HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Questions

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 07:55 PM
ParisSaintGermain

vCash: 500
Questions

I would like to have your opinion over those following questions:

1- Globally are you happy with what the team has done so far this season?
2- How do you rate Langkow performances?
3- Is Vaananen developping as you expected he would?
4- Should the Coyotes trade Brad Ference?
5- Are the Coyotes missing an enforcer/fighter?
6- What should the Coyotes do with Dan Cleary?
7- Which player(s) should Barnett try to get?
8- Has Kolanos lost his chance in this organisation?
9- Which one of the non AHL prospects is the most likely to make it to the NHL?
10- What do you expect of Jakub Koreis?
11- Are you happy with Bobby Francis? If not, who would you like to see as head coach?
12- Over the last five years, do you think the Coyotes has improved as an organisation?

Sorry that is a lot in one post. But by curiosity I would be happy to have a general feeling about what the fans think. Thanks!

Old
02-01-2004, 09:30 PM
ducky

I would have to say yes - with the exception of Springfield. I think their season is very disappointing.

A core player.

Not as dominating as I would like. Still too inconsistent.

No.

I don't think so. The way the game is going the player needs to be able to play. Nazarov is adequate.

Keep him. We need his speed.

In no particular order - Huselius, Jason Smith, Ryan Smyth, Joe Thornton Ryan Getzlaf. Biggest issue is what happens with the upcoming labour dispute - do you rebuild ahead of the pack and go for really young and cheap or do you keep to the current plan and add a few missing pieces?

He shouldn't have. Let him try to redeem himslef next season (or after we trade vets at teh deadline).

Ben Eager.

To develop into a solid 3rd line checker with some offense.

11- Are you happy with Bobby Francis? If not, who would you like to see as head coach?
Other than our specialty teams and the handling of some of the youth I think he has done a great job. I have always hoped to bring in Pat Burns. Or Hitchcock. Both have jobs though.

12- Over the last five years, do you think the Coyotes has improved as an organisation?
Yes.

Old
02-01-2004, 09:40 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Thanks for your anwers, Ducky!

Old
02-01-2004, 10:07 PM
hbk

Few would have predicted Phoenix to sit at .500 by the beginning of February. Very pleased.

Slightly disappointed. He's no longer our top forward which is more of a compliment for Doan and Nagy than a slight against Langkow. Langkow should be a second line guy but he's our number one.

He has more talent that his points indicate but I've come to accept that he's more of a punishing type player. He's where he should be in terms of his development curve.

Depends on the return. I would say we shouldn't rely on him to be anything more than a fifth/sixth defenseman.

Yes.

4th line duty and play him on the penalty kill. Occassionally rotate him through the pressbox. Were not paying him a hell of a lot so we shouldn't be worrying about him too much. If anything, he's exceeded my expectations.

Ovechkin. Steven Weiss. We're still in rebuilding mode. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

No but he's on thin ice. He has to earn another opportunity.

Ben Eager - I think he'll be better than advertised.

Top end is a third line checking center. A big body who makes us a better team. He looks like he's coming around in the OHL. He lost a year of development last year with limited playing time over in the Czech republic. I don't think we should be writing him off yet. He is already signed as well so he is part of the future.

Yes. We've exceeded expectations. The home record may get him the boot though. He's been with us a long time and at some time in the near future he will likely be replaced. Who knows who's going to be available at that point in time. I've always thought a lot of John Paddock's work as a coach but his history with the franchise likely precludes him from consideration.

Definately. Better depth. Better prospects. Better record. More exciting team.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:22 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk

Few would have predicted Phoenix to sit at .500 by the beginning of February. Very pleased.

Slightly disappointed. He's no longer our top forward which is more of a compliment for Doan and Nagy than a slight against Langkow. Langkow should be a second line guy but he's our number one.

He has more talent that his points indicate but I've come to accept that he's more of a punishing type player. He's where he should be in terms of his development curve.

Depends on the return. I would say we shouldn't rely on him to be anything more than a fifth/sixth defenseman.

Yes.

