HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with the press box boys.

Old
02-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Avim86

vCash: 500
What to do with the press box boys.

Our team is doing well , we are fast , young and healthy. We have a team built from the ground up (price/halak , above average defense with great chemistry (see bouillon/Georges) , and a extremely well balanced offense (sometimes even explosive). What do you think Carboneau will do with the likes of : Kostopoulos , dandenault , brisebois , begin/smolinski (they have there nights and I don't find they break the chemistry as much as the first 3). The habs can easily compete for home ice advantage when the youth movement is in place but carbonneau is a coach that treats his rookies like veterans (if they don't play well they end up in the pressbox) but I'd rather see georges play bad for the rest of the season then see Brisebois in the lineup , I just can't stand him...Anyone share my thoughts?

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Namso

dandenault, brisebois, smolinksi out

Keep kosto and begin as spare parts that could fill a role and rotate in and out.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
dandenault, brisebois, smolinksi out

Keep kosto and begin as spare parts that could fill a role and rotate in and out.
Or deal Dandy for a 6th-7th pick and let the others go out. Begin i'd keep as long as his body lets him play.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:08 PM
redmachine54

Keep Brisebois around in case of injury, and nothing else.

As for who plays the remaining spot at forward, IMO:

Bégin > Dandenault > Kostopoulos > Smolinski

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:11 PM
znk

Dandenault tailed off....but I was realy impressed with his first few games of the season as a forward (promted my crow eating thread) I'm confident that if he plays games in the playoffs he'll be realy physical and pay the price. But right now he's a passenger.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Avim86

I just have a feeling if we put the first 3 back in the line up it's an automatic loss I just have this gut feelings and it's bothering me.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
lamp9post

They are good insurance in case of injury, and they don't rock the boat when they are scratched, so I don't see it as a problem.

I think that Dandenault could be big contributor on the 4th line for us in the playoffs. He typically shows up in the spring.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
prevail

Do you guys really dislike Dandenault that much? He has the speed to change a play, and regain the puck after an icing, it's crucial to controlling the play

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:22 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prevail View Post
Do you guys really dislike Dandenault that much? He has the speed to change a play, and regain the puck after an icing, it's crucial to controlling the play
56 games, 12 points, -13.

Play control allright.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Please see team worst +/-.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Why do you guys still complain about guys sitting in the pressbox?

There is no limit to players we can carry anymore.. let them sit there. It's not as if they are crying out to the media. Smoke, Dandy, Breezer are all very good veterans to have incase of injury.

Brisebois is a fine #7 emergency replacement. He knows our system better than the guys in Hamilton.

Smolinski... he sucks, but if he can be a unnoticeable as he was tonight.. he's fine for injury.

Begin... A little better than Smoke because of the energy.. but I'd still rather have Chipchura in his spot.

Dandenault... A good injury replacement if we lack some speed or somehow end up with 3 injuries on defense (Assuming Brisebois & Streit are already playing back there).

Kostopolous... Definitely a keeper if we need some extra grit. He's not a good fighter.. but he will fight.

There aren't too many teams with an press-box of players as good as ours, so what's the problem?

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Philanthropist

keep the beer flowin and the hot dogs a comin'!

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by avim86 View Post
Our team is doing well , we are fast , young and healthy. We have a team built from the ground up (price/halak , above average defense with great chemistry (see bouillon/Georges) , and a extremely well balanced offense (sometimes even explosive). What do you think Carboneau will do with the likes of : Kostopoulos , dandenault , brisebois , begin/smolinski (they have there nights and I don't find they break the chemistry as much as the first 3). The habs can easily compete for home ice advantage when the youth movement is in place but carbonneau is a coach that treats his rookies like veterans (if they don't play well they end up in the pressbox) but I'd rather see georges play bad for the rest of the season then see Brisebois in the lineup , I just can't stand him...Anyone share my thoughts?
I was with you until that last point. Gorges has been amazing. He has really solidified our bottom pairing on d.

I have a hard time imaging a guy like Smolinski with his playoff experience, and a guy like Dandenault with Cup rings will sit for our entire run. I'm sure they'll have their chances, and I doubt we've seen the last of Kostopolous in a Hab jersey either. But clearly management's mentality has shifted towards giving the young guys every chance to prove themselves. And I'm happy with that.

I'd love to see Dandenault moved this summer. Smolinski and Brisebois will walk as UFAs. And Kostopolous is fine for depth.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I was with you until that last point. Gorges has been amazing. He has really solidified our bottom pairing on d.

