HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will the Kings do with the 1st pick?

Old
03-02-2008, 04:13 PM
lakings41

vCash: 500
With all the Cammi talk and all the Suter love. I wouldn't mind seeing a nice deal with Nashville. They will possibly have two top picks in the first 20 (possible top 5 with Florida's 1st and their own around 15-18).

To Nash: Cammi, Preissing, 1st round pick(Dallas), 2nd rounders (LA + Calgary's)

To LA: Suter and Florida's 1st round pick

We could possibly end up with Stamkos plus a top tier defenseman (Doughty, Schenn, Bogosian, or Pietrangelo). Or two of those D.

I'd like to see some quality over quantity in this draft as this team needs to turn the corner fast.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:36 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
That is very incorrect. The Flyers were dead last last season (you know, the first season without Lombardi). Also, Lombardi wasn't fired; the Flyers agreed to let the Kings hire him.
You are correct and I apologize for my reference to that.

I'm not sure why I said that, but my acutual point in reference to whoever I quote prior was that Lombardi is known more for his ability to evaluate young talent versus being a professional scout as indicated by his FA signings for the Kings.

Also, was that the Flyers seem to be better off without him, but again that was a mistaken reference as the Flyers finished dead last after Lombardi was no longer a part of their organization.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:36 PM
PRMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You should really watch this video to get a sense of the going ons behind the scenes on the 07 draft, http://blues.nhl.tv/team/launch.htm?...4611&catid=179

The Blues' scouting staff acknowledges the Hickey pick as being a 'good, solid pick' in their own words and don't appear to be all that surprised by it.
Thanks for the link. That was incredibly interesting. I always wondered what they talk about at the tables on the phones.

As far as Hickey, they selected him for the Canada Russia Super Series after we picked him and he fit right in. He can flat out fly and covers tons of ice effortlessly. Alzner was great and looked NHL ready, but I'm not sure he'll ever be better than Brad Stuart. Hickey COULD be the next Paul Coffey. He sure looks like it when he skates.

After watching the streams during the Super Series games, I don't feel too bad about the pick. Hickey has far more potential and upside than Alzner. Will he reach it? I don't know. But I don't think it was a horrible pick. Hickey was far undervalued by the scouting services, but apparently another team was going to take him at #6, so there was no way we could move down.

If we end up with #1, we will either move down or take Stamkos. DL won't go off the board at #1 because there are so many quality defensemen available that there will be some deal to be made.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Tadite

Sure good show. Amazing to see... Wish it had been the Kings.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Someone in the Kings has hopefully seen this and plans on doing something like it this year.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Someone in the Kings has hopefully seen this and plans on doing something like it this year.
Would be nice. Boy the Blues wanted to pick up Vorack...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Stamvarhall*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-xcuktoTiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLouR...eature=related

Stamvarhall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Stamvarhall*

I guess you guys wouldnt want that than right? ^ ^ ^ ^

Stamvarhall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmoose View Post
I guess you guys wouldnt want that than right? ^ ^ ^ ^
Huh? We all want Stamkos. But if we miss out on him, we're talking about who we'd like to have in his stead.

Old
03-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Johnny Utah

I still have a feeling DL will go after a defensemen but if we land the #1...he will probably do everything he can with to land Stamkos and or Schenn/Dougherty. Maybe he trades Dallas' pick and a player to a team like Toronto or Tampa Bay...So he can have #1 and #2/3.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Just to relive last summer's draft. Anything could be possible, we don't know what Lombardi or each individual scout is thinking.

Oh and Bob McKenzie does acknowledge the fact that another team had Hickey on their top 5, a team Lombardi felt wasn't too far behind the Kings.

The only real option the Kings had was to swap places with the Oilers, as Lombardi has confirmed it, but that deal fell through so they went ahead and picked the player who was high on their list.

Now with the 2008 draft, we already know who the consensus #1 pick will or should be. Last year it was a question of Kane, Turris or JVR.

After Stamkos, there is no telling how the draft will play out and in what order the defensemen will go.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

And here's the 2006 draft, Lombardi's first. So he's given broadcasters and fans something to talk about for two consecutive drafts. Wonder if he'll make it a third with 08.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Iskandm004

Just wondering would u guys trade down if u get a quality defencemen with a 1st?

Maybe 1st Kaberle for your 1st

Iskandm004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskandm004 View Post
Just wondering would u guys trade down if u get a quality defencemen with a 1st?

Maybe 1st Kaberle for your 1st
Kaberle is kind of redundant when we have Visnovsky and Preissing already.

Only way I could see it is if you sent us your first this year and next for the 1st overall.

Old
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
santiclaws

First, we really don't need to worry about it because the Kings won't win the lottery.

That said, if the incredibly unlikely even that they do win the lottery, it all depends on what the Kings' draft board looks like, which we don't know. But Lombardi has said on several occasions that he chooses the BPA regardless of position. Presumably, that's Stamkos. So, if they get the #1 overall, they'll either A. Pick Stamkos (most likely scenario) or B. Trade down.

If Stamkos is as good as advertised, I'm fairly positive that's who the Kings would go with.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Primakov!

There was a Kings Talk interview wherein he was asked point blank, "Stamkos or Doughty?" and his response was that if the team determines that Stamkos and Doughty are equal in talent then they'll look at taking the guy with the talent at a higher valued position (Goalie > Defense > Center > Winger).

What that's saying is that if it's determined that Stamkos is better than Doughty in the team's estimations then Stamkos is selected. If it's determined that Doughty (D) or another player like Filatov (W) is equal in talent and projection to Stamkos (C) then they'll grab the defenseman in Doughty because of his position. It's all going to come down to what the scouting staff determines is the upside for each player and how they rank in comparison to each other.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
tomd

if the 2nd half of the year counts for anything, Stamkos has certainly cemented his status as the #1 pick.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
if the 2nd half of the year counts for anything, Stamkos has certainly cemented his status as the #1 pick.
Amen

03-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Zeno

He'll draft down and take Bogosian. That's assuming he doesn't trade Cammy for a young dman before that.

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
guzmania

Every time I see this thread title I want to answer "Squander it!"

I don't know why I just do.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
Every time I see this thread title I want to answer "Squander it!"

I don't know why I just do.
Put it all on red!

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
vbaron

I have a feeling DL is secretly hoping to be the #2 pick where he will no doubt feel comfortable taking Doughty with this pick rather than using #1 pick on him

vbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbaron View Post
I have a feeling DL is secretly hoping to be the #2 pick where he will no doubt feel comfortable taking Doughty with this pick rather than using #1 pick on him
On the other hand, he may be secretly hoping to get the #1 pick and take Stamkos then trade a forward/forwards for a young defenseman. just sayin...

Old
03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
vbaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
On the other hand, he may be secretly hoping to get the #1 pick and take Stamkos then trade a forward/forwards for a young defenseman. just sayin...

I like the option. Hoping thats what happens. Trade Cammy maybe for a top 2 defenseman

vbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 05:34 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbaron View Post
I like the option. Hoping thats what happens. Trade Cammy maybe for a top 2 defenseman
agreed...