HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

perrault healthy scratch against chicago does this mean trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 09:59 PM
go habsgo

vCash: 500
perrault healthy scratch against chicago does this mean trade

he was replaced by chad kilger healthy is there a possible trade what do you guys think

Old
02-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by go habsgo
he was replaced by chad kilger healthy is there a possible trade what do you guys think
The guy has been a healthy scratch on and off for the last couple months. This has nothing to do with a trade I'd assume...

Old
02-01-2004, 10:08 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
This does not mean trade. This means that Montreal doesn`t need him and he is expendable. Anybody need him?

Old
02-01-2004, 10:08 PM
go habsgo

perrault

i dont think gainey will trade att all this year because hes waiting to long and any way who do you want to trade

Old
02-01-2004, 10:19 PM
neelynugs

hilarious- it means he sucks
seriously- put him on the ice for a faceoff, airlift him back to the bench, and he's a hall of famer

Old
02-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Riggins

Agree, he just sucks

I'd much rather have Langdon-Begin-Kilger than Perreault in there.

Old
02-02-2004, 12:16 AM
tiredman

Perreault isn't a really bad player....

Old
02-02-2004, 12:40 AM
StilesBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456
Perreault isn't a really bad player....
Wow, you showed them!

Really though, has he been that bad? I haven't been able to watch any Habs games this year, but always remember Perreault as a solid faceoff man with good scoring ability. The only knock I had against him was size, but he seemed to get the job done the last few years (45+ points with a top faceoff % the last 4 years)

What's changed?

Old
02-02-2004, 12:48 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

depending on the prognosis on rem murray, i could see the preds offering a pick for him. when we win faceoffs..we win games. however, if rem looks to be returning this season(which he hopes to) there really isn't a spot for perreault.

Old
02-02-2004, 12:49 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilesBC
Wow, you showed them!

Really though, has he been that bad? I haven't been able to watch any Habs games this year, but always remember Perreault as a solid faceoff man with good scoring ability. The only knock I had against him was size, but he seemed to get the job done the last few years (45+ points with a top faceoff % the last 4 years)

What's changed?
It's quite simple. He use to be 2nd line centre. Ribeiro has prooven to be superior. So there is no room for him on the top two lines. He is used sporadicaly on the fourth line... but being paired with guys like Langdon, Kilger and Begin: He can't produce. He is not strong physicaly or defensively so he doesn't fit the role of a 10 minute a game spark plug.

He can score 20-25 goals for you and is ok as a 2nd line centre and top face-off man. There just isn't any more room for him here.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:43 AM
Patty Roy

Perreault was scratched because of his play, not because he's necessarily about to be traded.

I don't really think Yanic is all that bad...he's awful on the Habs 4th line right now, but if you are a below average team and Yanic can crack one of your top 2 lines, you really could do worse. He's obviously a terrific face/off man, and can be counted on for roughly 25 goals when given top 2 line icetime.

Unfortunately what Yanic is not is an "energy" player. That's the type of guy the Habs need on the 4th line, and Steve Begin has been spectacular in that role so far this season for the Habs.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:13 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Yanic doesn't have the set of defensive skills to play on the bottom two lines. When placed down there, he is nothing but a liability. He needs top two line ice time to produce. He's not going to score when he's put on a line with Langdon, a guy who hasn't score for how many years now? It's as simple as that. A change of teams would do him well.

Old
02-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilesBC
Wow, you showed them!

What's changed?
I could see Atlanta possibly trying to pick him up. I was watching a bit of Heatley's return and they were interviewing Waddell and he was saying they were looking for a centerman who could win him faceoffs.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:18 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Perrault can score 30-40 pts per season on the 2nd line. He's not that bad compared to some of the other **** that plays in the NHL.

Year Team League GP G A Pts +/- PIM Shots Sh%
2002-03 Montreal NHL 73 24 22 46 -11 30 145 16.55
2001-02 Montreal NHL 82 27 29 56 -3 40 156 17.31
2000-01 Toronto NHL 76 24 28 52 0 52 134 17.91
1999-00 Toronto NHL 58 18 27 45 +3 22 114 15.79

Old
02-02-2004, 06:54 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Why don't the Habs just use him to take the defensive zone face offs, then quickly get him off the ice for the new center..........I mean wasting his face off skills is an utter shame. People do not realize how important face-offs are, until their team cannot win a faceoff if their life depended on it. It kills the power play, ruins the pk, and hurts your 5 on 5 play as well.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Why don't the Habs just use him to take the defensive zone face offs, then quickly get him off the ice for the new center..........I mean wasting his face off skills is an utter shame. People do not realize how important face-offs are, until their team cannot win a faceoff if their life depended on it. It kills the power play, ruins the pk, and hurts your 5 on 5 play as well.
Montreal has done this for months.

Then once Begin (a centerman who's a strong faceoff man himself) was back, Perreault became more or less a liability again. He didn't do exceptionally well in the faceoff circle against the B's, failed miserably offensively despite being given PP time, and Begin plays much better down the middle than at wing. Added to that, Perreault takes away from the energy that the fourth line should provide.

There's nothing new with Perreault. It's the same old with him. I said he was overrated and a liability to the club last season and the season before that in Montreal, and received nothing but arguments about his abilities as a 'good' second line center in the league.

The only situation Perreault thrives is on an expansion or rebuilding team. Anywhere else he's a liability. He's not a system player, struggles to handle the puck in the neutral zone, struggles mightily with pass reception, has trouble dishing the puck off to his wingers (a key component to being a good center), and he's abysmal in all three zones along the boards. Defensively, Perreault is always with his man--right behind him, rarely in good position to prevent a scoring chance.

The reason he can thrive on an expansion team is because he's got a heck of a shot and is good off the draw. He is a threat to score whenever he's got the puck around the slot area, and does have a knack to jump on loose pucks when they're around the lip of the crease.

As harsh as I may sound on his game, I have no hatred for the guy. He seems like a good person and willing to help his team, so he's not a cancer from any indications I've seen. But the simple fact of the matter is Perreault's a limited player and plays within those limitations, seemingly without intention of improving (at least adding some intensity; throwing a bodycheck here and there).

For these reasons, I don't expect Perreault to be moved. I don't see a trade market for him. Perhaps a free agent market, though.

Perreault can also be useful down the stretch to Montreal. Neither Koivu nor Ribeiro are all that proven in the durability side of things. Both are undersized. It'll be a long playoff run, then a playoff series; lots of tough hockey. It's conceivable that one will go down for a chunk of time and the Habs would be in desperate need of another scoring center since you don't want to see Juneau or Begin on a scoring line. Perreault would be okay as a fill-in.

Old
02-02-2004, 12:50 PM
go habsgo

gainey

who thinks gainey will make a decent trade before the march 9th deadline

Old
02-02-2004, 01:50 PM
All-Star

Quote:
who thinks gainey will make a decent trade before the march 9th deadline
The only decent trades he could do would be to acquire picks and/or prospects for some Habs veterans/UFAs.

Montreal isn't ready to go for the cup, so trading for a veteran would just take a spot from a younger player in the lineup. Too many GMs have screwed-up their team's future by trying to rebuild too fast. I doubt Gainey will be one of them.

Closed Thread