HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Potvin chant..

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2008, 10:32 AM
dynamoovechkin

vCash: 500
I remember the hit, and not thinking it was dirty at all. It was just that Nilsson was our best scorer at the time, and he was part of the one-two punch with Hedberg that we were liking at the time.

I had forgotten that we BEAT NYI that year in the playoffs. The chant probably started when NYI went on that 4 year run. Yes, Potvin is a yuge ******, and the chant is now part of the fabric of the team. These days, it seems not borne out of hatred or frustration, just kind of a lighthearted tradition.

I can see it being annoying if overdone, but really, I never thought I'd see political correctness seep into the Rangers MSG experience. We're Ranger fans, it's part of the fabric of our being to despise the Isles and have some fun with it. Go with the flow baby!

Old
03-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Potvins Cups

After reading the NY Times article, it seems as if the chant was started out of jealousy.

"At first, there was a real sense of anger behind the chant; the upstart Islanders were the best team in hockey, and Rangers fans were taking out their frustration on Potvin, who became the scapegoat for much of what became a 54-year title drought"

I don't see anything wrong with chanting it at Rag-Islander games. Doing it every game kinda makes it lose it's effectiveness.

Old
03-02-2008, 10:43 AM
DaGoonSquad

Rangers suck **** !!!!! who has the youtube clip of the funniest chant ever at a Islander game ?

Old
03-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Chunklee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potvins Cups View Post
After reading the NY Times article, it seems as if the chant was started out of jealousy.

I don't see anything wrong with chanting it at Rag-Islander games. Doing it every game kinda makes it lose it's effectiveness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo5dKShKrrs move along islander fan, move along

Old
03-02-2008, 11:54 AM
strongbad3689

its not a bad chant but it gets old when its done 20 times a game vs a team besides the isles

btw, how come nobody rags on the devils for basically stealing our chant and turning it into "rangers suck" instead. they use it just as much even when we arent playing them

Old
03-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I love that MSG still chants "Potvin Sucks"...It's tradition, it's something that has been around for what 25 years now? Maybe more! To me it shows how passionate the fans of NY are, and seperates Ranger fans from everyone else. This damn hit happened before half of the Garden Crowd was even born, and the Ranger faithful is still chanting it today. The chant has stood the test of time,and I hope they never get rid of it.

But I have to say, I don't think I have ever heard it more than 5 or 6 times per game, let alone 20. So, is it really that annoying that MSG should stop chanting it? No way! It's bigger than that. It's bigger than a post of a message board. It's history, and the fans of the NY Rangers show thier loyalty tro this org everytime they chant it.

Old
03-02-2008, 12:38 PM
TheCaptain

Every team has a tradition it's like the bleacher creatures chanting the players names in the first inning.....if you have a problem with it then don't join in when the fans say it.

Old
03-02-2008, 01:22 PM
GilliesGirlie

As an Islander fan, I think the chant is great!

It's an intense rivalry, and the silly chants make it more fun. Granted I could understand how some Ranger fans may think it's overused.

I'd just hate to see the chant not be done, although I hate it when the Isles are on the wrong side of the score.

Old
03-02-2008, 02:16 PM
gabevh3

Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
y not have a different chant for every team if anything ? i could understand the devs n isles being boring with the same chant but us ? were a classier team

Old
03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post

It's an intense rivalry, and the silly chants make it more fun. Granted I could understand how some Ranger fans may think it's overused.

I'd just hate to see the chant not be done, although I hate it when the Isles are on the wrong side of the score.

Well said. Hell, I don't even mind when the Islanders do the chicken dance thing towards us. At least I give points for originality, it's kind of amusing. The Devils fans get no points for their "Potvin-esque" chant though because they are completely unoriginal and are only smart enough to copy what other fanbases do.

Old
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
jhnyr

Society today has gotten way too sensitive and skirt-wearing. Everything nowadays offends someone. Or more accurately, it doesn't offend someone, but they latch on to it with manufactured outrage.