I have a hard time imaging a guy like Smolinski with his playoff experience, and a guy like Dandenault with Cup rings will sit for our entire run. I'm sure they'll have their chances, and I doubt we've seen the last of Kostopolous in a Hab jersey either. But clearly management's mentality has shifted towards giving the young guys every chance to prove themselves. And I'm happy with that.

I'd love to see Dandenault moved this summer. Smolinski and Brisebois will walk as UFAs. And Kostopolous is fine for depth.
I think Brisebois will take a coaching job within the organization.

Old
02-29-2008, 11:38 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think you're right. Most likely be a good coach.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:49 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
I think you're right. Most likely be a good coach.
Agreed.

I'd like to see Dandy traded on draft day for a mid/late round pick. He can be a great element to several of the NHL teams, unfortunately he is not of any value to the current Montreal Canadiens team. Alot of younger, solid, better guys coming up in the system. Stand up guy and he deserves to play, just not here.

Kostopoulos, I have alot of respect for the guy he plays his heart out most of the time. But again I do not see any space for him on our current roster aside from a rotation between him Smokes/Begin.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
not hard, you leave them where they are, its exactly where they belong.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 03:28 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Do you guys really dislike Dandenault that much?
Yes. Yes I do. It's largely because of his contract, but also because I think his "veteran status" and experience caused Carbs to be overly slow and cautious before inserting more young guys who (obviously, in hindsight) deserved to be in the lineup instead.

Smolinski quietly won like 73% of his faceoffs tonight and wasn't a glaring weakness. I'd keep him, Kosto (who, despite being unremarkable, often earns his right to insertion... wait, that sounds gross), and Brisebois (eck... I feel even more gross) in the press box due to the fact that we don't have a better 7th defenseman than Breezeby for a playoff run and sometimes you need an expendable guy (Kosto) to go out and smack a few people around.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Agreed.

I'd like to see Dandy traded on draft day for a mid/late round pick. He can be a great element to several of the NHL teams, unfortunately he is not of any value to the current Montreal Canadiens team. Alot of younger, solid, better guys coming up in the system. Stand up guy and he deserves to play, just not here.

Kostopoulos, I have alot of respect for the guy he plays his heart out most of the time. But again I do not see any space for him on our current roster aside from a rotation between him Smokes/Begin.
Who would want Dandenault on a draft day if he wasnt good enough to go on deadline day, when the rosters are depleted and Hal Gill fetches 2nd and 5th? I'm absolutely certain if someone offered that for Dandy, Gainey would have jumped. Hes a depth player making 1.725 million ... name a team that would have part with that when the free agent season is just around the corner.

---

I say lock the door for now, cut Smolinski and Brisebois after the season, keep other three for depth.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 04:30 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post

I say lock the door for now, .
Well not necessairly...that's what they're their for, right? : to be ready if someone gets hurt or benched. Keep them fresh and ready to go for guys like Latendresse, Lapierre, Grabovski, Smoke, etc. to feel the pressure.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Well, you're half right. He'll take a job within the organization but not as a coach. No, he'll take a job as a spare pylon.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Well, you're half right. He'll take a job within the organization but not as a coach. No, he'll take a job as a spare pylon.
I thought that already was his job title?

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 06:34 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Yes. Yes I do. It's largely because of his contract, but also because I think his "veteran status" and experience caused Carbs to be overly slow and cautious before inserting more young guys who (obviously, in hindsight) deserved to be in the lineup instead.

Smolinski quietly won like 73% of his faceoffs tonight and wasn't a glaring weakness. I'd keep him, Kosto (who, despite being unremarkable, often earns his right to insertion... wait, that sounds gross), and Brisebois (eck... I feel even more gross) in the press box due to the fact that we don't have a better 7th defenseman than Breezeby for a playoff run and sometimes you need an expendable guy (Kosto) to go out and smack a few people around.
Besides Anaheim (maybe?) name a team with a better #7 that can step in and do so much. Breezer is an experienced player, he's an experienced playoff player, he can step in an add an offensive game, and play the point on the 2nd PP unit. I'm not saying he's great anymore.. but not many teams are as deep as us in the #7 position.

I'm sure, with a reasonable contract, lots of teams would LOVE to have Dandenault as a #7, as well.

I agree about Smoke too. He played a good enough game last night for a replacement player.