4th line duty and play him on the penalty kill. Occassionally rotate him through the pressbox. Were not paying him a hell of a lot so we shouldn't be worrying about him too much. If anything, he's exceeded my expectations.

Ovechkin. Steven Weiss. We're still in rebuilding mode. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

No but he's on thin ice. He has to earn another opportunity.

Ben Eager - I think he'll be better than advertised.

Top end is a third line checking center. A big body who makes us a better team. He looks like he's coming around in the OHL. He lost a year of development last year with limited playing time over in the Czech republic. I don't think we should be writing him off yet. He is already signed as well so he is part of the future.

Yes. We've exceeded expectations. The home record may get him the boot though. He's been with us a long time and at some time in the near future he will likely be replaced. Who knows who's going to be available at that point in time. I've always thought a lot of John Paddock's work as a coach but his history with the franchise likely precludes him from consideration.

Definately. Better depth. Better prospects. Better record. More exciting team.
By better prospects I assume you mean the non AHL ones and Taffe, Sjostrom and Spiller.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:26 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
By better prospects I assume you mean the non AHL ones and Taffe, Sjostrom and Spiller.
true enough. I should have used something along the lines of better, more talented youth. I could have also gone on how we seem to be drafting with a game plan rather than just throwing darts like we may have been guilty of in the past.

Old
02-02-2004, 01:11 AM
ParisSaintGermain

[QUOTE=hbk]

Funny enough I was watching the Panthers-Avalanche game the other day and I thought that Weiss was coming along nicely. I was wondering as well how good he could be if he was playing with two better wingers. I think he will produce some real good stuff soon.

Thanks HBK for taking the time to answer my questions. Much appreciated

Old
02-02-2004, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
I'm happy that they have shown the ability to be a playoff team, but "globally" I am not happy with the team as it seems there is a major lack of productive consistency, the youth on the blueline has been a disadvantage, and there have been too many floaters.
I've been happy with Langkow's performance this season as he has remained the top center, even though he is more a #2 quality with no one on the team to overttake him. His faceoff's are atrocious, which is probably a sign of the number of faceoffs he took last year compared to this year. He probably was able to pad his stats playing favorably against the poor drawmen, and breaking even against the good ones. He is not an elite drawman, but again a guy that would function taking on the 2nd tier of faceoffs. His point production and consistency has been something I expected and am satisfied with.
No, I had thought he would really jump into a solid #2 position behind Mara or Tanabe this season as a Adam Foote kind of defender for solid play. It's likely just a down season, and I expect him to play better next season with the experience and maybe a little more guidance added to the blueline to cover for any mistakes he makes.
No, he has not performed to expectations for a 1st round pick yet in his career, but he is still young enough and has shown some grit, as well as bad mistakes, but he is still developing. Another year or two will make or break his career. Like everyone on the team, he could be had for the right price, but not less than the 2nd round pick and NHL ready prospect given up for him.
Yes, but it is not entirely necessary. The NHL is shying away from goons, and you have a guy like Nazarov that can be thrown into the lineup for a similar effect. A guy like Laraque would be a good addition, but I can't say it's the reason this team is losing.
Keep him, he's proven to be a valuable signing much as the Cale Hulse signing was over the summer. He's not going to be the 1st rounder that he was projected to be, much like Gratton and perhaps Ference, but if he serves a role on the team, let him be.
Laraque appears available, but has a hefty price tag for who he is. Likely a player that would draw fans to the arena and be a fan favorite for the beer consumers at the game. Jeff O'Neill is a player that would give us an increased offensive impact, but the return on such a player would likely deplete the lineup too much. Bob Boughner or Jason Smith on the blueline to provide a veteran defensive presence, as well as play some solid stay-at-home physical defense. Continue to give Dave Draper stock picks to develop the farm system and work on speed, skill, and toughness in appropriate areas.
He's a bust at this point, I don't want it to be so, but players at his age don't recover well if their heads are not skreded on tight.
Wish I knew more about it, but I won't try to act like I know what I'm talking about for leagues I don't see.
Read response to 9.
No. I don't like the defensive game going around the NHL today, and while I doubt the Coyotes have the skill to play a more wide-open style, the dump and chase isn't working when we don't have the team speed to do the chase. The special teams never seem to click and being middle of the pack is considered a success at this point. I don't know much about the coaches out there, again I only see what happens in the NHL, so I can't say who I would prefer as a coach. Someone like Joel Quenville seems like a good fit when his contract expires, but I see Pat Conacher as the next Coyotes coach for no approriate reason.
Most definitely. When you look at 5 years ago, we had Letowski, Suchy, Doig, Briere, Isbister, Focht, Lintner, and Esche on the farm. Only 1/2 of those players ended up making it to the NHL and having a real career at this point, where as there should be more developing from the current class if you consider the likes of Sjostrom, Taffe, Spiller, and others like Lenny, Pelletier, McLeod, Kolanos, Bezina, etc, etc. Five years ago we had an NHL team that was a playoff team, but little more than that. Today we are at that same level, a notch below, but are comparitively lower on the salary which will prepare us for the next CBA. I would say we have a team that is appropriate for our market now, which is the first time in many years that could be said of this franchise.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:10 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Thanks GoCoyotes for your interesting contribution.

I am tempted to ask a 13th question!

13- Out of the other 29th franchises, which one do you think the Coyotes should take their inspiration from?

Old
02-02-2004, 03:14 AM
hbk

Quote:
Thanks GoCoyotes for your interesting contribution.

I am tempted to ask a 13th question!

13- Out of the other 29th franchises, which one do you think the Coyotes should take their inspiration from?

Ottawa or New Jersey.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:20 AM
ducky

Ottawa (my second favourite team!)

Old
02-02-2004, 05:18 AM
vsmith

More or less.

Very good.

So far he's not close to be the second Teppo Numminen.

Yes.

Naz is enough.

Whatever they want. I never really cared much about this acqusition.

Martis St.Louis. :p

No idea. Depends on him, I suppose...

I'd love to say Pestunov but I'm not really sure...

Nothing special.

More or less.

yes.

13 - Tampa

Old
02-02-2004, 07:26 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Thanks vsmith!

Old
02-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Waldo

Quote:

yes. definelty show promise
on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate him an 8
no. expected some offense and better D
no - just like they should not have given away Simpson.
no - are not missing muscle
keep him - was a good pickup
young prospects
no - will be allowed to challenge at training camp.
9- Which one of the non AHL prospects is the most likely to make
it to the NHL?
Eager - can also help out question #5
3rd or 4th line centre
11- Are you happy with Bobby Francis? If not, who would you like to see as head coach? No. Randy Carlisle the former Norris trophy winner who played for the Jets. Currently assistant for Caps (the kiss of death for aspiring head coaches.) He was a miracle worker running the Moose as both coach and GM until the Canucks became their sponsor who wanted Stan Smyl to be coach.
12- Over the last five years, do you think the Coyotes has improved as an organisation? absolutely. They improved big time.

Sorry that is a lot in one post. But by curiosity I would be happy to have a general feeling about what the fans think. Thanks!

Old
02-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Yotes03

No, only the Heater could be happy with a .500 hockey team.

Disappointing.

It seems like he's going downhill since his rookie year.

Absolutely...once Tanabe gets healthy.

No

Keep him as a fourth liner/penalty killer.

Any physical, stay home defensmen.

No, he'll get one more shot.

Eager

Not much.

11- Are you happy with Bobby Francis? If not, who would you like to see as head
coach?
I'm starting to lose my patience...Keenan!

They've improved their organization, but no their on ice product.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:

1. Not really. Then again I didn't expect much from this team from the start, so the fact they were/are in the playoff race for a short period of time, that was a nice surprise. I don't think they'll make it though.

2. Langkow is great. Very underrated. He hasn't really had a real consistant year scoring goals, but he is still putting up points. He is definitely one of the top players on the team.

3. No. I was hoping he would've shown a little more this season. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later. Otherwise I'll start to worry a little...