You can't look at someone crosseyed without offending some fringe group or cause or God-knows-what. (Sorry, did the mention of God there offend anyone?)

I love going to Ranger games and I have season tickets because sporting events are one of the last bastions of expressing true feelings out there today. I go to the games, I hear the "Potvin Sucks" chant, I hear the "Beat your wife" chant... I hear "These refs suck"... I hear someone shouting for Malik to hit someone with his purse... I hear someone shouting for a Flyer to invest in razor blades... And it's all great. I don't want to go to a game and sit there with my hands folded like a schoolboy watching in complete silence because anything different might offend the overly-sensitive. It's bad enough the game has been skirted on the ice. Now people want it in the stands? No.

It's a sports event. Lighten up. Enjoy the atmosphere. It's not going away. And Tuesday, I'm wearing my "Potvin Sucks" jersey. Yes, I know the history. I couldn't give a fiddler's f--k about who's offended by it. It's part of Rangers history whether we like it or not. And I'm embracing it. Every time I wear it (FWIW, only when we play the Isles, because it's pointless otherwise) I get 1 of 2 reactions: Someone asking me the history behind it... or fans wanting to get a picture of it and offering to buy it from me. The chant's not going away. The real people who haven't been skirted yet still enjoy the history and hilarity.

The chants aren't going away.

(Now... all that being said, I DO hate it when someone tries to start another one 3 milliseconds after the last one stopped. Guys, you have to give it time to settle before starting up another one. But don't ever give it up.)

Old
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
jhnyr

Quote:

Fair play to ya, lad.

You're a fan who gets it. You'll get a beer from me at a game.

Old
03-02-2008, 03:33 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannyNYR View Post
Fair play to ya, lass.

You're a fan who gets it. You'll get a beer from me at a game.
Fixed it for you.

Old
03-02-2008, 03:35 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannyNYR View Post
Society today has gotten way too sensitive and skirt-wearing. Everything nowadays offends someone. Or more accurately, it doesn't offend someone, but they latch on to it with manufactured outrage.

You can't look at someone crosseyed without offending some fringe group or cause or God-knows-what. (Sorry, did the mention of God there offend anyone?)

I love going to Ranger games and I have season tickets because sporting events are one of the last bastions of expressing true feelings out there today. I go to the games, I hear the "Potvin Sucks" chant, I hear the "Beat your wife" chant... I hear "These refs suck"... I hear someone shouting for Malik to hit someone with his purse... I hear someone shouting for a Flyer to invest in razor blades... And it's all great. I don't want to go to a game and sit there with my hands folded like a schoolboy watching in complete silence because anything different might offend the overly-sensitive. It's bad enough the game has been skirted on the ice. Now people want it in the stands? No.

It's a sports event. Lighten up. Enjoy the atmosphere. It's not going away. And Tuesday, I'm wearing my "Potvin Sucks" jersey. Yes, I know the history. I couldn't give a fiddler's f--k about who's offended by it. It's part of Rangers history whether we like it or not. And I'm embracing it. Every time I wear it (FWIW, only when we play the Isles, because it's pointless otherwise) I get 1 of 2 reactions: Someone asking me the history behind it... or fans wanting to get a picture of it and offering to buy it from me. The chant's not going away. The real people who haven't been skirted yet still enjoy the history and hilarity.

The chants aren't going away.

(Now... all that being said, I DO hate it when someone tries to start another one 3 milliseconds after the last one stopped. Guys, you have to give it time to settle before starting up another one. But don't ever give it up.)

Perfectly said. Everyone talks about how great the atmosphere is at MSG..and part of what makes it so good is the chants and the creativity from the fans.

It's like European soccer. They say much worse things there and it's accepted and welcomed. It's fun. And I don't care if people say the same type of stuff about the Rangers in their own building.

Old
03-02-2008, 03:46 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

One of the best chants in hockey. It's part of the metro rivalries... but since Devils AND Islanders do "Rangers Suck"... the Rangers can't do both "ISLES SUCK" and "DEVILS SUCK!"

So they just do Potvin instead

Old
03-02-2008, 04:13 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Fixed it for you.
Even better.

Old
03-02-2008, 04:41 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

About 10 years ago my daughter (then about 14) was doing the cheer at a home game. Some jerk turned to her and said "You probably have no idea who Potvin even was". My daughter shot him a look and said "If Potvin didn't cheap shot Ulf Nielsen in the 1979 playoffs, we would have won The Stanley Cup that year".

I was never so proud in my life.

Honest to God true story.

Old
03-02-2008, 05:02 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Just because of this thread I want to organize a group of people to go to denis potvin's funeral ingonito and and belt out a Potvin sucks chant at the end of the ceremony.

And after that, no, we won't stop the chant at the garden. Maybe we change it to Potvin's dead, but that's my only compromise.

Old
03-02-2008, 05:11 PM
clmetsfan

It's overused, but I still like it. Once a period would be fine for me, but it does get annoying when there are a bunch in a row.

Old
03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
No, its a horrible thing to say, and to my knowledge it was never proven.
Why is it a horrible thing to say? He is the enemy. Let the enemy burn.

Old
03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensink View Post
For what it's worth, I honestly think the most cringe inducing chant was "Drive a Porsche, Potvin!!" back in the '80's.

This came following Pelle Lindbergh's death.
Wasn't that "Drive a Porshe Hextall drive a Porsche!"

Old
03-02-2008, 06:42 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
At least we don't do "Beat Your Wife Potvin, Beat Your Wife" anymore, that was one of the most embarrassing chants as a fan ever.
Come sit in 425, you'll here it. 426 does it around 10 times a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post

and part of what makes it so good is the chants and the creativity from the fans.
Not flaming, but (insert player/team name here) sucks is not being creative.

Its stale. The guy has been out of hockey longer then he actually played.

Bobbop great story.

Old
03-02-2008, 07:19 PM
HockeyBurd*

I've hated it for the longest time. It's shows very little dignity. And the fact that so many are oblivious to this makes it even worse.

I have to say however... the way that MSG is these days, if it wasn't for the Potvin chant the entire arena would be silent. Well, except for when they boo their own players.

Say what you want about Montreal fans but it's obvious that arena is filled with die-harders. MSG, not so much.

Old
03-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I love that MSG still chants "Potvin Sucks"...It's tradition, it's something that has been around for what 25 years now? Maybe more! To me it shows how passionate the fans of NY are, and seperates Ranger fans from everyone else. This damn hit happened before half of the Garden Crowd was even born, and the Ranger faithful is still chanting it today. The chant has stood the test of time,and I hope they never get rid of it.

But I have to say, I don't think I have ever heard it more than 5 or 6 times per game, let alone 20. So, is it really that annoying that MSG should stop chanting it? No way! It's bigger than that. It's bigger than a post of a message board. It's history, and the fans of the NY Rangers show thier loyalty tro this org everytime they chant it.
What a crock. I used to think that until I saw Montreal fans cheer their team to a victory. Those fans cheered as hard when it was 5-0 as it was 5-5.

Separates them the wrong way. Ranger fans are worthless when it comes to supporting their team. You have to net 4 consecutive goals for them to keep the slightest positive buzz in the air alive. Otherwise up start the Malik boos, the yells of "shoot", the increasing anger at the team from the crowd.

I say this because I sit with them many times in a year. Thank god they come around somewhat in the playoffs, it's the least they could do.

Last edited by Anthony Mauro: 03-02-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old
03-02-2008, 07:40 PM
MountVancouver'94

You think the fishstick fans got tired of saying 1940? Ummm.....no.

Two things I do hate: 1) when 17 yrs olds do the whistle. (New Rule: You have to be old enough to have seen Potvin actually play.) 2) Guys who can't whistle and can't find the melody at all.

Closed Thread