HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Wouldn't Bondra look good in a Habs uniform...eh?

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Maximus

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Wouldn't Bondra look good in a Habs uniform...eh?

Just an outside observer here but a Theo and Ribeiro owner on my auction fantasy team and so I've caught most Habs games on the dish and feel I know what I speak. But wouldn't Bondra look awefully nice on Ribeiros flank along with Dagenais....huh?. Than Zednick could play with Koivu and Ryder and move Bulis on to the third line where he' much better suited IMO.

Not quite sure what the Habs could offer the Caps but if what they got for Jagr is any indication, I would think it wouldn't take a heck of alot(maybe a future 2nd round pick and a Perreult) to entice the Caps to trade the future unrestricted FA....

I dunno, just a thought as its clearly apparent the Habs are having a very difficult time scoring goals and Bondra IMO would fit the bill perfectly and it makes perfect sense, even if he was a "rent a player" for this season only......ya think? Anyways, just my .02 cents and an outsiders opinion on the Montreal situation, cause too many well played defensive efforts and top notch goalkeeping are being wasted by the lack of one more sniper like a Bondra who could be the difference in winning those 2-1...3-2 games rather than losing the 1-0...2-1 affairs.......Any thoughts on Bondra coming to the Habs? Or do you think its a dumb idea?

-Maxie

Old
02-01-2004, 04:25 PM
hockey_nut

No to Perreault... he's not getting us an elite player. Stop trading him for elite players people!!

It'll take at least Hossa + a top pick for Bondra to beat Ottawa's offer... and that's providing the Leafs and Devils don't offer more. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Koivu, actually... but I doubt it happens anyway.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:42 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus915
Just an outside observer here but a Theo and Ribeiro owner on my auction fantasy team and so I've caught most Habs games on the dish and feel I know what I speak. But wouldn't Bondra look awefully nice on Ribeiros flank along with Dagenais....huh?. Than Zednick could play with Koivu and Ryder and move Bulis on to the third line where he' much better suited IMO.

Not quite sure what the Habs could offer the Caps but if what they got for Jagr is any indication, I would think it wouldn't take a heck of alot(maybe a future 2nd round pick and a Perreult) to entice the Caps to trade the future unrestricted FA....

I dunno, just a thought as its clearly apparent the Habs are having a very difficult time scoring goals and Bondra IMO would fit the bill perfectly and it makes perfect sense, even if he was a "rent a player" for this season only......ya think? Anyways, just my .02 cents and an outsiders opinion on the Montreal situation, cause too many well played defensive efforts and top notch goalkeeping are being wasted by the lack of one more sniper like a Bondra who could be the difference in winning those 2-1...3-2 games rather than losing the 1-0...2-1 affairs.......Any thoughts on Bondra coming to the Habs? Or do you think its a dumb idea?

-Maxie
Bondra is way too old for this team. We're trying to unload dead weight, not bring more on.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Bondra is way too old for this team. We're trying to unload dead weight, not bring more on.

Bondra will be here just for this year anyway. He's an UFA after the season and everything indicates that he'll be back at Washington next season if there is one.

I'd love to have Bondra here.. That powerplay will be back up and clicking with Bondra here. Great guy that Bondra.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
I disagree, not that he is old but if we were to bring in Bondra it wouldn't be a long term thing but merely a rent-a-player type of thing. I honestly think that Gainey is going to be a buyer come the trade deadline and why not? If we had sniper like Bondra and Theo gets rolling then you never know what can happen.

I for one would like to see the Habs get Bondra.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:48 PM
electric

There's also the money factor... the Habs aren't able to spend too much money on high-caliber players.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
There's also the money factor... the Habs aren't able to spend too much money on high-caliber players.
True but his contract is pretty much paid for and I believe he is a free agent at the end of the season so like I said he would be a rent-a-player.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Habber

I think it would be good to get Bondra if we could get him cheap, but that isn't going to be happen. There's too many teams that want him and will be willing to give up a good prospect for him.

I do, however, think BG might be looking for an experienced guy to bring in for a playoff run. We're at a point right now where missing the playoffs would be devastating to this team. Even if we don't win first round, I think just getting there will be a huge benefit.

BG is smart though and he's not going to trade away our future to do so. He'll only get someone if he can get them cheap, maybe trade away a 5th or 6th draft pick or a marginal roster player. It seems there always a guy or two available at the dealine for nothing and hopefully he can bring one in.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
No to Perreault... he's not getting us an elite player. Stop trading him for elite players people!!

It'll take at least Hossa + a top pick for Bondra to beat Ottawa's offer... and that's providing the Leafs and Devils don't offer more. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Koivu, actually... but I doubt it happens anyway.

Tell ya what Hockey Nut, not that I'd be thrilled about dealing Hossa and a 2nd round pick for instance, if I'm a Habs fan and with the prospects of getting a sniper like Bondra to play alongside either Ribiero or Koivu even if it were just for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs, I might seriously consider it. Considering how well Theo has played this year and the improvement in the defensive corps, a Bondra could be just the tonic the Habs offense needs in order to not only secure a playoff spot which is still not a certainty, but to in fact make some serious noise once they got to the dance.

IMO, Habs wouldn't be spending all too much money to rent Bondra the rest of the way and Hossa, at least to me he hasn't, hasn't shown he's going to be an elite type of player. So, when a team has a chance to do some damage in the playoffs like the Habs would if they acquired a skilled sniper like a Peter Bondra, one would be foolish to not consider doing it.

I dunno, maybe its just me but if I were the Habs, I'd definitly do it and acquire Bondra. Cause I'll tell ya what, put Bondra on the Habs coupled with Koivu,Ribiero,Zednick,Ryder,Souray and especially Theo, if I were ANY team in the Eastern Conference including the Devils,Senators,Flyers or Leafs, the absolute last team I would want to face either in the opening round or the 2nd round would be a Theodore led Canadian club. But that's just me and being a Ranger fan as I am and my boys are going to go another year withought making it, I only wish my hockey club had the opportunity to simply add a Bondra and make it hugely dangereous come playoff time.

All one has to do is see what the Hurricanes and Ducks have done the last two years come playoff time, to realize that all it takes is a red-hot goalie like a Theo and a small chip like a Bondra to go very very far....Habs, IMO, would be crazy to not attempt to get Bonzai as he'd be perfect for what they need and he wouldn't cost all that much from a futures propects point of view. I guess we'll see soon enough....no won't we?

-Max

Old
02-01-2004, 05:14 PM
tipping point

I think it was 2 or 3 years ago, Bondra refused a trade to the habs. I don't want to piss on Bondra cause he's (or was) a fine hockey player. But i certaintly don't want to see a player who doesn't want to play here in a habs uniform. Yes we need goals, but we also need character and commitment...imo, Bondra is not someone i would like to see the habs acquire....O'neill on the other hand...

Old
02-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Go Habs Go

Why would we rent Bondra? We are not playoff contenders, Bondra is gonna cost us a prospect and chances are IF we do make the playoffs, I don't see us going past the first round. If we luckily get past Toronto or Philly, we'll probably lose in the second round. If we were to acquire Bondra, it would have to be for long term if not then its pointless. I would rather acquire Stumpy for the playoffs. The chances of us going far is very slim. Teams like Anaheim are special circumstances and probably won't happen every year. So we're going to trade an asset for a small chance of going a little far in the playoffs? I'd take my chances with the Hossas or Perez.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
Why would we rent Bondra? We are not playoff contenders, Bondra is gonna cost us a prospect and chances are IF we do make the playoffs, I don't see us going past the first round. If we luckily get past Toronto or Philly, we'll probably lose in the second round. If we were to acquire Bondra, it would have to be for long term if not then its pointless.
I disagree with you. As I stated in the other post about the Ducks of last year and the Hurricanes of two years ago, put Bonzai in a Habs uniform and with all the other components in place, I'd say your club had a darn good chance of making some serious noise. I mean your not going to tell me that adding Bondra to the Habs wouldn't make them far superior, at least on paper, than those Duck and 'Canes team were.....eh?

-Max

Old
02-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Wildbeliefs

If Bondra could be had without trading away any of the core players or rookies, then I really don't see why the Habs shouldn't go for it.

If for nothing else than for profit: PO games are extra cash. A rent-a-player like Bondra could be pretty darn useful in getting us further in the playoffs, which would make Gillett happy.

But anyways, one can only dream, since the idea of picking up Bondra without giving away much isn't realistic IMO.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I disagree with you. As I stated in the other post about the Ducks of last year and the Hurricanes of two years ago, put Bonzai in a Habs uniform and with all the other components in place, I'd say your club had a darn good chance of making some serious noise. I mean your not going to tell me that adding Bondra to the Habs wouldn't make them far superior, at least on paper, than those Duck and 'Canes team were.....eh?