4. Yes. He makes too much money (then again that is a problem in itself, as far as trading him). I wouldn't mind keeping him around because I believe you can never have too many physical defensemen. But I would rather have a bigger, more aggressive, and mean defenseman instead.

5. Definitely. Nazarov isn't bad if he actually dressed. Since he doesn't we miss that element a lot this season. Many times out there we look flat and don't seem to have any answer for it. If they aren't going to play Nazarov go out and acquire a guy that they will play.

6. He is cheap enough, keep him around for a little while. I don't think he'll turn into anything great and I don't think we will miss him a whole lot if he is gone. But we got him cheap, just see if anything happens.

7. We need defensemen. Experienced ones. I would like to get another physical defenseman, personally. Also an enforcer if we aren't going to play Nazarov. Other than that, I don't see the need for much else.

8. No he hasn't, but he should. He is done...

9. Ben Eager.

10. Pretty much the same as everyone else. I don't think much of him at all...

11. No. I wish we could get a guy in here like Ted Nolan, or Mike Keenan, Barry Melrose, (or one of the Sutter brothers) etc. A tough hard nosed coach. I doubt any of those would ever coach here (for obvious reasons) but I would like to hope and dream that it might happen one day.

12. They have for the long term. But not for the short term. In the end though, it should all work out for the better, IMO.

Old
02-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
No, I expected and still am expecting Phoenix to make the playoffs. Calgary and Nashville currently have inferior rosters to the 'Yotes IMO.
Quote:
I think Daymond has been a solid contributor, but certainley isn't playing over his head.
Quote:
No I thought he'd be better this year, but Vaananen hasn't played poorly by any means, so there is still a lot of hope, just more wait and see, I guess.
Quote:
If the right offer comes along, but no need to press a trade and end up getting shafted. Ference is a good defenseman.
Quote:
I don't think so.
Quote:
Put him on waivers, if I were coach, there wouldn't be a spot in the lineup for him.
Quote:
Tough to say specifically who, but probably a top 4 D-man who is under contract for next year and has good experience. Probably would cost a ton, but why not try?
Quote:
Not yet, If he really turns things around, I doubt he will be ignored.
Quote:
Eager
Quote:
Nothing, he's big but doesn't have the skill set needed to be a scorer. Can his game be converted into a checking style?.... maybe, but I'm not counting on it.
Quote:
No, he needs to open things up a little, obviously PHX isn't a top offensive team, but they're better than Francis gives his team credit for. I nominate Pete DeBoer as his replacement.
Quote:
I do, aside from monetary things like a better building and stable ownership, I like the direction they are going from a player personnal standpoint and I think this team will consistantley make the playoffs in the near future.

Good idea for a thread ParisSaintGermain, I may have to steal it and do a questionaire like this on the Red Wings board.

Last edited by Boomhower: 02-02-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old
02-02-2004, 11:30 PM
YotesFan

Quote:

Old
02-03-2004, 12:18 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Thanks Yotes03, Hordichuk_24 and Boomhower for your honest posts.

I am delighted by how many of you, guys, have spent the time to read and answer this avalanche of questions.

Old
02-03-2004, 03:33 PM

13. I'd definitely say Ottawa would be the top of my list, for several reasons. They have built through the draft and are among the league's elite with a modest payroll dwarfed by the giants. They are a young and skilled team who have dynasty potential in the new environment of the future CBA. For some reason they had been a softer team in the early building blocks, but they are addressing that now and have the depth available to fill holes at any position or role.

New Jersey, while an interesting model, is a defensive system with players that are pretty interchangeable. While it's a successful formula, I would not like to see the Coyotes adopt the same philosophy, and even many in New Jersey would suggest they don't approve (poor attendance for a Cup contender/winner).

