HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will the Kings do with the 1st pick?

Old
03-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme00 View Post
Lol.... ouch!

But I think DL has always been known as a player development/prospect scouting talent versus a pro player judge.
Lombardi was a pro scout for the Flyers.

Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme00 View Post
Lomboardi didn't seem to care last year when he drafted Hickey. At the time, there was much shock and "Aw" (as in aw ****) from everyone. Afterwards, I don't know if it was people trying to put a positive spin on a bad pick or if infact DL made a good choice, but some people have had a change of heart.

If we are in a position to draft Stamkos and don't, I would imagine the same thing would happen this year, followed by every justification that infact whoever we do end up taking was the right choice for the Kings.
Almost a year later, I haven't seen much in the way of support for the Hickey pick outside of terminally optimistic kings fans looking for everything remotely positive in his play. BTW, I loved reading the DL interview where is explained the reason why they took a "swing at Hickey". Not that he was the best player but that he was the best defenseman (in their opinion). I hope he doesn't do that again this year...failed franchises are littered with the refuse of players taken for "need" instead of the BPA.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 03:34 PM
jimmy1100

If we pick at:

#1- Stamkos
#2- Doughty
#3- Schenn

Personally, I like Schenn the best, but you have to take the BPA at 1 or 2 in this draft. If we end up with 1 or 2, I want Lombardi to unload a combination of Cammalleri/multitude of draft picks/throw-in prospects to get one or two of Schenn/Bogosian/NHL-ready, young defensive dman (Suter!).

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 03:42 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
...which might explain why they sucked before this season

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
Just wondering if you all would draft Stamkos or not. It seemslike you all have a plethra of good young centers.
This is not going to jinx us at all.

Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
LAKings4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginosniper View Post
Trade down with the Leafs.

Please?
Say the Kings end up with the #1 pick...the 2 options are keeping the pick or trading down:

1) If DL keeps the pick he needs to draft Stamkos...you don't keep this pick and draft anyone else.

2) If DL were to trade down, showing he wanted to draft a defenseman. What if Toronto were to offer their 1st round pick this year and next, thus giving the Kings 2 shots at Tavares...no way that deal could be turned down?

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 05:00 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Didn't DL try to trade down last year to try to get Hickey 6-7 but now one wanted to partner up, I can see that happening again.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Didn't DL try to trade down last year to try to get Hickey 6-7 but now one wanted to partner up, I can see that happening again.
The rumor was that the Kings didn't want to trade too far down because they were aware that a team not far behind was going to select Hickey.

It also goes to show you how weak the draft is that many teams felt the player they wanted was going to drop to them. A team could have moved up to take an Alzner or Gagner or Voracek, but teams felt it wasn't necessary to do that for a draft like last years which was kind of unpredictable outside of the top three.

You should really watch this video to get a sense of the going ons behind the scenes on the 07 draft, http://blues.nhl.tv/team/launch.htm?...4611&catid=179

The Blues' scouting staff acknowledges the Hickey pick as being a 'good, solid pick' in their own words and don't appear to be all that surprised by it.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 05:22 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
You're both right. Half of the posts on this board will be rationalizing it... and the other half will be from Squidward
Every post from Squidward being some form of this:

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Lanius

I think we pick Stamkos with the #1. If we have the #2, I say we trade down a couple spots and pick Zach Bogosian - right handed shot, plays all around, can drop the gloves on occasion.

Lanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Don't forget how much Dean likes to draft teammates. He's done it countless times, Simmonds and Lewis, Hickey and Holloway, Bernier and Cliche(even though it was a trade), Zatkoff and Martinez, etc etc. It wouldn't shock me to see Lombardi end up trading down to nab Jordan Eberle and or Coltan Teubert, Lindan Rowat's teammates in Regina. Eberle has 40 goals already, and Teubert is a big tough d-man with some offensive skills. Or Dean could look to add another goaltender or two to the rotation in Pete Delmas who plays with Bernier in Lewiston, or Chet Pickard who plays with TJ fast in Tri Cities.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 06:37 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
I'm not saying it was all his fault, but the Flyers seem better without him.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Yeah, it had nothing to do with the additions of Briere, Timonen, Hartnell, Smith...

I don't think it is the pro scouts job to orchestrate hockey transactions.

Lumping the Flyers' improvement over Lombardi's departure is a tad bit silly; reaching for the stars.

Old
03-01-2008, 06:48 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Almost a year later, I haven't seen much in the way of support for the Hickey pick outside of terminally optimistic kings fans looking for everything remotely positive in his play. BTW, I loved reading the DL interview where is explained the reason why they took a "swing at Hickey". Not that he was the best player but that he was the best defenseman (in their opinion). I hope he doesn't do that again this year...failed franchises are littered with the refuse of players taken for "need" instead of the BPA.
Actually that's not entirely true. I think almost every King's fan was dissappointed with the pick, and now you'll see that opinions are not as nearly one-sided. Most people will give the proverbial "bennefit of the dobt/wait and see" jargen. Also, alot of WHL followers support the Hickey pick so who knows.

I do agree with you second assesment regarding his quote. The primary objective of any franchise during the draft is BPA, not BPA per position or most definitely not BPA based on team need.

I think DL stated that his philosophy is in fact BPA, but I honestly feel that is ********.

Regarding the 08 draft, who knows if Stamkos really is the BPA in comparison to Doughty, Pietrangelo or Bogosian. Most professional scouting services seem to think so, but looking at the history of the draft, they aren't always correct.

