HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie situation going into next year

Old
03-02-2008, 02:03 AM
nail2rhn2hall

vCash: 500
Goalie situation going into next year

Who will be the Hawks #1 goalie going into the 2008-2009 season?

Is Khabibulin going to be back?

Will Lalime be the guy?

What about Corey Crawford?

Any chance the Hawks bring in another veteran to start?

nail2rhn2hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 02:46 AM
The Fuhr*

Khabby will be the starter and Crawford will backup getting 30-35 starts.

The hockey news future watch addition has Crawford as one of the hawks top prospects. Tallon had this to say about Crawford
“His preparation and approach are solid”
“He’s right on schedule”
“He’s big, strong and has tremendous desire”
“He doesn’t let a lot of things bother him.”

Hawks expect him to be the starter by the 09/10 season.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
John Jaeckel

I'm not a big fan of Crawford. I think he might end up being a career backup. He has not dominated with a pretty good team in front of him the last two years in the AHL. I guess it's good that he doesn't get rattled by letting in a goal, because he lets in a fair share of them!

I also wonder if Khabibulin will be around next year. The injury plus the salary=not good. The Hawks have ample cap room to buy him out and still make a move or two this off-season.

There was a rumor floating around before the deadline, the Hawks were interested in Jaroslav Halak from Montreal. Which, if true, is very telling vis a vis what they really think about Crawford.

They were also in serious talks with Ottawa about swapping Khabibulin and Lalime for Emery and Gerber. Tim Sassone reported that Ottawa backed out due to Khabibulin's salary. And that story is true. Again, somewhat telling with regard to the Hawks feelings about Bulin, at the very least. And the way they're talking about his back now seems like they're preparing the fan base for an "end-game" with him.

I could easily see the Hawks buying out Khabibulin, re-signing Lalime and bringing in another goaltender at about Crawford's stage of development (like Halak) to fight it out for the #2/future#1 role.

The Hawks are on a development curve that puts them probably two years away from serious Cup contention. Next year should be another step forward. But two years from now, does anyone see Khabibulin as the goalie who will take the Hawks to the Cup finals? I don't.

John Jaeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Metallian*

I also don't see much upside to Crawford. It's not like Moncton has a good track record for developing goalies...

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Howatt8*

Don't Know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandRosebud1926 View Post
Who will be the Hawks #1 goalie going into the 2008-2009 season?

Is Khabibulin going to be back?

Will Lalime be the guy?

What about Corey Crawford?

Any chance the Hawks bring in another veteran to start?
But its a nice problem to have.

Howatt8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 07:30 AM
lfchockey*

I think if the Lalime/Khabibulin to Ottawa for Gerber/Emery was a legit offer, then that was our chance to get rid of Khabby's contract.
It makes me think that we've got bigger and better plans for Lalime. He has looked like a definite number one pretty much all season and looks a lot like he did when playing on the Sens of old. I'm a little worried at how much he'll want when his contract comes up this summer. A goalie of his calibre will be in high demand.

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
not dominator

Clearly Wade Flaherty is the future

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfchockey View Post
I think if the Lalime/Khabibulin to Ottawa for Gerber/Emery was a legit offer, then that was our chance to get rid of Khabby's contract.
It makes me think that we've got bigger and better plans for Lalime. He has looked like a definite number one pretty much all season and looks a lot like he did when playing on the Sens of old. I'm a little worried at how much he'll want when his contract comes up this summer. A goalie of his calibre will be in high demand.
Ill guess 2 years 5mill (2.5 a season) I think thats max too.

Hawksfan2828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Piffle

Crawford supposedly getting the start tonight against Anaheim. I personally don't think he is even NHL backup quality right now. His positioning was really, really bad when he came in for Lalime last week. I would love to be wrong about that.

I would love for us to sign Lalime for a few years and trade Khabi away over the summer, even if we have to basically give him away. He is too inconsistent. I'm also afraid that some other team will snap him up as a starter if we don't.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
Crawford supposedly getting the start tonight against Anaheim. I personally don't think he is even NHL backup quality right now. His positioning was really, really bad when he came in for Lalime last week. I would love to be wrong about that.

I would love for us to sign Lalime for a few years and trade Khabi away over the summer, even if we have to basically give him away. He is too inconsistent. I'm also afraid that some other team will snap him up as a starter if we don't.
I agree his positoning is off. Especially when hes down butterfly he cant seem to keep position when hes down like that.

Hawksfan2828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 11:26 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:

Crawford got a SO. Tallon is really high on Crawford.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Piffle

Quote:

Sometimes I love to be wrong!

Crawford looked awesome tonight. I didn't see him out of position once.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 07:02 AM
lfchockey*

Crawf looked great.
I wonder if giving him that much time to prepare for this game helped him to focus more?

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

It's so hard to tell with goalies, but shutting out the Cup champions is a good start.

Crazy_Ike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
jaydub*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeckel View Post
I'm not a big fan of Crawford. I think he might end up being a career backup. He has not dominated with a pretty good team in front of him the last two years in the AHL. I guess it's good that he doesn't get rattled by letting in a goal, because he lets in a fair share of them!

I also wonder if Khabibulin will be around next year. The injury plus the salary=not good. The Hawks have ample cap room to buy him out and still make a move or two this off-season.

There was a rumor floating around before the deadline, the Hawks were interested in Jaroslav Halak from Montreal. Which, if true, is very telling vis a vis what they really think about Crawford.

They were also in serious talks with Ottawa about swapping Khabibulin and Lalime for Emery and Gerber. Tim Sassone reported that Ottawa backed out due to Khabibulin's salary. And that story is true. Again, somewhat telling with regard to the Hawks feelings about Bulin, at the very least. And the way they're talking about his back now seems like they're preparing the fan base for an "end-game" with him.

I could easily see the Hawks buying out Khabibulin, re-signing Lalime and bringing in another goaltender at about Crawford's stage of development (like Halak) to fight it out for the #2/future#1 role.

The Hawks are on a development curve that puts them probably two years away from serious Cup contention. Next year should be another step forward. But two years from now, does anyone see Khabibulin as the goalie who will take the Hawks to the Cup finals? I don't.
from what i hear crawford got hung out to dry a lot last year. i still dont know if he is capable of being a #1 goalie though, but next year will go far in determining that. if not i think the hawks need to be in the market for a guy like halak

jaydub* is offline   Reply With Quote