Old
02-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Dan

-I expected a .500 team and that's what we are seeing. The playoffs would be great, but I don't think they will make it.
-A notch below what we saw of him last year. It could be contributed to Johnson though. The homer line made all three look good.
-Yes, he makes the occasional bonehead mistake, but I think he's doing fine.
-Not at this time. Without Tanabe, we need him.
-Not in my opinion, Naz is fine and can play the game as well.
-For the money, he's been a good addition. He's an effective killer and speed is good for the fourth line. As long as you don't put him in a postion to provide offense for you, he will be used correctly.
-I don't know. Cheap, young players that will help us win.
No
Everybody is saying Eager, I'll go against the grain and say Matt Jones.
Same as everyone else, hard working, strong, third liner.
I'm not as happy as I used to be. He did a good of of beating expectations a few years ago. Last year he did not get the most out of his players, mostly due to injuries. This year he's meeting expectations.
There is no doubt.

Old
02-03-2004, 06:16 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Cheers Dan!

Old
02-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Overall, yes. Mostly Im pleased with the progress of the young players.. namely Tanabe, Doan, Nagy and Boucher. Like everyone else, disappointed about Springfield.

Not as strong as I would like - wish we had the Homer line together. But still easily the most valuable center we have. Just wish he was our No.2

Yes. He's still very young. I dont have any expectations of offense from him, just learning his trade as a shut down man.

Yes. The market is excellent now for NHL defensemen. He might be a 2nd pairing defenseman but I think we can get a premium. If not, then keep him obviously

No. Naz can do it. Eager in the future maybe or we can grab one off waivers. No big deal to me.

Whatever. Like a poster (vsmith?) said.. doesnt really matter. Pity he never made it to Springfield.

Mike Green Cant really think of an affordable option. I'd like him to garner lots of 2nd and 3rd round picks for our draft team.

No. He has another year to turn it around. I hope he buckles down like he did his first year when he was playing his guts out for his future.

Um. I'll go for Matt Jones.

Third line checker. Doesnt look like he'll be ready for years.

Pass. I tend not to judge coaches too quickly.. I'd rather leave it up to management and the players.

Yep.. they have tried to prepare well for the future. Lets hope for the best.

Old
02-05-2004, 04:10 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Thanks Stevex!

Old
02-05-2004, 04:26 PM
PhoPhan

I'll throw in my thoughts.

Not in the least. I wanted one of two things: a spot in either the playoffs or the basement. I said if they don't make the playoffs, I want them in dead last. I am sick of this gray area of not good enough for the playoffs and not bad enough for a decent pick.

He has performed as I expected. He has overachieved the last few years, and he is a true #2. He works fine on the top line on this team, and has obviously been a key to Doan's success.

It seems to me as though his development has plateaued for now. I was expecting him to be a clear-cut #1 on this team by now, and it looks like at the moment he is behind Mara and Tanabe as far as development.

Nope. Too much potnential to justify dealing him right now, unless a team is willing to pay full value (which I doubt right now)

Sort of. Nazarov is not an enforcer. We all know he has some offensive talent, but he never uses it. His fights consist of bear hugs and nothing more. Nash is a great pest, but no enforcer. Perhaps McLachlan or Eager may be sped along? I would love it if Hordichuk were brought back or if a heavyweight like Laraque was brought in, but I doubt it.

Keep him. He is starting to click with Langkow and Doan. Anyway, he is a decent lower line scorer and has a 2-way contract.

Whatever Burke, Gratton, Hulse or Sillinger will retrieve.

Doubt it. This team loves giving other players second chances, why would they give up on Krys?

Eager is almost a lock, on his fighting alone. I still think Pietrasiak will be very good, but there is a logjam at that position right now. I'll throw Redenbach in there too.

I expect nothing more than defense-first 3rd or 4th liner.

11- Are you happy with Bobby Francis? If not, who would you like to see as head
coach?
I have disliked Francis since day 1 (the mustache has always given me a sense of "this guy doesn't belong"), but it is starting to get really bad. I don't want a Mike Keenan-type guy who has been around. I want some new blood. Give someone from the minors or from overseas a shot. Hardy Nilsson would be my choice. Kent Forsberg could mean seeing St. Peter in Phoenix, but I doubt it.

Most definitely. Gone are the days of Tkachuk-Roenick-No one else. This team has depth, and more importantly, direction. The prospect depth is much better than it ever was.

Closed Thread