All I know is that I HOPE I am wrong and DL truly is about BPA, regardless of position or team need. If we are in a position to draft Stamkos and he opts for Schenn because he feels Schenn is the better player then that is one thing. But if he were to choose Schenn over Stamkos because he feels he is the BPA defenseman then I hope someone slaps him upside the head everyday until the Second Coming.

Old
03-01-2008, 06:51 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Yeah, it had nothing to do with the additions of Briere, Timonen, Hartnell, Smith...

I don't think it is the pro scouts job to orchestrate hockey transactions.

Lumping the Flyers' improvement over Lombardi's departure is a tad bit silly; reaching for the stars.
I would assume their job is to give reports/opinions on which non-amateur players will or will not help a team?

Yea, I know it isn't their job to orchestrate transactions, but is it not their job to give input to the GM on which players are worth going after?

Oh, and reading more carefully I'll quote a portion of my last post:

Quote:
I'm not saying it was all his fault
So I'm also not sure who's "lumping the Flyers' improvement over Lombardi's departure". What I do know is that the Flyers aren't dead last in the NHL since he's been fired, and remind me again who is currently last?

Last edited by WhatTheFox: 03-01-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old
03-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

There was a brief feature clip on Stamkos on Coach's Corner. Showed him fighting at the CHL prospects game, scoring a goal in that game and also a hat trick from last night.

If the Kings have the opportunity to pick Stamkos and pass up on him, I'm going to question Lombardi's sanity and hope he gets the axe after another abysmal season.

And as for Lombardi's role as a pro scout with the Flyers, I seem to recall them assembling a good group of young players after trading away their veterans that season, bringing in Braydon Coburn who has really flourished in Philly.
Seeing how much of an emphasis Lombardi has of young defensemen, I'm sure he strongly urged Philly management to trade for him.

Old
03-01-2008, 07:10 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
reaching for the stars.
The Kings will not catch them this season. Bank it!

Warning: After the last draft, using the word "reaching" in a thread that involves Lombardi and a lottery pick could prove to be hazardous to your health...

Or, isn't reaching for the stars in the last draft the thing that has some folks concerned this year?

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And as for Lombardi's role as a pro scout with the Flyers, I seem to recall them assembling a good group of young players after trading away their veterans that season, bringing in Braydon Coburn who has really flourished in Philly. Seeing how much of an emphasis Lombardi has of young defensemen, I'm sure he strongly urged Philly management to trade for him.
Coburn was acquired near the 2007 trade deadline, well after Lombardi had left.

Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Coburn was acquired near the 2007 trade deadline, well after Lombardi had left.
Which would mean, the Flyers were dead last AFTER Lombardi and Hextall left the organization....

Old
03-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
did anyone of you guys Schenn in live... ???

i was very high on him, but he make some of the boneheadplays like Visnowsky, and i really dont know why, he doesnt shoot at goal from the blue line

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Idealsupra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by treize_kushrenada View Post
... to Tampa Bay - 1st overall this year and Cammy...
...to L.A. - TB's 1st, next years 1st and 2nd, and Mike Smith...

... this all depends if TB has the 2nd or 3rd overall pick this year... if they are lower than that, then no deal... im pretty sure that DL is not deadlocked on drafting Stamkos if he does get the 1st overall... with Schenn, Doughty and Stamkos as top 3, i doubt DL can make a mistake with any of them... if DL was blindfolded and he had to pick one of the 3 names on the board, i doubt hell miss... TB gets Stamkos this year and a young scoring winger, and we get either Schenn or Doughty... 2 chances of getting Tavarez or Hedman next year, an early 2nd rounder and a starting net minder... some of you probably are not sold on Smith but hes an improvement over the 2 clowns we have now... buy out cloutier and let JLB be the back up... nothing against JLB but he hasnt been the answer for us... i dont know about some of you guys but im thinking positive next year... with Smith in goal, i think we will be fighting for a playoff spot... sure we need some work on defense and hopefully DL can resolve this but the offense is there... the young guns have proven that they can carry the offense and score... its pretty much defense and in goal that has let us down... if we had won some games in dec and won half of our games against phx, we would probably be in the thick of things in the west... but this all depends on TB...

Um riiight. Feaster would lose his job before the deal is even done just for LISTENING to this deal.

Moving up ONE FREAKING SPOT is NOT worth a starting goaltender that for all intents and purposes we JUST traded away a franchise center to GET. PLUS our first round pick this year AND you want our 1st AND 2nd round picks for next year? I REALLY want some of what you are smoking. Seriously. Thats insane.

Cammy would be worth MAYBE a 2nd round pick. MAX. So to move up that one spot you want Smith, and 2 1st round picks.

Idealsupra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
You're both right. Half of the posts on this board will be rationalizing it... and the other half will be from Squidward
And we all know which ONE will be right.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Every post from Squidward being some form of this:
Fortunately for me I have a few months to prepare for the worst.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme00
What I do know is that the Flyers aren't dead last in the NHL since he's been fired, and remind me again who is currently last?
That is very incorrect. The Flyers were dead last last season (you know, the first season without Lombardi). Also, Lombardi wasn't fired; the Flyers agreed to let the Kings hire him.

Quote:
Which would mean, the Flyers were dead last AFTER Lombardi and Hextall left the organization....
Indeed; you beat me to it. On top of that, the Flyers have been worse (30th overall last season and 18th this season) than they were with Lombardi (9th and 6th overall)... not that there's any correlation, which I'm sure that there isn't.

Last edited by Osprey: 03-02-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Tadite

Well lets be honest. So far DL hasn't exactly lit a fire on the NHL. And so far our only real hopes in terms of prospects are still DT picks....

The only thing that DL could have done to really change things reasonably quickly has been a total disaster... And thats FA which is inexcusably bad.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote