertently put the puck on his stick in the crease as he attempted to clear it during a scramble in front following Hamilton's initial shot. Despite being outnumbered 4 to 1 in the crease, Hamilton was able to sweep the puck past Pack goaltender David LeNeveu, who picked up his second loss in as many games with the Pack,
though neither loss has been his fault. The Pack finished the period with an 11-8 advantage in shots, and both teams would struggle to match their first period shot totals through the next two periods combined in what ultimately became a snooze fest.

The second period started with the three man officiating team one man short, as linesman Paul Wilkinson did not return at the start of the period because of a bout with the flu. He did return around the halfway point of the period, he was missing again at the start of the 3rd and ultimately never returned. During his 2nd period absence, Michael Sauer and Petr Kalus squared off after Sauer took exception to a hit from Kalus, who was a physical force all night. The bout was more of a wrestling match than a fight, with few head shots connecting, but Sauer getting in a few body blows as Kalus held on. The Pack got the only power play opportunity of the period, the only full two minute opportunity they had in the game (they'd gotten a 46 second chance in the 1st), but were unable to do much against Houston's penalty kill, which is ranked 2nd in the league overall and 1st at home, with an 89.7% success rate.

The Pack played a much improved period in the second, finishing their checks, controlling the puck, and getting the better of the very few scoring chances that were given up in the period -- the shot total for the period was a mere 6-3 in favor of the Pack. At the buzzer, in a bit of foreshadowing of things to come, Dane Byers would take a tap in the back of the legs from Aeros goaltender Barry Brust, and return the favor with a shove to which Brust reacted as if shot, falling over backwards and taking Byers' feet out from under him in the process, sending both players sprawling. Aeros defenseman Clayton Stoner reacted immediately, dropping the gloves and trying to pull Byers up off the ice and into a fight, but he got nowhere with his attempt. Brust and Byers would get coinciding minors for Diving and Unsportsmanlike Conduct, respectively.

The third period continued much the same as the second, as Houston locked things down defensively, limiting the Pack once again to only six shots while putting up only two of their own. Once again the Pack had more puck possession time, and the better of the scoring chances, but that's not saying much since all but a couple of the shots came from the outside or long-range, and the Houston defense did a superb job keeping the Pack away from the few rebounds that were available.

Anyone who doubts Andrew Hutchinson has been the MVP for the Pack this season need only watch them play without him to have those doubts erased. Not only was his poise with the puck missed on the power play, but so too was his steadying influence absent from the bench. It showed most when the Pack allowed their frustrations over their 3rd consecutive loss, in a chippy, poorly officiated game, in which all manner of hooks, holds, trips and slashes went uncalled on both sides, get the best of them with 11.3 second let to play in the game. Following a scramble in front of the Houston net Byers once again shoved the Aeros' goaltender Brust, this time in response to a Brust cross check, setting off a scrum in which all players paired off. Even Brust got involved with Pack forward P.A. Parenteau before one of his teammates got in the middle. Off to the side of the net Aeros winger Benoit Pouliot drew the short straw, ending up paired off with an extremely frustrated Dane Byers. Pouliet turtled, but Byers wasn't about to leave without a fight, and ripped Pouliet's helmet off and threw a couple punches at the back of his head while he was down, then grabbed the back of his jersey and tried to pull him up out of his turtle position before throwing him back down to the ice. Byers picked up a double minor for Roughing and a game misconduct for Persisting a Fight, which was countered by a single minor to Brust for Cross Checking. With the faceoff moved outside the zone to center ice, and the Pack short a skater, any slim hope of a last minute goal was officially dashed.

Notes:
- Pack enforcer Mitch Fritz, set to return from early season shoulder surgery soon, joined Pack radio play-by-play man Bob Crawford on the air during the second period. He's been skating hard in practice and could receive doctor's clearance to return within a week or two.
- Tonight marked the first time all season that the Pack have lost three consecutive games in regulation. It was Houston's 6th straight win.

Pack Scoring:
None

Lines:
Byers - Moore - Parenteau
Korpikoski - Anisimov - Bourret
Dupont - Ouellette - Jessiman
Gratton - Owens

Potter - Constant
Baranka - Taylor
Pock - Sauer

LeNeveu / Wiikman

Three Stars:
1. Barry Brust
2. Ryan Hamilton
3. Adrian Foster

Old
03-08-2008, 12:45 AM
NewYork4life

Squishy I love your Wolfpack updates they are so good.You totally tell what happend not making things sound worse or better than they were.

Old
03-08-2008, 01:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork4life View Post
Squishy I love your Wolfpack updates they are so good.You totally tell what happend not making things sound worse or better than they were.
because this isnt the first time shes watching a hockey game...unlike me.

Closed Thread