-Max

You're going to trade an important piece of our future for a small chance? What are you talking about? Ducks and Canes are special circumstances, it doesn't happen every year and not to everybody. It requires a tremendous amount of luck. If it happens, it happens, adding a guy like Bondra won't make that much of a difference. And if it doesn't happen (which is what is likely to happen) then we lose a prospect for no reason. If it does happen, Bondra is not the gamebreaker he used to be that could take us all the way.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
If Bondra could be had without trading away any of the core players or rookies, then I really don't see why the Habs shouldn't go for it.

If for nothing else than for profit: PO games are extra cash. A rent-a-player like Bondra could be pretty darn useful in getting us further in the playoffs, which would make Gillett happy.

But anyways, one can only dream, since the idea of picking up Bondra without giving away much isn't realistic IMO.

Of course, if getting Bondra meant giving up a 3rd round pick, then go for it. However the reality is its gonna cost us a prospect like Hossa + a draft pick. All I see is a ripoff.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Habber

Quote:

-Max
This doesn't fit in with the long term plan at all. Thinking like this will keep a team on the fringe forever. I would much rather keep stockpiling and become a force in a couple of years instead of squeaking into the playoffs and trying for an unlikely playoff run every year. If we start trading prospects and good draft picks away, we'll never reach that next level and become true contenders.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
You're going to trade an important piece of our future for a small chance? What are you talking about? Ducks and Canes are special circumstances, it doesn't happen every year and not to everybody. It requires a tremendous amount of luck. If it happens, it happens, adding a guy like Bondra won't make that much of a difference. And if it doesn't happen (which is what is likely to happen) then we lose a prospect for no reason. If it does happen, Bondra is not the gamebreaker he used to be that could take us all the way.

Well that's two, as you say, "special circumstances" that have occured in the past two years. Actually, we should include the Minnesota Wild of last year as well which would make it "3 special circumstances" of teams coming out of supposedly nowhere to defeat heavy favorites in the playoffs. I dunno about you, but 3 teams in 2 years doesn't seem so "special" as you call it and in fact proves to me that anything can happen come playoff time.

And so with that being said, why couldn't a Habs team that added a Bondra, who is still is on pace for a 30+ goal season despite his being called "over the hill" by some pundints, and how happens to have an elite goalie who could win a round or two by himself, not be able to make some serious noise come playoff time....huh?

I'm a bit vexed as to how you can't see that. Also, maybe I've been missing something but what has Hossa, for instance done thus far in his playing career, other than having a good pedigre and some good genes, that would lead you to believe that the Habs future would be sacrificed, if he was dealt away for a Bondra who no question, could be just what the doctor ordered as far as some offense......eh? I mean I understand your not willing to trade a ton of the future for Bondra who could help you win now but Hossa and a 2nd or 3rd seems not to harsh.....

-Max

Old
02-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Go Habs Go

I'm a bit vexed that you're willing to trade a piece of our future for a small chance of going far in the playoffs, that is IF we make it into the playoffs. Yes the Canes and Anaheim situations are from the last 2 years, but as far as I can remember, the NHL has existed for more then 2 years. And if I remember correctly Anaheim and Carolina didn't have much of a chance in the finals. You have to remember that if we do make it, we'll probably face Toronto, Philly or Ottawa first. Do you really think adding Bondra will give us a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to warrant such a sacrifice? I don't think Quinn, Martin or Hitchcock will be shaking in their pants because the Habs have added Bondra.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:

I'm a bit vexed as to how you can't see that. Also, maybe I've been missing something but what has Hossa, for instance done thus far in his playing career, other than having a good pedigre and some good genes, that would lead you to believe that the Habs future would be sacrificed, if he was dealt away for a Bondra who no question, could be just what the doctor ordered as far as some offense......eh? I mean I understand your not willing to trade a ton of the future for Bondra who could help you win now but Hossa and a 2nd or 3rd seems not to harsh.....

-Max

All I see is you're trading Hossa and a 2nd for a perhaps an extra week of hockey. And if you threw around prospects like that then we'll never amount to anything. A 2nd round pick alone is valuable. Even if everything you hope for comes true and we go far into the playoffs, no chance in hell we'll win the cup and in the end we'll still lose Bondra. There's a reason why teams like Ottawa or Toronto are inquiring about Bondra and not the Isles, Rangers or Atlanta.

Closed Thread